• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It looks like the carny trash at Activsion has rigged Call of Duty Mobile's carnival game

Really not a fan of government intervention, but this is getting to be too much. This would seem to be a literal scam.

Text explanation for those who don't want to watch the videos:

The "official" odds show there is a very high chance of getting a purple. A 42% chance to get a purple, to be specific. There are four purples, which would make it look like a 1 in 2 chance, if you land on a purple, that you'll get either the skin or the gun. The money goes up with each spin. The way it actually works is you don't get either the skin or the gun until your 9th or 10th spin, at which point you've spent 250 dollars.

The real issue is that it's literally a rigged game. The requirement that developers "tell people the odds" is being used to manipulate people into thinking they have a very good chance at getting what they want in one or two spins. In reality, this is even worse than before. At least before, people already assumed the odds were stacked against them. This is designed to make it appear like that's not the case.

I'm long past the point of being understanding about this. The government needs to get this garbage out of these games right now.

But they have to publish the odds of you getting things now, so everything is okay, right? Nope.

Last edited:

dottme

We can count on Activisation to find new way to get more money from their customer.

what they are doing is quite shitty but technically ok.

Shifty

A mobile game? Rigged?

tenor.gif

Three

Not sure I understand the first video. So there is zero chance of getting the skin? I don't think that is the case, it is probably just very very low. If the players get it on a certain number of spins isn't that because it doesn't seem to include already received items in the spin thus increasing the likelyhood of getting the skin on every spin and thus having a certain number of spins that you ultimately win the skin on?

Not sure I understand the first video. So there is zero chance of getting the skin? I don't think that is the case, it is probably just very very low. If the players get it on a certain number of spins isn't that because it doesn't seem to include already received items in the spin thus increasing the likelyhood of getting the skin on every spin and thus having a certain number of spins that you ultimately win the skin on?

Note: I've added the below explanation to the first post, for those who might not want to watch the videos.

The "official" odds show there is a very high chance of getting a purple. A 42% chance to get a purple, to be specific. There are four purples, which would make it look like a 1 in 2 chance, if you land on a purple, that you'll get either the skin or the gun. The money goes up with each spin. The way it actually works is you don't get either the skin or the gun until your 9th or 10th spin, at which point you've spent 250 dollars.

The real issue is that it's literally a rigged game. The requirement that developers "tell people the odds" is being used to manipulate people into thinking they have a very good chance at getting what they want in one or two spins. In reality, this is even worse than before. At least before, people already assumed the odds were stacked against them. This is designed to make it appear like that's not the case.

I'm long past the point of being understanding about this. The government needs to get this garbage out of these games right now.

Last edited:

Three

Note: I've added the below explanation to the first post, for those who might not want to watch the videos.

Ah that makes more sense if they are advertising wrong odds. The first video just claimed it was impossible and that you get it on a set number of spins. Out of curiosity where do they disclose these odds?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Was that 13 minute Angry Hack video necessary?

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, I don't think that's legal, even in the US.

Just... do a class action? Sue? No idea how it would work for you guys.

Three

Yeah, I don't think that's legal, even in the US.

Just... do a class action? Sue? No idea how it would work for you guys.
It would depend on their disclosed drop rate which is why I'm curious to see it. I'm sure it's been through legal with some scummy fineprint like all the other mobile games.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
that is literally how odds work. predictions do not have to align 1:1. a 50% chance at getting heads or tails from a coin could still result in you flipping hundreds of heads in a row by freak accident. it is how chance works. that is why they are predictions and not facts. there is no guarantee. predictions are just an approximation of what to expect. if the chance is not 100% then expect the possibility you could lose everything.

if you are gambling, you need to be aware of the chances. you need to make peace with that money before you gamble. if you are spending $100 for a chance at anything, there is the real possibility you will lose that money. if you can't handle losing the money, then you should not be gambling. if you lose and then tell yourself you just need to gamble more because now you have more of a chance to win, then you are a mark, and possibly a gambling addict.

Last edited:
that is literally how odds work. predictions do not have to align 1:1. a 50% chance at getting heads or tails from a coin could still result in you flipping hundreds of heads in a row by freak accident. it is how chance works. that is why they are predictions and not facts. there is no guarantee. predictions are just an approximation of what to expect. if the chance is not 100% then expect the possibility you could lose everything.

if you are gambling, you need to be aware of the chances. you need to make peace with that money before you gamble. if you are spending $100 for a chance at anything, there is the real possibility you will lose that money. if you can't handle losing the money, then you should not be gambling. if you lose and then tell yourself you just need to gamble more because now you have more of a chance to win, then you are a mark, and possibly a gambling addict.
This is why this shit flys. People saying stupid shit like this. Did you watch the video? It goes beyond the listed odds. Also you said it. It's gambling. That alone should prevent it from being allowed without regulation.

They literally include 2 shitty epics so they can fuck with the odds (as shown in the video). You're just wrong on this one man it's really fucking annoying. I do hope you're just trolling.

Not sure Angry Joe should be the one delivering this message getting his copy of a game from fucking nVidia, another scumbag company. That part made me laugh.

I'm aware of how odds work, and this isn't it. If "lucky number 7" represents the gun, and numbers 1 through 10 are eliminated from possibility after you land on them, and five people spin the big wheel, and two of them stop before spinning ten times, and three others do spin ten times, and all three only manage to "get lucky number 7" on their last spin, what are the odds of that happening?

It would seem the game is rigged.

You gotta be dumb as shit to think the drop rate is the same between all purples

It's not as if there would be any sort of financial risk involved (based on what it would cost them to add that content to the game in the first place) if Activision didn't rig the game, and publishing the odds plus the general idea of "the government is making sure everything's okay now" are a combination of factors that I could see misleading people.

I've never paid a dime of my own money for a random chance at in-game content, but that doesn't mean I can't be upset about this for other people.

trikster40

I’ve got a solution: let’s take all the people who actually spend money on mobile games, put them on an island without internet or cell service, and make our own cash-grab games. They’ll be forced to only play our games and we will all be rich.

My first game is called “Catch-a-Whale”. There’s 100% chance that they’ll get a rare item every time they spend $1,000.

Top Bottom