• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It is 2021 and I am seriously considering buying a Wii U.

DonJorginho

Banned
I BOUGHT ONE!

A massive thank you to everyone who contributed, offering advice and stories from their own experiences with this console, I can happily announce that a sexy Wii U is on it's way to my crib and should be here Saturday! It comes with Pokken Tournament, Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 and am going to raid CEX for loads of gems from the library and will update upon their arrival!

A huge thanks to @fart town usa ArtemisClydeFrog ArtemisClydeFrog Spukc Spukc @Meesh @ProgenitorCastle @LordOfChaos SoggyBiscuit SoggyBiscuit @WalterSobchak and cireza cireza for all the fantastic responses and help you've given me, I can't wait to finally experience what the Wii U is all about!

K86y5LL.png

ORIGINAL POST

Call me a mad-man, I'm half convinced I am becoming one with each word I type. I sold my Switch last year in anticipation of a Switch Pro, which hasn't come yet and has made my decision look foolish. However I feel it would be even more foolish to go and buy another Switch now that the Pro seems right around the corner. So I need Nintendo in my life, and that is when I realised. I never owned a Wii U.

H2x1_generic_WiiU_image1280w.jpg

I am seriously pondering buying one of these bad boys second hand to be able to experience the likes of Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Super Smash for Wii U, Star Fox Zero and Breath Of The Wild: Slideshow Edition. Plus there are tons of great games on the Wii that I miss playing that I would want to replay. I know it would be better and cheaper to emulate but part of me loves having that piece of tat in my hands and actually using the hardware. Plus I can jailbreak a Wii U probably and use it for retro emulation.

I never played on a Wii U outside of a demo in a GAME store (the good old days aye?), so this will be completely fresh to me, I am interested to see what the Gamepad can do, as well as seeing whether this system was underrated, or really a piece of shit.

So am I a madman for wanting to pick one up? Should I pick one up? And what are your thoughts/tips/experiences with the glorious Wii U?

Last edited:
For the games to listed, yes you are crazy.

But if you’re going to play some of the games that didn’t get good ports, like Pikmin and 3D world, and you’ll buy a lot of Wii games and don’t have a Wii, might be worth it. Dk tropical freeze and 101 are also best on Wii U.

Also you can mod the Wii U to play cube games.

Last edited:

Enzo88

I only get it if used as a retrogames machine, which i do. In that case It's pretty neat, otherwise exclusives are progressively getting ported on switch.

Portugeezer

You're a madman. But it will be a collectors item for sure, so if you're interested in that go for it.

Those games will probably be on Switch at some point.

DonJorginho

Banned
For the games to listed, yes you are crazy.

But if you’re going to play some of the games that didn’t get good ports, like Pikmin and 3D world, and you’ll buy a lot of Wii games and don’t have a Wii, might be worth it.
Oh these aren't the only few, Pikmin and 3D World are also on my list to pick up!

And I am a madman for even contemplating buying one of these, but it might be worth it, they're only like £100 these days.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's a cumbersome son of a bitch. I think the power brick alone takes up more room than a docked switch. The controller will also feel like a Fisher Price toy after you've already tried a Switch because it was essentially a prototype.

If you're gonna get a Wii bar + remote too, yeah, probably worth it. Otherwise, for those games? No. BOTW and a superior Smash are already on Switch, TP is coming, WW just buy a damn Gamecube.

Oh these aren't the only few, Pikmin and 3D World are also on my list to pick up!

And I am a madman for even contemplating buying one of these, but it might be worth it, they're only like £100 these days.
I’d say you’re only crazy if you’re going to buy a sealed one lol. Even though I did a few years ago, but I’m sure the price has skyrocketed

DonJorginho

Banned
It's a cumbersome son of a bitch. I think the power brick alone takes up more room than a docked switch. The controller will also feel like a Fisher Price toy after you've already tried a Switch because it was essentially a prototype.

If you're gonna get a Wii bar + remote too, yeah, probably worth it. Otherwise, for those games? No. BOTW and a superior Smash are already on Switch, TP is coming, WW just buy a damn Gamecube.
Yeah I would get a Wii Bar + Remote then Jailbreak the Wii U and go to town on it really, use it as a nostalgia machine, it is still nuts but maybe we all need to go nuts every now and then?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah I would get a Wii Bar + Remote then Jailbreak the Wii U and go to town on it really, use it as a nostalgia machine, it is still nuts but maybe we all need to go nuts every now and then?

If you're doing that, go for it. Tons and tons of Wii stuff to play. Just as long as you have the room under/behind your TV cabinet, the thing has so many fucking wires.

Termite

It's only worth it if you're going to hack it.

If you do that, it's absolutely incredible. I have my whole Gamecube, Wii and Wii U libraries on there.

And frankly, Wii U performance is barely noticeably different from Switch docked. It's still an HD machine.

So go for it. But get the sexy white one, the black one looks like shit. You'll need external storage either way.

DonJorginho

Banned
Make sure that tablet works if you're going used. Supposedly, you can't even buy spare ones as Nintendo didn't sell them.
Thanks for the advice, will definitely go for a trusted seller if I go used.
Put Super Mario 3D World at the top of your list.
Thank you Mr Bickle , I will do that (check the post now)
Plenty of great games. I really enjoyed the Wii U.
In some way the Switch’s library wouldnt of been so good if it wasnt for the Wii U as its piggybacked off its library
I totally agree, loads of great Wii U games, is quite an underrated library when you look at it.

You're a madman. But it will be a collectors item for sure, so if you're interested in that go for it.

Those games will probably be on Switch at some point.
That I am, and those games will all be on Switch I'm sure but I bet the Wii U has amazing Jailbreaking possibilities to explore which can make it a worthwhile purchase.

I only get it if used as a retrogames machine, which i do. In that case It's pretty neat, otherwise exclusives are progressively getting ported on switch.
Oh 100% was thinking about jailbreaking this puppy and doing some RetroArch stuff to it.

All of the best games are already o switch. Star Fox 0 sucks biggly. Smash Bros WiiU is obsolete.
What if I like to waste money?
It's a fantastic little system
Fantastic enough to pick up in 2021? Either way I will buy one most likely.
It's only worth it if you're going to hack it.

If you do that, it's absolutely incredible. I have my whole Gamecube, Wii and Wii U libraries on there.

And frankly, Wii U performance is barely noticeably different from Switch docked. It's still an HD machine.

So go for it. But get the sexy white one, the black one looks like shit. You'll need external storage either way.
Oh definitely looking to hack it, fuck spending £50 on Twilight Princess HD lmao, and yeah the White definitely looks nicer, I have external HDDs coming out my ears anyway so can use one of my many spares! Is it as easy as the OG Wii to homebrew?

Last edited:
Plenty of great games. I really enjoyed the Wii U.
In some way the Switch’s library wouldnt of been so good if it wasnt for the Wii U as its piggybacked off its library

Yup. I have mainly been playing my 3ds backlog because the switch, while being the most incredible console I've ever owned, just doesn't have a compelling library for me. I have played most of its games on the wii u that people are interested in, and I desperately would like something new.

Yes Don, you'd be an absolute madlad. However, there are some outstanding titles and experiences that you can't have anywhere else. Nintendoland and Zombi U spring to mind as both packages take advantage of the hardware in unique ways.

Given a handful of the titles you listed are available for Switch, it may better serve you for retro emulation than any other titles.

Plus it's a slow-ass console. Painfully so.

TheMan

apparently emulation is quite good if you have the PC for it, so maybe do that?

Are we allowed to say things like that nowadays

I say don't unless you can find for real cheap. Even so make sure it works before giving anyone your cash.

Most of the wii-u games are on switch and run better or have extra features. Games ported from wii-u/wii to switch
Mario 3d world
Mario Maker 2 (well not ported but it makes the wii-u's mm1 obsolete)
Hyrule warriors (has all the wii-u and 3ds content)
Fire-emblem warriors
Xenoblade Chronicles
Mario Kart/ Smash bros
Pikman.
Zelda BOTW
Skyward Sword (coming soon).
Probably more that I forgot.

IF you do get one, pickup ZombiU that game is fun, have only played it on PS4 though. Also I hear Xenoblade chronicles X is good (only played XB2 and some of XB1)

I think the switch is the greatest Nintendo console since SNES, and rivals the legendary NES for my enjoyment and 3rd party support.
I own many 1st party games, mario, zelda, fire emblem, but tons of 3rd party games and Ports of games from PS360 era or early ps4 games. Plus tons of indies.
You won't find the variety of selection on wii-u.

If you are getting for wii games and are getting a wii-mote and motion stick than i could see it being fun for a bit. Especially if you pick up some of those wii games that never left the system.
If just getting for traditional games than switch is the better system and you can always trade in the switch for a switch pro.

Oh and switch pro hasn't even been announced legit yet, why did you sell a system before a replacement came out?

IF/when the switch pro comes out, I will be keeping my OG-v2 switch as a backup. Own too many great games and am concerned for the day when Nintendo makes a new gimmick system and the switch and its games don't transfer.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
This is best Nintendo console, and I think the best HD system you can get excluding Xbox One X / Xbox Series X.

On Wii U, you get access to :
- all Wii U games (quite a lot of great games)
- all Wii games (plays them natively)
- all Gamecube games (softmod + Nintendon't, plays them natively, can play on GamePad)
- all retro consoles 8 bits, 16 bits and GBA, with integer scaling for a fantastic picture on your TV (softmod + Retroarch). Gamepad is fantastic for all handheld games.
- ability to play games on the GamePad, which is extremely comfortable and has the perfect resolution (480 lines) for all these older consoles

Basically, Wii U replaces all Nintendo consoles before it, except for the 3DS (which can play 3DS and DS games). And it also does MegaDrive, Mega-CD, PC-Encine, Neo Geo, CPS-2 etc... with the best display possible as you get Integer Scaling through retroarch, and even a convenient way to play portable with the Gamepad. Unbeatable value for your money.

Switch, with its shitty ergonomics and drifting sticks, does not come close to this in any way.

And for recent games, I have a Series X (had an Xbox One then X before) because again, these consoles are of great value as they play a ton of games, including Xbox OG and 360 and highly enhance the experience.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

I bought a used one 2 months ago too.

Only regret I have is, that I should have paid maybe 10€+ extra for a Wii U in black with all the extras etc.
It's a nice little system and very easy to hack.

Durask

I had it.
I thought it was painfully slow and an exercise in frustration.
1. Start Wii U
2. Go have breakfast
3. Come back, the interface is finally up
4. Spend the next 20 minutes clicking through interface
5. System needs to update
6. Start system update
7. Come back next day.
8. Restart Wii U
9. Have breakfast
10. Put in game
11. Go check your mailbox and sort through your mail, throw out junk mail, pay any bills that have come in.
12. Main screen has come up. Can finally start your game.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Yes Don, you'd be an absolute madlad. However, there are some outstanding titles and experiences that you can't have anywhere else. Nintendoland and Zombi U spring to mind as both packages take advantage of the hardware in unique ways.

Given a handful of the titles you listed are available for Switch, it may better serve you for retro emulation than any other titles.

Plus it's a slow-ass console. Painfully so.
Slow ass console? that sounds like nostalgia to me, PS5 and XSX have made me too accustomed to not being able to have a sip of vodka or itch my bollocks between loading screens, bring me 2 min long load screens!

I will homebrew it too so I will get all the emulation means out of it!

This is best Nintendo console, and I think the best HD system you can get excluding Xbox One X / Xbox Series X.

On Wii U, you get access to :
- all Wii U games (quite a lot of great games)
- all Wii games (plays them natively)
- all Gamecube games (softmod + Nintendon't, plays them natively, can play on GamePad)
- all retro consoles 8 bits, 16 bits and GBA, with integer scaling for a fantastic picture on your TV (softmod + Retroarch). Gamepad is fantastic for all handheld games.
- ability to play games on the GamePad, which is extremely comfortable and has the perfect resolution (480 lines) for all these older consoles

Basically, Wii U replaces all Nintendo consoles before it, except for the 3DS (which can play 3DS and DS games). And it also does MegaDrive, Mega-CD, PC-Encine, Neo Geo, CPS-2 etc... with the best display possible as you get Integer Scaling through retroarch, and even a convenient way to play portable with the Gamepad. Unbeatable value for your money.

Switch, with its shitty ergonomics and drifting sticks, does not come close to this in any way.

And for recent games, I have a Series X (had an Xbox One then X before) because again, these consoles are of great value as they play a ton of games, including Xbox OG and 360 and highly enhance the experience.

Thanks for this, it seems like a good decision to pick one up alongside my SX and PS5 then!

DonJorginho

Banned
I had it.
I thought it was painfully slow and an exercise in frustration.
1. Start Wii U
2. Go have breakfast
3. Come back, the interface is finally up
4. Spend the next 20 minutes clicking through interface
5. System needs to update
6. Start system update
7. Come back next day.
8. Restart Wii U
9. Have breakfast
10. Put in game
11. Go check your mail
12. Main screen has come up. Can finally start your game.
Sounds perfect compared to the high speed PS5 and XSX that don't let me even itch my balls between games.

DonJorginho

Banned
I bought a used one 2 months ago too.

Only regret I have is, that I should have paid maybe 10€+ extra for a Wii U in black with all the extras etc.
It's a nice little system and very easy to hack.
As easy to hack as the Wii? Am planning on using this as a piracy/emulation hub

Best thing about Wii U was Miiverse, used to love trawling through the absolute garbage fire arguments and flirtations of what must be 5 or 6 year olds trying to act like adults.

Then they shut it down. Thanks a lot pedos.

cireza

Banned
Sounds perfect compared to the high speed PS5 and XSX that don't let me even itch my balls between games.
The console is not so slow lol. People these days...

Certainly that my Xbox Series X or One X turns on quicker... because the console is actually never really turned off (and it uses a lot of energy while doing pretty much nothing, and this is unacceptable honestly).
You have to explicitly go into the options and validate in 4 different screens you want to turn it off completely. And booting an Xbox One that was turned off takes much more time than booting a Wii U.

A Wii U does not consume much power at all, it is small, silent and it simply works.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
The console is not so slow lol. People these days...

Certainly that my Xbox Series X or One X turns on quicker... because the console is actually never really turned off (and it uses a lot of energy while doing pretty much nothing, and this is unacceptable honestly).
You have to explicitly go into the options and validate in 4 different screens you want to turn it off completely. And booting an Xbox One that was turned off takes much more time than booting a Wii U.

A Wii U does not consume much power at all, it is small, silent and it simply works.
With each post you send I get closer to clicking Purchase Now on this Wii U listing, it does seem like a gem of a console!

RaZoR No1

As easy to hack as the Wii? Am planning on using this as a piracy/emulation hub
It is still pretty easy IMO for Wii U, just search for Haxchi (needs to be applied after every reboot or you decided to do a coldboot method which is save too, but there is a small risk of bricking the device, if data/modded game for the hack gets deleted)
Only thing which I havemt explored further is the VWii and VC, because there are multiple methods with each of them have their advantage/disadvantages.

But I can play my Wii U games from an external HDD with a wired X360 controller (needs a x360 to PS3 converter 😅)

cireza

Banned
With each post you send I get closer to clicking Purchase Now on this Wii U listing, it does seem like a gem of a console!
Also forgot that you can get 80% of Nintendo games on Switch for a fraction of the price, most of the time around 15$ the game (Smash Bros, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart etc...)

DonJorginho

Banned
Also forgot that you can get 80% of Nintendo games on Switch for a fraction of the price, most of the time around 15$ the game (Smash Bros, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart etc...)
I did see that, insane the price difference between the two platforms! Might just homebrew them too to get 100% off

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What games you recommend picking up first?

zdguyr8.jpg

i just went to some local CEX shops and got stuff i knew no more then a tenner each many for 5

don't get star fox zero

try to get

color splash
3 zelda games
kirby rainbow
game wario
terraria
xenoblade x
tokyo mirage
super mario maker
yoshi wooly
cod black ops 2 (crazy weird coop/mp mode)

Last edited:
I have two game systems hooked up to my TV. My new Series X, and my WiiU. With the WiiU I can play the handful of good games it got (I bought one in the first place for Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade X), all my Wii games, and after hacking it, all my Gamecube games. Not to mention the pretty good anount of old SNES games I have on it from the virtual console. HD Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are great too.

If you use it as a one stop shop for Nintendo Retro gaming it's a good investment, a better one than the Switch I would say honestly.

cireza

Banned
zdguyr8.jpg

i just went to some local CEX shops and got stuff i knew no more then a tenner each many for 5

don't get star fox zero

try to get

color splash
3 zelda games
kirby rainbow
game wario
terraria
xenoblade x
tokyo mirage
super mario maker
yoshi wooly
cod black ops 2 (crazy weird coop/mp mode)
I would add :

Both Bayonetta games, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Need for Speed, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Racing Transformed, Captain Toad, Fast Racing Neo, Zombi U, Hyrule Warriors, Ninja Gaiden Razor Edge, Shovel Knight, Project Zero (is this only PAL ?)

Top Bottom