• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is your day one Xbox Series X/S faulty

Is your Xbox Series X/S faulty?

• I have a launch unit that has no hardware issues

• I have a launch unit that has hardware issues

• No Xbox, no cry

Results are only viewable after voting.

Warablo

Only thing I notice is sometimes when watching Twitch on it, the picture goes black for like 1-3 seconds once in awhile and then comes back. No idea if its a faulty Series X or not.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I voted yes but dunno if my issue is really serious. Some times when I power on via the controller once the Xbox is on my front roller shuts off. Try to turn in the controller again and just blinks and turns off. Do it again and always works. Prob a software issue if I had to guess.

My PS5 shell discoloration and coil whine are much much more aggravating.

Last edited:

St0pThatGuy

Neo Member
No hardware issues whatsoever. It's amazingly quiet. Have had plenty of little software issues though. Microsoft Rewards app crashes constantly. Quick Resume mostly just works, but on three different occasions all of my quick resumes just stopped working and I had to boot fresh. There was also this weird point about a week after I got the Xbox where all my games on external drives weren't showing up (They did show up as soon as I plugged them in, and worked for the first week). Two days later they all re-appeared. Super weird. All in all I'm very satisfied, but you can tell the software came in a little too hot.....
I've had this issue too. It says it's having trouble detecting the hard drive. Almost like it's not getting a good connection despite me checking the cables.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've played my Series X FAR more than my PlayStation 5. So far, no issues whatsoever.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No issues here and complete silence no matter what I throw at it.

Like it so much I keep exchanging my PS5 console to make the Series X look even better 😘

understand pop culture GIF

Desudzer10

I've used mine around 2-3 hours a day since launch. No problems, stays almost silent. For comparison I've played my ps5 around 10 hours a week since launch and no issues either.

Hey Blinkin

Only issues I can recall that were significant were a few game crashes and it turned on in 480p.

Otherwise no major issues.

My controller sometimes requires me to change the batteries for it to sync up, but I think that’s because these are old rechargeable batteries. Other than that, no issues. Thing is scary quiet, too.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Make the poll public OP. For sure some of those faulty pickers will be interesting.

No here's what we need:

If you look at the posts, 90 % of them are either PS fans, trolls or there is even a guy claiming he has had 3 fails, he is in Sony discord and follows other Sony trolls. When you challenge and ask for proof, they report and you get thread banned. He even claims the whine amplifies through his speakers - LOL.

No other site has this issue, and yet its a daily FUD on GAF - clean it up. 1 % consumer failure is normal, every Sony fan is just silly now.

All mods have to do is request the Xbox Gamertag of poster and check they have Series X/S Achievemnts and are genuine, then we can all chip in with advice or discuss properly - but we cant as its just full of trolls.

This anti console campaign needs to be put in check, and its so bad nobody believs any genuine poster.

P.S. Just in case anyone thinks I'm actually serious and hasn't already seen it, the above is parody of THIS post:

Couple games were, but they've been patched and now everything runs smooth. At launch COD Cold War caused the thing to crash like mad or get really hot. Its perfect now

I been light on playing my PS5 since getting it back from Sony and I wanted to know if the rest mode thing has been fixed/patched or the external HDD thing?

Mine is a second wave release but it has been bullet proof. I really enjoyed the setup of this console, super easy and automated for what to migrate, install, settings etc and the intelligence with the my TV is brilliant too. It has been a solid and gratifying post purchase experience.

Arcane0ne

No hardware issues on Series S,only at the first start with the ethernet cable fails to update,then i update the system with wifi and all works fine.

Last edited:
I actually have one issue to report here....

Sometimes while watching movies (for some reason it's always HBO Max), the whole screen goes full static and my Series X doesn't respond. Just shows a static screen.

On the 1st 2 weeks, sometimes when I do a cold start, the console outputs at blurry 540p... yet I have a freaking 4K OLED (LG CX). I have to restart my console once or twice to get the Xbox back to 4K output. And no... when i go to the output settings, it only lists 540p? Why?

Yet, I haven't come across with this issue anymore. yet, the gray static screen is sometimes rare. I can't tell if it's my Xbox or actually the stock HDMI cables it came with.

rapid32.5

No issues, Im amazed Series X is quiter than my Xbox one S. I adore quite hardware more focus on what's on the screen.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Only issue I have at the moment is, I have the Seagate 1tb expansion card for the series x. If I plug it in before turning on the console, it will not connect online even though it says I’m connected online wired (I have a wireless connection). I have to turn off console, unplug expansion card, turn on console then plug it in once I’m connected again.
Apparently Microsoft knows of this issue but just waiting for a patch.

I’ve played my series x more than my ps5 And I’ve had no problems been playing asscreed ragnarok and yakuza 7,watchdogs legion,and dirt even tho it’s too easy always in 1st place.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
My controller sometimes failed to turn on. I suspected I might have had a sync issue other people are mentioning, but after changing batteries it is working again with no issues.
I suspect there is a different amount of charge required to start up the console, and after getting ‘your battery level is low’ hardware prevents a start.

Methos#1975

No hardware issues really but quick resume is still glitchy as hell and hit or miss in rather it works, half the time games just hang up while loading from QR and close out

SkylineRKR

My S is completely silent and always works. But quick resume tends to glitch and sometimes the console locks up. I think this is software related. Its still a bit buggy. Moreso than my PS5 which is slightly more noisy though but also crashes sometimes.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Got a Series S, put 100s and 100s of hours on it already. Absolutely not one issue hardware wise, quiet as a mouse even when playing Gears 5 at 120fps for hours. I sit at my desk 1/2 feet away. Got an external SSD and keyboard connected, never any issues.

Only one game has frozen during that time, Ori and the Blind Forest; during the final sequence. That’s a common freeze though, looking online.

Quick resume initially seemed to have issues for me with Banjo-Kazooie N&B, Forza Horizon 4, Fallen Order and Gears 5 never seeming to work. However, they did an update a week or 2 after launch and now every game I try works. It’s an incredible feature.

Last edited:

cireza

I had my console at launch and everything has been working like a dream. No problem at all. I wish the same to everyone out there.

Last edited:

Self

No problems with Series X and PS5 so far. Disc drives are a bit noisy though, but that's fine.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I actually have one issue to report here....

Sometimes while watching movies (for some reason it's always HBO Max), the whole screen goes full static and my Series X doesn't respond. Just shows a static screen.

On the 1st 2 weeks, sometimes when I do a cold start, the console outputs at blurry 540p... yet I have a freaking 4K OLED (LG CX). I have to restart my console once or twice to get the Xbox back to 4K output. And no... when i go to the output settings, it only lists 540p? Why?

Yet, I haven't come across with this issue anymore. yet, the gray static screen is sometimes rare. I can't tell if it's my Xbox or actually the stock HDMI cables it came with.
That's wrong HDMI handshake, in which port you have the TV plugged in? I had the same issue, when I first take my PS4 to home : D I have same TV btw

Gatox

Banned
My Series X has worked perfectly so far, had one crash that restarted the machine on Cyberpunk but other than that its been silent and marvellous.

RAIDEN1

Glad I didn't jump on the hype train for Xbox SX and PS5....you never got this level of fault in the previous generation! Last time it was on this level was probably the Red ring of death??

That's wrong HDMI handshake, in which port you have the TV plugged in? I had the same issue, when I first take my PS4 to home : D I have same TV btw
The Xbox HDMI cable is plugged in to the 1st top ouyt;et in the left side of the TV. I've even tried to switch it to the second outlet with my PS4 Pro and it still had issues. My Pro never had this issue. So maybe it's just the HDMI cable is being faulty.

Moogle11

Banned
Didn't vote since not quite day one as I ordered from Microsoft on Launch night, but didn't receive it until 11/30 so it was a later batch.

Zero issues so far. One hard crash (console turned off) from Cyberpunk, but that was game issue. Other wise it's been rock solid, quiet etc. Same with PS5 (also not day one as was delivered on 11/25 from Costco.com and shipped on the 20th). A couple crashes early on from Miles Morales, but no other issues. Some coil whine occasionally, but not close to audible with headphones on so don't care (especially after my jet engine PS4 Pro).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Glad I didn't jump on the hype train for Xbox SX and PS5....you never got this level of fault in the previous generation! Last time it was on this level was probably the Red ring of death??
What? It is just a super low sample size here and mmmh RROD like faults? No way...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The Xbox HDMI cable is plugged in to the 1st top ouyt;et in the left side of the TV. I've even tried to switch it to the second outlet with my PS4 Pro and it still had issues. My Pro never had this issue. So maybe it's just the HDMI cable is being faulty.
Seems like you got bad cable, which is shame because that one which came with XSX is really nice

Top Bottom