• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It is 2021 and I am seriously considering buying a Wii U.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I collect games but even I sold my Wii U recently because everything was on Switch.

I don’t really care about present or future values of games either. I just hated having this system hooked up, the pad charging, and an external HDD plugged in. Damn thing was on life support and frankly made nearly 100% obsolete by Nintendo.

For the games to listed, yes you are crazy.

But if you’re going to play some of the games that didn’t get good ports, like Pikmin and 3D world, and you’ll buy a lot of Wii games and don’t have a Wii, might be worth it. Dk tropical freeze and 101 are also best on Wii U.

Also you can mod the Wii U to play cube games.
This

It's a fantastic console, plagued by poor reception, has a way better lineup than switch imo, and also fantastic third party games

Get tekken tag tournament 2 and prepare to spend more than 100 hours on it

waquzy

I had it.
I thought it was painfully slow and an exercise in frustration.
1. Start Wii U
2. Go have breakfast
3. Come back, the interface is finally up
4. Spend the next 20 minutes clicking through interface
5. System needs to update
6. Start system update
7. Come back next day.
8. Restart Wii U
9. Have breakfast
10. Put in game
11. Go check your mailbox and sort through your mail, throw out junk mail, pay any bills that have come in.
12. Main screen has come up. Can finally start your game.
yeah the menu is pain in the ass.

Banned
the Wii U is an amazing homebrew machine. buying one now and not softmodding it is a waste!

GameCube Games playable on the GamePad, PS1, N64, 16bit, 8bit emulation etc.

Go for it! Especially since you plan on hacking it. Which will let you play all sorts of games asides from the already excellent Wii U library!

I'll always miss the Wii U during it's prime, when it's services such as Miiverse were up and active. Right now the Wii U feels "dead" because of the closing down of such services :[ It is what it is, but the games are still very much worth playing!

BoQzLqdCYAAtmkJ.jpg:large

Never forget 😭

Griffon

Dude, just emulate it with Cemu, you'll get much better image quality, better framerate, better controller of your choice. Better everything pretty much.

I have put my Wii U on storage and it wont be plugged-in ever again. Honestly the hardware is too crap to run the games decently enough.

Last edited:

Mistake

WiiU is the only nintendo console I’ve skipped. Zero appeal outside Xenoblade X and smash bros, but with Ultimate out and the chance of rereleases on switch, I have less of a reason to get one.

Considering you also gain access to all Wii games it might not be a horrible idea, but personally I'd rather slice of my left nut than play Wii U again. I'll just emulate.

Pantz

Gold Member
I bought one about 2 years back and could never bring myself to set it up. It still feels good to have it in my back pocket if I ever want to play a particular Wii game.

PolterGhast07

Neo Member
I say go for it. The thing's also backwards compatible with the original Wii, so all your old games will be playable on their. The virtual console is also pretty awesome, if you ever want to play some NES, SNES and N64 games. No GameCube sadly :(

Davey Cakes

I mean, the Wii U was always underrated. The system had some bangers.

In particular, when the Wii Shop Channel was available the Wii U was an amazing legacy system. The original Wii and Wii U titles plus the eShop, Wiiware, and both Virtual consoles made for a stacked library.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

What the fuck is up with all these posters shaming people for buying older consoles?
I thought this was a gaming forum.
It happened in this thread and a recent xbox 360 thread.

Its especially sad since current gen is pretty shit at the moment and it can be argued this past gen (PS4/XB1) was the worst in the medium's history.
Plenty of older stuff worth playing and discovering.

nush

Gold Member
Off screen play of Gameboy Advance games is the Super Gameboy Advance. Seriously there's some great exclusives on the Wii U virtual console, grab them before that store is closed down.

TLZ

Banned
What the fuck is up with all these posters shaming people for buying older consoles?

Its especially sad since current gen is pretty shit at the moment and it can be argued this past gen (PS4/XB1) was the worst in the medium's history.
Plenty of older stuff worth playing and discovering.
It's cool to go with the flow.

I set up my Wii U similarly to what is described in this thread. Two SD readers occupy the back 2 USB ports; one contains all my Wii U games ripped from disc, the other all my Wii and GameCube games. Add in RetroArch and it is really an amazing amount of content available on a single system.

Soodanim

I set up my Wii U similarly to what is described in this thread. Two SD readers occupy the back 2 USB ports; one contains all my Wii U games ripped from disc, the other all my Wii and GameCube games. Add in RetroArch and it is really an amazing amount of content available on a single system.
That’s a great idea, I might have to copy it. I have about 20 Wii U games, with similar counts for Wii and GC. Should be pretty easy to sort out, just a day or so of processing.

I’ve looked into backing up my games so I know it’s not tough, but I never got round to it.

(...)

Beats me. Apparently, some just really like to get high on that dopamin fix when CONSOOMing new product and want the rest to join in communion on the snort.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
A massive thank you to everyone who contributed, offering advice and stories from their own experiences with this console, I can happily announce that a sexy Wii U is on it's way to my crib and should be here Saturday! It comes with Pokken Tournament, Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 and am going to raid CEX for loads of gems from the library and will update upon their arrival!

A huge thanks to fart town usa fart town usa ArtemisClydeFrog ArtemisClydeFrog Spukc Spukc Meesh Meesh ProgenitorCastle ProgenitorCastle LordOfChaos LordOfChaos SoggyBiscuit SoggyBiscuit WalterSobchak WalterSobchak and cireza cireza for all the fantastic responses and help you've given me, I can't wait to finally experience what the Wii U is all about!

29u1MyV.png

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
A massive thank you to everyone who contributed, offering advice and stories from their own experiences with this console, I can happily announce that a sexy Wii U is on it's way to my crib and should be here Saturday! It comes with Pokken Tournament, Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 and am going to raid CEX for loads of gems from the library and will update upon their arrival!

A huge thanks to fart town usa fart town usa ArtemisClydeFrog ArtemisClydeFrog Spukc Spukc Meesh Meesh ProgenitorCastle ProgenitorCastle LordOfChaos LordOfChaos SoggyBiscuit SoggyBiscuit WalterSobchak WalterSobchak and cireza cireza for all the fantastic responses and help you've given me, I can't wait to finally experience what the Wii U is all about!

29u1MyV.png
Great choice, I am sure that you are going to enjoy the console !

SpiceRacz

There's also a solid lineup of indies on Wii U that are worth playing if you decide to mod that fucker: Axiom Verge, Mutant Mudds, Toki Tori 2+, the Steamworld series, etc.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Congrats OP.

Question for fellow Wii U owners. When the eshop shuts down, and I assume it will be in 2021 or 2022 max. Will you still be able to download game updates and DLC?

I have a stack of Wii U games, some unopened, as I basically bought everything I wanted physical to enjoy later. I also have some DLC like Breath of the Wild, Pikmin and Mario Kart.

How will it work with game updates and DLC?

cireza

Banned
Is it really that bad? I almost bought it a minute ago but maybe I'll lean away from that
I would avoid Starfox Zero. Game is not fun because the control layout is overly complicated. That's really a shame, because the game looks okay, is 60fps. Then again, if you got it for 15$, might as well give it a shot.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I have not played that actually! Will have to pick it up mate!
You wont be disappointed, it’s been a while since I played it, but it’s a very fluid game for the GBA. The pacing was excellent. There was also one dungeon that looked incredible, the view and concept was perfectly realized for being on a GBA game IMO

I’m also a huge fan of the main villain’s final designs or form. The villain in general is great but a lot of people tend to disagree with this. Still though, Vaati for SSBU!!!!!

RPS37

zdguyr8.jpg

i just went to some local CEX shops and got stuff i knew no more then a tenner each many for 5

don't get star fox zero

try to get

color splash
3 zelda games
kirby rainbow
game wario
terraria
xenoblade x
tokyo mirage
super mario maker
yoshi wooly
cod black ops 2 (crazy weird coop/mp mode)
How insane is it that I have nearly no inclination to play any of those?

I own a switch, PS4, Xbox

Flabagast

If you've got a half-decent PC just go to CEMU. You can play all WiiU games legally by buying them on Nintendo official store and the emulator runs like a charm.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I believe the Wii U is a sorely underrated console that is made fun of too often. It's typically the target of hate simply because it didn't sell well, but I absolutely adore the system. That argument doesn't even make sense, the Game Cube used to be one of Nintendo's worst selling consoles but everybody loves the darn thing.

I also hear people claim they regret buying a Wii U, but I got mine in 2012 and I was incredibly happy that I did, it had an incredible library of games. Those claiming that there are "no games" on the Wii U are severely wrong. I could go on and on about stellar titles like Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and many others. Even underrated games like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Paper Mario: Color Splash, Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U and Game & Wario were all incredibly fun games.

I actually wish that the gamepad functionality was utilized more often because the games that did use it were extremely clever and innovative; it saddens me we never got to see more. When I do finally get around to purchasing a Switch I'll very honestly miss the dual screen features of the Wii U, Miiverse, stylus controls, and Wii Remote compatibility. I hope that in the future the Wii U is seen as the Dreamcast of Nintendo, a great console with a library of excellent games that was never truly appreciated in its time.

And Xenoblade Chronicles X is one of the best, most intense open world games, ever.

Last edited:

Intoxicate

I collect games but even I sold my Wii U recently because everything was on Switch.

I don’t really care about present or future values of games either. I just hated having this system hooked up, the pad charging, and an external HDD plugged in. Damn thing was on life support and frankly made nearly 100% obsolete by Nintendo.

I believe the Wii U is a sorely underrated console that is made fun of too often. It's typically the target of hate simply because it didn't sell well, but I absolutely adore the system. That argument doesn't even make sense, the Game Cube used to be one of Nintendo's worst selling consoles but everybody loves the darn thing.

I also hear people claim they regret buying a Wii U, but I got mine in 2012 and I was incredibly happy that I did, it had an incredible library of games. Those claiming that there are "no games" on the Wii U are severely wrong. I could go on and on about stellar titles like Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and many others. Even underrated games like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Paper Mario: Color Splash, Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U and Game & Wario were all incredibly fun games.

I actually wish that the gamepad functionality was utilized more often because the games that did use it were extremely clever and innovative; it saddens me we never got to see more. When I do finally get around to purchasing a Switch I'll very honestly miss the dual screen features of the Wii U, Miiverse, stylus controls, and Wii Remote compatibility. I hope that in the future the Wii U is seen as the Dreamcast of Nintendo, a great console with a library of excellent games that was never truly appreciated in its time.

And Xenoblade Chronicles X is one of the best, most intense open world games, ever.

I think you two summarize what I feel about the Wii U.
Went back buying one in 2020 and sold it again. All the great things were hampered by compromised. The Switch is the better starting point and I hope they also include some of the great things about the Wii (U) further. The remakes and updates of Wii U / Wii games all play better than on the Switch.

cireza

Banned
The remakes and updates of Wii U / Wii games all play better than on the Switch.
They play marginally better, sometimes not at all, and cost 3 times the price of the Wii U game. Tokyo Mirage is much better with the GamePad.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned

I always looked at Xenoblade Chronicles X, is it really as good as you say? and I agree it seems the Wii U is judged harshly, especially when you consider how weak the Switch library would look without it's Wii U ports.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I always looked at Xenoblade Chronicles X, is it really as good as you say? and I agree it seems the Wii U is judged harshly, especially when you consider how weak the Switch library would look without it's Wii U ports.
I love X.

It’s an absolutely fantastic game with some of the best and most memorable side quests I have ever played in a game. Exploring the world is an absolute joy and never once got boring as there are so many hidden areas, meaning that you never feel like you’ve found everything and even when you think you have, you’ll suddenly come across something, only causing you to explore even more. The world makes you feel tiny and weak, which is great because that’s kind of the point. You’re stuck on a different planet - that sense of scale is supposed to make you be cautious of how you explore the world because death could be around any corner, which makes you consider how you want to explore even more.

I spent 180 hours on this game and completed all the side quests, all the heart to hearts, and all of the map. I basically 100%'d the game minus beating some tyrants and finding stuff like armor. Yes I have some issues such as Skell combat being a bit too bare bones for my tastes (especially since some late game enemies have to be battled in Skells), and there’s some weird design choices (such as level 11’s always initiating combat if you pass them, even if you’re level 60)

But what frustrates me the most is that there isn’t more. I want to see the connotations of the ending and how it affects other parts of the world such as some of the events in the side quests. I want it to go even further into it’s philosophical and moral arguments. I want to understand what’s so special about Mira. Sure there are some theories floating out there, but I want that official sense of closure.

Is it really that bad? I almost bought it a minute ago but maybe I'll lean away from that
I found the control scheme to be utterly nonsensical. On top of that it's just boring.

Even if the game had a normal control scheme it's pretty flat and a dull experience. Feels more like Nintendo/Platinum throwing shit at the walls and seeing what sticks.

Nerrel had a good video on YouTube recently that I think somebody posted here as a thread.

If it's dirt cheap, and I'm talking a fiver or less, maybe take a punt on it, but adjust expectations accordingly.

gela94

It's only worth it if you're going to hack it.

If you do that, it's absolutely incredible. I have my whole Gamecube, Wii and Wii U libraries on there.

And frankly, Wii U performance is barely noticeably different from Switch docked. It's still an HD machine.

So go for it. But get the sexy white one, the black one looks like shit. You'll need external storage either way.
Mhm that sounds interesting, I was thinking about selling my WiiU, do you have any good link that shows how to hack? And are the wiimotes working with the wiiu? Sorry I'm clueless.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Mhm that sounds interesting, I was thinking about selling my WiiU, do you have any good link that shows how to hack? And are the wiimotes working with the wiiu? Sorry I'm clueless.

Hacking and modding is of course allowed discussion on NeoGaf but can get into some grey areas. Check GBATemp forums. Plenty of guides there.

Top Bottom