• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems that Mega Man 11 is now the best-selling game in the franchise at 1.60 million copies sold.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The 2nd Legends has analog control. Also the PSP version of Legends 1 iirc.
good, though that's just one problem i have with the series. it simply just doesnt feel like the best way megaman could have been adapted to 3d and like remember_spinal remember_spinal said there's no reason for that to be the case when similar franchises with similar concepts have outclassed their 3d entries from a gameplay standpoint.

good, though that's just one problem i have with the series. it simply just doesnt feel like the best way megaman could have been adapted to 3d and like remember_spinal remember_spinal said there's no reason for that to be the case when similar franchises with similar concepts have outclassed their 3d entries from a gameplay standpoint.

? Well firstly you questioned the games analog control, I was just pointing out they did, but addressing your last point.

Mega Man Legends was the first 3D Mega Man series period, and the first game came out in 1997, when only PC had free-flow movement in combat, where all 3D gunner console games were basically movements were based on straight lines, or as if the player were on a grid with some limited flexibility, unless you're pivoting while running forward. Even the games that didn't always keep you facing forward. it was pretty much at the time one of the few ways (to console developers knowledge at the time) to make a Mega Man like game in 3D then. So when you say "no reason for it" I think you may be depending on hindsight a bit too much.

I do agree that it's not really "Mega Man" but It's very clear what Inafune was going for too, at the expense of the franchise which he almost killed to try and push the Legends games, he clearly wanted an Dungeon RPG/Customizable TPS hybrid and thoughtthat Legends using the Mega Man name was the right trojan for sales, mindshare, popularity, and gamer interest, it wasn't.

So really, the problem is that you're considering Legends an "adaption" but outside of taking familiar names and some color schemes, nothing in Legends is an adaption of Mega Man.

We have however, seen the concept of Mega Man done in 3D before, with Mega Man X7, and arguably though 2.5D, Mega Man X8. I think the issue with trying to adapt the 2D games to 3D for Mega Man is simply the mechanics and the stage design, and the concept of Mega Man/X's "stages" in the first place, don't work.

They don't really work well in 3D. In fact, if X7 showed us anything, the same things that barely work, are broken, or mechanically flawed, are almost entirely remedied when you get to a "2D" area in X7 from a "3D" area. The concept of throwing yourself in one of 8 stages to explore, run around, collect gadgets, upgrade, and steal weapons from bosses is something that could work well in a 3D game, but I think that falls apart once the gameplay comes in.

I don't think you can actually make a Mega Man/X adaption, a real one, in 3D and have a game succeed.

Top Bottom