• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is your pc more powerful than ps5/xbsx?

Is your pc more powerful than ps5 or an xbox series x?

• Yes

Votes: 229 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 195 41.9%
  • About the same

Votes: 41 8.8%

• Total voters

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Not quite sure but it's in the ballpark. I don't have a 4K monitor though so I probably have a little more overhead in practice.

I still want a PS5 because Sony exclusives, but I am pretty comfortable giving a pass to the XSX because my PC has it handled and the same games are always day one.

Aroll

2998 mhz? Holy hell. That's above anything I've seen.

I'd look more into that RAM. I swear I saw a video on RAM speeds that showed no advantage to going above 3200mhz.

PC and console gamers generally have different performance metrics. Whats acceptable on console isn't acceptable on PC. Generally FPS > graphics. Under 60 is unacceptable. On console, 60 and under is the norm (at low/medium settings too).

Core count really means nothing for gaming. 6 core 5600x smokes previous gen 8 core. Not that it even matters for gaming unless you run 1080p 240hz+.

You have no idea what you're even talking about.

And we all know XP is GOAT. (After SP1).

CPU really doesn't matter if you're at 1440p or above.

Yeah, the MHZ on my GPU is pretty insane. A 500+ oc is tough to do on any GPU, let alone a 6700xt and let alone without a custom water block, which I might add to it down the line. I literally don't know what happened. I bought a prebuilt since GPU's were hard to get, and then threw on a custom water loop for the CPU (I didn't hav ea distro plate for this particular GPU version) and yet, how can I complain? I got a golden sample CPU and on top of that, the GPU, while it has zero lighting, on a twin fan design is getting boost clocks so close to 3ghz and holding it stable. I have never been able to OC a GPU that much before, even on water. Maybe if I was hyper extreme LN2 cooling, but that's not a sustainable load doing that. Let's just say, while you pay more for prebuilt over MSRP, you can't build for MSRP right now anyways and... I got two great components.

I can't complain, even if I am not a huge fan of the case (it's more for looks than it is air flow). Yet... look at those clocks WITH THE CASE CLOSED. Then again, I do have a whopping 8 fans on it, and the air that comes in from the bottom has no obstruction (case sits 1.5 inches off my desk).

But yeah, I don't even know. I just kept increasing the clocks and voltages on the GPU and it kept passing bench marks and I was like, shit where do I stop? Kept going and eventually when I tried to do 3ghz, it crashed. But at 2998, it has held study and I haven't had a crash since. Of course, obviously the GPU doesn't run at that all the time, only when needed in some games or while rendering my 4k video renders since I don't have an iGPU to do that. Still, it's a wonder. I am pretty sure I am basically getting 6800xt performance at this point, or close too it.

SirVoltus

No, but..
i7 3770 + GTX 1070 still serves me well @1440p msi 27" mag274 qrf.
When PS5 games natively output 30 fps/60fps at 4k. I can mimic it 30/60 fps at 1440p with mixed setting and still looks good minus those raytracing capability. Though i avoid gaming 30 fps on pc. minimum 45 fps locked still smooth enough.
Having pc gaming does not mean i have to go highest setting.. adjustable is an advantages of pc gaming lifecycle.
Saying so.. i have my ps5 preorder coming supposedly next month. Just for some exclusives and ps plus games.

Last edited:
I'm running an i7-4770K (clocked at 4 GHz) PC with 16 GB of memory and an 11 GB GTX 1080 Ti. It was built in 2013 with the graphics card being the newest upgrade and even that is, what, four years old now! I play almost all of my PC games from an SSD at 1440p using G-SYNC and with maxed out setting in 99.9% of cases with the exception of ray-tracing.

I also have a PS5 and while that does support ray-tracing, which my current graphics card doesn't, I would say that overall my PC offers a slightly better experience overall than my PS5 in third-party games. For example, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla looks and runs better on my PC without any screen tearing at slightly better visual settings and the PS5 doesn't run many, if any, of its games at native 4K anyway, certainly not if you want to play at 60 fps, and feels very comparable to 1440p on my PC. Horizon Zero Dawn looks and runs far better on my PC than it does even on the PS5 at 60 fps (it has a lot less pop in for example). Still, I bought the PS5 for its exclusive games such as Demon's Souls and the amazing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, neither of which I can play on PC so I am very happy with the console. I play PC games on a 27" non-HDR G-SYNC display but play PS5 games on a 55" OLED TV with HDR so the console does have the edge in terms of display quality!

I am planning to build a new PC with a Ryzen CPU and RTX graphics at some point but the chip shortage and ridiculous prices as a result of scalping have basically put this back and I likely won't be upgrading until sometime next year. However, I suspect this PC will offer a substantially better gaming experience than the PS5 or even the Xbox Series X (which I don't own). That's to be expected though as it will cost a hell of a lot more than £449!!!

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

My system is getting dated, but its end result is definitely more powerful, though I'm not sure by how much. My CPU is lagging behind, but everything else is golden.

But when it's rebuild + upgrade time, I plan on going all in. More than ever before! :messenger_face_steam:

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
5800x and 3080. Definitely more powerful, though I will admit, I never play in 4k.

Demz frames son. 1440p 165fps is where it's at.

My Xbox does the 4k 60fps stuff and so I play certain games on there like Yakuza Like a Dragon or NBA2kXX. I'm thoroughly enjoying the upgrades to 4k 60 on alot of games as well.

But, PC is still my mainstay. That's been the case for fighting games as well. The 1ms response time on a monitor is just a better experience than anything I'd play on console and a TV.

Ryzen 5 3600
RX 580 8GB
16GB RAM

So no. I have roughly a PS4 Pro/Xbox One X not including any optimization on the console end? It was great for 1080p but my last monitor broke and I bought a Acer 1440p/144 monitor to replace it as it was open box at Microcenter for $160 (missing stand which I wouldn't use anyway). Monitor is nice (accepts 4K signal from my consoles) but the RX580 can't run anything new very well at native res.

Last edited:

twilo99

Has it ever been harder to build a PC that is on par with current generation consoles? Its absolutely impossible to get even close at $500... especially the xsx

Last edited:

Irobot82

Roughly the same TF. I have a GTX1080 but I don't have all the neat new modern features.....still waiting on them MSRP's.....one day.

Hydroxy

Rocking a low end gaming laptop, Ryzen 5500U, 16gb 3200mhz, GTX 1650 4gb gddr6. Its slower than even the Series S but I'm ok with playing at 1080p Medium settings on demanding games even at sub 60fps

Armorian

Banned
About 3x more powerful

i9 9900k (38% OC) --360mm Liquid Cooler--
RTX 3080 Ti
32GB of RAM
2TB NVMe (PS5 has me beat)

PS5 is 36CUs, 6800xt is twice that and 3080ti is ~15% better than it.

So slightly more than 2x, not 3x (raw TF numbers in Ampere are useless).

Kupfer

Is your pc more powerful than ps5/xbsx?
Absolutely not.

I put my PC together in 2012 and it's been running ever since. At some point i replaced the GTX680 4gb with a GTX1070ti but that was it. It still runs a i7-3770 + 16gb DDR3 inside.
And I have to say that i'm not interested in upgrading at the moment. The online games for which a PC was important to me don't appeal to me anymore. Bad design decisions by the developers and the ease and impunity for bad players to get and use cheats have destroyed a large part of my years-long hobby.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

I sense some no truths being told in this thread. I think some people think their pc is more powerful than it actually is.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yeah, the MHZ on my GPU is pretty insane. A 500+ oc is tough to do on any GPU, let alone a 6700xt and let alone without a custom water block, which I might add to it down the line. I literally don't know what happened. I bought a prebuilt since GPU's were hard to get, and then threw on a custom water loop for the CPU (I didn't hav ea distro plate for this particular GPU version) and yet, how can I complain? I got a golden sample CPU and on top of that, the GPU, while it has zero lighting, on a twin fan design is getting boost clocks so close to 3ghz and holding it stable. I have never been able to OC a GPU that much before, even on water. Maybe if I was hyper extreme LN2 cooling, but that's not a sustainable load doing that. Let's just say, while you pay more for prebuilt over MSRP, you can't build for MSRP right now anyways and... I got two great components.

I can't complain, even if I am not a huge fan of the case (it's more for looks than it is air flow). Yet... look at those clocks WITH THE CASE CLOSED. Then again, I do have a whopping 8 fans on it, and the air that comes in from the bottom has no obstruction (case sits 1.5 inches off my desk).

But yeah, I don't even know. I just kept increasing the clocks and voltages on the GPU and it kept passing bench marks and I was like, shit where do I stop? Kept going and eventually when I tried to do 3ghz, it crashed. But at 2998, it has held study and I haven't had a crash since. Of course, obviously the GPU doesn't run at that all the time, only when needed in some games or while rendering my 4k video renders since I don't have an iGPU to do that. Still, it's a wonder. I am pretty sure I am basically getting 6800xt performance at this point, or close too it.
What's your timespy gpu score?

Top Bottom