• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Takes Two | Review Thread

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
it-takes-two-hero-banner-desktop-01-en-29jan21

PC:
unknown.png

PC Invasion 9,5/10
A fantastic presentation buoyed by constantly enjoyable, varied gameplay and wonderful level design make It Takes Two a must-play for fans of platformers. And even anyone who's ever wanted to play a Pixar movie.

Millenium 9,5/10
Let's not be afraid to say that It Takes Two is one of the best cooperative games available: the new Hazelight hits the nail on the head every time, with numerous, varied and always very inventive situations.
Not to spoil anything, the sublime art direction and the endearing duo formed by Cody and May sweep away its few flaws, which are more of a quibble than anything else. A killer-app, that we warmly recommend to you.

Shacknews 9/10
Playing It Takes Two took me back to the era of couch co-op games that I would play with my friends and family. The shared laughs, frustrations, and triumphs are an aspect of co-op games that I had sorely missed.
With inventive and creative gameplay puzzles coupled with some unique environments, It Takes Two is without a doubt the greatest couch co-op game I’ve played in recent memory.

GameStar 8,7/10
For It Takes Two we chose the most cynical tester in our editorial team - and in the end, despite many prejudices, he was blown away from the co-op game.

PC Gamer 8/10
An excellent co-op adventure that doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's the only place it falls short.

Playstation:
unknown.png

GamesRadar+ 10/10
It Takes Two is a Pixar-worthy adventure that consistently innovates, offering players an excellent co-op experience unlike any other.

Game Revolution 9,5/10
It Takes Two is one of the most delightful and ceaselessly entertaining co-op games I’ve played. Hazelight offers so many exciting levels, abilities, set-pieces, and mini-games, but does not let this extreme level of variety affect its quality.
Every new idea is introduced to the game with care and used in a way that players can enjoy, before promptly being recycled out for an even better one. That this is the developer’s first platformer is staggeringly impressive, and I can only hope that this won’t be its final flirtation with a genre it’s clearly head over heels for.

GameMAG 9/10
It Takes Two is probably the biggest surprise of this spring. While the world is still in a pandemic lockdown, and games are getting delayed left and right, Josef Fares gives us an insane adventure that is full of both drama and cool gameplay ideas.

Power Unlimited 8,7/10
It Takes Two is a crazy rollercoaster ride filled to the brim with fun co-op mechanics, references and wonder. Hazelight Studios shows they have learned from their previous game, and with It Takes Two delivers a wonderful feel-good game that will drag you along for an amazingly long time.
This one is going to show up on the "best co-op games" lists.

LevelUp 8,3/10
Despite its flaws, It Takes Two is a special and highly polished game. It is full of surprises, new mechanics and a lot of heart. A must play for fans of co-op games.

IGN Spain 8/10
A firm commitment to cooperative multiplayer, a title that seeks to continue expanding a particular idea, a way of seeing the game in which its author has placed his trust. For that reason alone it deserves a certain degree of attention.
But it also manages to make this proposal based on cooperation work wonderfully. Not only does it fill an empty space in our catalogs, but it also does it with a good grade.

Twinfinite 8/10
It Takes Two's refreshing gameplay loop and heavy focus on cooperation and timing results in some of the most satisfying puzzling, platforming, and combat I've seen in a very long time.

Press Start Australia 7,5/10
Although the story of Cody and May doesn’t meet the standards set by the game’s varied gameplay, It Takes Two sees the continued form of Josef Fares and his team at Hazelight in crafting wonderfully creative and engaging worlds for players to share and collaborate in.
It Takes Two is a co-op experience that’s second to none, which offers more ways than you can imagine to experience these larger than life play spaces.

Xbox:
unknown.png

Gfinity 10/10
Varied and ambitious in scope, it's the culmination of what Josef Fares began with Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons back in 2013, and in these bizarre times it's a perfect antidote to a world currently devoid of physical connection.
Don't be fooled by the impermanence of its mechanics - the story and characters will stay with you long after you and your friend log off, and you may just feel a little closer, too.

VG247 10/10
Honestly, It Takes Two is one of the most pleasant surprises in video games I’ve ever had. I went in more or less expecting a fairly gimmick-laden brief but fun escapade, but it’s so much more than that.
This is a game that I would recommend to anyone who longs for the kind of no-holds-barred childlike fantasy so common in the 80s but seems less common today. If that is you, don’t sleep on this real gem.

Game Informer 9,3/10
It Takes Two may not be the platforming juggernaut that it aspires to be, but it more than makes up for it with its big heart, wealth in variety, and gorgeous imagery.
All of its individual actions are things we’ve done in other games, but when applied to this distinct cooperative approach, they take on a whole new life and are used in wonderful ways over a long adventure.
The action will have you laughing and screaming at your TV, and the story stays strong throughout, creating the backbone for an entertaining adventure that roars with excitement and should keep you glued to the controller to see if this couple’s lost love can be rekindled.

Stevivor 8,5/10
It Takes Two wears a lot of hats, and each of them well. It's a romantic comedy, a challenging shooter, a head-scratching puzzler and more.

GAMINGbible 8/10
All in all, It Takes Two is a wonderful two-player experience, with plenty to immerse you and your co-op partner in for hours on end, whether that be at home or online.
Hazelight have worked wonders in the co-op genre yet again here - but with that said, there are still a few moments of annoyance along the way. But if you fall in love with Cody and May early on, you'll quite easily see past this.
It Takes Two welcomes both non-gamers and gamers to join in the fun together, and ultimately learn the relatable reality behind that title.

Windows Central 7/10
While the game's creativity shines in its beat-by-beat gameplay and level design, It Takes Two's selling point — its narrative — feels half-baked.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Damn, didn't expect that much after A Way Out. Might actually give it a go.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Oh good. I am buying it... but I live alone :(
This game as the same feature for coop invitation than A Way Out !
Explained here:

Is it local co op on PlayStation?
Yes, local split screen

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Thats cool. I liked the idea of A Way Out a lot but it just didnt seem to come together the way they intended. This looks far better.

saintjules

This game as the same feature for coop invitation than A Way Out !
Explained here:

Yes, local split screen

So my question is, one day you play with someone locally. You stop and then two days later, pick up where you left off. So someone else will just jump in and resume? I just wonder because what if you want to resume with the person that you spent time with getting to a specific point? I guess that's where the Friend's pass comes into play?

Last edited:
Beautiful looking game - looking forward to playing (can't remember if it's tonight or tomorrow it unlocks).

My wife went through Astros pretty easily after never really playing any 3D games so hopefully we should have a good time with this.

Interfectum

So REEE and Twitter are getting triggered from this game because the story tries to keep the couple together?

The minute any game tries to tackle something resembling real life issues people freak the fuck out. It's no wonder most of the time we end up shooting aliens in some generic sci fi bullshit.

So REEE and Twitter are getting triggered from this game because the story tries to keep the couple together?

The minute any game tries to tackle something resembling real life issues people freak the fuck out. It's no wonder most of the time we end up shooting aliens in some generic sci fi bullshit.

Oh is that so? Haha, I only saw the Polygon review and rolled my eyes:
The game repeatedly emphasizes that divorce can be solved if the couple can just learn to like each other again, always pivoting when the story gets too close to questions about money, sex, and the responsibilities of child-rearing. It would seem the target player is a child who wants to hold onto a deeply simplistic idea of relationships.

The writing is far too childish and simplistic to be enjoyed by adults

'It's too childish to be enjoyed by adults'... 89% metacritic rating lol

Yeah what I really want is a coop platformer where you solve puzzles with a friend like matching your libidos and deciding on a calendar of which inlaws to go to for which holidays.

Last edited:

JoduanER2

Oh is that so? Haha, I only saw the Polygon review and rolled my eyes:

'It's too childish to be enjoyed by adults'... 89% metacritic rating lol

Yeah what I really want is a coop platformer where you solve puzzles with a friend like matching your libidos and deciding on a calendar of which inlaws to go to for which holidays.

Polygon really are brainless weirdos

Wizz-Art

Ladies and gentlemen, please allow me to sum up the user base of Xbox in only three words.
Game Pass gamers spend more time playing games, they also play more varied games and last but not least they spend more cash in general on games. For me Game Pass gives you a try to play games which you otherwise wouldn't or aren't sure you'd even like. So, if I happen to like the game, I'm maybe buying it and sure as hell gonna tell my friends how good it is so they'll probably try the game themselves if they are a Game Pass subscriber or trust my opinion and outright buy it. For this title I'd rather have a go with it on Game Pass first before I decide. The frame that Game Pass subscribers aren't buying games and simply wait untill it's on Game Pass is ludicrous.

Here is a picture that says it all. In addition to the 814 games I have installed, I have 103 games that I own uninstalled as I've beaten them and/or will not play again. I have 100+ Game Pass and Gold games uninstalled as I've beaten them, tried them and found out they're not my cup of tea.

BlnUPP4.jpg

I guess your 'gotcha' moment slightly backfired?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Only because it kinda comes off as an art game which turns me off too sometimes. That's about it really.
I mean it’s a game about 2 white cisgender people in a traditional heterosexual marriage. That shit is like kryptonite for SJWs. The only pro-SJW thing it has is that the male protagonist isn’t excessively masculine and strong.

Make them a gay couple, or make one of them a PoC or transgender, then they’d absolutely eat it up.

Top Bottom