• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's time for Apple to revolutionize software like they did with iPhone

RCU005

Apple is weird. In some cases they do some revolutionary stuff that changes entire industries like how they did it with iPod and iPhone. In some others, they stay far behind and are out of touch.

My point with this thread is about MacOS, iPadOS and iOS. I believe these operating systems are overlapping each other but not in a good way. I have seen many complaints that the Mac is getting iOS-ified, because it's getting many of the design language from iOS like switches and sidebars, etc. that don't belong on the Mac.

And what is iPadOS? Is it a modified version of iOS that wants to be MacOS? Is it the other way around? Is the iPad a giant iPhone, or a small Mac? I think here lies the issue and the need for a huge innovation in software and maybe hardware.

When Apple announced the iPhone they had to start practically from scratch when designing its software since it wasn't done before. Steve Jobs said the phone was 5 years ahead of its time, and it probably was true. I don't think we'd seen something like that before, or at least done that way before. They had to come up with silly terms like the pinch, to explain how to operate the phone with the hand instead of buttons or stylus pen.

Apple needs to figure a way to make all three devices work seamlessly. Create a new UI and UX that allows for a seamless transition between touch and mouse. Just controlling the iPad with a mouse and keyboard is not enough (and feels weird), and just making the Mac with a touchscreen wouldn't work either. However that's what Apple and others have been doing.

Of course it's easier said than done. Who is going to come up with a completely new Operating System that can work both with touch and M&K like we've never seen before? Will Apple be the first one this time? There shouldn't be iOS, iPadOs and MacOS. There should only be an Apple OS. It's time to integrate the software with hardware in a new way.

Another issue I think is preventing this from happening is the yearly release of software and hardware. It's just too often for teams to be able to work on something new. I know there's R&D teams, but I imagine they are stuck coming up with "new" features every year. Just look at the main Ventura feature which is Center Stage. It's just another window administration, when MacOS already has two or three ways to organize windows and does it extremely well, so do we need another half-baked feature?

What do you think? Would it even be possible to merge all devices with just one Operating System?

They have been spending years figuring out how to make everything work together seamlessly. It's at the point where I can message from anywhere, easily transfer files wirelessly, and everything syncs up quickly. The best way to have the ecosystem work doesn't involve destroying the usefulness of a given form factor, but having them work together in ways that make sense.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Historically, Apple was always PRing about being a rebel and different. Not because they just felt like it, but due to survival. But most people ate up the PR. They tried everything back in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. They got steady footing with iPod sales and then iPhone. As some analysts say, Apple isn't a tech company. They are a phone company.

They are no different than MS, Intel or any other tech company. The second they find their groove and make billions in profits, the natural course of business is to change from innovator to status quo incher upper banking the money.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
As some analysts say, Apple isn't a tech company. They are a phone company.
There’s your stupid statement of the week.

Does Apple have a valuation of AT&T or T-Mobile? Let me check:

AT&T - 122 billion
T-Mobile - 171 billion
Apple - 2370 billion

That fucking stupid market valuing one phone company 15x than others. Oh wait…

Last edited:

TDiddyLive

Apple needs to figure a way to make all three devices work seamlessly. Create a new UI and UX that allows for a seamless transition between touch and mouse. Just controlling the iPad with a mouse and keyboard is not enough (and feels weird), and just making the Mac with a touchscreen wouldn't work either. However that's what Apple and others have been doing.

That was the point of Windows 8. Nobody liked it. That’s why different types of devices have their own UI.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There’s your stupid statement of the week.

Does Apple have a valuation of AT&T or T-Mobile? Let me check:

AT&T - 122 billion
T-Mobile - 171 billion
Apple - 2370 billion

That fucking stupid market valuing one phone company 15x than others. Oh wait…
They arent talking market cap or profitability, they are talking % of revenue.

iPhone sales are about 50% of Apples revenue, and their Services segment which is apps, Apple TV and stuff like that is another 20%. A lot of the sales from Services will be from people doing it on their phone.

The rest of it is split up by iPods, watches and Macs.

Last edited:
Can’t believe there are still Apple haters in this day in age. Even all the proud android boys I knew in high school/college converted at this point.

Apple is definitely a tech company - integrating a physical item people use the most out of any item with services. Now bringing financial services as well. Apply pay is nice

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I'm ready for the day they remove all the ports and even the keyboard from their computers and say it took "courage".*

They had virtually the perfect laptops years ago, yet all they've done in the last decade was play around removing features, replacing them with gimmicks, then replacing the gimmicks with the features they had previously removed (the extra ports, alas, never came back). I don't trust them to not fuck up software-wise in the same fashion. They're too interested in walling their users inside their ecosystem. Having to update their products on a steady yearly release schedule surely won't help develop new, perfectly cooked innovations on the software and UI side.

*yes, they kinda did that with the iPad. Only to go full circle and release the most ridiculously expensive keyboards in history for the iPad.

nush

Gold Member

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Apple is weird. In some cases they do some revolutionary stuff that changes entire industries like how they did it with iPod and iPhone. In some others, they stay far behind and are out of touch.

My point with this thread is about MacOS, iPadOS and iOS. I believe these operating systems are overlapping each other but not in a good way. I have seen many complaints that the Mac is getting iOS-ified, because it's getting many of the design language from iOS like switches and sidebars, etc. that don't belong on the Mac.

And what is iPadOS? Is it a modified version of iOS that wants to be MacOS? Is it the other way around? Is the iPad a giant iPhone, or a small Mac? I think here lies the issue and the need for a huge innovation in software and maybe hardware.

When Apple announced the iPhone they had to start practically from scratch when designing its software since it wasn't done before. Steve Jobs said the phone was 5 years ahead of its time, and it probably was true. I don't think we'd seen something like that before, or at least done that way before. They had to come up with silly terms like the pinch, to explain how to operate the phone with the hand instead of buttons or stylus pen.

Of course it's easier said than done. Who is going to come up with a completely new Operating System that can work both with touch and M&K like we've never seen before? Will Apple be the first one this time? There shouldn't be iOS, iPadOs and MacOS. There should only be an Apple OS. It's time to integrate the software with hardware in a new way.

Another issue I think is preventing this from happening is the yearly release of software and hardware. It's just too often for teams to be able to work on something new. I know there's R&D teams, but I imagine they are stuck coming up with "new" features every year. Just look at the main Ventura feature which is Center Stage. It's just another window administration, when MacOS already has two or three ways to organize windows and does it extremely well, so do we need another half-baked feature?

What do you think? Would it even be possible to merge all devices with just one Operating System?
MS already did it. It was called Windows 8 and it was a piece of shit and Apple learned from that cluster fuck of a mistake and kept everything separate buy with increasing overlap.

Apple works best when they see technology already developed and iterate on it in a clean, simple, and immediately understandable way. MP3 Players existed long before the iPod, but apple created a very stylish, simple to use, and easy to understand device that had style. Same goes for the iPhone, the iPad, the iMac, etc.

As for universal usage - I think we already have it. Especially with the latest updates to iOS and iPadOS. Being able to copy a picture from any three devices and immediately drop it to the other devices - being able to just carry over information seamlessly and instantaneously - it is all wonderfully done. I think the biggest issue is the iPadOS and how... restrictive it is. I think it and the MacOS should just be one and the same, with different customization choices if one prefers. I have the M1 iPad Pro and there are so many games on the MacOS I could easily play on this system, but I can't due to the nature of what it is. Let me be able to access any software available on MacOS on my iPad and vice versa.

Apple? Nah, bring on a new start up to be a disruptor. One that isn't built around a walled garden, more Google or Azure over Apple these days.

Can’t believe there are still Apple haters in this day in age. Even all the proud android boys I knew in high school/college converted at this point.
Using terms like 'converted' and treating the brand like some inevitability amongst all of tech is probably a big reason why.

Mistake

Apple is more about using old crap or removing features entirely. I used to have wifi toggles on each app. Gone. Quick access doesn’t even fully turn off wifi or bluetooth like it used to. Lightening is outdated. What does apple have to offer at this point? Photos improved, but that’s about it

ReBurn

Gold Member
Apple won't be able to revolutionize software. "Software" is too abstract of a concept and there are too many different types of software. Apple isn't necessarily that great at it, either. They already impose their warped concepts in each iteration of iOS and inevitably there are many things they make worse each go-around.

I'm still salty about their decision to remove the great sleep options from the iPad and make them exclusive to iPhone. I preferred to use my iPad for bedtime and slow wake and they removed it because they deemed that it should only exist in the health app, which is only available on phones.

I'm still salty that they decided to not have your phone sound the wake up alarm any more if you're wearing your Apple Watch while you sleep. Instead it just taps your wrist, ensuring that you sleep right through it. I used to monitor my sleep cycle with my Apple Watch but I can't any more because Apple designers are utter morons.

Apple designers have their heads shoved so far up their asses sniffing their own farts that them trying to revolutionize anything other than their own gadgets would be a disaster.

Apple won't be able to revolutionize software. "Software" is too abstract of a concept and there are too many different types of software. Apple isn't necessarily that great at it, either. They already impose their warped concepts in each iteration of iOS and inevitably there are many things they make worse each go-around.

I'm still salty about their decision to remove the great sleep options from the iPad and make them exclusive to iPhone. I preferred to use my iPad for bedtime and slow wake and they removed it because they deemed that it should only exist in the health app, which is only available on phones.

I'm still salty that they decided to not have your phone sound the wake up alarm any more if you're wearing your Apple Watch while you sleep. Instead it just taps your wrist, ensuring that you sleep right through it. I used to monitor my sleep cycle with my Apple Watch but I can't any more because Apple designers are utter morons.

Apple designers have their heads shoved so far up their asses sniffing their own farts that them trying to revolutionize anything other than their own gadgets would be a disaster.

Irony not overlooked; Apple is in the phase where Microsoft was decades ago. Arrogancy.

Lasha

I'm unclear what you are asking for. Are you suggesting that you want an OS you can use a mouse with and touch at the same time? Or do you want mouse gestures?

Top Bottom