• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've made a small experiment and calculated how much money I've spent on games through last year

Nico_D

For a console generation which is supposed to push full digital, it is stupid how digitql games in PSN cost 10-20 € more than physical.

I got R&C physical for 60 €. Digital is 80 €. How?

Humdinger

Interesting, though OP, I'd suggest you clearly post your annual spending rate. You posted a lot of verbiage and numbers, but most people will want to know the bottom line -- i.e., how much did you spend?

I did a tally of this about a month ago. For the last few years, my annual spending has averaged about $300-$350/year. That's on PS4. That's fine with me. I thought briefly about buying an Xbox in order to reduce costs, but I figured it would take me several years to break even (i.e., recoup the cost of the console itself), so it wasn't worth the trouble (I had other reasons as well, which I won't go into).

GHG

Gold Member
I came expecting to see a big number and saw $500.

Lmao I spend more on a night out.

Videogames are a cheap hobby, probably one of the cheapest around.

Unknown?

As someone with a 3 year old and another on the way, I'd advise not getting gamepass. My gaming went down significantly after the first child from buying 25-40 games a year to only 5-10.

You aren't going to have time for that many games and you're just paying for games you'll never play. Just get games on sale and the occasional new game you HAVE to have. That's just from my experience though.

Aurelius

For a console generation which is supposed to push full digital, it is stupid how digitql games in PSN cost 10-20 € more than physical.

I got R&C physical for 60 €. Digital is 80 €. How?
It does require a bit more patience since Sony quite often has good sales. But it's not a good deal if you want to play new games on the release date.

I already have a backlog of PS+ games and games that I bought for PS4 and got a upgrade patch, and I don't even own a PS5 (yet).

Fredrik

As someone with a 3 year old and another on the way, I'd advise not getting gamepass. My gaming went down significantly after the first child from buying 25-40 games a year to only 5-10.

You aren't going to have time for that many games and you're just paying for games you'll never play. Just get games on sale and the occasional new game you HAVE to have. That's just from my experience though.
I used the prepaid trick, I’m paying half a pizza per month for Gamepass Ultimate til mid 2024, it’s roughly the cost for 1 game per year. It’s worth every penny. And there are games there suitable for the kids as well so it has been an awesome thing both for myself and the family.

Aurelius

Gamepass might offer too many games. Also, they can get pulled from the service after a while. Too much pressure. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Kuranghi

It's Dubai. The price of a round of drinks is the same as a couple of games.

Can you still do the old trick of bringing women with you and getting them to order the drinks and they get them free(ish)? This was told to me by a woman whose parents lived in Bahrain in ~2005 though so maybe thats not a thing anymore or was just made up nonsense in the first place.

To try and encourage women to go out was how it was pitched to me.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Gamepass might offer too many games. Also, they can get pulled from the service after a while. Too much pressure. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
It’s like Netflix, you just consume what seems interesting and ignore the rest, don’t worry so much. There is always something new every month and even games with a lower score becomes interesting when you don’t have to buy them. And you get a discount on game purchases. 👍

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
These are rookie numbers! You have to pump them up!

Jokes aside, congrats on the kid!

GHG

Gold Member
Can you still do the old trick of bringing women with you and getting them to order the drinks and they get them free(ish)? This was told to me by a woman whose parents lived in Bahrain in ~2005 though so maybe thats not a thing anymore or was just made up nonsense in the first place.

To try and encourage women to go out was how it was pitched to me.

Ladies nights are a thing (where women drink for free or get a special deal) but they will cotton on to you if they see you're taking the free/discounted drinks from the women you're with. So ladies night's deals are strictly for ladies.

I'd imagine the region was a lot different in 2005 compared to now. They do gentleman's nights mid week at certain places as well now so if you want to eat and drink for much cheaper during the week then there are options for everyone.

Kuranghi

Ladies nights are a thing (where women drink for free or get a special deal) but they will cotton on to you if they see you're taking the free/discounted drinks from the women you're with. So ladies night's deals are strictly for ladies.

I'd imagine the region was a lot different in 2005 compared to now. They do gentleman's nights mid week at certain places as well now so if you want to eat and drink for much cheaper during the week then there are options for everyone.

Cheers for that.

You could always just have you and all your male friends all dress as women to get the free drinks, that sounds like a sure fire plan with no cause for concern.

Congratulations on your kid! Yeah, gaming can be an expensive hobby. Lucky for you, kids teach parents to become better at adapting essentialist principles.

AJUMP23

HItman 3
Gamepass Ultimate and Series X on the installment program
Metroid
3 Amiibos

I think that is all this year.

Duchess

PS5 (console)
Ghost of Tsushima
Spider-Man : Miles Morales
Control : Ultimate Edition
Mortal Shell
Yakuza Zero (not yet played)
Metro Exodus
Salt and Sanctuary (not yet played)

I also had PS Now and borrowed some games from my brother, so I didn't actually spend too much this year.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I spend a few thousand a year easily. Bunch of physical on XSX and Switch. A lot of digital games on sale on the Switch. I just ordered a PS5 and soon will get the Steam Deck. Just bought the Playdate as well. Soooo. My expenses will only get higher. But that is ok. I don't have any other hobbies really!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Thats not too absurd amount. was hoping high numbers, i remember in my early days of getting a job and literally blowing most of my money that year on gaming. Then hard realization that I don't have enough time in a day to play. Weekends also went by and I hardly ever played.

Last year my expenses was ZERO, this year so far ZERO. Thanks to gamepass, i bought 3 years in 2019. Gonna buy either Battlefield or COD this year.

Fahdis

$25 this year so far and I bought 20 games from the Humble Store due to the Bundles. This and Shield TV Geforce Now $90. Thats my expense.

Top Bottom