• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Trevor Phillips the worst character created?

Eimran

He's supposed to represent an over the top mentally instable meth hillbilly which he exactly did.

I liked how he was created like that, and that beneath all that insanity he stil had more morality than Franklin and especially Michael.

As a 30 year old gamer I liked the change from those stereotype vanilla voice actor characters. But what do I know, I must just be a 12 year old who enjoys fart jokes, right OP?

Last edited:

Fbh

I didn't think he was that bad.
If nothing else at least he was memorable, I don't really remember much about Michael and Trevor. I also found the story extremely underwhelming (both the plot and mission design).
But I only played the original release on Ps3, not sure if/what they have improved in the newer version

YCoCg

But I only played the original release on Ps3, not sure if/what they have improved in the newer version
They didn't add anything to Story Mode in the PC/PS4/XB1 versions except some collectables, no new dialogue or extra scenes for the characters.

Reactions: Fbh

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I enjoyed each of the three main characters. They each offered their own perspective.

Trevor is no doubt a monster piece of shit. Barely more than a rabid animal. But it still added to the game.

Warablo

Franklin was the worst, he's the most boring GTA character ever.

Trevor was awesome because Steven Ogg was awesome.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I think this is just a case of painting him as a poor character because you dislike him so much. Sure, some of the stuff is cringe but some of it is legit funny. The 'hipster' convo, the motel smelling like a fishmongers and then other side activites like going to kill the minute men when he realises they are just assholes going after anyone that looks illegal.

The real winner of edgy, shit characters in gta v clearly goes to the turd lamarr. Or Michaels son. Lamarr gets my vote though because he's a proper support character and is legitimately terrible enough to remember.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Someone not liking something doesnt equal to that something being bad.

Being good or bad is tied to how it succeeds in making you feel whatever it's intended to make you feel.

Does trevor succed in it? Mostly yes, so he is a good character.

carlosrox

Banned
I found all 3 of them annoying in their own ways but Trevor was probably the most interesting character, even if he did some deeply unlikable stuff.

I think he was an effective character and sort of likeable aside from the *really* assholeish stuff he did.

FingerBang

GTA V is a masterpiece of satire (for a video game). All 3 characters represent not only a different background/class, they also represent the different faces of the Grand Theft Auto series, which started as a game where you were free to move around and kill people and evolved into a fully fledged parody of the American culture. Each game focused on a different experience, but GTA V elevates it by taking the Californian/Hollywood life and showing how different it looks based on who you are and where you come from.

I don't want to go too deep into each character, but as many have pointed out, Trevor is the ONLY coherent character if you play like a madman. Personally, I have stopped murdering everyone in my way and just play hide-and-seek with the police. But if you play that way, Trevor is basically the only character that makes sense transitioning between cutscenes and gameplay. He also represents the players, at least some of them and makes some EXCELLENT, fourth wall breaking commentary too.

This is a great video about the game and the characters

Last edited:

Roufianos

Not for me, he was entertaining and hilarious at times, same as Lamar.

Worst characters in that game are Michael and his family.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Definitely more interesting than Michael and Franklin. Michael is a trash version of every Ray Liotta character and Franklin is lame, lamar should've been the playable character.

Trevor as an irredeemable piece of shit was an interesting character choice. Steve Ogg as Trevor elevated the character to some next level shit. My second favorite gta protag behind Tommy V.

Scotty W

No, he is one of the greatest of all time. I have met people who are a lot like Trevor, but I have never seen anyone like him in any game or movie.

fatmarco

I basically turned the game off for half an hour after what they did to Johnny because of how put off I was (and then the subsequent murdering of the Lost and Damned bikers). That's probably the only time a game has truly insulted me personally hahah.

After "la la la la la" ignoring that fact to try I enjoyed the rest of the game, (which I did in the end) but man that is just the worst trope in the world to start a story off by having the new character and story humiliate a previous main character.

It's like the entertainment equivalent of swallowing vomit.

(particularly in this case because it just had no reasonable justification for occurring, but it did follow a trend around that time of Rockstar ruining characters with complete/resolved character arcs aka. Max Payne for shock value)

Last edited:
I know I'm supposed to hate him...but to me, he was the most eccentric and enjoyable of the three main characters and ultimately the stand out of that game.

Franklin was boring as all hell...I don't even remember what his story was.
As for Michael...Michael was okay, but I will admit I wanted to strangle his family...especially Jimmy...FUCK JIMMY!

Of the three of those characters, for as awful as Trevor was, he was at least the most enjoyable of the three in his own sick eccentric Jack Nicholson kind of way.

Skifi28

He was the best thing about the game. They basically made a character in the image of how people actually play GTA and it was hilarious. If I wanted a realistic character I'd play something else.

Guilty_AI

Trevor eats people which is not what I think of when I think of the gangster movies that GTA is modeled on
He is a disgusting pig who craps in alleys and does even bother to wipe his butt and his default shirt looks like it should be burned
He is a bully who uses and abuses those who are weaker than him. He treats Ron and that Clown makeup guy like trash and he actually rapes Floyd and ruins his life for no good reason
Good characters =/= good people

Learn to differ

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Other games wish they had a Trevor, I’m with GAF I was into the characters in GTA V.

Guilty_AI

Of course not but he is just over the top and disgusting with no likable qualities to counter it.
He's the most loyal and honest character of the entire game. I'd say thats pretty likeable considering the rest of that world is filled with liars and hypocrites.

Woggleman

He's the most loyal and honest character of the entire game. I'd say thats pretty likeable considering the rest of that world is filled with liars and hypocrites.
He demands loyalty and honesty for himself. He abuses those who are closest to him. The only reason he doesn't do it to Michael and Franklin is because they would both fight back. He would sell Ron out in a heartbeat if it would benefit him.

Guilty_AI

He demands loyalty and honesty for himself. He abuses those who are closest to him. The only reason he doesn't do it to Michael and Franklin is because they would both fight back. He would sell Ron out in a heartbeat if it would benefit him.
Or so you believe, no point in discussing hypothetical scenarios of a fictional story.

Either way, even if he had no reedemable qualities that still wouldn't make him a bad character considering the context. He's a reflection of how people play GTA games (which makes using him more fun), and most of all he's interesting to watch. Those two points alone already make him a decent character in my book, more so than other wannabe "deep" characters i've seem in other games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom