• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is your pc more powerful than ps5/xbsx?

Is your pc more powerful than ps5 or an xbox series x?

• Yes

Votes: 229 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 195 41.9%
  • About the same

Votes: 41 8.8%

• Total voters

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yes. Better SSD too.

But I think OP and a lot of PCMR guys get wrapped up in just the performance aspect. PC is great due to freedom.

It's a dead heat right now:

G6HEcUB.png

Although I'm sure a lot of the "No" votes are from SonyGAF people who don't even own a gaming PC...
And thats why you make polls public to see!

Considering it’s an 1600af with no gpu at the moment… no lol

Need at least an 5600x and 3070 to beat ps5 usually but when those drivers age and 8 cores are common on games probably not. Probably need a 5800x and one gpu upgrade to always stay above ps5 in rasterization.

Ryzen 5950, Rtx 3090, 32gb of ram

wife’s computer has a 9900k, Rtx 2080 super, 32gb of ram.

I also own a series x and a ps5 in my man cave, one in the living room, and a switch lol

Neilg

I got a 5950x, 128gb RAM and a dual 3090 in my work machine. I guess that's cheating though, I'm doing a lot of work in UE5 right now but haven't ran any games on it. I try to keep work machines for work only.

I have a 'personal' machine which is a i7 7700, 1070 and 64gb ram, but haven't touched pc games since sitting at the same desk/chair through the night is bleak.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I own a 3080 / 6800k @ 4.0ghz PC, a PS5, and an Xbox Series X. PC is more powerful, despite the CPU letting it down. I'm waiting for Alden Lake to upgrade (if I can get the parts), but honestly, this is the first generation in years where I don't feel an insane, hysterical need to drop thousands of dollars on PC parts. All are hooked up to a 65" LG C9 OLED.

That said, as soon as Alden Lake hits, I'll probably do it. I pretend that I won't, but I will. And the cycle will begin again.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Rocking a 5900x and a 6700XT right now with a gen 4 NVME 1TB drive and 32 gb of ram at 3200 speed, CL 16.

Likely going to 4,000 MHZ soon on the ram.

As for "is it more powerful than a PS5 & series X" and, of course, addressing the massive elephant in the room that most "steam" users still play at 1080p.

Overall: Yes, this is more powerful than a PS5 and Series X. Even though they both have more VRAM and will arguably output more TFlops, that doesn't tell the entire story as the bus bandwidth is better and, more importantly, my card can be overclocked to a 2998mhz, which is what it runs at now, giving faster overall speeds despite 4gb less "ram". Not only that, but the 16gb of vram is a misleading direct comparison as some of that VRAM is used for other tasks that PC's siphon off to DRAM and the CPU.

CPU wise, it's not close, 12 cores, 24 threads, with an all core OC of 5ghz, with half of my cores able to turbo to 5.2ghz. It's just not a fair comparison, plus a custom water loop cools the CPU. Liquid metal and a bad heat sink on PS5 combined with it being an APU ain't going to touch that. There is something to be said of course for those "new gen consoles" using better "ram" overall, but in the end the systems aren't really... close to what I have.

As for the 1080p remark - while in general I feel like most PC gamers probably have less specs and something more modest that leads to 1080p, it's also true that in the PC world, gaming at "4K" isn't exactly considered ideal no matter the build, unless you have a 3090 or a 6900XT. Even then, you should be focused on getting a 200+mhz panel that's going to support a much higher frame rate than most 4k monitors anyways and settle for 1440p. I know people with 3080's and rocking 11900k or a 5950x,that still use 1080p because they have 300+ mhz monitor options that provide a much better gaming experience than even a 4k 120hz panel.

4k is being incorrectly pushed by these "next-gen" home consoles when, to be completely honest, they are not 4k consoles. They will be using tricks this entire generation to get there and shouldn't do pretty much anything but indie titles at native 4k. Which is fine, btw. Especially as AMD's version of DLSS matures.

4K is just not a great experience for gaming unless you can get like... 144 fps+.

I say this of course, as I spend a lot of time playing 30FPS on a Nintendo Switch. But that doesn't change the fact all those games would be better at 60. And I know, most consider 60 to be great. That's cool! But also... once you play a lot of games at 120+, 200+... i mean, 60 doesn't look too great then.

In the end, all the gaming options out there are fine.
2998 mhz? Holy hell. That's above anything I've seen.

I'd look more into that RAM. I swear I saw a video on RAM speeds that showed no advantage to going above 3200mhz.
A PC with same specs as a PS4? No they're not.
Show me a PC from 2013 that has the same specs as a PS4 running late gen stuff.
If we consider the RAM alone it couldn't be done.

If it was possible, everyone would be still rocking their 2013 PCs until last year.
PC and console gamers generally have different performance metrics. Whats acceptable on console isn't acceptable on PC. Generally FPS > graphics. Under 60 is unacceptable. On console, 60 and under is the norm (at low/medium settings too).
PS5/Xbox Series X are more powerful than 95% of gaming PC out there. That is a fact.

85% people run 6 core or less (with many still running old 8 core fx 8350 which is much worse than Ryzen)

6% people have GPU faster than RTX 2070

Not many people have SSD higher than 5gb/sec

Compared to how PS4 was shit when it was released(even low-mid range pc could beat it) , this time its a totally different story.

Core count really means nothing for gaming. 6 core 5600x smokes previous gen 8 core. Not that it even matters for gaming unless you run 1080p 240hz+.
PC is really awful, how could it ever compare?

Windows, restarts, updates, 2 Ram pools, pop-ups, too many launchers and lets face it most PC gamers just have Steam launcher open and are chatting in Discord.

You know that is the savage truth.

Pentium 3 for life! Windows 95 was the best one.
You have no idea what you're even talking about.

And we all know XP is GOAT. (After SP1).
Yeah i know it has less 2 core, i was about to buy 8 core but my expert friends told me that it doesnt really have important impact on gaming since the high end CPU are used more for streaming, editing and workstations. So i figure i save some money from CPU to buy better GPU and Motherboard and Power Supply.
Based on what i saw in Wikipedia the CPU for sony seems to have 2 more cores but processing at lower speed, it says 3.5ghz? while this i5 had 4.1ghz? could be that. Good thing i can always upgrade when i want, few years i can upgrade CPU if there is a need. I think my current CPU is pretty good actually, the PC is very fast and i dont have issues at all.
CPU really doesn't matter if you're at 1440p or above.

OrionNebula

That never stops them bleating about consoles or going on about that master race bollocks.
Yup. It’s just like if I’d act so high and mighty, and look down on people because some other dude I don’t know owns a Ferrari and all the rest of us have a basic Porsche

Go team Ferrari that I don’t have!

Bryank75

Banned
2998 mhz? Holy hell. That's above anything I've seen.

I'd look more into that RAM. I swear I saw a video on RAM speeds that showed no advantage to going above 3200mhz.

PC and console gamers generally have different performance metrics. Whats acceptable on console isn't acceptable on PC. Generally FPS > graphics. Under 60 is unacceptable. On console, 60 and under is the norm (at low/medium settings too).

Core count really means nothing for gaming. 6 core 5600x smokes previous gen 8 core. Not that it even matters for gaming unless you run 1080p 240hz+.

You have no idea what you're even talking about.

And we all know XP is GOAT. (After SP1).

CPU really doesn't matter if you're at 1440p or above.

If I didn't know anything about it...would I post THIS?!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The question did not specify "gaming PC" so they answered correctly then, didn't they?
I'm still trying to understand what "SonyGAF ppl who dont even own a gaming PC" even means for this poll.....

Is the assumption XboxGAF all have gaming PC's?

?

Console wars have really messed some ppl up, god damn.

It hurts you...doesn't it? I bet most Xbox fanatics do not own a pc (gaming pc).

I wish I could find posts where some Xbox fans were falling over themselves when .....virtual ram/memory....was mentioned in a Series X stream.....

Ya know, like that was some new magical thing.

Last edited:

Avalia

Neo Member
Somewhat close I guess? Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB 3200 RAM...

Tho I prefer gaming on my PS5, Gaming PC is collecting dust atm. There is something magical at being able to rotate my TV and sit wherever I want with no cables and shit

Md Ray

It's a dual-core i3-330M, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB GDDR3, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM system, recently upgraded it to a cheap 240GB Maxtor SATA SSD. :pie_ssmiling:

Don't judge me it gets the job done for web browsing and for YT vids.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Nope. Not even close to a PS5. Got an i7 4790k, 1070, 32gb ram and a 2tb ssd. I can play Command & Conquer Remastered though I know which I'd rather have!

Last edited:

Danknugz

Ah yes, I can humble brag about my 3090 here. Shame it’s currently paired with a 6700k but hopefully new intel and ddr5 on the horizon.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PC? Are they still around?
Thought they died out in the 2000's :messenger_smirking:

*runs*

Danknugz

I guess we can gloat a little here?

Gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra
5900x
64gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600mhz@18-18-18-36-54
Gigabyte Vision 3090
500gb 980 Pro PCIe boot drive NVME
2tb 970 Pro Gen 3 NVME
2x2tb 970 Evo SSD's in RAID 0
8tb HDD
1000w EVGA Supernova Platinum PSU
65" LG CX 120hz

Bonus gloat is my Denon HDMI 2.1 receiver with 5 Infiniti speakers and 2 SVS subs 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Not sure how many PS5/XBX that is in power.
Dig the ssd in raid0, well done.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm still trying to understand what "SonyGAF ppl who dont even own a gaming PC" even means for this poll.....

Is the assumption XboxGAF all have gaming PC's?

?

Console wars have really messed some ppl up, god damn.

I don't get it. This notion of "SonyGAF" is that GAF is a bunch of Sony fanboys. His premise is that "SonyGAF" are going to vote "no" and yet the "yes" votes are winning. So GAF isn't just a bunch of Sony fanboys or "SonyGAF" are PC owners as well?

Ugh.....trying to understand warrior bullshit....

d&d pain GIF by Hyper RPG

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
PS5/Xbox Series X are more powerful than 95% of gaming PC out there. That is a fact.

85% people run 6 core or less (with many still running old 8 core fx 8350 which is much worse than Ryzen)

6% people have GPU faster than RTX 2070

Not many people have SSD higher than 5gb/sec

Compared to how PS4 was shit when it was released(even low-mid range pc could beat it) , this time its a totally different story.

And then you realise that 6% of over 100 million users is actually a massive number.

You're also implying that every computer that has steam installed is a 'gaming PC'

sedg87

Banned
i7-6700k, 16gb of ram and a GTX 1070. Nowhere near a PS5. Isn't that around PS4 level? I certainly need a complete new PC.

Top Bottom