• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It saddens me to no end that one day Ubisoft will put a bullet in back of The Division's skull and throw it into a ditch

Drizzlehell

Banned
Where it will be buried in a mass grave along with all the other Ubisoft live service games that ended up getting shut down, never to be played again.

Now, okay, I realize that this game may not have an universal appeal or that it's not exactly a critical darling. But it is one of my favorite games of all time that I just love in spite of its flaws. It's probably one of the few rare exceptions where the game is still enjoyable to me in spite of the much-despised Ubisoft formula, which I also personally hate for its cookie cutter, hollow design that prioritizes quantity over depth and it's just one of the most boring kinds of games I could imagine next to sports games and train simulators.

To me, what saves The Division from being just another Ubisoft game where you spend 90% of your time grinding meaningless content, is just how cozy it feels to play around Christmas season. The visuals? Incredible, with mind-blowing attention to detail and fantastic art direction which brings the snow covered, and christmas lights-illuminated streets of post-apocalyptic NYC to life like literally no other game I've ever seen. Everything about it from an audio visual standpoint - from the lush soundscape, to amazing weather effects - just makes me feel like there's nothing between me and the TV screen when I play this game. It's that immersive for me.

And then there's the gunplay and general character progression, which I also find really easy to get into. The guns just feel great to use and with my 5.1 DD sound system makes me feel like someone's ripping those bursts of machine gun fire in my own living room. I remember that the game used to have enemies that were kinda bullet sponges but idk, for a while now I didn't have this problem but maybe that's just because I comb through every district in search of collectibles and complete every side mission and encounter before I move on to the next area. Again, if this were any other Ubisoft game, this would likely be a bigger pet peeve but since these games are basically counting on you to grind absolutely everything, then the progression system doesn't feel like it's artificially slowing down your progress if you're being thorough. It's kinda ironic because I enjoy the gameplay loop so much that I don't mind the grind, and the game actually rewards me for it by making the combat not tedious.

Anyway, enough wanking off about why I love this game so much. My main point is that it's crushing to me that Ubisoft will eventually kill it because the player base will continue to dwindle, server upkeep will cost money, and there's absolutely no way that they will ever release an offline patch for this thing. It's just not gonna happen. What's gonna happen is servers will get shut down, and that'll be the last we'll ever see of The Division. A game that I routinely replay every year, and it became a bit of a Christmas tradition to me.

Thanks Ubisoft...
bd50b5ab-2b06-4b8c-b8c9-4d8ed3dbf484_text.gif

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Division 1 was amazing they completely lost me with D2

Same. I still think D1 is a god-tier game. Really well done all around. Amazing visuals, amazing city, amazing atmosphere, cool factions, solid progression, good loot system and upgrades. Everything is just cool as hell in that game.

And then came D2 and I was out. The setting and atmosphere sucked, the city sucks to navigate, they changed the skills and loot systems, the upgrade systems. Pretty much everything I liked about The Division got removed or changed in some way.

D1 is still the superior experience by far. But in fairness it's kinda wild we haven't had a D3 announcement.

You know what, considering it's Christmas I might just reinstall it just to walk around that beautifully rendered New York city with its snow and Christmas decorations.

Denton

I only played Division 1 solo and found it to be decent, 6/10 cover shooter with bland story, but I gotta admit the winter NYC was very well realized.

However I am getting my Christmas NYC infusion right now in Spidey Miles and having great time with it

But since this is a Division thread, I am going to post my gameplay from it too:

It still looks great.

And yeah I tried Division 2, twice, but left it after few hours each time. The atmosphere wasn't there at all and the gameplay was still kinda boring.

SJRB

Gold Member
And yeah I tried Division 2, twice, but left it after few hours each time. The atmosphere wasn't there at all and the gameplay was still kinda boring.

The shift from that snowy Christmassy iconic NYC to the drab, muddy, swampy Washington was an incredible error in judgment.

I mean, when you think about following up a game that takes place in winter NYC, the first thing that comes to mind is summer LA, San Francisco or Washington. But by doing that they completely butchered the atmosphere and the atmosphere carried the first Division.

It's just so fucking boring to walk around, whereas I can literally walk around casually in NYC for hours in D1.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Same. I still think D1 is a god-tier game. Really well done all around. Amazing visuals, amazing city, amazing atmosphere, cool factions, solid progression, good loot system and upgrades. Everything is just cool as hell in that game.

And then came D2 and I was out. The setting and atmosphere sucked, the city sucks to navigate, they changed the skills and loot systems, the upgrade systems. Pretty much everything I liked about The Division got removed or changed in some way.

D1 is still the superior experience by far. But in fairness it's kinda wild we haven't had a D3 announcement.

You know what, considering it's Christmas I might just reinstall it just to walk around that beautifully rendered New York city with its snow and Christmas decorations.
I played quite a lot of The Division 2, both solo and in co-op (I even beat the entire campaign with two of my buddies). While I would agree that some of the changes to the progression system were questionable, overall the game also made a lot of improvements that I liked. I thought that the new guns, equipment, and loot were more fun to use, there was a bigger enemy variety, main missions were more memorable and fun, and most importantly - there is an actual endgame that you can continue to play solo and it's actually pretty good. The Warlords expansion is also pretty cool and adds more story content, which The Division 1's expansions didn't have at all.

The setting can also grow on you. Obviously, I much prefer the snowy/Christmasy feel of the first game but the new locations are just as detailed and fun to explore as the first game, with many interesting landmarks to explore.

Just my opinion, though. IMO it's worth giving the second game a shot too.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I feel like they could set Division 3 in San Francisco and no one could tell if it were set before or after the viral apocalypse :p

FWIW, Fortnite has a lot of fun holiday themed stuff as well.
I never tried Fortnite since I'm an old geezer and there's nothing about it that looks appealing to me. To me, the only reason to play this game is if you're either a streamer, a kid, or a parent who's playing it with his kids.

Maybe if it had PvE then I'd give it a whirl but otherwise I don't need that aggravation of getting my ass kicked by random 8 year olds for Christmas, lol.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I also appreciate Garrus Vakarian constantly updating me on my progress.

I wish there was an option to have something like that IRL.

jigglet

Banned
you can blame that on everyone who asked for division 2.

live service games should NOT have sequels. it splits the playerbase, splits dev focus, and deincentivizes people from getting too invested cause they know part 3 is on its way.

smartest thing they ever did with siege was say no fucking sequels, it's a gaas god dammit

bitbydeath

you can blame that on everyone who asked for division 2.

live service games should NOT have sequels. it splits the playerbase, splits dev focus, and deincentivizes people from getting too invested cause they know part 3 is on its way.

smartest thing they ever did with siege was say no fucking sequels, it's a gaas god dammit
Exactly this, Siege and Fortnite are the best online shooters because of this.

bitbydeath

I never tried Fortnite since I'm an old geezer and there's nothing about it that looks appealing to me. To me, the only reason to play this game is if you're either a streamer, a kid, or a parent who's playing it with his kids.

Maybe if it had PvE then I'd give it a whirl but otherwise I don't need that aggravation of getting my ass kicked by random 8 year olds for Christmas, lol.
Kids play all games so don’t let that hold you back.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The first Division was so glorious. I bought the second on launch day and fell off it hard shortly after and have never went back. Now they’re making a mobile game. Franchise had so much potential from that infamous E3 demo but has just fallen short a little bit, it’s a shame. Does it still have a pretty active community?

Drizzlehell

Banned
The first Division was so glorious. I bought the second on launch day and fell off it hard shortly after and have never went back. Now they’re making a mobile game. Franchise had so much potential from that infamous E3 demo but has just fallen short a little bit, it’s a shame. Does it still have a pretty active community?
I'm playing the first one on Xbox now and there are still some people running around. Nowhere near as many as in the second game, which I played only a few months ago, but it's not completely dead which puts me at ease a little.

Last edited:

LordCBH

I don’t understand why they don’t have crossplay for Division 2. I downloaded it the other day cause I didn’t realize it was in my PS library, but have no one to play with cause my buddies have it on pc. I’m having fun solo at least.

jason10mm

Gold Member
There is a PvE mode. I've never played it because I only play to earn my kid some levels but it is out there.

But fortnite has a dog shit "story" so for a solo player it has little to offer IMHO.

jigglet

Banned
Exactly this, Siege and Fortnite are the best online shooters because of this.

when i saw acti make that part 2 to a BATTLE ROYALE game (warzone i think) I laughed my ass off. talk about not getting it. as if it's not hard enough to sustain 100 person match making especially in smaller countries, you want to further split that playerbase? ffs.

Last edited:
I had my sights on division2 since I had recently travelled to DC and learned the game was a scale recreation of the city. Soon enough, the game was on sale for $3 and I bought without hesitation. I instantly loved the game, just exploring around and appreciating the environment. The missions were fun and I eventually got the platinum. I got my buddy to co-op and i replayed the entire game and we had a blast. It remains one of my favorite gaming experiences.

Months after, I figured i would try division1 despite my assumption that it would be lesser of a masterpiece, but the sale price was reasonable and i was still not fatigued of the gameplay. I finished the story missions and did as many collectables as i could. My overall feeling was it was a solid game but it did not exceed my awe of d2. I did not bother with the dlc or attempting the platinum (dark zone stuff is a pain inthe ass)

Fast forward to present day, i am replaying division1 partly because of the season, and because i felt i missed some overall experience after reading so many peoples' superior opinion of it, over the sequel. After a few hours in a new game, I understand it now, the atmosphere is like no other. It far exceeds d2 in that regard. OPs summary of the game is spot on. I will continue to replay it and maybe attempt the platinum.

Where it will be buried in a mass grave along with all the other Ubisoft live service games that ended up getting shut down, never to be played again.

Now, okay, I realize that this game may not have an universal appeal or that it's not exactly a critical darling. But it is one of my favorite games of all time that I just love in spite of its flaws. It's probably one of the few rare exceptions where the game is still enjoyable to me in spite of the much-despised Ubisoft formula, which I also personally hate for its cookie cutter, hollow design that prioritizes quantity over depth and it's just one of the most boring kinds of games I could imagine next to sports games and train simulators.

To me, what saves The Division from being just another Ubisoft game where you spend 90% of your time grinding meaningless content, is just how cozy it feels to play around Christmas season. The visuals? Incredible, with mind-blowing attention to detail and fantastic art direction which brings the snow covered, and christmas lights-illuminated streets of post-apocalyptic NYC to life like literally no other game I've ever seen. Everything about it from an audio visual standpoint - from the lush soundscape, to amazing weather effects - just makes me feel like there's nothing between me and the TV screen when I play this game. It's that immersive for me.

And then there's the gunplay and general character progression, which I also find really easy to get into. The guns just feel great to use and with my 5.1 DD sound system makes me feel like someone's ripping those bursts of machine gun fire in my own living room. I remember that the game used to have enemies that were kinda bullet sponges but idk, for a while now I didn't have this problem but maybe that's just because I comb through every district in search of collectibles and complete every side mission and encounter before I move on to the next area. Again, if this were any other Ubisoft game, this would likely be a bigger pet peeve but since these games are basically counting on you to grind absolutely everything, then the progression system doesn't feel like it's artificially slowing down your progress if you're being thorough. It's kinda ironic because I enjoy the gameplay loop so much that I don't mind the grind, and the game actually rewards me for it by making the combat not tedious.

Anyway, enough wanking off about why I love this game so much. My main point is that it's crushing to me that Ubisoft will eventually kill it because the player base will continue to dwindle, server upkeep will cost money, and there's absolutely no way that they will ever release an offline patch for this thing. It's just not gonna happen. What's gonna happen is servers will get shut down, and that'll be the last we'll ever see of The Division. A game that I routinely replay every year, and it became a bit of a Christmas tradition to me.

Thanks Ubisoft...
bd50b5ab-2b06-4b8c-b8c9-4d8ed3dbf484_text.gif
"Cozy to play around Xmas time". I NEVER feel this way about games but I really do think of playing the division when winter comes around and I never even play ths game anymore. I see you

I’m okay with that. The Tom Clancy IP held this game back, can’t wait to see what this studio does with Avatar, having a little more creative flexibility with the sci fi setting

Last edited:

GymWolf

They need to revamp the whole story setting because division was legit the first brand where i skipped cutscenes and dialogues after a while because they were atrociously uninteresting and bland.

Also the location for the second game was a huge misstep after snowy new york.

Drizzlehell

Banned
They need to revamp the whole story setting because division was legit the first brand where i skipped cutscenes and dialogues after a while because they were atrociously uninteresting and bland.

Also the location for the second game was a huge misstep after snowy new york.
Yeah, it was more interesting as a potential "what if" scenario but the story itself is hardly of any consequence to me. Like BennyBlanco BennyBlanco said, it's a game best played with a podcast or an audiobook in the background, lol.

shouldve been a city wide tactical 3rd person shooter, imagine 50 v 50 or more battle on the streets and in those buildings, even a BR wouldve been better than what it is.....waist of a stunning engine.

Ubisoft doesn't give an iota of a fuck for The Division franchise.

Its telling that most people prefer to return to Division 1 than continue playing Division 2.

Division 2 has a shit load of issues. Most notably being the PC crashes. I quit the game a month ago due to this ongoing issue that's been around since the game launched. PC users are unable to play any of the countdown modes or raids without crashing. Its fucking comical.
People gave Cyberpunk shit for the constant crashing yet here's a GAAS game that can't stay up long enough to finish a Countdown mission that lasts only 15 mins.

At times it took me multiple attempts to even get the game running on my PC. And that's with a 3080 and decent Intel CPU.

Then there's the lack of new maps, updates that fix 1 thing but breaks 2 more things. Then they roll out another update to fix those 2 things but it breaks something else. Rinse and fucking repeat for the past year.
The development team responsible for the game have long moved onto other projects within Ubisoft. They put 18 rookies off the street in charge of updating division 2 and it really shows in how they've mishandled this game.

All that and they still have the nerve to charge $ to play the pile of shit that still has constant crashing to desktop on PC.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Aren't they working on that new star wars online game? Hopefully its better than TD2.
Wait what?

If this is actually what's happening then hell yeah dude, I'm in. Don't even care for further Division content or sequels, just gimme a Star Wars game made by those guys.

I really want an 60 FPS patch for the first division for current gen. I liked the second game but not nearly as much as the first, I would go back to it regularly if they updated it.

Top Bottom