• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've found the worst PS5 upgrade

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, I haven't played all games that have received PS5 patches, but I'd be shocked to find out there's one worse than this.

The game I'm talking about is Subnautica. I never played it on PS4, but had heard good things, so I was pretty excited to give it a go on PS5. Today I finally got to it, and man...

The game is fun and terrifying, no doubt about it. I get why people like it. But what's equally terrifying is the performance on PS5. Not only does it fail to achieve 60fps much of the time, but also the game completely lacks v-sync, and the result is the worst screen tearing I've seen since the PS360 days. It's constant, and all over the screen. It absolutely ruins the image quality. I see nothing in the visuals that could explain why this game can't be locked to 60fps at all times. It looks like a PS4 game, and not a very good looking one. There's also a 30fps mode, but that feels very unresponsive, so it's not really an option.

So yeah, this game is just a technical trainwreck. Maybe Unity is to blame (I believe it runs on that), I don't really care. This is not acceptable, and it's a big shame.

Last edited:
e9d81002f1adf38819535f629f5651bc.jpeg

Look Here Reaction GIF by Paul McCartney

if Unity in in the opening logo splash screens, you better hold your panties tight, because it's gonna be a wild ride!
......have....you guys played the game though?

The game is actually legitimately a good game and the Unity engine runs pretty damn spotless on PC.

I'm not here to defend Unity, but the Subnautica devs did a really good job on the game.

Surprised the console version is a bust, but the PC version most definitely holds up well, and the game is a blast to play once you get into it.

Banned
......have....you guys played the game though?

The game is actually legitimately a good game and the Unity engine runs pretty damn spotless on PC.

I'm not here to defend Unity, but the Subnautica devs did a really good job on the game.

Surprised the console version is a bust, but the PC version most definitely holds up well, and the game is a blast to play once you get into it.

I played it on PC yes (it was free on Epic a while ago) and I liked it. the beginning is a bit slow tho. didn't play it for too long but it seems pretty cool

I played it on PC yes (it was free on Epic a while ago) and I liked it. the beginning is a bit slow tho. didn't play it for too long but it seems pretty cool

lmao I don't blame you. I dropped the game for almost 2 years before picking it back up and finishing it since I was stuck in lockdown.

It's worth a play and completing if you're doing a backlog reduction run for yourself.

I'd say maybe just not play with survival mode is all, that can be quite an annoyance when you've played a dozen hours and just wanna figure out the what the hell is going on in the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think you can use console commands to enable vsync, not sure what that does to the frame rate.

Yeah, I've read about that, but apparently that counts as cheating, so trophies are disabled. Not that I'm a huge trophy wh*re, but I'd rather get them than not, heh.

Also you have to do this every time you start the game, it doesn't stick.

They haven’t fixed that? You need to bring up the console and enable vysync to lock it to buttery 60.

Can’t believe this is not default.

I read some post from June or something that they were working on a fix, but nope.

Also this is funny:

Some backstory here: v-sync was turned on during development but was creating a nauseating “rubber-band” like sensation due to performance (framerate) fluctuations. The solution we chose at the time was to disable v-sync, and we conducted a visual review to assess how bad screen tearing would be throughout the game. Our assessment at the time was that there were acceptable (really minimal) levels of tearing, however, in hindsight it’s clear that we did not evaluate on a large enough number of displays, particularly TVs with higher refresh rates.

Minimal levels of tearing? High refresh rate TVs? Lol, what a bunch of BS. I'm playing on a regular old 4K60 TV, and the tearing the MOMENT you get control inside the lifepod is absolutely horrendous. Worst I've seen in a console game maybe EVER.

Last edited:

Maogp

No issues on Series X talking about tearing but there is a terrible pop up of the assets. You can only see like 10 mt in front of you and in a game where you should say "oh, look that, there is a cave over there, let's go to explore that shit" is not good at all.

Last edited:
Yeah I tried to play this game about a week ago and the screen tearing was so terrible that I stopped and deleted the game after 15 mins. I think if you go to console commands you can fix it, but then that disables trophies. The dev is trash for not including the option and releasing it the way it is.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I’m sure I played many a game with some amount of tearing back in the day, but my god I can’t stand it now. I played a new game yesterday, and during the standard in and out of settings I ended up switching from borderless to full screen without turning V-sync on. I instantly noticed and went back into the menu.

I can’t even tolerate it at 120fps, let alone the standard 60. I’m never buying a display for games without Gsync/Freesync/VRR ever again.

Can't remember screen tearing on my One X, but it's even with all the bugs and performance issues an outstanding game and i would choose it over polished cinematics anytime.

Duchess

I avoid buying games that have been created with Unity, as experience has taught me that there will be all sorts of performance problems.

I remember that the sheer number of bugs and horrible crashes in Battle Chasers were attributed to using Unity (many have now been fixed, but it ruined the game for me completely, especially one that made my PS4 hard reset). I believe the devs are using Unreal for their new RPG.

I believe the new Oddworld game was created in Unity, and while Digital Foundry praised it for being a showcase for Unity's new features, you can still see that the performance is sub-optimal.

Last edited:

TonyK

I'm playing just right now Disco Elysium in Ps5 and I was shocked because it runs at 30fps, until I saw it uses Unity, the worst engine in Earth.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can't remember screen tearing on my One X, but it's even with all the bugs and performance issues an outstanding game and i would choose it over polished cinematics anytime.

Is it 60fps on One X, or 30? The 30fps mode on PS5 has no such issues, but it feels so unresponsive compared to the 60-but-with-all-the-screen-tearing mode.

Shmunter

Is it 60fps on One X, or 30? The 30fps mode on PS5 has no such issues, but it feels so unresponsive compared to the 60-but-with-all-the-screen-tearing mode.
Have you tried enabling vsync via the command console? I played a couple of hours at perfect 60, no tearing.

Scaledi

Neo Member
It sucks ass even on PC.
Yep subnautica did not get 10fps on my old rig, despite it being able to run some similar tier graphic wise games at 45. The optimization is crappy everywhere, I have even seen some specific high end builds struggle to hit 144

Top Bottom