• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Trevor Phillips the worst character created?

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I'm just glad he didn't flash his penis to the player. I still remember that specific scene in the GTAIV DLC vividly, and I really wish I didn't.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Well the character succeeds as they clearly intended this to be the most vile piece of shit human being you have ever met. But yeah what an unpleasant character to spend time with in a game, I am not a fan.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I know a lot of people like him but to me it seems like he was created by some edgy 12 year old who still thinks that fart jokes are funny. GTA IV got flack for having too much ludo narrative dissonance because they show the toll that all violence is taking on Niko while still allowing you to go on GTA rampages in free roam. It never bothered me but apparently this was a real issue to some people so they wanted to make a character that reflected the player but they went too far with Trevor. None of the GTA protags were good people but with this exception they all cool gangsters instead of just a pointless lunatic

Trevor eats people which is not what I think of when I think of the gangster movies that GTA is modeled on
He is a disgusting pig who craps in alleys and does even bother to wipe his butt and his default shirt looks like it should be burned
He is a bully who uses and abuses those who are weaker than him. He treats Ron and that Clown makeup guy like trash and he actually rapes Floyd and ruins his life for no good reason

To each their own but I seriously can't believe the same people who came up with Arthur Morgan, John Marston, Tommy Vercetti and CJ came up with this abomination.
I dunno Franklin was probably the most decent one. He was just raised in the hood...the hood is all he knew, as I see it. I'm from Chicago and so I can kind of relate to Franklin. He was kind of a victim of his peers and family.

Trevor is cartoonish though. Entertaining for sure. He also, though was at his core, a victim of his environment. His environment created a monster. If you look around Los Santos, everybody they meet is fucked up in one way or another. Even Lazlo hosting his new show was fucked up. Michael and his entire family had issues.

Even then, Trevor still were able to show some form of humanity throughout the story. Trevor actually cared about a woman he met...who was obviously married but still, you get the sense that he'd do anything for her. In his own fucked up way Trevor was capable of love and sacrifice for the benefit of another person. So no, I can't agree he's the worst character ever made.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Trevor is the BEST character in GTA 5. He's the Kramer of the game. Without him, GTA 5 would be dull and boring. Loved Trevor.

FingerBang

I dunno Franklin was probably the most decent one. He was just raised in the hood...the hood is all he knew, as I see it. I'm from Chicago and so I can kind of relate to Franklin. He was kind of a victim of his peers and family.

Trevor is cartoonish though. Entertaining for sure. He also, though was at his core, a victim of his environment. His environment created a monster. If you look around Los Santos, everybody they meet is fucked up in one way or another. Even Lazlo hosting his new show was fucked up. Michael and his entire family had issues.

Even then, Trevor still were able to show some form of humanity throughout the story. Trevor actually cared about a woman he met...who was obviously married but still, you get the sense that he'd do anything for her. In his own fucked up way Trevor was capable of love and sacrifice for the benefit of another person. So no, I can't agree he's the worst character ever made.
He's fucked up, but you can feel he's genuine at his core. Trevor is exactly what you see, which isn't the case for anyone else (main charachters and NPCs) in the world of GTA.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

He may be essential to story and have depth but he is one of the major reasons I only used the game as a driving and mayhem simulator. I have a hard time playing a bad guy even in games. I want to destroy these characters not be them.
upside down spinning GIF

Woggleman

That Dock worker mission is one of the worst things I have played in a game. I would rather have a game full of nothing but GTA IV's shootouts in a warehouse than this.

Top Bottom