• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jade Raymond introduces Haven, a new Montreal-based game development studio working on an original, new IP for PlayStation

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Source: Introducing Haven, a new Montreal-based independent studio – PlayStation.Blog

It’s been a strange and difficult past 12 months. The pandemic, social injustice, and job elimination have impacted many of my closest friends, family, and co-workers. All of these factors, paired with an inability to see friends and family face-to-face, lulled me into a kind of self-reflective cocoon where I had to ask myself some tough questions about what really matters.

I’ve been making games for a long time — over 25 years now! I’ve had the opportunity to lead the creation of two highly successful original IPs and build multiple teams and studios from the ground up. Some of these adventures have been more successful than I could have ever imagined, and others less so.

Several people have asked me recently: “After all of these experiences, do you still want to be in the games industry?” The answer is always an unwavering YES! The games industry is where I belong!

Whether it’s playing Settlers of Catan with my kids or Valheim with my team, games continue to bring me joy. They’re a way to relax, connect, and share experiences with people I care about. And the act of making games is, in many ways, even more fulfilling. Getting to bring together experts across so many different creative fields – from music composers, to concept artists, to programmers (yes! programmers are creative too!) into a perfectly synched orchestra that delivers new worlds for players to explore. For me, there is nothing more fulfilling or rewarding I can imagine doing.

As I took stock of my career over the last few years and started to think about what to do next, I came to a very simple conclusion: I need to get back to what I love doing most, and do so in a way that gives our team the freedom to explore, inspire, and create.

And so today I’m announcing Haven, an independent studio where many of the talented game developers I have worked with for years (and love dearly!) are coming together to do what we are most passionate about. It’s time for us to refocus on GAMES in a place where we can practice our crafts without any barriers or impediments. We want to create worlds where players can escape, have fun, express themselves, and find community. We want to pour our passion into a project. We want to make something wondrous for people to experience. Because we believe in the power of games to bring joy to people’s lives. And Sony does, too. Their commitment to excellence is unmatched. It’s why I couldn’t be happier for their backing and support.

Together, we want to create games that are a haven for players, and we want to build a studio that is a haven for developers. So, while we don’t have many details to announce today, I want the PlayStation community to know that Haven Studios is already hard at work on an unannounced IP. We can’t wait to show you more!

Last edited:
Talking about social injustice and job elimination while she keeps failing up.

How many people have been fucked out of a job on her teams because of her shitty leadership?

angry step brothers GIF

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Here we go again. Hopefully she gets to release at least one game this time. I'm guessing she's bringing 90% of her Stadia team with her along with what remains of the projects that Google aborted.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I wish there were a few more details -- genre, AA or AAA, first-person, third-person, tentative title, expected release date, etc.

But ... anything is better than nothing. Good luck to Jade and PS!

On Demand

Banned
This is exactly what I was talking about in the thread I’m now pointlessly banned in.

Stay focused and just make games. No need to keep blabbering every week to stay in the news cycle just to keep people’s emotions happy. Only to end up disappointing said people

Anyway I wonder what the game is going to be about and what gameplay mechanics. Would love a mixture of first and 3rd person.

NickFire

I guess Google basically sold the rights to the IP and all the work they have been doing to Jade and the new publisher (Sony).
It's unlikely Sony signed this from scratch so quickly.
Must be Google's premium IP they were developing for Stadia.
I kind of hope you're right. A new game starting from scratch does not excite me at all. Two years from now sure if it looks good.

MiguelItUp

kinda OT but what do producers do? like for a game or movie or anything?
It can be all over, but essentially a producers role is to ensure that internal objectives and tasks remain on track. Which, can sound pretty easy, but it depends on the project they're shadowing, the amount of people on said project, etc. Making sure deadlines are in place, timeframes are met, etc. But they can also work on some additional tasks here and there as well.

Honestly, in the long run, it's a position that's very beneficial for the internal/development team. That being said, what they do doesn't really affect what the consumer/fan sees. I've personally never understood the hype behind her. I just know a lot of people thought she was attractive and were excited because she was linked to the Assassin's Creed series.

Last edited:
I guess Google basically sold the rights to the IP and all the work they have been doing to Jade and the new publisher (Sony).
Google parting with internally developed software? Good one.

Elios83

Google parting with internally developed software? Good one.

Yes since they decided not to pursue internal development anymore so all the work would have gone wasted?
It will become clear when they showcase the project and the state of development becomes apparent.

Last edited:

sxodan

I would be willing to donate a kidney, eyeball and testicle, just to get a look at Jade Raymond's CV. The actual written document, if it exists or if such even circulate at the level she levitates at.

Worth keeping in mind that this is the same lady that signed off on that infamous Watch Dogs trailer.

nikolino840

This or will see the new ip in 2025

Kikorin

I guess now she opened more studios then released games, or maybe I'm confusing her name with someone else. Btw Assassin's Creed 2 was the only AC game I ever liked (in the old formula), so I hope for something good.

nikolino840

I would be willing to donate a kidney, eyeball and testicle, just to get a look at Jade Raymond's CV. The actual written document, if it exists or if such even circulate at the level she levitates at.

Worth keeping in mind that this is the same lady that signed off on that infamous Watch Dogs trailer.
Why?

Not sure what to be excited about... Ever since she left Ubi and AC we‘ve heard multiple time that she joined XY and is working on a big AAA thingy and nothing ever came out. What’s different this time?
What's different this time is that Sony isn't EA and Google who force stupid decisions on her or decide they really aren't all in on starting their own games. Sony will give them all the support they need and get this game out the door.

Top Bottom