• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron’s Avatar Poised To Reclaim “King Of The World” All-Time Box Office Title This Weekend From Avengers: Endgame

3liteDragon

Well, that didn’t take too long.

About 18 months after Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame assailed to become the top grossing moving of all-time at the worldwide box office with $2,789.2 billion in July 2019, word is that James Cameron’s Avatar, which the Russo Brothers-directed Marvel movie defeated, will once again bounce back to reclaim that title.

was re-released in China over the weekend, the country experiencing a massive boom at the B.O. post Covid there, and made $3.5M in the No. 1 spot on Friday or Rmb22.5M. That result puts the PRC gross for Avatar at an estimated $209.9M. Nancy Tartaglione informs me that currently on Saturday in China, Avatar has reached $5.8M in its running weekend total. She first told you about how Avatar pre-sales were doing this weekend.

Heading into Avatar’s re-release this weekend, Avengers: Endgame stood at $858.37M domestic, $1.939 billion overseas for a total $2.797 billion total. Avatar‘s grosses stood at $760.5M, $2.029 billion foreign and $2.789 worldwide.

Avatar beat out Jim Cameron’s 1997 Titanic, the former global box office champ, after being released in 2009 and held that titles for ten years until Avengers: Endgame came along. Marvel Boss Kevin Feige heralded the news in Hall H during the studio’s panel at Comic-Con in July 2019. Cameron has been working busily on the sequels, returning to production last May in New Zealand on part 2 as Covid cases calmed there. Disney has scheduled Avatar 2 for Dec. 16, 2022; part 3 for Dec. 20, 2024; part 4 for Dec. 18, 2026; and part five for Dec. 22, 2028.
Lol, looks like they need something to promote Avatar 2, Endgame will probably be re-released someday and take the title back.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
The first thing i said when the news popped up that they will re-release Avatar in cinemas. xD

"James Cameron wants his box office record back"

Time to re-release a double feature of "Avengers: Infinity War" and "Avengers: Endgame"

Last edited:

T8SC

The Avengers have sent us a message... that they can take whatever they want. That no one can stop them. Well, we will send them a message. You ride out as fast as the wind can carry you. You tell the other clans to come. Tell them Toruk Macto calls to them! You fly now, with me! My brothers! Sisters! And we will show the Avengers... that they cannot take whatever they want! And that this... this is our record!

GeorgPrime

Banned
The Avengers have sent us a message... that they can take whatever they want. That no one can stop them. Well, we will send them a message. You ride out as fast as the wind can carry you. You tell the other clans to come. Tell them Toruk Macto calls to them! You fly now, with me! My brothers! Sisters! And we will show the Avengers... that they cannot take whatever they want! And that this... this is our record!

Marvel Studios: "To celebrate the end of the corona panedemic we will re-release <Avengers: Endgame" in cinemas around the globe tu support all the cinemas that are reopening".

Last edited:

T8SC

Marvel Studios: "To celebrate the end of the corona panedemic we will re-release <Avengers: Endgame" in cinemas around the globe tu support all the cinemas that are reopening".

Lightstorm Entertainment - "To celebrate the release of Avatar 2, we will re-release Avatar, globally, to remind everyone of the story and become absorbed into the world of Pandora".

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I respect Cameron I just don’t like the alien obsession certainly a good movie and well earned.

NahaNago

I'm guessing a new director's cut for theaters before Avatar 2 comes out will easily pull it into the lead. They can add 20 more minutes to match end game and update the visuals to match whatever avatar 2 does. Avatar like you have never seen it before.

*Nightwing

So.... do we not get Avatar 2 (not that anyone asked for a sequel to mediocrity) until the first one gets is record back and not conclude Camron is just a fragile petty director\producer? Are films and the Box Office itself going the route of if you don’t succeed, try try again? Records are meaningless when you move goalposts and this just has sore looser and bruised ego written all over it.

ZehDon

So.... do we not get Avatar 2 (not that anyone asked for a sequel to mediocrity) until the first one gets is record back and not conclude Camron is just a fragile petty director\producer? Are films and the Box Office itself going the route of if you don’t succeed, try try again? Records are meaningless when you move goalposts and this just has sore looser and bruised ego written all over it.
... you know movies have been re-leased in the past, right? This isn't James Cameron being James Cameron for James Cameron. This a movie making company trying to make bank by re-releasing a stupidly popular film in a country where it was stupidly popular, at a time when there just aren't that many new movies being made due to the global pandemic that's killed millions. Hell, Empire Strikes Back was re-released multiple times - including the year after its initial run, due to the demand - with each run adding to its total. This "box office total" has been a pointless pissing contest for decades and decades and decades. It really doesn't matter unless you normalise the results. As K Kerlurk has pointed out above, once you account for inflation, 'Gone with the Wind' ain't giving up the crown in our lifetimes.

Cleared_Hot

I actually would enjoy watching Avatar in 3D IMAX again... Can't say the same for Endgame. I would consider seeing Infinity War though. It was the better of the two by far, both in writing and action.

sinnergy

As it should , king of stereo 3D, king of CGI has returned.

Never topped in stereo 3D, he warned Hollywood, but they all ducked it up with cheap 3D conversions.

Avatar was and is the best stereo 3D production I have ever witnessed in theater.

Gravity is a good second.

Avatar was even more impressive on a Panasonic Plasma with 3D 10 years ago . Showcase material .

Last edited:
Highest Grossing Movies of All-Time
1. 'Gone with the Wind' (1939)
1939 box office: $400.2 million
Adjusted box office: $3.4 billion -$3.8 billion

:LOL:
When you calculate for inflation and ticket price and movie tickets sold, a lot of these records are like this. I remember going through the The Force Awakens sales and figuring out that more Americans actually bought tickets to see the original Star Wars in 1977 than did 40 years later, despite there being an additional 100 million more people in the population, and despite that movie "making more money than ever". The franchise was way less popular yet it was buffered by international sales so they could pretend otherwise.

It's just a different era. Hollywood is dead. I would say Titanic is probably the last movie of that era. That was an actual old Hollywood style mass hit. Avatar is more about marketing than cinema. Ditto Endgame. You might as well be watching videogame cutscenes.

Last edited:
When you calculate for inflation and ticket price and movie tickets sold, a lot of these records are like this. I remember going through the The Force Awakens sales and figuring out that more Americans actually bought tickets to see the original Star Wars in 1977 than did 40 years later, despite there being an additional 100 million more people in the population, and despite that movie "making more money than ever". The franchise was way less popular yet it was buffered by international sales so they could pretend otherwise.

It's just a different era. Hollywood is dead. I would say Titanic is probably the last movie of that era. That was an actual old Hollywood style mass hit. Avatar is more about marketing than cinema. Ditto Endgame. You might as well be watching videogame cutscenes.
Might as well adjust for Hitler, then.
Avatar's marketing started 4 months before release and all the way to the second domestic weekend the narrative was that it would flop.

Chiggs

Pretty incredible that a decades-old film can pull in that kind of cash in China.

More and more I finding myself not being too impressed by Endgame's box office haul. It's damn good, but not as insane as Avatar's.\

Fucking hell. Avatar really sucks as a movie. At least Endgame deserves it

Yeah, because pant-suit Captain Marvel, Fat Thor and Girl Power Showdown sure were awesome!

Last edited:

belmarduk

The first thing i said when the news popped up that they will re-release Avatar in cinemas. xD

"James Cameron wants his box office record back"

Time to re-release a double feature of "Avengers: Infinity War" and "Avengers: Endgame"

Would even the most devout Avengers fan want to watch those back to back? They're both dreadfully long.

Kenpachii

Would even the most devout Avengers fan want to watch those back to back? They're both dreadfully long.

I remember going to the lord of rings in a cinema because i won some ticket to see one of the last movie of the series, could take one person extra with me so i brought a friend.

Then when the shit started rolling it was the first movie, we where like wtf? Asking a guy next to us i thought it was the last one? Dude answered its a marathon we going to watch them all. I bailed faster then light haha.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Back in 77 there was no Internet, no smart phones, no Netflix, no video games though. Star Wars had a lot less competition when it came to entertainment. It's not fair to compare it like this.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't like avatar nor china but i like them both more than fucking avengers bullshit.

titanic re-release next pls :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom