• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Yakuza 0 the weirdest game ever made? No Story Spoilers untagged please

Corrik

Well, I don't like to play the same genres in a row. I get bored after awhile. So, I am already playing Jedi Fallen Order. I'll wait til another comes to Gamepass before I try another one or not.

I mean, it was cool, but it also was a lot of tedious hours also.

Snakey125

Welcome to the Yakuza series. Enjoy your stay.

If you love that weirdness, You'll fall in love with the rest of the series.

Welcome to the Yakuza series. Enjoy your stay.

If you love that weirdness, You'll fall in love with the rest of the series.
Yakuza 0 was the first Yakuza game I played and I did like it but I am hesitant to play any of the others due to those mandatory minigames some quests require you to play. Especially in that financial building management thing it was extremely annoying having to play those minigames in order to finish it. That fucking bowling thing took hours to get.

Hinedorf

Banned
I am currently playing Yakuza 0, and it is legitly one of the weirdest games I have ever played. From wank off rooms to dudes who walk around humping the air asking you for deets on Dem hott bitches around town to a guy stealing dudes pants.

Is this game the weirdest game ever made? Are the rest of the Yakuza games this wild? I am only on chapter 7.

Gamepass.

I just assumed from the ignorant American perspective that's just a "Japanese thing" and immediately took it as accepted gameplay

cireza

Banned
I really did not like the battle system, it lacks a proper lock-on, you end up often striking the air which is extremely annoying. Your character does not turn around well. It is one of the most frustrating battle system actually.

recma12

I really did not like the battle system, it lacks a proper lock-on, you end up often striking the air which is extremely annoying. Your character does not turn around well. It is one of the most frustrating battle system actually.

Theres is lock-on.....
But yeah, combat is actually one of my least favorite aspects on Yakuza games and I'm a massive fan of the series.
Never managed to properly balance movement/difficulty/reward/quanitity/healing into a coherent fighting system.
The special move cutscenes get old after 10hours of gameplay.

Fighting gets especially tiring during the endgame sequences when you fight waves of enemies or bosses.
Zero actually had one of the better combat systems of the series, believe it or not.
Judgement tried to implement some interesting things... but it was also kinda "meh".

the good news:
The devs seem to agree with that sentiment. Yakuza 7 will have a new turn based combat system.
If they nail that..... oh boy

recma12

It seems to me that you lose the lock whenever you fall on the ground ? Still pretty awful lock in my opinion.

Yakuza 7 might be much better in my opinion because of this.

Y7 is out in Japan and from the footage I've seen, combat looks lovely.
My fear was that they will do a half assed turn based system, but in the demo it looks like a deep, fully fleshed out JRPG combat. Weaknesses, EXP, MP, Health, special moves, you name it.

Hope they will give us a Western release date soon or I will have to learn Japanese. Can't wait.

cireza

Banned
Y7 is out in Japan and from the footage I've seen, combat looks lovely.
My fear was that they will do a half assed turn based system, but in the demo it looks like a deep, fully fleshed out JRPG combat. Weaknesses, EXP, MP, Health, special moves, you name it.

Hope they will give us a Western release date soon or I will have to learn Japanese. Can't wait.
Sega Japan actually has some great RPG experience and talent in-house. Always had.

Top Bottom