• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It was nearly impossible to buy the PlayStation 5 at launch thanks in part to resellers using the same type of bots that snatch up Yeezy drops

Kagey K

Banned
It isn't as simple as that, you have to consider the game attachment rates too.

If someone has purchased a console at an inflated price, the chances are they are going to buy less games and accessories in the short term compared so someone who paid RRP.
Or if they were that desperate to buy it at that inflated price, they might be more likely to buy games and accessories at retail to justify their purchase.

It goes both ways.

I don’t think either give a shit about game purchases though, when Xbox has Game Pass Unlimited and Sony is offering the PS+ Collection.

They are both looking for console sales and playtime drivers right now.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Or if they were that desperate to buy it at that inflated price, they might be more likely to buy games and accessories at retail to justify their purchase.

It goes both ways.

I don’t think either give a shit about game purchases though, when Xbox has Game Pass Unlimited and Sony is offering the PS+ Collection.

They are both looking for console sales and playtime drivers right now.

It doesn't go both ways.

Consumers having less disposable money doesn't help Sony, Microsoft at all.

I don't understand the idea that they will be totally nonchalant about people buying at scalper prices.

Kagey K

Banned
It doesn't go both ways.

Consumers having less disposable money doesn't help Sony, Microsoft at all.

I don't understand the idea that they will be totally nonchalant about people buying at scalper prices.
Well we have seen both of thier actions to help prevent scalpers (essentially nothing)

So you obviously care more than they do.

It seems to be affecting their business model minimally.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Well we have seen both of thier actions to help prevent scalpers (essentially nothing)

So you obviously care more than they do.

It seems to be affecting their business model minimally.

It's the retailer's that need to do more.

Kagey K

Banned
It's the retailer's that need to do more.
Again they make and sell what they order at the profit percentage they expect.

Why should they do better? It’s not like you are sticking around to order their loss leader and buy other shit at the same time.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Are you telling me that people buy from scalpers on ebay because they don't have access to Amazon, Wal Mart, etc....

You see no difference between scalpers and a legitimate business like your local department store?

Here you admit that they are preventing people from getting these goods at MSRP from a legitimate retailer and you say it's not ok if it's a necessity. Good to know. I just don't think buying up all the stock and reselling for a huge markup is ok for any product.

Bullshit. If they bought it from a scalper on ebay then they could bought it from Wal Mart or Amazon or Best Buy's websites had the stock not been taken by scalpers and they probably would have preferred not to pay twice as much. Are you saying that these scalpers are doing a favor for rich people by buying up the stock and setting the price too high for poor people? Are you defending your own actions here?
1. People buying from scalpers would most probably not get the console before going through several sellers and/or a similar number of queues for days, weeks or months. They don't want to wait and don't care about you not getting your console. Demand is high and offer is too limited, if not, scalpers wouldn't even be an issue to begin with.

2. As long as the goods being sold are legal, there's no difference. A lot of small businesses start or keep seeling by buying from retailers and selling them in other places for many reasons.

3. It's ok for as long as there's demand and they're not selling illegal things or essential goods, people is just taking advantage of a situation as usual, it's not gonna stop happening EVER.

Do you know why even black markets exist? Whenever regulations get in place, people just keep doing their thing and that's it, it's just gonna be called "black market", but things won't change, history has proven that repeatedly. If anything, prices raises a lot.

4. I'm not scalper nor I know someone who is. I'm just against regulations for the sake of regulations. And lol not most of stock is being bought by scalpers, the thing is that there is just so much demand and so little offer that people need to ventilate their frustration. If scalpers magically stopped today, tomorrow you wouldn't even notice it a change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom