• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Xbox Series X graphics chip significantly more powerful than PS5?

Is PS5 GPU very weak compared to Series X?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I came across this video by Austin Evans

In this video he says Xbox Series X GPU is significantly more powerful than PS5 and he's in the past continued to downplay PS5 tech and always comes across as biased in favor of Xbox. Dude even says Halo Infinite has higher fidelity textures on Series X. He continues to misinform his audience. What do you think GAF, is Series X GPU that much more powerful than PS5?

Chime in your thoughts, let the bloodbath begin!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If I'd bet, I'd put my money on Ben Gold & Ferry Corstein buying a PS5 over an Xbox SX.
Hard to say, this not something I talk about outside of this forum, you know, we talking about other nerd shit. Also I don't know mr. Corsten, that's probably way above my "pay grade" : )

The magic of shite maths. We are now down to 10% folks!
I admit I am not huge mathematician, so what is the right percentage? Because 10.82 + 10% of that, is 11.82 and that's roughly 12TF.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
Good luck getting people to buy the most powerful console ever with more powerful graphics chip when the flagship game looks worse than a lot of current gen games

3167497-4167059142-65bCq.gif

Last edited:
The Moment HZD Forbidden West Gameplay drops all pieholes will be shut.

Spencer will jumping around in their HQ and randomly smack people on their heads...
Alex Bagtallia will release a downplaying video about the Gameplay and tears of Xbox Fans worldwide will get collected in Forums and turned into powerfull manapotions..

Last edited:
The Moment HZD Forbidden West Gameplay drops all pieholes will be shut.

Spencer will jump around in their HQ and randomly smack people on their heads...
Alex Bagtallia will release a downplaying video about the Gameplay and tears of Xbox Fans worldwide will get collected in Forums and turned into powerfull manapotions..

hahaha, i chuckled at the alex bagtallia part. John Linneman and Richard seem to be more neutral in their biases and enjoy listening to them over Alex. Did alex make excuses for Halo Infinite tech?

BigLee74

I admit I am not huge mathematician, so what is the right percentage? Because 10.82 + 10% of that, is 11.82 and that's roughly 12TF.

Well, I guess it helps if you get your base numbers correct.

PS5 = 10.28 (but may be lower... How low is a good question)
XSX = 12.15 (all the time, unless off)

Let's call it 20%. It has the difference of a whole PS4, but bigger, because more modern tech, innit?

@ Mr Playstation:
I guess he went with no dynamik lighting is the reason for the flat looks of Halo Infinite..
Iam waiting for the first outlet talking the truth and blaming Xbox one support for its looks ..

Last edited:

Let's call it 20%. It has the difference of a whole PS4, but bigger, because more modern tech, innit?

Yeah somewhere around 10-20% performance delta between both, compared to the start of PS4 gen where PS4 was almost 50% more powerful than Xbox One right? Almost all games would outperform Xbox one in resolution and frame rates back then

BigLee74

Yeah somewhere around 10-20% performance delta between both, compared to the start of PS4 gen where PS4 was almost 50% more powerful than Xbox One right? Almost all games would outperform Xbox one in resolution and frame rates back then

Still sneaking that 10% in there?

Let's agree on 18% minimum, which is still pretty significant.

Enough to give Craig some hair.

DavidGzz

Until revealed otherwise, it definitely seems to be the console to play your multi-platform games on unless you have a beast PC. Pretty sweet for Xbox fans. DF threads will be interesting.

Similar to the Pro and the X. PS5 will be great for their exclusives only if you own both consoles.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

PS5 = 10.28 (but may be lower... When the max theoretical performance it's not being used)
XSX = 12.15 (all the time, unless off... Even when the max theoretical performance is not being used)
Fixed

The magic of shite maths. We are now down to straight compare decimal numbers when they scaling folks!

Last edited:

Ps5 we don’t really know the final specs until there is a physical teardown...depending on where you read it could be a 9tf console or it could be a 10tf console.

there is lots of bullshit out there
Don’t focus on the numbers...both will have amazing games

Last edited:
PS5 is about 2080.
XSeX is somewhere between 2080su and 2080Ti.

"Let me pick outlandishly OCed card to make my moot point"

not a moot point. I was comparing them to their closest equivalent Nvidia card. He was comparing the gap between the two.

also you don’t know what you’re talking about if you think Nvidia boost clock = overclock. Just saying

Freeman

Banned
It's a little bit better on paper in terms of teraflops, that's it.

We are talking about a diference that is much smaller than the diference between the PS4/XB1 or the PS4/XB1X and those diferences were already really small.

It's going to be pretty much irrelevant, it might even end up working against the Xbox Series X if it ends up being more expensive and the results do not back it up.

The Xbox One X played games at a higher resolution and yet failed so miserably it already isn't being produced anymore(less than 3 years after launch). The PS4 Pro also has the best looking games on the market anyway regardless of being less powerful.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gap wise you are right. I was talking about the performance of the cards in practice

What do you think a performance summary is? The Series X GPU has already been benchmarked with a UE4 game, its a 2080 equivalent GPU. The Series X and PS5 share the same RDNA2 GPU architecture no different than the 2080Ti and 2080 share the same architecture. The PS5 GPU has less teraflops than the Series X GPU by 18-20%. Common sense.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
12TF delivered all day avery day every second VS theoretical 10TF that most of the time works below that severely depends on ambient temperature of room.

So Xbox is about 20% to 30% more powerful it might even be more if PS5 user is living in hot climate.
But if lockhart exist it won't matter since both PS5 and SEX games will be effectively upscaled 4TF games aside from few exclusives.

What do you think a performance summary is? The Series X GPU has already been benchmarked with a UE4 game, its a 2080 equivalent card. The Series X and PS5 share the same RDNA2 GPU architecture no different than the 2080Ti and 2080 share the same architecture. The PS5 GPU has less teraflops than the
Series X GPU. Common sense.

like i said you compared the gap, I said you were correct after you clarified. I was saying their closest equivalent Nvidia card. This discussion doesn’t need to go any further

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Until revealed otherwise, it definitely seems to be the console to play your multi-platform games on unless you have a beast PC. Pretty sweet for Xbox fans. DF threads will be interesting.

Similar to the Pro and the X. PS5 will be great for their exclusives only if you own both consoles.
I own both this gen, I will at launch next gen, only occasionally do I choose to play on Xbox over PlayStation for multiplatform games. Power is just one factor, for many it is not the main deciding factor.

BrentonB

Whether the difference is significant depends on the who's making the game. A talented developer can make a system punch above its weight while an 'average' developer won't push a system to its limits. As always, games will tell the tale.

Bankai

How about you approach it in RELATIVE terms, like a sane human being? Do the math again, and then you'll figure out that the power differential is smaller for nextgen, than it was with PS4 VS Xbox One.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It’s about 20% more powerful GPU wise, with a constant clock speed which makes life easier for devs. Since most titles are Multiplatform it’ll probably be like the last 2 gens where the more powerful console just runs at a slightly higher res and more stable frame rate.

I wouldn’t call it significant.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Ps5 we don’t really know the final specs until there is a physical teardown...depending on where you read it could be a 9tf console or it could be a 10tf console.

there is lots of bullshit out there
Don’t focus on the numbers...both will have amazing games
That's not what get you any answers, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom