• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jade Raymond's new studio working directly with Cerny on GaaS game. Studio tripled in size since last year.

Cyborg

GaaS, NFTs is the future. Single Player is dead!

I hate it but I understand that Sony is pushing for it with the new studios, they need a GaaS/MP hit.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What's the next biggest GaaS on that list, if you know? GTA:Online?

Chasing GaaS is kind of funny as both of those are somewhat accidental. Fortnite didn't take off until they ripped off and inserted their PUBG mode into the game and I'm pretty sure the creative higher ups at R* didn't want to focus on the online.

I wonder what is the biggest current GaaS title is out there that is as intended by the creators.

It's hard to say as Sony doesn't make it easy to see like Steamcharts or even XBL Most Played.

(For some reason I cant copy and paste anything into NeoGAF right now. If you want to see the lists just Google "VentureBeat Sony Most Downloaded Games 2021". They have official numbers from Sony.)

It looks like it's either CoD Warzone or GTA Online judging by these lists.

I do understand your point though. It seems like a lot of GAAS kind of "luck into it". The question now becomes...

1. Does this mean luck will always be a major element to GAAS moving forward?

2. Will these early (lucky) GAAS be studied by the best minds in the industry and used to produce a more consistent, better performing GAAS moving forward.

I firmly fall in camp 2.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Because people have the notion that, MS cant make that much money without Sony.
plus Sony studios do make SP games. That is how I am talking about. Not the crowd who play warzone, and other BR games.
You said the "Sony userbase." Sony is the leading console for COD (GAAS game) player count correct? So, wouldn't that kind of provide evidence that the "Sony userbase" can support GAAS if the right game comes along? You seem to think most of the people that have a PS4/PS5 are the diehard single player gamers when evidence points to them being very open to Madden/COD type gaming.

JLB

Banned
Two days after launch:

DIIPmVV.jpg

Sadly there is going to be lot of this shit behaviours on VR.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Playstation fans are cheering this news and they don't even know what's going on, I trust they'll give SONY a chance at winning this generation. I'm not sure there's a bigger game than Gran Turismo 7 and Playstation is getting that next month. I'm not worried about labeling games as a service, subscription, online, offline being good friends with the lead architect of a console is a good thing though, congrats.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

kingfey

Banned
You said the "Sony userbase." Sony is the leading console for COD (GAAS game) player count correct? So, wouldn't that kind of provide evidence that the "Sony userbase" can support GAAS if the right game comes along? You seem to think most of the people that have a PS4/PS5 are the diehard single player gamers when evidence points to them being very open to Madden/COD type gaming.
You still don't understand it.

We are talking about the people, who know Sony for their prestige single player games. Not the casuals who plays fortnite, eso, ff14, and other gaas.

reinking

Gold Member
You still don't understand it.

We are talking about the people, who know Sony for their prestige single player games. Not the casuals who plays fortnite, eso, ff14, and other gaas.
You don't seem to understand what userbase means. Sure, there are Sony fans, such as myself, that prefer the single player games. However, we are only a small part of the userbase as demonstrated by the popularity of games like COD on their platform. I'm not sure why you can't see that.

kingfey

Banned
You don't seem to understand what userbase means. Sure, there are Sony fans, such as myself, that prefer the single player games. However, we are only a small part of the userbase as demonstrated by the popularity of games like COD on their platform. I'm not sure why you can't see that.
We are not talking about the console userbase. How hard is that to understand it?

We are talking about the people, who exclusively game on that console, for their 1st party games. Not the people who play 3rd party gaas games.

This is about Sony studios.

reinking

Gold Member
We are not talking about the console userbase. How hard is that to understand it?

We are talking about the people, who exclusively game on that console, for their 1st party games. Not the people who play 3rd party gaas games.

This is about Sony studios.
You said Sony userbase. YOU SAID THAT. How is that not to be taken as the console userbase. LOL take the win little warrior. I'm not going to argue in circles.

kingfey

Banned
You said Sony userbase. YOU SAID THAT. How is that not to be taken as the console userbase. LOL take the win little warrior. I'm not going to argue in circles.
What should we call those who want to play Sony studios Single player games?

That is what it refers to. Not ps4 user base.

bender

What time is it?
It's hard to say as Sony doesn't make it easy to see like Steamcharts or even XBL Most Played.

(For some reason I cant copy and paste anything into NeoGAF right now. If you want to see the lists just Google "VentureBeat Sony Most Downloaded Games 2021". They have official numbers from Sony.)

It looks like it's either CoD Warzone or GTA Online judging by these lists.

I do understand your point though. It seems like a lot of GAAS kind of "luck into it". The question now becomes...

1. Does this mean luck will always be a major element to GAAS moving forward?

2. Will these early (lucky) GAAS be studied by the best minds in the industry and used to produce a more consistent, better performing GAAS moving forward.

I firmly fall in camp 2.

I'd say a combination of 1 & 2. And it's not like there aren't successful GAAS that were designed as such. Most recently I'm thinking of Genshin Impact. It just seems like a tough market to break into. GTA and COD already had a ridiculous userbase to skate off of. The proclamation that Sony has 10 GAAS in the works has always been odd to me, but maybe they are counting on a really low success rate? Again, fascinating to watch.

Man, it's sounding more and more like in the next 10 years I'll have to switch to playing exclusively AA and indie games.
Hopefully Nintendo holds out for a while longer before Mario turns into Roblox and Metroid has you grinding for loot for 80 hours.
This right here. Not feeling too bad about not getting a ps5(although i need it for my ps4 games and demon souls, my ps4 died, and sony doesn't want my money, apparently they only sell to scalpers, bots and lottery winners).

Really though, been playing mostly Nintendo switch, i love that system. As long as they keep backwards compatibility with the new switch or nintendo console I will stick to that. Also PC. Never give up on pc. Been playing it since the 80s.

Been busy with a lot of single player roguelites/likes , Vagante, Issac, Shiren, Dead cells, risk of rain2, etc.. Plus monster hunter gen u/rise , divinity 2, dying light, smt5. City skylines, tropico, surviving mars, foundation, settlement survior, etc... tons of roguelikes, rpgs, city builders, strategy games, etc... All single player and non of this GAAS bs.

Why would anybody be upset at this? If the studio was created with the idea of making evolving ever expanded social games, then that's what they should be making.

And Playstation as a brand should be associated with all types of gaming experiences.
Because it takes resources away from traditional games. Also Gaas destroyed phone games. I don't even look at the mobile market anymore as its all filth. Gacha gaas service crap. F2play , "buy our gems/gold/etc", unlock everything for $10000. There is a few full releases here and there that slipped in for cash but they don't get released much.

Also only so many of these games can succeed. There is not enough intersted players. These players are usually teens and go where there friends peer presure takes them...even if its shit. Example - drawn 2 death (sorry Jaffe) and Lawbreakers.

Live service games mostly aren’t for me (Destiny is as far as I’d go) so as long as Sony keep making their single player games and then supplement with these kinds of experiences it doesn’t bother me.

I’d love some investment into Japanese games though.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Also only so many of these games can succeed. There is not enough intersted players. These players are usually teens and go where there friends peer presure takes them...even if its shit. Example - drawn 2 death (sorry Jaffe) and Lawbreakers.

The thing people who hate GAAS are missing, either willfully or not...

Everyone today playing their one GAAS game WANTS a better game to come out.

There are exactly zero gamers on planet earth who think "I know that new F2P game came out, and it's better than the game I'm playing, but I can't bring myself to play it."

GAAS often provides a very low barrier to entry so everyone can call their friends and say "You want to try that new game out tonight?" No one says "I've already played 3k hours of Fortnite so I don't want to try that new release."

Players grow tired of multiplayer too, just not at the same rate as other games.

Top Bottom