• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've beaten "all" the 2D Metroids, 2D Mario is next, where do I start?

Kuranghi

I've beaten Zero Mission, AM2R, Super Metroid and Fusion this year, Metroid Prime 1/2 are still my favourites if pressed I think but all 4 of the 2D games were fantastic. I couldn't deal with OG Metroid 1 or 2, especially 2 :messenger_grimmacing_

So I just beat SMG2, about on 119 stars with SMG1 and I am still wanting more Mario but figures maybe a playthrough of the classics was in order instead of replaying Odyssey. I've watched EZA play all of SMS and I don't think thats for me, I can't not have a long jump in a 3D mario title. I was playing SM3DW but Cemu has weird bugs right now so I'll prob just wait for the re-release in February.

Anyway so I figured its time to beat the 2D Mario I've played a bunch of them (OG, World, first two gameboy titles) 20+ years ago but I never owned or beat them. So where should I start?

All the way back to the first Mario on NES? Or start with Super Mario Bros on SNES? Which gameboy titles should I play?

I have SNES filters set up really well in RA so I'm keen see more what the games are supposed to look like compared to how I saw them on modern sets.

Miceman64

Banned
Dude, Sunshine has by far the best movement system even without the long jump. The super dive and spin jump would have made the long jump obsolete even if it was there. Just a REALLY terrible reasson to skip perhaps the best controlling Mario game. Certainly the one with the highest skill ceiling.

DrNeroCF

Start with 1, but 3 is still the best. World and Yoshi’s Island are both amazing and definitely are must plays, but 3 is just weird and magical.

NSMB U is also really good for a new Mario game, but I don’t know if if prioritize it over like, Tropical Freeze as far as 2d platformers go.

I still have a lot of love for Mario 2 on nes, even if it’s not technically a Mario game, nice quick play through, too.

Just don’t abuse save states too much, a lot of good memories made by finally getting through a tough airship and the like.

Last edited:

PooBone

I've beaten Zero Mission, AM2R, Super Metroid and Fusion this year, Metroid Prime 1/2 are still my favourites if pressed I think but all 4 of the 2D games were fantastic. I couldn't deal with OG Metroid 1 or 2, especially 2 :messenger_grimmacing_

So I just beat SMG2, about on 119 stars with SMG1 and I am still wanting more Mario but figures maybe a playthrough of the classics was in order instead of replaying Odyssey. I've watched EZA play all of SMS and I don't think thats for me, I can't not have a long jump in a 3D mario title. I was playing SM3DW but Cemu has weird bugs right now so I'll prob just wait for the re-release in February.

Anyway so I figured its time to beat the 2D Mario I've played a bunch of them (OG, World, first two gameboy titles) 20+ years ago but I never owned or beat them. So where should I start?

All the way back to the first Mario on NES? Or start with Super Mario Bros on SNES? Which gameboy titles should I play?

I have SNES filters set up really well in RA so I'm keen see more what the games are supposed to look like compared to how I saw them on modern sets.
Unless you’re including Mario bros in arcades, start w the three NES games, then the two Land games on Game Boy, then World, and I would personally skip everything that came later on the Wii.

Last edited:
If you get to the princess in this one you can play the others:
NES_01.gif

Kuranghi

Dude, Sunshine has by far the best movement system even without the long jump. The super dive and spin jump would have made the long jump obsolete even if it was there. Just a REALLY terrible reasson to skip perhaps the best controlling Mario game. Certainly the one with the highest skill ceiling.

That was just one reason, there are many, I understand all the reason why people love it: the setting, movement, etc. I haven't played it so can't say for sure but I did watch about 12 hours of gameplay showing every level and so much stuff looked annoying. I fully admit thats its possible they were just total shit at the game lol.

I'll give it a go eventually just not now I don't think.

Kuranghi

So is this a good order then:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.: Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coin
Super Mario World

Is it like the 2D Metroids, where the NES and Gameboy Mario games have similar physics so I should play them before SMW? Like the difference between Zero Mission and Super Metroid physics?

Is it an art style thing?

Last question (lies probably): Did the All-Stars collection do weird stuff to the games and I should avoid them?

Kuranghi

Right so if I go with Mario All-Stars on SNES in place of SMB 1-3 on NES does that mean I should play in this order:

SML 1
SML 2
SM:A-S
SMW

Yah? Or All-Stars first and then Land 1&2, then SMW?

Ulysses 31

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Land
Super Mario World

Is it like the 2D Metroids, where the NES and Gameboy Mario games have similar physics so I should play them before SMW? Like the difference between Zero Mission and Super Metroid physics?

Last question (lies probably): Did the All-Stars collection do weird stuff to the games and I should avoid them?
You skipped the Wario Lands on GB.

New Super Mario series should not be overlooked either.

Last edited:
Replay them.

Play the Mario/Metroid Game Boy/Color/Advance games. Then Mario 3D Land, i liked it more than M3dW.

Then the Wario and kirby games on NES/SNES.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Start with 1. But World is my favourite. 3 is very close and also amazing.

Sunshine and Odyssey are my favourite 3D ones. I really dislike Galaxy but most love it and you might too so defo try them.
64 is nostalgic And good but painful slippery controls at times.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

?!??

OP Just start at SMW on SNES and then play New Super U. That way you can say you near “all” the 2D Mario’s.

Zero Mission was great and AM2R was almost my favourite. I gave M1 a go but didn't really gel with it so played the GBA remake instead.

Is it that unusual that a person would be put off by QOL problems from a game from 1987? Metroid 2 was massively zoomed in and I couldn't even see what I was fighting half the time so it felt bad and AM2R was fantastic. No need to be a jackass about it ha.

FeldMonster

Start at the very beginning...
A very good place to start...
When you read you begin with, "A", "B", "C"...
When you jump you begin with "1", "2", "3" (All together) 1, 2, 3

The first three games just happen to be: "1", "2", "3"

Kuranghi

Samus Returns
2t7venD.jpg

I gave it a go but I didn't gel with it on 3DS, will wait for a Switch re-release I think. I can't even remember why I stopped, it just didn't grab me after 1-4 had kept me coming back every day for big sessions and I couldn't wait to play more. M:SR felt like a chore to play in comparison. Might have been burnout I guess so hence why I'm just waiting for a re-release now.

It did look really nice at 6x res though.

Kuranghi

Start at the very beginning...
A very good place to start...
When you read you begin with, "A", "B", "C"...
When you jump you begin with "1", "2", "3" (All together) 1, 2, 3

The first three games just happen to be: "1", "2", "3"

edit - I've never seen The Sound of Music, sorry pal.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

tenor.gif

I'm asking for advice of best play order not a definition of what release order or chronology is, you massive fanny :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It was just a Sound of Music reference/joke that I happen to believe. No reason to get all upset.

Do not start with the true original Mario Brothers game or Donkey Kong, start with Super Mario Brothers (1) probably the version from Mario All-Stars, as it looks better than the original NES version.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Go backwards. That way it’s like going back in time. Super Mario World, 3, 2, top if off with Mario Lost Levels and then 1. Then play Mario Bros for sh*ts and giggles.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Kinda depends, would you like to take a history trip, or just play the best 2D Mario has to offer?

On one hand, it’s neat to play in order, and see how things evolved. You can kind of realize all over again, what a revolution in what was possible in a game, SMB3 was.

On the other, cherry-picking whichever one seems most appealing to you right now (and I think it’s World, given your comment about having a cool SNES set-up) is also valid.

I think you should play all the console ones. Maybe not The Lost Levels. Handheld, I don’t think have aged that well, but that was never my forte anyway.

Scotty W

Gold Member

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Land
Super Mario World

I love the Lost Levels, but I would actually save it for last. It is really hard, but so similar to the original that it would be preferable to put some breathing room between them.

Now, as to which version I would recommend playing, I am going to betray my biases. Play the NES 1 and 3, and the SNES 2 and Lost Levels.

I love the All Stars version of 1 and 3, but the og versions feel more iconic.

I agree with you about Metroid 1 btw. It is just too difficult to be too much fun. But I played Metroid 2 about 15 years ago and remember enjoying it, except for getting lost for a really long time.

Did you play that Metroid game on the Wii that everyone hates? I have always wondered if it was really that bad or if it was just hype hate.

Start with World, it's the one that controls the best. Then go in order with the NES trilogy. Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece as well and it's closer in design to 3D Mario games so that's not a bad bet either. I wouldn't start with the OG SMB, but definitely do play it at some point.

sn0man

Zero Mission was great and AM2R was almost my favourite. I gave M1 a go but didn't really gel with it so played the GBA remake instead.

Is it that unusual that a person would be put off by QOL problems from a game from 1987? Metroid 2 was massively zoomed in and I couldn't even see what I was fighting half the time so it felt bad and AM2R was fantastic. No need to be a jackass about it ha.
Good response. I was being an ass and I’m sorry. (You besmirched M2 my childhood and that also made me snippy, but it’s no excuse.)

more seriously if you found M1 tough, then I wonder if you’re up for lost levels (Japanese Super Mario 2, herein “LL”). I say this as someone that found SM1, M1, and kid icarus rewarding but maybe too challenging.

I don’t know that I will personally beat LL but I guess I should never say never.

For you, if the goal is to see them all then release order is never bad. SM1 if you have never is really rewarding. I would also say you can allow yourself to learn the warps to make beating it more manageable.

2USA is tough (was/is for me) but less memorization than SM1. SM1 is almost a rhythm game. SM3 and SMworld I think are both easier games but much richer and full of stuff to see and experience.

Just play them in order... I did... because I played them as they released (except Sunshine, even though I had a Gamecube that game just didn't grab my attention)

cireza

To summarize :

SMB1 and Lost Levels on NES
SMB2, 3 then World on GBA (Super Mario Advance ports, which are great, played on the Wii U Gamepad)
New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3DS
New Super Mario Bros U on Wii U

These would be my picks.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Land
Super Mario World

I recently finished Super Mario Land and started Super Mario Land 2. They are ...... weird. SML1 has gos awful "physics" that you need to adjust to, but once you do it's ok. SML2 on the other hand has weirdly huge sprites and also does not play like any other 2D Mario game.

Once I finished SML2 and get all the retro achievements I won't ever return to these games.
I'm not saying to avoid them, just be prepared for weirdness.

Kuranghi

What is your RA filter setup?

I have five (5) I flick between which are customised versions of the CRT presets: caligari, hylian, geom, crt-royale and one with no scanlines but a heavier blur (Lut-something?) which was good for a few games where scanlines didn't look right.

I tried to make it look like a Sony PVM monitor connected with RGB because I like a sharp image, this is the look I'm going for, but these aren't my images, they are PVM off-screen shots.

PVM is on the left and 4K LG OLED upscaling (with no filters afaik, apart from whatever awfulness is part of the upscaling process that makes it look like that) on right:

s4ztmpx5zu031.jpg

haIvXbD.jpg

did you have any fun at all or did it feel like flipping burgers for that employee of the month award?

If you are asking about the 2D Metroids I played then I rank them as some of the best games I've ever played. Super Metroid nearly put me off (and I was a bit down on that) because I did the sequence break by running and wall jumping up the ledge before I had high jump boots (I think thats the item you "need"?) so I was at the boss early and couldn't work out how to beat it and thought it was just really difficult.

I perused a guide and realised what I had done and went back to get the item and appreciated the ability to do it even if sequence-breaking/skipping items to make it harder is not my jam personally.

Although I will say that Fusion tested my patience with how weird the backtracking & point of non return part worked, also the storytelling method was hit and miss for me. Love those space animals though lol.

I haven't started the 2D marios yet, I crumbled and started another playthrough of Odyssey :messenger_tears_of_joy: Sushine has too many problems on emulation and my TV doesn't support my gamecube video outputs anymore, so I'll wait to for the Mario 3D All-stars Switch to... go.. on deal... next year... oh shit lol. Oh well I'm fucked, no Sunshine for me.

Top Bottom