• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Trevor Phillips the worst character created?

Woggleman

I know a lot of people like him but to me it seems like he was created by some edgy 12 year old who still thinks that fart jokes are funny. GTA IV got flack for having too much ludo narrative dissonance because they show the toll that all violence is taking on Niko while still allowing you to go on GTA rampages in free roam. It never bothered me but apparently this was a real issue to some people so they wanted to make a character that reflected the player but they went too far with Trevor. None of the GTA protags were good people but with this exception they all cool gangsters instead of just a pointless lunatic

Trevor eats people which is not what I think of when I think of the gangster movies that GTA is modeled on
He is a disgusting pig who craps in alleys and does even bother to wipe his butt and his default shirt looks like it should be burned
He is a bully who uses and abuses those who are weaker than him. He treats Ron and that Clown makeup guy like trash and he actually rapes Floyd and ruins his life for no good reason

To each their own but I seriously can't believe the same people who came up with Arthur Morgan, John Marston, Tommy Vercetti and CJ came up with this abomination.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't think that Trevor is crude in a comic relief fart joke kind of way. I found him to be quite complex. He's definitely a psychopath and much of his behavior is antisocial, but as you play through his story and understand his relationships it becomes apparent why he is the way that he is.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Grand Theft Auto Gta GIF by Rockstar Games

Atrus

Gold Member
I wanted to like him but the many character switch scenarios show him to be an irredeemable psychopath.

The ending wasn’t really that difficult for me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They succeeded in what they meant him to be. He's all of the bad things put into one. It's like a movie, it's make belief.

Woggleman

The other characters were weak as well. Michael's whole family including him were just wastes of space and I hated the way he just acted like a prick to the staff at the studio when we would do a character switch.

Buki1

Rockstar even said that this character is based on how a lot of people play GTA in free roam or multiplayer - pure chaos and violence for shits and giggles. A lot of his actions or jokes are based on what streamers did while playing GTAIV. Like "scooter brothers" for example.

It just a fan service to pretty big part of GTA community.

Last edited:
Trevor is supposed to be a piece of shit, which is what makes him the character he is. He makes you uncomfortable and feel dirty, and has been written perfectly to fit that.

Even you not liking him enough to make this thread proves hes a good character as he was memorable for you to voice out.

There are way more shit characters than anyone could count if you went through all games and took the time to find them. We cant think of them because of they were so bad they didnt leave any kind of impression

EekTheKat

I think if he was on his own, yeah he would be borderline intolerable for a duration of a full game. But mixed with Michael and Franklin they do make for an interesting group dynamic.

All 3 characters were poor. Trevor was the most tiresome shit I've ever seen in any GTA. He is so bad, not funny in any way, shape or form. Just a dogshit character designed for 12 year olds. No redeemable qualities.

Last edited:

bit_blaster

Neo Member
He was basically the break out character like Kramer on Seinfeld.

Michael and Franklin were played too much like voice of reason types, Trevor was lots of fun.

I know a lot of people like him but to me it seems like he was created by some edgy 12 year old who still thinks that fart jokes are funny. GTA IV got flack for having too much ludo narrative dissonance because they show the toll that all violence is taking on Niko while still allowing you to go on GTA rampages in free roam. It never bothered me but apparently this was a real issue to some people so they wanted to make a character that reflected the player but they went too far with Trevor. None of the GTA protags were good people but with this exception they all cool gangsters instead of just a pointless lunatic

Trevor eats people which is not what I think of when I think of the gangster movies that GTA is modeled on
He is a disgusting pig who craps in alleys and does even bother to wipe his butt and his default shirt looks like it should be burned
He is a bully who uses and abuses those who are weaker than him. He treats Ron and that Clown makeup guy like trash and he actually rapes Floyd and ruins his life for no good reason

To each their own but I seriously can't believe the same people who came up with Arthur Morgan, John Marston, Tommy Vercetti and CJ came up with this abomination.

The fact that you dislike him is a testament to how great he is as a character.

It means that the writing and the voice acting was in harmony to the point where the character believable - in a video game, mind you - where you can feel personal animosity against it.

And come on, you personally rob, kill, maim, maul, and blow up human beings in the game without remorse as either Michael or Franklin in what is supposed to be a "realistic depiction of LA," to which, realistically speaking, makes Trevor a perfect embodiment of the average player of GTA but tied to a personality that makes sense for a person who enjoys doing all the nasty things a player could do in the game.

I dislike his personality, but as a video game character in Grand Theft Auto - he's great.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I like him, he’s a great character. In GTA you are acting like a psychopath creating massive carnage and killing indiscriminately . Trevor just puts it in so your face so much that you recoil from him. Maybe he makes you pause and think about what you are actually doing in the game. He is extremely uncomfortable to play as and to be around and I believe that is the point.

I think GTA 5 will be the last good one. Now that the Houser brothers are gone Rockstar/Take 2 won’t be nearly so daring going against the PC crowd.

Top Bottom