• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams and Ta-Nehisi Coates are working on a new Superman movie

VulcanRaven

Ta-Nehisi Coates and J.J. Abrams Are Working on a New Superman Movie:

It’s been eight years since there’s been a solo Superman movie on the big screen. But the Man of Steel’s next big screen adventure is moving forward. Deadline has confirmed an earlier report from Shadow and Act that Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing a new Superman film, with J.J. Abrams attached as a producer. Coates is primarily known as a columnist for The Atlantic, but has also written Black Panther and Captain America comics for Marvel.

“To be invited into the DC Extended Universe by Warner Bros., DC Films and Bad Robot is an honor,” said Coates in a statement to Shadow and Act. “I look forward to meaningfully adding to the legacy of America’s most iconic mythic hero.”

There is a new, powerful and moving Superman story yet to be told,” added Abrams. “We couldn’t be more thrilled to be working with the brilliant Mr. Coates to help bring that story to the big screen, and we’re beyond thankful to the team at Warner Bros. for the opportunity.”

Henry Cavill has previously expressed his willingness to reprise his role as Superman. However, it’s unclear if Cavill will return of if this will feature a completely new take on Superman. THR‘s report contends that Warner Bros. is looking to introduce a Black Superman. It also notes that Michael B. Jordan tried to get a Black Superman movie off the ground in 2019.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm sad if Henry Cavill won't be in the role anymore but it makes sense to reboot this like they are doing with The Batman. I hope they don't let Snyder do direct more DC movies.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
carrie brownstein television GIF

Calling it now. Superman will be Black and Lex will be written as if he was Donald Trump.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Calling it now. Superman will be Black and Lex will be written as if he was Donald Trump.
I dont care about that stuff, i just dont think folks grok the character of superman anymore, certainly not J.J. as he seems to get the superficial stuff but never the deep roots of his homages.

A black superman could be interesting, but only if he demonstrated a lack of concern for other black people because he was an "all lives matter" person (i.e. as an alien he views ALL humans as equally deserving of life and protection). Certainly he should have little to no fear of the police, racism, or really anything that plagues blacks in america because he is, was, and always will be totally removed from those experiences since he is virtually indestructible and omnipotent. I'm not even sure he would be particularly patriotic (though i prefer it if he was) but just because he can see all human suffering first hand with little effort, he knows how good America is/can be versus other places.

I don't think J.J. or Coates would view Supes through that lens AT ALL.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ta-Nehisi Paul Coates is an American author and journalist. Coates gained a wide readership during his time as national correspondent at The Atlantic, where he wrote about cultural, social, and political issues, particularly regarding African Americans and white supremacy.
8887bbe234e030b84ef9f8254dbd824b.gif

Anyway
Really not a fan alt characters, it cheapens the original.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Henry Cavill should just come over to the MCU. The DC film universe is aimless, just grab that Disney money instead and have someone post all your social media for you (that way you can blame them for miscommunication).

ManaByte

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Everything is an alternate universe fan-fiction these days. Like Bridgerton with blacks in 1800 UK upper class. And they do seem popular too, so this would be too. It will have a black superman and will get rave reviews and may become big box office hit like Black Panther.

In all probability it would actually be a supremely average movie, again like Black Panther.

Madflavor

This absolutely screams they're doing Black Superman. Fuck this man. Most of the time I'm fine with raceswapping, but not for an iconic character such as this. Superman is the whitest superhero ever. Being a white bread American from Kansas is a huge part of his character. This stinks of a political move and I'm so tired of this shit. It's been ruining Hollywood for almost a decade now, and they're finally coming for my boy Supes. And I knew this day was coming.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

When I first read the names that were tied to this I knew it was going to be a joke especially Ta-Nehisi Coates.
I read a lot of his comic book runs and always felt they were average at best.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
Yeah not keen. Never cared for other world characters as much in the comics.
Over the casting of black/female actors replacing the originals too.

I'm more than happy if this character existed in the same movie alongside the original Super though, as I would be with all movies in this situation.

But my opinion is probably, apparently, racist.

This absolutely screams they're doing Black Superman. Fuck this man. Most of the time I'm fine with raceswapping, but not for an iconic character such as this. Superman is the whitest superhero ever. Being a white bread American from Kansas is a huge part of his character. This stinks of a political move and I'm so tired of this shit. It's been ruining Hollywood for almost a decade now, and they're finally coming for my boy Supes. And I knew this day was coming.
This is you internally

FragrantScratchyHarrier-size_restricted.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have a feeling this will go nowhere, like 95% of Guillermo del toro projects and most of hollywood stuff, quite frankly.

But it will seed some shit that will infect DC going forward, i bet.

NahaNago

I dont care about that stuff, i just dont think folks grok the character of superman anymore, certainly not J.J. as he seems to get the superficial stuff but never the deep roots of his homages.

A black superman could be interesting, but only if he demonstrated a lack of concern for other black people because he was an "all lives matter" person (i.e. as an alien he views ALL humans as equally deserving of life and protection). Certainly he should have little to no fear of the police, racism, or really anything that plagues blacks in america because he is, was, and always will be totally removed from those experiences since he is virtually indestructible and omnipotent. I'm not even sure he would be particularly patriotic (though i prefer it if he was) but just because he can see all human suffering first hand with little effort, he knows how good America is/can be versus other places.

I don't think J.J. or Coates would view Supes through that lens AT ALL.
Unfortunately a black superman in this day and age especially with Coates will be nothing like what you want.

NahaNago

This could still work if he was already introduced as an alternate superman in a henry cavill movie. Then make a movie with a black superman. We could also end up doing a multi-alternate world war with a bunch of alternate justice league members teaming up to fight an enemy. This would explain the alternate Bruce Wayne with the vampire guy.

Hugare

I dont give a damn about him being black, but I'm tired of unnecessary reboots

Cavil got one solo Superman movie. ONE.

Brandon Routh was also very good as Superman (movie sucked tho). But he also only got one movie.

Now they are needlessly rebooting Superman yet again. Just because they want a black one?

I repeat: I dont give a damn about him being black. I would also be bothered by them replacing Cavil for another white guy.

Who wants to watch Krypton getting exploded one more time, Zod coming to Earth yet again and yadda yadda

Warner has all the money but doesnt have not even one person with a brain in there

Top Bottom