• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams and Ta-Nehisi Coates are working on a new Superman movie

Hugare

Except 20 years ago JJ Abrams wrote a "fresh" approach to Superman that was so shit and offensive he got death threats.
He fails upwards lol

What do you think? That JJ and the new writter will continue the Snyderverse?

Personaly, I dont think so

What can we expect from this reboot?

Superman to fight Zod and Doomsday again?

Dear god...so lame..and boring...

We already have that and the story already carried on into justice league

If they do this they wil prob reboot justice league...

And prob getting rid of Jason Momoa and Gal Gadot in the process....

What a waste...
... But now Zod and Doomsday will be black! So different!

Seriously now, I dont mind them doing a black Superman. But they should try to innovate more. Zod and Doomsday again would be so boring.

And I'm sure that they will drop it some years latter, just like they are doing with Cavill.

So I'm already meh about it

Dacon

Banned
Flashpoint is definitely going to be used as an excuse to reboot shit, just like it was in the comics with the new 52.

One of the worst eras of DC comics imo. That is, if you weren't a Batman fan.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Flashpoint is definitely going to be used as an excuse to reboot shit, just like it was in the comics with the new 52.

Yea but there are people who refuse to believe it, but maybe this Superman news will help them accept it. The Flash is going to be the farewell for Batfleck, replaced with Keaton.

Labolas

It does affect the character, and I enjoy how you glossed over that entire post but w/e. Bruce Wayne is white, Black Panther is black. It's a part of who they are. You don't get to place a ridiculous amount of importance on someone's race and then dismiss that when it isn't convenient for you. Either race matters and we should accept that as part of who people are, or it doesn't and we should just ignore it as a surface characteristic that has no bearing on who someone is.

If there is no inherent value in a characters race, why does it matter enough to change to begin with? Not to mention it's pretty telling when it's almost always white characters replaced with black people.

What makes it interesting, or valid? What did changing Heimdalls race bring to the character? Absolutely nothing other than black skin.

#NOTMYCAP
Yeah, I can't believe that stuck Idris fucking Elba in that role. What a waste.

Also yeah that Cap run he did I heard was pretty bad as well.

ManaByte

Yeah, I can't believe that stuck Idris fucking Elba in that role. What a waste.

Also yeah that Cap run he did I heard was pretty bad as well.

His Cap run was one of the better post-Brubaker runs by far. So much better than that stupid run where Cap was trapped in a Zola universe.

Dacon

Banned
Yea but there are people who refuse to believe it, but maybe this Superman news will help them accept it. The Flash is going to be the farewell for Batfleck, replaced with Keaton.

I don't see Keaton replacing Affleck. Affleck is out for certain, but I don't see Keaton becoming the new main Batman, too old and can't building anything off of him.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Does anyone noticed the story in Marvell keep progressing and DC dont ?

Now pay attention to this

Marvell :

Iron Man is born

Nick Fury form the Avengers, Villain Loki

2014 GoG is formed

2015 Age of Ultron
New villain Cyberpunk, new hero Vision comes

2017 Civil War
Winter Soldier secret revealed, Villain : Baron Zemo

GoG2. Yondu dead. Villain Ego.

2018 Ragnarok
Thor + Hulk vs Hella. Ending Ship destroyed Thanos comes

2018 Infinity War
Villain Thanos, Eart Lost

2019 Endgame
Avengers Won

Next Multiverse of Madness, Eternals, Capt Falcon, What If, Thor Love and Thunder

You see the story is progressing..

Meanwhile

DC

Batman : fight Joker

Superman : fight Lex Luthor

New movie

Batman : vs Joker

Superman vs Zod

New reboot

Batman vs Pinguin

Superman vs Lex Luthor again

New Reboot

Batman vs Two Face and Ridler

Superman vs Zod

New reboot

Batman vs mr Freeze+ Poison Ivy

Superman vs Doomsday

Reboot

Batman vs Joker again

Batman vs Bane

Wonder Women + WW 84

Aquaman

Reboot

Batman Patinson vs Penguin again?

New WW reboot vs Ares again?

Justice League reboot vs Doomsday again?

Same old shit they constantly fighting the same enemies over and over again

Last edited:

ManaByte

I don't see Keaton replacing Affleck. Affleck is out for certain, but I don't see Keaton becoming the new main Batman, too old and can't building anything off of him.

The idea is for him to be the old Kingdom Come Batman and act like DC's Nick Fury assembling a new Justice League and appearing in multiple things like the Batgirl HBO Max movie. It also then opens the door for a live action Batman Beyond.

But people would rather spam WB's social media channels screaming about Affleck than potentially seeing Batman Beyond in live action.

Dacon

Banned
The idea is for him to be the old Kingdom Come Batman and act like DC's Nick Fury assembling a new Justice League and appearing in multiple things like the Batgirl HBO Max movie. It also then opens the door for a live action Batman Beyond.

Regardless they can easily do that with another actor. Keaton is like 70 years old, and he hasn't kept in shape at all. They can easily find someone else in their mid fifties to do that role.

But people would rather spam WB's social media channels screaming about Affleck than potentially seeing Batman Beyond in live action.

I don't care about social media noise, and tbh I never liked Batman Beyond. Terry was a terrible Batman and I found the entire world and cast drab and uninteresting.

ManaByte

Keaton is like 70 years old, and he hasn't kept in shape at all.

He doesn't need to be in shape to stand around and be DC's Nick Fury. Hell he's still Vulture in the MCU.

If you want a young Batman jumping off buildings, then you have the Battison trilogy.

Last edited:

Labolas

His Cap run was one of the better post-Brubaker runs by far. So much better than that stupid run where Cap was trapped in a Zola universe.
If you're talking about the Remender's run with Cap. I actually liked that run. But I think Marvel shot themselves in the foot with Cap being a Hydra agent though.

ManaByte

Why not just make a steele movie. Why make a black superman? Steel is bad ass.
shaq no GIF

Dacon

Banned
He doesn't need to be in shape to stand around and be DC's Nick Fury. Hell he's still Vulture in the MCU.

If you want a young Batman jumping off buildings, then you have the Battison trilogy.

Who wants to invest in a Batman who just does nothing but talk?

What? Why would you even need Batman for that when anyone would suffice?

If you're talking about the Remender's run with Cap. I actually liked that run. But I think Marvel shot themselves in the foot with Cap being a Hydra agent though.

Hydra Cap is one of the most retarded things ever done in a comic. That's right along stupid shit like one more day.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It was a superman movie where he didn't throw a punch. Even Reeve punched some rocks in the Donner movie.
I'm still pissed at Singer for abandoning the x-men franchise to go do that. X2 was a huge step up from 1. I wanted to see if he could close out a trilogy.

Who cares about skin colour. We are talking about JJ Abrams. He already made 2 shitty reboots/remakes (Star Wars and Star Trek). I doubt he will make anything worth watching.

Shouta

Guardians of the Galaxy, l put the lie to idea that there's some inherent risk involved here. No one knew those characters in the public consciousness, and they had no direct connection to the Avengers at the time outside of being in the same universe.

By this stupid logic no one should ever make a new film that isn't connected to some franchise ever, which is something film studios do all the time.

Guardians of the Galaxy had the benefit of the MCU to increase its profile and get folks to give it a shot. If it had been made 20 years ago when the MCU wasn't a thing and super hero films were still getting their legs, I have no doubt it wouldn't be as successful as it was. It's really important for a film get notoriety for something to really give it a chance at success unless a studio is straight up willing to gamble. A famous director, actors/actresses, it being the latest entry in a movie universe, etc. Sometimes a movie can become a success despite not having any of those things but it's a pretty small percentage in the bigger picture. I mean, there's a ton of good ass movies out there that don't get the popularity of the blockbusters because there's nothing attracting the casual audience and/or little to no media coverage.

FunkMiller

Guardians of the Galaxy, l put the lie to idea that there's some inherent risk involved here. No one knew those characters in the public consciousness, and they had no direct connection to the Avengers at the time outside of being in the same universe.

By this stupid logic no one should ever make a new film that isn't connected to some franchise ever, which is something film studios d

It does affect the character, and I enjoy how you glossed over that entire post but w/e. Bruce Wayne is white, Black Panther is black. It's a part of who they are. You don't get to place a ridiculous amount of importance on someone's race and then dismiss that when it isn't convenient for you. Either race matters and we should accept that as part of who people are, or it doesn't and we should just ignore it as a surface characteristic that has no bearing on who someone is.

If there is no inherent value in a characters race, why does it matter enough to change to begin with? Not to mention it's pretty telling when it's almost always white characters replaced with black people.

What makes it interesting, or valid? What did changing Heimdalls race bring to the character? Absolutely nothing other than black skin.

Did you bother to read my post about how they can’t make Bruce Wayne black because it would heavily alter the character and his backstory? Probably not, eh?

And Guardians got made because of the vast success of the MCU. Good luck getting smaller DC characters on screen after the clusterfuck Zack Snyder created.

Changing Heimdall’s race brought Idris Elba. Sounds like a pretty valid reason to me.

sol_bad

I liked Zola universe.
^_____^

*EDIT*
And I thought Hydra Cap wasn't really Cap.........?

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Did you bother to read my post about how they can’t make Bruce Wayne black because it would heavily alter the character and his backstory? Probably not, eh?

It was a simple example.

And Guardians got made because of the vast success of the MCU. Good luck getting smaller DC characters on screen after the clusterfuck Zack Snyder created.

Still proves the point that you can take a chance on something and make it profitable. Like every film studio does when they make new films.

Changing Heimdall’s race brought Idris Elba. Sounds like a pretty valid reason to me.

So absolutely nothing, got it.

FunkMiller

It was a simple example.

Still proves the point that you can take a chance on something and make it profitable. Like every film studio does when they make new films.

Yes, an example you didn’t bother to read my opinion about beforehand, otherwise you’d have known that I agree with you.

No. There wasn‘t much of a risk with GuardIan’s because the MCU by then was making billions.

Dacon

Banned
Yes, an example you didn’t bother to read my opinion about beforehand, otherwise you’d have known that I agree with you.

No. There wasn‘t much of a risk with GuardIan’s because the MCU by then was making billions.

It's a completely unknown property, featuring ridiculous shit like a talking racoon and a tree. People were even talking about how it didn't have a chance of being successful.

People also forget that almost every single website was predicting Guardians to be a bomb.

Further illustrating my point.

Reizo Ryuu

Does anyone noticed the story in Marvell keep progressing and DC dont ?
Your list is a bit disingenuous.
There's plenty of marvel movies before Iron Man that had nothing to do with each other.
So if you are gonna list all the DC movies before the DCEU, you should list those unlinked marvel movies too.

Also
Superman vs Zod

New reboot

Batman vs mr Freeze+ Poison Ivy

Superman vs Doomsday

Reboot

Batman vs Joker again

Batman vs Bane

Wonder Women + WW 84
...That's not the timeline
All the batman movies you listed above were before man of steel (vs zod) and are not part of the DCEU.
The DCEU is currently:
Man of steel
Batman V superman
Suicide squad
Wonder woman
Justice league
Aquaman
Shazam!
Birds of Prey
Wonder woman 1984
The suicide squad
The Flash
Aquaman 2
Black Adam
Shazam! Fury of the gods

There hasn't been a reboot yet since 2012 and there won't be until at least 2023; honestly I think this superman movie isn't going to be a DCEU movie.
The Batman can be a DCEU movie because it's a prequel that takes place ~15 years before Man of steel, a "black" superman would have to be its own thing or he'd have to be a "different" superman.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

I don't care if Superman is white or black.

Superman is a symbol.

If they cast a black actor and the movie is made well, it will be successful. If they cast a white actor and the movie is made well, it will be successful.

Man of Steel had so much potential but typical Zach Snyder weirdness ruined it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Superman is a symbol.

If they cast a black actor and the movie is made well, it will be successful. If they cast a white actor and the movie is made well, it will be successful.

I agreed with you until the last part. I enjoyed Moss, BvS and, to a lesser extent, Josstice League. Which lets me know know I'll LOVE Zack Snyder's Justice League...

ManaByte

There hasn't been a reboot yet since 2012 and there won't be until at least 2023; honestly I think this superman movie isn't going to be a DCEU movie.

The Flash begins the reboot.

The Batman can be a DCEU movie because it's a prequel that takes place ~15 years before Man of steel

It's not a prequel and it's not set in the DCEU. Hamada already set it's separate, and the trailer shows it's set in present day (modern cellphones).

Superman is a symbol.

When was the last time a gender swapped or white to black character was in a good movie. The moment the moviemakers decide to make political choices, you know the movie will be bad.

I have zero confidence in this. The trailer will be AMAZING but the actual project will be crap.
People amaze me with such comments.
I could never understand the thought process that drives one to post like that ^^^
One can only rationally conclude something is crap until you've seen it but yeah...

tenor.gif

Dacon

Banned
People amaze me with such comments.
I could never understand the thought process that drives one to post like that ^^^
One can only rationally conclude something is crap until you've seen it but yeah...

tenor.gif

To be fair a lot of movies have great trailers but wind up being mediocre to crap.

Good editors can do wonders for marketing.

Ra\/en

I have very little interest in J.J. Abram's directorial work. His directed movies over the last 10 years all have the same kind of "feel" to them. Overproduced and "safe".
His work as producer is more tolerable.
I am quite convinced that this particular movie will be safe and overproduced and boring.

Top Bottom