• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been one month, how do you use your Switch?

Magwik

Banned
1. Docked

b) Docked, tabletop, handheld

2. a) Pro Controller

b) Pro, detached joyncons, joycons

3. No local MP yet

4. Yes and it was awful

b) Nope

Honestly, and it may be how the game is designed, but the battery hasn't been an issue in my exclusively unlocked time with the system. Personally, I'm never more than two hours away from an outlet in a situation where I'm on the system.

However, Zelda I'd again pretty decent to jump in and out of with its save system and content design. Titles in the future that may be less considerate of the players time could make it an issue, but by then there should be more power bank solutions on the market.

boxfresh

Neo Member
a) handheld
b) handheld > tabletop > tv

a) joy-cons separated
b) handheld > separated > joy-con attachment > pro controller (dont have one)

a) no

a) yes
b) yes

Bakkus

Docked only, Zelda only, Nintendo Switch Pro Controller only

Of course, I've then never played outside or multiplayer.

brinstar

1. a) Which modes do you play? TV mode? Tabletop mode? Handheld mode?

Handheld mode almost exclusively

b) Can you rank in descending order your most played mode to the least?

Handheld, TV, tabletop

2. a) Which control methods do you use when not using Handheld mode? Joy-Cons (separately)? Joy-Con Grip? Pro Controller? If you play Handheld mode exclusively, skip all of question 2.

Pro Controller

b) Can you rank in descending order your most played control method to the least?

Pro Controller, Grip, Joycons separate.

3. a) Have you played Switch in local multiplayer?

Yes

b) Which mode?

Tabletop

c) Which control method do you and the other person(s) use?

Joycons separately.

4. a) Have you played the Switch in handheld mode outside your home?

Yup. A lot.

b) Have you played the Switch in tabletop mode outside your home?

Yes, at a party.

I think that about covers it. I've used mine in handheld mode almost exclusively though.

I was afraid to dock it after the scratch scare so I have run only handheld since getting it. Pretty light at around 40hrs for Zelda. Finished Shovel Knight main campaign. Taking a break to come back for the expansions. Lots of Puyo Puyo demo during breaks at work. Getting ready to start Bindings of Isaac soon. Little bomberman online but I always gravitate to Zelda when I have the freetime.

I have 2 amFilm glass protectors ready to install but now I am too lazy/intimidated to screw it up so I just raw dog it while using and carry it with a case.

Kickstand mode with 2 left joy-cons behind a fish tank.

killatopak

Gold Member
Only played Zelda and nothing else. I purely used portable mode in fear of scratches. Used the joycons exclusively and not in tabletop mode.

Nowadays, I just carefully put mine in a case since I'm done with Zelda. I'll come back to it once hard mode gets released.

Zero83

I'm playing Zelda docked only, with the joy con grip. I find it much more uncomfortable to use in handheld mode than using the WiiU gamepad for off screen play. Then again, the gamepad wasn't ever a handheld like the Switch.

I played FAST rmx docked and in handheld mode. I don't get the appeal of the tabletop mode.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
1a. Docked and Portable. Tabletop only once on day one to try it out.
1b) Probalby 85% docked and likely to increase now that the NCAA tourney is over (played a lot with games on in the background)

2. Pro controller. Not a fan of the joycons on grip or off. Serviceable at best for me.

3. No local MP usage at all.

4a. Yes. I've played in a couple of waiting rooms (doctor and car maintenance) and once at a bar/restaurant while waiting on my fiance to meet me.
4b. No, only in portable mode.

a) Handheld, TV, Tabletop
b) Handheld, TV, Tabletop

a) Joy-Con Grip
b) Joy-Con Grip

a) Yes
b) Tabletop
c) Single Joy-Con

a) Yes
b) Yes

Ninja Dom

Alright, after one month I've logged:

75 hours of Zelda,
3 hours of Snipperclips
2 hours of KOF 98.

My order of play method is like this:

70% Docked mode to TV using a Pro Controller. I do this while I'm at home.
15% Tabletop mode using the Joy-Cons. I do this when I'm on my lunch breaks at work or when I'm at my girlfriends house and she's watching the TV.
15% Handheld mode. This is when I'm travelling on the train to work or my girlfriends house.

Sorry for not following your format.

Vena

Handheld mode.​

(1.) Handheld mode.
(2.) Tabletop mode to listen to Voez music.
(2.b) Tabletop mode.
(3.) Not using it.
(4.) Docked.​
----
2. a) Which control methods do you use when not using Handheld mode? Joy-Cons (separately)? Joy-Con Grip? Pro Controller? If you play Handheld mode exclusively, skip all of question 2.
b) Can you rank in descending order your most played control method to the least?
Not applicable!​
----
3. a) Have you played Switch in local multiplayer? If no, skip b) and c).
Yes.​
b) Which mode?
Tabletop.​
Split joycons.​
----
Yes.​

Yes.​

dadjumper

1. a) Docked mostly, handheld in bed or on the train.

b) Docked, Handheld, Tabletop

2. a) Pro controller>Joycon grip>Separate joycons>One joycon

b) Same as above but swap the pro controller and Joycon grip because I just bought the pro controller.
3. a) Yes

b) Two sideways joycons, for a couple of minutes to try to snipperclips demo. Hated the control method and didn't like the game.

c) Now we'd use one pro controller and one joycon grip. That's the plan for Mario Kart.

4. a) Yes

b) No.

trixx

1. Mostly play in tv mode, handheld sometimes, though i think Zelda much better played on tv. Never used tabletop mode

2. I don't have a pro controller so I usually play with joy-cons separate. Tried grip a couple of times but after the 3rd day, I haven't used it.
b) Joy-Cons separate>joy-con grip>>>1 joy-con

3. Oh nevermind I've used joycon individual for 1-2 switch, 6 player bomberman, and snipperclips at a friends place.

4. I've never taken my switch out

Probably like 90% docked and 10% handheld though if I had more handheld suitable games I'd probably use it more.

Cepheus

To start out, I only used it in docked mode, but recently I've started playing it in bed a lot more in portable mode. I've tried it out away from home in tabletop mode with friends, too.

tsundoku

1. a) Which modes do you play?
I play eShop docked, I pick it up out of the dock to play in bed sometimes. Or even to just play on the desk infront of my monitor. Its easier to use the speaker then changing the hdmi switch and also getting headphones plugged into it to play 1 daily round of isaac or puyo puyo

1. "Tabletop" aka 'fuck you why should you get to use the pro controller you paid for' mode
2. Handheld
3. Docked

2. a) Which control methods do you use when not using Handheld mode?
Pro controller in absolutely everything that allows it. Joycons seperated when i'm out of the house or playing on a table.
The Joycon non charging joke of a pack in grip has a thick layer of dust on it

1. Pro Controller
2. Joycons seperate
3. Joycons attached

yes:

b) Which mode?
Docked and tabletop mode at restaurants / coffee shops

Snipperclips mandates dumb joycon mode
Puyo Puyo demo with the joycon mode
Never played puyo puyo docked, i would have sucked it up and played joycons seperate and given the friend the pro controller

Yes while walking places and waiting for food and before and after work

Absolutely. The kickstand is not fantastic and i'd like to get a tablet style foldable triangle stand cover but its better then trying to play with it down on a tabletop cause no switch games seem to offer "lying flat" splitscreen (one side vert inverted) or lying flat 2x horizontal splitscreen (one bottom on left edge one bottom of right edge both tops of screen meeting in middle)

1. Handheld 80%, Tabletop 20%, Docked just once to check that it worked.

2. Usually the Pro Controller.

3. No

4. Yes and yes.

Playing time breakdown is about 50% Neo Geo games, 40% Zelda and 10% Bomberman

TV mode

Pro Controller

Zelda although once wonderboy is out that will change

Its only been out of the dock once and that was to put a screen protector on it

mandiller

1. a) All of them. Mostly handheld

b) Handheld, TV, tabletop

2. a) Joy-Cons separately (it's very comfy. I haven't felt the need to run out and grab a pro controller)

b) Handheld, Joy-Cons separately, Joy-Cons in grip

3. a) No

4. a) Yes

b) Yes

Zedark

I have been using my Switch mostly in handheld mode, like 75 out of 85-90 hours of playtime. At first I was just about exclusively using handheld mode, but the past few days I have been using docked mode a lot more, and it really makes the Switch shine. I have never used tabeltop mode, mostly due to the uncomfortable angle of the kickstand. I game exclusive single player, so I haven't used any multiplayer functionalities. I definitely have used handheld mode outside the house, specifically in the bus, the car, at a friend's house, and at university.

As for control options, in docked mode I have been using the joy-con grip, but I have a pro controller order, scheduled to arrive April 13th, and I will be using that for docked mode.

The versatility of the Switch is what makes it a great system in my eyes. It really is special to me to play the console game on the go.

xJavonta

Banned
1. I always prefer TV mode if possible. I'm a sucker for a big screen. But the Switch screen also works fine and I like the size of it - good balance between portability and playability.

2. I vastly prefer the Pro Controller. I take that with me even if I'm playing somewhere it's not convenient to bust out a controller. The stick placement is strange with the joycons.

3. Nope. I'll be playing Zelda for the next 2 months at this rate so it will probably be a while.

4. No.

QUESTION: is there a way to use hotel wifi with this thing? I'm staying at hotels half of the time with my current work travel. I can't believe they didn't factor that into the initial design if it's not possible.
Get one of those portable router power banks. They're such a necessity for anyone that is frequently in hotels

Edit: here's one on Amazon

Flintty

I mostly play in TV mode with the pro but occasionally switch to handheld if somebody else needs the TV. Where it has really shines though is business trips. I'm away again this week (second time since I got it) and being able to play Zelda in the evenings whilst I'm in the hotel for a week at a time is fantastic.

I don't do tabletop mode, I'm fine with it in my hands.

No regrets.

b) Which mode?

a) Handheld
b) Handheld > TV > Tabletop

a) Pro controller
b) Pro controller > Joycon grip (4 hours day one)

a) Yes, Snipperclips
b) TV
c) 1 half of the joycon each

a) No
b) No

Famassu

Hour 70 nearing in BOTW. I'll buy Voez next, as soon as I have finished BOTW and have the money. Mostly been playing BOTW in handheld mode. It takes some of the tedium away when I can listen to something like Critical Role at the same time.

Haven't played any multiplayer. So far haven't used it outside my apartment but that'll change today.

Use grip when playing in docked mode.

Handheld mode only.

I play it on the bus to work. I also play it at home, but I don't have a TV, so I play handheld mode there too.

Occasionally at home I play it tabletop mode with split joycon, but only if my hands get tired of holding it (it's pretty heavy in handheld mode!) Usually it's more convenient just to play handheld mode though, so I can adjust my viewing angle however I want.

correojon

* I have only played Snipperclips, 1, 2 Switch and Human Resource Machine. I played BotW on WiiU. Usually I play Snipperclips with my GF on TV, 1, 2 Switch when friends come visit on TV and Human Resource Machine on TV or in tabletop mode if my GF´s watching TV.

1. a) Which modes do you play? TV mode? Tabletop mode? Handheld mode?[/b]
TV mainly and some tabletop.

TV mode, tabletop, portable.

1 Joy-Cons as "Gyro" pointer for Human Resource Machine.

Joy-Cons separately and nothing else atm.

Yes
b) Which mode?
TV mode.

1 Joycon each (tilted for Snipperclips, many ways for 1, 2 Switch).

No.

No.

During the day, it's docked, with the TV. At night, it's tabletop mode in bed. Handheld mode on the couch sometimes when I'm chilling with others in the living room.

Outside of Zelda, it's equal, super minimal parts Fast RMX and SnipperClips.

Almost always with the puppy controller.

spekkeh

Banned
1. Handheld, docked, tabletop. I'm really surprised by this because I haven't really been interested in handheld gaming since the Gameboy. I owned a couple of handhelds since then but the experience was always too weak for me. Time wasters but nothing I get immersed in. Switch is the first time where it honestly feels like playing console level games on the go, and now suddenly it slots into my life perfectly. I can chip away at Zelda every one hour commute per day.

2. When they're not connected to the Switch, I prefer putting the joycons in the joycon grip. I have tiny Trump hands so it feels fine. The original Wii nunchuck mode is actually probably my favorite controller method, but with Switch I don't like using the right thumb stick in detached mode, it's too cramped. In addition my right joycons connectivity is a bit spotty.

3. Yes. Both docked for snipperclips, as well as tabletop for 1 2 Switch. Single joycon each for both games.

4. Yes, yes.

Jumeira

Banned
I have no use for it in mobile mode, always docked + pro controller.

Screen is too small, feels like a disservice to Zelda to play it in handheld mode.

lacinius

I've only used it in handheld mode and haven't even unpacked the dock components from the box it came in. It's perfect for playing Zelda/other games before I go to sleep at night, which is basically all I'm looking for from it.

Betty

Banned
Handheld & TV mode

Handheld >>> TV Mode

Pro Controller

Pro Controller > Joy-Con (separately)

Nope

Not so far

I'm surprised how much I'm using the Switch in handheld mode, it's just so easy to pick up and play.

membran

It's been in docked mode playing Zelda 99% of the time. I bought a Pro Controller a week after release and stopped using the JoyCons (while serviceable, they are no proper gamepad replacement). Played Snipperclips in coop mode with the Joycons for about an hour. I've only used handheld mode for a couple of minutes on the first day, just to get an impression of the screen, then put the Switch back into its dock, where it's rested ever since.

TikeMyson

1. a) Which modes do you play? TV mode, Tabletop mode, Handheld mode

1. Handheld mode
2. Tabletop mode
3. TV mode

2. a) Which control methods do you use when not using Handheld mode? Joy-Cons (separately)? Joy-Con Grip? Pro Controller?

Joy-Con Grip, Joy-Cons separately

1. Joy-Con Grip
2. Joy-Cons separately

(3. Pro Controller... just sold it, I used for maybe 30 Minutes. Joy-Con Grip is fine for me)

b) Which mode?

TV and Tabletop mode

Joy-Cons

No and no.

Vitacat

90% docked

Docked 90%, handheld 9%, tabletop 1%

Pro controller

Pro, joycons handheld, joycons split

Yes

b) Which mode?

Docked

joycons (Snipperclips demo)

No, but I haven't had a chance to travel since getting it, and I drive. If I still lived in NYC I'd probably use it all the time on subway commutes. As soon as I get a chance to do some travel again it will get used as a handheld more.

Yes, once. In a restaurant after work, and it was great. No one even noticed because I held the joycons in split mode, and the tablet just looks like any cheap Android tablet.

KaneU

I only have Zelda, and I prefer to play it on my TV, so the Switch has been docked most of the time. I also use Joy-cons without the grip.
I play in handheld mode from time to time, and am amazed by the screen. I assume I'll be playing MK8 Deluxe online matches mostly in handheld mode.
I also love how Splatoon 2 looked on the screen during the testfire, although the gyro controls were awkward in the beginning, but I got used to them after a while.

Top Bottom