• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Gunn and Peter Safran are the new co-CEOs of DC Studios

AmuroChan

Not sure how this will work out, but at least Gunn actually knows the source material, unlike his predecessors.

Awesome news. Gunn is the man.

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Nice. I predicted on Twitter a week or so ago that Gunn would have a hand in the new direction of DCEU. Go me.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
For anyone who may have held a hankering for the return of Jared Leto as The Joker, here's a reminder of when James Gunn basically called him a paedophile on Twitter:

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If James Gunn, a director who got fired by Disney, doesnt have sympathy for Snyder who also got fired then he can shove off.

Wont watch anything unless he greenlights JL2 an JL3 with Snyder.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
DC expanded universe is so messed up it needs the guidance.

It doesn't necessarily have to be messed up, moving forward. Just get better writers and directors in, and the DCEU can be okay.

The biggest problem they have is Batman - the most popular character of them all.

Right now, they have a Batman off in his own financially and critically successful universe, that is tonally completely different from everything else, so he can't join the shared universe.

So, bring Batfleck back? But Affleck is now 50. He's not getting any younger, and it'd be a long time before they could get him back in front of the camera again. And they can't do solo movies with him, as that'd clash with Reeves's universe, so it's shared movies only. Which I guess would be easier for Affleck as he gets older and older.

Any further Justice League movies would be based off Josstice League (because that's the one most people have seen, like it or not).

I feel a little mor optimistic with Gunn in charge, but it's never going to challenge the MCU. Any chance of that happening is long over.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
They just need a justice league Batman and then they can have a solo movie Batman. I mean they had multiple bats in the comics. Get a Batman that is in his 30s and just a member of the justice league already. No need to explain it.

Well it is a mess so they are trying to fix it. So that is promising.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They just need a justice league Batman and then they can have a solo movie Batman. I mean they had multiple bats in the comics. Get a Batman that is in his 30s and just a member of the justice league already. No need to explain it.

Well it is a mess so they are trying to fix it. So that is promising.

I think I'd actually prefer Batfleck back to yet another Batman for the DCEU movies. His look and tone fits in better with big, dumb, bombastic tone of Black Adam and Aquaman.

MastaKiiLA

If James Gunn, a director who got fired by Disney, doesnt have sympathy for Snyder who also got fired then he shove off.

I'm a Snyder stan, and I'm ready for him to move on to other projects. He won't be able to complete his vision, and that's fine. I think he got all the redemption he needs getting the Snyder Cut released.

Personally, I'd like to see him take on a live-action anime project like AoT, Claymore, or Berserk. I think they're dark enough to fit in well with his style. Berserk in the style of 300?
4cdfc6144cc59fbae9dbb604c48bf103.jpg

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Personally, I'd like to see him take on a live-action anime project like AoT, Claymore, or Berserk. I think they're dark enough to fit in well with his style.

Warhammer 40k is absolutely in Snyder's wheelhouse - but he's not allowed to write it.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think I'd actually prefer Batfleck back to yet another Batman for the DCEU movies. His look and tone fits in better with big, dumb, bombastic tone of Black Adam and Aquaman.
He isn't a bad choice, he is just too old in reality. But that hasn't stopped Tom Cruise from action flicks.

jason10mm

Gold Member
DC has the enviable position of having a whole roster of characters that need no introduction or even an origin. EVERYONE knows where Superman comes from, the backstory of Batman, the idea of Wonder Woman, the role of Green Lantern, the powers of The Flash. They can just drop these characters into films with almost no set-up or explanation and they are SO ICONIC that audiences will immediately accept it.

Even their second tier roster of Shazam, Green Arrow, Red Cyclone, Cyborg, Black Lightning, Zatanna, etc are well distinguished enough to be put in with only a small amount of prep work. Their costumes are instantly recognizable, there are DECADES of lore to draw from, and most of the heroes are so stylized and linked to specific stereotypic virtues that they easily slot into roles. DC has dominated kids programming so well in the past that there is just a cultural foundational understanding of a lot of it.

Compare it to marvel will a smorgasbord of characters virtually indistinguishable from each other, impossible to separate based on costume, and very overlapping in roles. They are the ones they really need to set up characters, not DC IMHO. With stuff like Legends of Tomorrow or Suicide Squad they are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel for characters and EVEN THEN DC is flexible enough to take a wide range of tones.

That the DCEU is in such shambles is just.....wow.

Pagusas

Elden Member
To each their own, for me the cringe was WW84, Birds of Prey, Josstice League.
But you are free to like those movies.
Hated those films too. I feel the whole tone/look/feel of all DC film properties has been horrible and misdirected, and the film that set that horrible tone was Batman vs Superman/Snyder. The whole thing badly needs the reseet button pressed. James Gun;s Suicide Squad was at least fun and I trust he can figure out a unified look that can make the franchise work.

I love DC characters, I HATE DC films of the last 25 years (minus Nolan's trilogy). I badly badly want to see the while thing start from scratch.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Hated those films too. I feel the whole tone/look/feel of all DC film properties has been horrible and misdirected, and the film that set that horrible tone was Batman vs Superman/Snyder. The whole thing badly needs the reseet button pressed. James Gun;s Suicide Squad was at least fun and I trust he can figure out a unified look that can make the franchise work.

I love DC characters, I HATE DC films of the last 25 years (minus Nolan's trilogy). I badly badly want to see the while thing start from scratch.
BvS has nothing in common to the 3 movies I listed so I don't know what you want?
Because you may not like MoS, BvS and ZSJL but at least they tried something. And a lot of people have reconsidered their view on MoS/BvS since the release of ZSJL.
Unless you want solo movies, not connected to each other?

Anyway, we just have to wait and see what happen post The Flash.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Gross, keep that filth away unless we want another decade of cringe.

He’s got a pretty cushy deal going on over at Netflix, so I wouldn’t worry about him returning. He’s committed to them for his next two projects in a two film first look deal.

Chances are, any Justice League sequel would continue on from Josstice League - though you’d imagine they’d just ignore that anyway, and do an entirely original story.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Chances are, any Justice League sequel would continue on from Josstice League - though you’d imagine they’d just ignore that anyway, and do an entirely original story.
This is exactly what I'm thinking they will do. Soft reboot after The Flash, while being able to do the BatFleck vs Deathstroke movie and MoS II with, let's say, Brainiac.
Wonder Woman and Aquaman won't be too changed I think.

I personally hope we can have Cyborg back, I loved his take on ZSJL and I want to see that New God movie too since the potential is big.
As for Snyder, he is free after Rebel Moon 1&2, filmed back to back so he can most likely be free by 2024. Who know what the future holds.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This is exactly what I'm thinking they will do. Soft reboot after The Flash, while being able to do the BatFleck vs Deathstroke movie and MoS II with, let's say, Brainiac.
Wonder Woman and Aquaman won't be too changed I think.

I personally hope we can have Cyborg back, I loved his take on ZSJL and I want to see that New God movie too since the potential is big.
As for Snyder, he is free after Rebel Moon 1&2, filmed back to back so he can most likely be free by 2024. Who know what the future holds.

There‘s not going to be a solo Batman movie that isn’t Matt Reeves & Pattinson. The other stuff is all quite possible.

BigStef71

Neo Member
I'm happy to see so many Snyder peeps here 😁. I loved TSS so I'm excited by this. It would be awesome if James brought Zack back for a film even if it meant we never get to see Zacks JL 2 and 3. We'll see if the Ayer Cut gets released now. I'm hyped though Cavill is back and this seems to be a step in the right direction. Thank God those dipshits Emmerich and Hamada got fired.

Lunarorbit

James Gunn is pretty tight with Matt Reeves, so The Batman universe will be fine.

Honestly that’s really the only part of this mess I care about, anyway, so I’m good.
Did you think it was too long? I watched it again a few months ago and felt it was dragging on for a bit. I get its Batman being a detective so it's slower but I felt the pacing was off.

bitbydeath

The DCEU is dead, all hail the DCU.

TrueLegend

At this point only one movie makes sense. Flashpoint. Total Reset. Then start with something fresh and different with superman without origins story, like year two superman. A Superman First contact movie like The arrival or The Alien series but with Superman well known on earth. I will set up martian manhunter and superman coming into conflict investing a first contact horror site, I will do a cold open with their fight scene after total reset. Less is more approach but with superman starting as superman.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
After what Snyder did, screaming at his peers and siccing a bot army on those that simply no longer shared his vision or thought he was the right creator for the job, I seriously doubt anyone over at WBD are eager to work with him again.

Besides, it's not as if his films were lauded by the majority of fans. BvS is literally the reason why Justice League underperformed. Sure, it was also a terrible film, but fans saw BvS and were like, nah, I don't want more of that. We all lived through those days. I could literally feel that loss of interest in JL across the internet the days following the release of BvS.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yet Hamada wouldn't let Henry come back for the Black Adam cameo.

Again that's not true. The cameo thing all came down to his manager and why they had to negotiate with Cavill for months this year. His manager didn't let him cameo in Shazam (and any movie after it) because she felt a cameo would count as an appearance on his contract (they don't and even Marvel doesn't count them):
‘Look, he had more contractual obligations, more appearances as Superman on the books. But if he appeared in a cameo as Superman, that would count as one of Henry Cavill’s contracted appearances in a movie as Superman.’

WBD was negotiating with Cavill all summer. That's why people were saying he'd appear at SDCC; if they had come to an agreement by then he would've been there. Hamada was still in charge all along during those negotiations. Cavill signed on right before Labor Day (the deadline).

If he didn't sign on they would've recast Superman and announced the new actor later this year.

BigStef71

Neo Member
Again that's not true. The cameo thing all came down to his manager and why they had to negotiate with Cavill for months this year. His manager didn't let him cameo in Shazam (and any movie after it) because she felt a cameo would count as an appearance on his contract (they don't and even Marvel doesn't count them):

WBD was negotiating with Cavill all summer. That's why people were saying he'd appear at SDCC; if they had come to an agreement by then he would've been there. Hamada was still in charge all along during those negotiations. Cavill signed on right before Labor Day (the deadline).

If he didn't sign on they would've recast Superman and announced the new actor later this year.
Okay I just read the article you posted on your first response to me. Very informative. I didn't know that information so my apologies. Then Hamada has none of my ill will. I know Henry's manager was playing hardball all these years I just didn't really like the idea they wanted going with supergirl or the black superman to replace traditional superman. Anyways like I said I'm excited for Gunn taking over. Also I definitely don't associate with the toxic snyder fans on Twitter. Those people give a bad rap to his actual good fans like me lol.

jason10mm

Gold Member

See, this sounds odd to me. Aren't most actors TRYING to burn through their contract so they can be freed yup to renegotiate for more $$$? So if a cameo counted then he would be able to ask for more money during a supes featured multi-movie run.

This sounds like some minor retconning, my guess is they (his management) wanted it counted towards his contract and DC wanted to make it a side job. This is risky since IMHO superman as a cameo is BY FAR the best way to use him so it would open Cavill up to lots of non-contract cameo gigs with a digital superman doing all the action stuff at the end of a film and Cavill just saying "Hi XXX hero, need some help with that giant YYY bad guy monster?"

Mopey bloke

Hopefully they can have Snyder back making a new movie, then cancel it after 3 years of production, thereby avoiding one of his monstrosities to see the light of day for the foreseeable future.

Toons

Banned
Keep Snyder far far away and maybe then it will be good.

Its funny to me theres another thread where folks are sayying writers hating a property has led to a drop in quality, but then they want Snyder back, whos disdain for the superman archetype led to a crappy quality series of films.

Toons

Banned
If James Gunn, a director who got fired by Disney, doesnt have sympathy for Snyder who also got fired then he can shove off.

I'd prefer not to watch anything than to watch "parody Jesus allegory" Snyder fart our another visual self masturbation

Top Bottom