• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[It's already dead News] Nvidia’s newly launched cloud-gaming service is (mostly) a stunner

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
arstech said:
Imagine it: a video game streaming service that lets you log on to the cloud, access games you already own on multiple storefronts (including free-to-play fare), and play them on any Windows, Mac, or Android device. You'd need nothing more than a broadband connection. You'd get snappy, low-latency performance, including tolerable stats on your router's 5Ghz wireless band. And you could access all of this for free.

All of this was what we had hoped to get out of Google Stadia, which arrived in November with promises of a tantalizing "Netflix for games" model. But that streaming service's launch was immediately hobbled with device restrictions, pricing confusion, and a terribly limited (and closed) games library. Instead, the above description comes courtesy of an utter surprise, launching today in both free and paid tiers: Nvidia's GeForce Now.

You can play for a limited time for free (and maybe with a waitlist), but if you pay US$5 you're good to go

Google has fucked up really bad

ZywyPL

Banned
GF Now only proves that games streaming IS indeed possible, easily, even today, so speaking of Stadia, it is just a matter of time (and will) for Google to put their shit together and make their service actually usable.

So how does this work? You prove your purchase to Nvidia, pay the membership fee, and they'll run a copy of the game for you on their server and stream it to you?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So how does this work? You prove your purchase to Nvidia, pay the membership fee, and they'll run a copy of the game for you on their server and stream it to you?

Sounds like it. Way better than buying through a Google store. Gonna try out the free version when I get home just to see what it's like.

CarlG

Neo Member
Not exactly. You don't prove a purchase to Nivdia. It just opens a Steam/Epic etc window and you log in.

GV82

I was in the beta for 1.5 ish years I bought the games off steam, then I streamed them from their virtual p.c’s on the cloud, to my shield TV console, No need for owning a actual p.c but you can of course.

You just got in free via shield, it was £7.99 iirc when it first started.

Now there’s two options sign up for an account with nvidia, loginto steam etc two options - free with one hour play before you have to log out (but can immediately restart a session though you may have to join a queue) or £5.99 or whatever it is they are charging with no time limits on their servers I think double check it.

You have to own the games through steam, they later added uplay, blizzard & epic stores.

Previously almost every steam game worked but there were bugs & issues, i later broke my shield proprietary adapter (which is not for sale separately anywhere not even their site) and apparently they removed lots of games and now have a refined list I believe, maybe some extra games may be added back or you could test them via the free offer I am not sure.

If it still works The unsupported Massive games that are say 100gb have to download and install virtually every time so it can take a while for those games, which would use up your free 1hr time slot, so I wouldn’t recommend those for the free accounts.
and it would have to do this virtual install & download every session, including if you got kicked off accidentally.

Whereas if the game is on the supported list it’s like it has it preinstalled virtually permanently so there’s not much waiting time

Last edited:

Fbh

Pfff, who needs low latency when you have NEGATIVE latency!!!!?!?!?!. Stadia FTW.

Seriously though, this seems like a much better and more appealing take on Streaming. The fact you can buy games where you want and still "own" (at least as much as you can "own" digital games) them regardless of what happens to the streaming service is MUCH more appealing than having to buy games specifically for streaming which you can only play trough streaming and are 100% dependent on the service being active and running.

The only scenario in which a "streaming only" version of a game would come across as a valid alternative (at least to me) is if it's like 90% cheaper

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Pfff, who needs low latency when you have NEGATIVE latency!!!!?!?!?!. Stadia FTW.

Seriously though, this seems like a much better and more appealing take on Streaming. The fact you can buy games where you want and still "own" (at least as much as you can "own" digital games) them regardless of what happens to the streaming service is MUCH more appealing than having to buy games specifically for streaming which you can only play trough streaming and are 100% dependent on the service being active and running.

There are also countless VD services as well, same thing except you have a full windows desktop. Shadow is probably one of the better known ones.

Enjoy the low cost while it lasts. Shadow keeps lowering the price, doubt any real money is made.

Last edited:

Over-Run

The crap part about this is they removed the unsupported games, now there is only a fraction of what they previously had which sucks. It was really good in beta but now I'm not so sure

Phase

What I like about this is that I can use it to supplement my actual "sit at my pc gaming." I obviously won't be playing my fps games with this service, but it'll be perfect for certain rpg's and more casual games.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
....Eisler says Nvidia's closed-beta waitlist exceeded 1 million users before today's launch and that roughly 300,000 people in all took part in the closed beta test."

So much for no demand

longdi

Banned
I played a bit through shield, pretty impressive considering it is not officially supported here.

DanielsM

Banned
....Eisler says Nvidia's closed-beta waitlist exceeded 1 million users before today's launch and that roughly 300,000 people in all took part in the closed beta test."

So much for no demand

Yes at $0 :messenger_tears_of_joy:, at $5, you don't even pay interest on the hardware costs, let alone all the other costs. Shadow is charging close to $35 a month (monthly), but they have to keep rolling out deals to get customers.

They have to eventually charge more than it would be for you to buy the stuff yourself.... this is how leasing and renting works... they have to charge more. Most consumers don't subscribe to VD type services because they cost more, and in gaming... latency.

This was Nvidia's original plan. $20 per 25 hours. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Yes at $0 :messenger_tears_of_joy:, at $5, you don't even pay interest on the hardware costs, let alone all the other costs. Shadow is charging close to $35 a month, but they have to keep rolling out deals to get customers.

They have to eventually charge more than it would be for you to buy the stuff yourself.... this is how leasing and renting works... they have to charge more. Most consumers don't subscribe to VD type services because they cost more, and in gaming... latency.

So is there no demand or is there no demand at a certain price? and are you claiming to know that price if so?

DanielsM

Banned
So is there no demand or is there no demand at a certain price? and are you claiming to know that price if so?

Demand is always based on price, the problem is you want to be charged less than it will cost them to run the service. The true cost has to be more than if you ran it at your own home. You're basically renting/leasing hardware, which has to cost more than pay them to manage it.

How do you think this works?

Which one is generally going to be a cheaper option?
- you go buy a dog, feed it twice a day, give it a bath once a week, and take it for walks 3-4 times a day
- or you pay someone to do all those things for you?

Enjoy the low cost while it lasts.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Demand is always based on price, the problem is you want to be charged less than it will cost them to run the service. The true cost has to be more than if you ran it at your own home. You're basically renting/leasing hardware, which has to cost more than pay them to manage it.

How do you think this works?

Which one is generally going to be a cheaper option?
- you go buy a dog, feed it twice a day, give it a bath once a week, and take it for walks 3-4 times a day
- or you pay someone to do all those things for you?

Enjoy the low cost while it lasts.

If we're looking at total price over the life of a console, and the console life being around 10 years then yeah it may be more overall. But there are ways for companies that sell products to subsidize or offset the costs by selling games and dlc. I'm sure different companies will have different ideas.

llien

What is the consensus, is it cooler than "god level" or even cooler than "arch-god"?

Came here for green orgasms.
giphy.gif

Ledgerius

Neo Member
I was in the beta for 1.5 ish years I bought the games off steam, then I streamed them from their virtual p.c’s on the cloud, to my shield TV console, No need for owning a actual p.c but you can of course.

You just got in free via shield, it was £7.99 iirc when it first started.

Now there’s two options sign up for an account with nvidia, loginto steam etc two options - free with one hour play before you have to log out (but can immediately restart a session though you may have to join a queue) or £5.99 or whatever it is they are charging with no time limits on their servers I think double check it.

You have to own the games through steam, they later added uplay, blizzard & epic stores.

Previously almost every steam game worked but there were bugs & issues, i later broke my shield proprietary adapter (which is not for sale separately anywhere not even their site) and apparently they removed lots of games and now have a refined list I believe, maybe some extra games may be added back or you could test them via the free offer I am not sure.

If it still works The unsupported Massive games that are say 100gb have to download and install virtually every time so it can take a while for those games, which would use up your free 1hr time slot, so I wouldn’t recommend those for the free accounts.
and it would have to do this virtual install & download every session, including if you got kicked off accidentally.

Whereas if the game is on the supported list it’s like it has it preinstalled virtually permanently so there’s not much waiting time

so is the game laggy or not? what makes stadia so bad that people complain? i think game can be run faster from my own pc than via internet

GV82

so is the game laggy or not? what makes stadia so bad that people complain? i think game can be run faster from my own pc than via internet

It mostly ran good, better via Ethernet or 5ghz Wi-Fi, and a decent connection.

That’s the thing it’s kind of meant more for non P.C owners or people with weak systems or the TV boxes and to compliment it not replace a P.C gaming (not yet)

Like I have a Steam library of a handful of titles back from when I owned a Desktop, I no longer do, but I was able to play my Steam games streaming to my Shield TV Box (for free at the time in Beta for a year & a half to two years) Just using a Box and The Internet no p.c involved my end. Either via the bundled controller, or keyboard/mouse or Xbox/DS4 (without extra apps)

The problem also with stadia is they charge you for games and you only get a streaming license, so you could pay $50 for the latest game and if you have no internet or it shuts down you lose that $50, whereas Nvidia allows you to log into your Steam, Epic, Uplay and Blizzard Accounts, if the service is down or closes permanently then hey at least you still have the games in the steam library etc.
All you are buying from nvidia is virtual p.c’s/server use from the cloud, the games are yours.

I wouldn’t say it’s amazing or will replace gaming direct on a desktop but, if you wanted to throw your shield TV in your backpack, so long as you got very good internet, you should be able to stream your Steam games anywhere including hotels etc.

Or if you owned a weak spec leaptop or mac or even a chromebook, mini p.c with a atom processor you could be playing games on it.

It does need Major improvements (like more game support) and support of course, but so long as a game is currently on the list and loaded into the servers.
you are good to go.

But it’s still miles ahead of Stadia and has been for about 2 years now, especially since Stadia didn’t integrate Steam or any of the other game stores, they just made a bigger noise than Nvidia did.

The difference now though compared to the beta is, when the beta first started to add steam, almost every steam game worked via steam and allowed you to play for free.

Now it’s out of beta, you choose either the free service which is play for an hour (but you can log back on straight away but you may have to wait in a server queue to play) or pay $5 with less restrictions, except i’d always advise if someone was going to see if it was suitable for their needs is test it out with the free account first.

Last edited:

Meowzers

What I don't get with this, is that in the FAQ section of their website states the games are free to play.....but you have to own them on Steam, so it doesn't make sense.

So if I buy a game that it supports, does it play in max settings, even from my phone or any device?

Also, why aren't there more games and will they add more soon?

I'm a dumb console gamer so this is all very new to me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i tried GeForce Now but it was just unplayable for me.

the visual quality was awful. It felt like playing on PS4. that wasn't really an issue compared to the severe input lag/latency.

the only good streaming service I've used is PS Now. haven't tried Stadia tho... lol

Top Bottom