• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been one month, how do you use your Switch?

Cuburt

1. TV, HH, TT
2. PC, JC, JCG
3. Not really, was excited for the feature, will use it more eventually. Haven't really had the opportunity to use it. It was TV mode and with sideways Joy-con when I did play local multiplayer.
4. I bought a case to bring it out but never felt like playing it when I've been out of the house in handheld mode. When I use handheld mode, it's mainly at home.

Bonus: I have brought the entire system, dock and all, to someone's house where I got to show off Zelda, but didn't get a chance to play local multiplayer. It really extremely convenient to take everything with you, easier than the Wii U which was still pretty small and I had all my games on a USB HDD, but that had the bulky Gamepad and the huge power brick.

Also, I really thought I'd be using handheld more since I've played my 3DS and the Wii U in Off-TV mode more than I played my Wii U or PS4 on TV, but I really like how snappy the OS is and how quickly it loads straight into a game out of sleep mode so it's made playing on TV just much more so much more painless.

It sounds weird, but before having the Switch, the commitment of having to sit down and play a game might turn me off playing a console game at times, but having the option to play the game wherever I want as well as quickly jump in or out of a game, has made playing on the TV much more appealing. It also helps that BotW is a game I really love to experience on a big screen, although, I have taken it out of the dock and find myself still playing it in handheld mode an hour later. Having gaming truly adapt to my life rather than me having to adapt to it is huge. I mean the alternative up until now is playing different games in different circumstances, and while the Switch doesn't fill that gap for me of where I might play a quick game on my smartphone while I'm waiting in line at the post office or something like that since it's just not that portable, it is a pretty stellar replacement for a handheld, even for a console, and potentially for a tablet as soon as they roll out Netflix and YouTube apps.

I sometimes play it docked (more often now that I have a pro controller) and sometimes handheld, but never tabletop. I would occasionally play the Wii U in tabletop mode when playing a Wii game on it, but the gamepad had a better stand.

I never played local multiplayer. The person I thought might want to play Snipperclips with me doesn't have any interest in it. I also already have Puyo Puyo Tetris, a game they would play, on PS4.

It hasn't left my home since I brought it here, but I did play in a different room a couple of times!

Kanhir

1. a) Handheld, tabletop, TV
b) Handheld > TV >>> tabletop

2. a) Pro Controller, Joy-Cons separately
b) Pro Controller, Joy-Cons separately
(I used the grip once or twice, but the Pro Controller really wipes the floor with it)

3. a) Yes
b) Tabletop
c) Joy-Con sideways for Snipperclips / Depends on the minigame for 1-2-Switch

4. a) Yes
b) Yes

+Aliken+

a)TV mode / Handheld mode
b)TV mode / Handheld mode

a)Pro Controller / Joy-Cons separately
b)Pro Controller / Joy-Cons separately

a) Yes (Snipperclips)
b) TV Mode
c) Joy-Cons separately

a) Yes
b) No

Most played: Zelda, Snipperclips

RRockman

Banned
QUESTION: is there a way to use hotel wifi with this thing? I'm staying at hotels half of the time with my current work travel. I can't believe they didn't factor that into the initial design if it's not possible.

If you got the day one update then when you connect to hotel wifi a stripped browser will automatically open so you could log in.

flozuki

1. a) Which modes do you play? TV mode? Tabletop mode? Handheld mode?

All of them.

b) Can you rank in descending order your most played mode to the least?

Handheld mode, TV mode, Tabletop mode

2. a) Which control methods do you use when not using Handheld mode? Joy-Cons (separately)? Joy-Con Grip? Pro Controller? If you play Handheld mode exclusively, skip all of question 2.

Pro Controller, Joy-Cons (separately)

b) Can you rank in descending order your most played control method to the least?

Joy-Cons, Pro Controler

3. a) Have you played Switch in local multiplayer? If no, skip b) and c).

Yes

b) Which mode?

TV mode

c) Which control method do you and the other person(s) use?

Joycons

4. a) Have you played the Switch in handheld mode outside your home?

Yes

b) Have you played the Switch in tabletop mode outside your home?

Yes

Most played: Fast RMX, Snipperclips, Bomberman, Zelda (yes, in that order ;-D)

forrest

formerly nacire
a) TV mode, tabletop mode
b) TV mode, tabletop mode very briefly

a) Pro Controller
b) Pro Controller

a) No.
b)
c)

a) No.
b) No.

Going to be checking out the utorcase mount coming for the pro controller soon. With the ability to mount the tablet to the pro controller, I might actually put some time in with portable mode no Joy-Cons.

Lately i mess around with indie games in handheld while watching Netflix on the tv. Prefer to play bigger games like Zelda on the TV but finished Zelda. Will use tabletop occasionally to grind Disgaea.

This will probably be what I do for it's life. Serious play on the tv and grinding or low key play in handheld or tabletop. All depends on relationship status tbh. Handheld play is god when living with someone.

Jawmuncher

Has not left its dock since I beat Zelda. Tetris Puyo can't come soon enough.

Too many questions though for what amounts to I mainly play it in portable mode.

Ricky 7

1. a) Handheld 99.9% of time. Only docked it once for single player since I got it.

b) handheld, docked, tabletop

2. a) Joycon grip.

b)

3. a) Yeah been playing the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo a lot in 4 player. No point buying the full game, demo offers everything we need. Played Bomberman 5 player once.

b) Docked

c) single Joycon for each person.

4. a) Yeah on all my plane journeys, Zelda makes the long flights feel like nothing.

b) No

Animagne

Handheld all the way.

Played docked twice, once zelda with pro controller and the other time snipperclips / neogeo games local multiplayer with joycons.

a) Which modes do you play? TV mode? Tabletop mode? Handheld mode?

1aa) T.V. Mode - Connected to my PC Monitor
1ab) Handheld Mode
1ac) Tabletop Mode

a) Which control methods do you use when not using Handheld mode? Joy-Cons (separately)? Joy-Con Grip? Pro Controller? If you play Handheld mode exclusively, skip all of question 2.
b) Can you rank in descending order your most played control method to the least?

2aa) Joy-Con Grip
2ab) Joy-Cons (separately) but i plan on trying this mode more often

a) Have you played Switch in local multiplayer? If no, skip b) and c). Not yet but i plan to.

a) Have you played the Switch in handheld mode outside your home? Yes, at work during lunch and out the back garden now spring is here.
b) Have you played the Switch in tabletop mode outside your home? Yes, at work during lunch.

Currently loving the Switch, it's what i wanted the Wii-U to be although i do have to remember that i can play these games while wandering around the house etc as i keep forgetting i could be playing Zelda while cooking and stuff :)

I play the majority of time in portable mode much like I used my Vita

However I do play docked for local multiplayer

Have not used the tabletop mode yet but I have used the detached Joycons multiple times. Having access to instant extra controllers for bomberman was pretty damn nifty and I imagine its gonna be amazing for mario kart as well

Awesome system so far. Bravo Nintendo

nickerous

Portable mode 100% of the time. The only time I have it in the dock is if I am not playing and need to charge it. Joycons have never been taken off the console since I put them on launch night. Zelda has not been taken out either.

I have not taken it out of the house, but I did buy a case.

Ossom

I play in portable mode 95% of the time. Mainly around the house too. It seems to just come with me everywhere.

Zelda, Zelda, Zelda.

Played snipperclips demo in tabletop mode a few times with a friend.

Battery dies all the time. Feel like I can't justify an external pack for at home use.

Played no other consoles since launch. Zelda is a beast.

Love it and can't wait for more titles.

LordDisco

Neo Member
That's definitely an interesting story since you were able to play 1-2 Switch with others while riding the train.

Yeah. It was super-fun! We've done it a couple times, but the last time (Returning from a work conference) was the best.

Sure, there are only so many games you can play while in motion, but we were cracking up and so many people were watching us and filming us play. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up on Niko Niko or something.

The best one was the Eating Competition. It was the first time any of us had ever played that game, and everyone in the train car was laughing so hard. It was quite the entertaining experience! And to think, only the Switch can provide this kind of gaming experience right now. ;)

stoff

80% Handheld, 19% TV, 1% Tabletop

2. a) Which control methods do you use when not using Handheld mode? Joy-Cons (separately)? Joy-Con Grip? Pro Controller? If you play Handheld mode exclusively, skip all of question 2.
Strapless Joy-Cons separated. This seriously should've been the standard for all consoles since the Wii. Million times more comfortable than holding regular Controllers or Handhelds.
Only tried the Grip and Straps on once and I do not see the point in either. Same reason I do not own the Pro.

b) Which mode?
Sure for Snipperclips and Bomberman in both Docked and in Tabletop mode. Single Joycon for everyone. All works great. Very satisfied.

Yes. At friends places, in the office, in trains and on a riverside park bench so far.
Playing in direct sunlight doesn't really work as the screen simply cannot handle the brightness. Also, even on max the Audio is super low, so I doubt you'd hear anything in loud environments such as planes, unless you have very capable Headphones.
No other trains are as quiet as the Shinkansen, Nintendo!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I finished Zelda so I dont.

not trying to be an asshole here, its just the reality. I am commited to use it more than I did my Wii U tho, so ill probably pick up the big games this time (which I didnt on the WiiU after launch) starting with Mario Kart

edit: oh damn I didnt read the OP so I misunderstood the intent of the thread, I thought it was "how much do you use", my bad. I really wasnt trying to be a dick lol.

During Zelda it was actually pretty much 50/50 docked and handheld which shocked me as I expected to be docked 100% of the time. In fact by the end I was actually leaning towards handheld more, I even took it to work a couple of days. Last night in bed I was actually thinking "I could totally play some mario kart in bed right now if it was out".

So I think in the future ill go 60/40 or even 70/30 handheld vs docked. Depends on the game I guess.

1. a) Play almost exclusively in handheld as I don't have my own TV
b) Handheld 99.9%, tabletop 0.05%, docked 0.05%

2. a) When not in handheld mode I use the included grip.
b) Handheld 99.9%, joycon grip 0.1%

3. a) Have played local multiplayer.
b) Docked and table-top.
c) Split joycons.

4. a) Have played in handheld mode outside, in the car, waiting in line for food, and around the office during lunch.
b) I've played in table-top mode with my cousin and nephew at a restaurant while waiting for our table.

--------------------------

I've not had to stretch to justify the purchase price of the system. I've been getting a ton of use out of it so far and am loving it. Love being able to play anywhere without worrying about a powersource. I even got to play it during two blackouts at home and one at the office. Haven't run into battery issues as I've never been away from an outlet when I needed it.

dcx4610

100% table top mode.

I'm a PC gamer mostly so I have the Switch on a Hori Playstand on my desk and I use the Pro Controller. I can IRC, forums, websites, listen to music, etc on my PC while having the Switch right next to me. Works out perfectly for me.

anddo0

70% handheld; playing Zelda
30% docked with a Pro Controller; only when the Switch needs to be charged, or I feel like playing via the TV.

Pastry

Banned
I have literally never docked my Switch, the dock has yet to come out of the box. Don't really have much desire to play it that way, I bought it as a handheld and I'm pretty content playing it that way.

1. a) Which modes do you play? I travel a lot so handheld mode most of the time.

Handheld 80%

2. a) Which control methods do you use when not using Handheld mode? Joy-Cons for multiplayer

Handheld >> Joy-Cons

3. a) Have you played Switch in local multiplayer? Yes

b) Which mode? Tabletop

c) Which control method do you and the other person(s) use? Joy-Cons

Yes, since I travel a lot I've played in airport, plane, train and cafe.

Yes, with friends and random people.

Matbtz

I've made a form with almost the same questions if you want to compare the response and usage : https://goo.gl/forms/77MXA6qr1bSWoaLH3

For mines :

a) Which modes do you play?
Don't have much access to TV right now so : Handheld and tabletop

Handheld 70% Tabletop 20% TV mode 10%

2. a) Which control methods do you use when not using Handheld mode?
Joy con grip for extended play rather than handheld, or joy cons for multiplayer

Joy con grip > handheld > joy cons

3. a) Have you played Switch in local multiplayer? Yes

b) Which mode? Tabletop and TV mode

c) Which control method do you and the other person(s) use? Joy-Cons

A little bit, tomorrow I'll make my first train ride with it !

Yes with friends, and tomorrow on the train I will

1. a) Which modes do you play?
I put it in docked mode a grand total of four times, mostly to play local co-op games. When I'm playing stuff on my own, it generally stays in Handheld Mode.

Handheld Mode > Docked Mode > Tabletop mode

The latter hasn't gotten any playtime, and I don't really see myself using it much if ever.

2. a) Which control methods do you use when not using Handheld mode?
This will probably depend on the game. I bought a Pro Controller, so I'd probably end up using that if I'm playing a game in docked mode by myself. Thus far I only have experience with Snipperclips though, which requires the single joycons.

I have.

b) Which mode?
Docked mode, as the big screen still seems preferable for local multiplayer.

Each had single joycons. It was the only control method the game allowed for, I believe.

A decent amount of my Zelda time was done outside my home.

I have yet to use tabletop mode, and I don't really see myself doing it in the future.

100% Zelda so far although I have 1-2 Switch and Has Been Heroes.

90% handheld with the joycons attached to the console
10% TV with Pro Controller.

About 75% of the 90% is while laying in bed.

1. a) TV mode 70% of time; handheld 30%

b) Legend of Zelda: BoTW, Binding of Isaac - Afterbirth+, SnipperClips

2. a) JoyCon Grip

b) JoyCon Grip, JoyCon by themselves, handheld mode

3. a) Yes

4. a) Yes

b) Yes

mindsale

I stare at it every now and again. I played Zelda for about two weeks, and 'll play Mario Kart when that comes out.

a) Mostly Handheld, a little tabletop. Only used it on the TV once!
b) Handheld > Tabletop >>>>>>> Docked

a) Split joycons - only used grip once.
b)

a) Yes
b) Tabletop mode
c) 1 joycon each

a) Yes, at work on breaks.
b) Yes, at work on breaks.

Piscus

a) TV mode, Tabletop mode, Handheld mode.
b) Handheld mode, Tabletop mode, TV mode.

a) Joy-Cons (grip), Pro Controller.
b) Joy-Cons (grip), Pro Controller.

a) Yes.
b) TV mode.
c) Individual Joy-Cons.

a) Yes.
b) Yes.

1. a) Handheld and TV. Tried tabletop once and didn't like it.

b) TV/Handheld/Tabletop

2. a) Pro controller since I have left joycon issues.

b) Pro controller/joycon grip/freeballer

3. a) No

b) N/A

c) N/A

4. a) Yes. I bring it to work everyday and play it on lunch.

b) Yes I've set it up on the lunch table but I didn't really like it as the table was low.

Neoxon

b) Which mode?

a) All 3
b) (From most to least used) TV Mode, Handheld Mode, Tabletop Mode

a) Joy-Cons separately & Joy-Con Grip (can't afford a Pro Controller right now)
b) (From most to least used) Joy-Cons separately, Joy-Con Grip

a) Yes, the Snipperclips demo
b) Tabletop Mode
c) Two separate Joy-Cons

a) Yes
b) Yes

All of them.

Docked - Handheld - Tabletop

Joy-con separately and in a grip

Grip - Separate Joy-cons

Yes

b) Which mode?

Docked and tabletop

Separate Joy-cons

No (unless different houses count)

No (unless different houses count)

Skrams

a)Handheld, TV mode
b)Handheld, TV mode

a)Joycon Grip, Joycons
b)Joycon Grip, Joycons

a)No
b)
c)

a)Yes
b)No

---

I've not used TV mode at all besides Splatoon 2 because playing that with gyro in handheld mode is the worst. I tried using the joycons separately at first, but found it weird to handle. I actually like the included joycon grip well enough and felt comfortably using it for Splatoon.

My Switch has been a Zelda machine and in handheld mode for the past month. Now I toss it in the trash while I Persona 5 since I just finished Zelda fully the other day. I'll come back for some clean up later on along with Snipperclips and whatever else.

I've not taken it out often in public besides once or twice since I've had other things to do to occupy my time for those boring moments. I don't really have any complaints besides wishing the battery life was as good as the Vita.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Mostly in portable and tabletop fashion. Took it to work this past Saturday but it was dead when it took it out to play. No idea why.

Otherwise it hasn't been used in two weeks.

maxmars

Mostly handheld mode. I share the TV with four family members and it's seldom unused.
TV mode when available or when we play 1-2 Switch together.

Handheld mode, TV mode

Joy-Cons (separately), Joy-Con grip.

Joy-Cons, Joy-Cons (separately), Joy-Con grip.

Yes

b) Which mode?

TV mode, Handheld mode.

Joy-Cons (separately)

Yes

Yes

Most played: Zelda, 1-2 Switch, Fast RMX, Metal Slug, Snipperclips (roughly in this order)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh and btw I can totally see Mario Kart being 100% handheld.

ggx2ac

Upto post #135 I recorded 50 respondents and just did some quick numbers.

They don't really mean anything in the context of a general population and I haven't​ taken a random sample and done any tests etc.

I'm not at a computer to do any pie charts so you'll have to deal with text.

Of the 50 respondents:

a) Those who played what modes:

All: 42%
TV/Handheld: 30%
Handheld: 10%
Handheld/Tabletop: 8%
TV/Tabletop: 4%
TV: 4%
Tabletop: 2%

b) Those who played what mode the most:
Handheld: 50%
TV: 48%
Tabletop: 2%

a) What control methods were used when not in handheld mode:

Pro Controller: 28%
Pro Controller/Joy-Cons (separately): 16%
Joy-Cons (separately)/Grip: 14%
Grip: 14%
Joy-Cons: 12%
N/A: 8%
Pro Controller/Grip: 4%
All: 4%

b) What control method was used the most:

Pro Controller: 50%
Grip: 28%
Joy-Cons: 22%

a) Have you used the Switch in local multiplayer?

Yes: 64%
No: 36%

b) What modes were used?

TV: 34%
Tabletop: 31%
Both: 28%
Didn't specify: 7%

c) Control methods used by all persons involved:

Single Joy-Cons: 97%
Joy-Cons/Pro Controller: 3%

a) Have you taken the played the Switch outside your home in Handheld mode?

Yes: 70% (31% of those that said yes played only​ in Handheld mode outside)
No: 30%

b) Have you taken the played the Switch outside your home in Tabletop mode?

Yes: 50% (4% of those that said yes played only in Tabletop mode outside)
No: 50%

amanset

Haven't turned it on in around two weeks.

I just don't get on with the standard controller. It is far too small for my big hands and the left stick is way too easy to press down. I have a pro controller on order, they are expecting delivery on the 14th.

Peltz

Wow, that update in the OP is great. Looks like people really use a variety of different play styles. It's cool that once device can support all those needs. I will edit shortly with my answers.

Edit:

. a) Which modes do you play? TV mode? Tabletop mode? Handheld mode?

All three.

1. TV
2. Tabletop
3. Handheld

Pro Controller, joy-con grip, joy-cons separately.

1. Pro Controller
2. Joy-con separately
3. Joy-con grip

Yes.

b) Which mode?

Docked and tabletop modes.

Each uses one joycon or one uses the pro controller and the other uses joycon+grip.

No, only inside my home.

Yes.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
1. a) Which modes do you play? TV mode? Tabletop mode? Handheld mode? All three.

Docked = 60% handheld = 30% tabletop = 10%

2. a) Which control methods do you use when not using Handheld mode? Pro and split joycon.

b) Can you rank in descending order your most played control method to the least? Pro controller like 70% of the time when docked. Split joycon the other 30% and 100% of the time I'm in tabletop. Haven't used the grip since the day I got it. Feels like the epitome of a "3rd party shit controller" to me and I'm concerned it's going to set some pretty bad first impressions for newcomers.

Yep!

b) Which mode?
1-2 Switch and Snipperclips with 2 different groups in docked mode. Played a bit of 1-2 Switch in tabletop mode with a friend this weekend while his kids and wife took over the Tv. Pretty cool.

c) Which control method do you and the other person(s) use? Single joycon per person.

4. a) Have you played the Switch in handheld mode outside your home? Yeah, I've had it out and about. Little bit at work, little bit at the hotel.

b) Have you played the Switch in tabletop mode outside your home? Yep. Done so in public at lunch a couple times (Panera, local bagel place).

Top Bottom