• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the shittiest 'greatest tv shows of all time' list? (Empire)

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
https://www.empireonline.com/amp/tv/features/best-tv-shows-ever-2/

I know opinions and all but wtf!
Seinfeld at 21! I have never seen Seinfeld lower than 10, maybe even 5, in any such list ever.
The OA (yes!) Is above Seinfeld, at number 7. Friends at number 5, higher than Seinfeld and west wing. Buffy, lost are also higher. Game of thrones at 2 while Chernobyl stuck at some shitty number.
This list is pure garbage.

Empire is a British publication and naturally they didn't come up watching Seinfeld and most American TV shows. There are exceptions of course with Friends and Buffy being extremely popular on an international scale.

DKehoe

Empire is a U.K. magazine and Seinfeld wasn't that big a deal here. I believe it just didn't have a good timeslot when it was shown. Friends, Buffy and Lost were all bigger so that would explain them ranking higher.

EDIT: beaten by AlteredForms AlteredForms

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Empire is a British publication and naturally they didn't come up watching Seinfeld and most American TV shows. There are exceptions of course with Friends and Buffy being extremely popular on an international scale.

I get the point but bro, The OA at number 7!

I get the point but bro, The OA at number 7!
I'm unsure about it being ranked too high or low based upon your post. Personally I've never heard of it and think there needs to be a criteria with these lists in terms of longevity. A production can be excellent for 1/2 seasons but we all know it's season 3 when things start to go downhill.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Empire is a U.K. magazine and Seinfeld wasn't that big a deal here. I believe it just didn't have a good timeslot when it was shown. Friends, Buffy and Lost were all bigger so that would explain them ranking higher.

EDIT: beaten by AlteredForms AlteredForms
I remember it used to be on BBC2 at like 11 o'clock and it was probably about five years behind.

tsumake

Rome at 100? Worse than FUCKING FARSCAPE? Worse than Gilmore Girls? What a fucking take.

Chernobyl 24? Twin Peaks 12? Lost at 9? What? Buffy at 8? OA at 7?

The list is awful.

Fawlty Towers is way too low on the list. It’s considered the finest British comedy show.

bitbydeath

I'm unsure about it being ranked too high or low based upon your post. Personally I've never heard of it and think there needs to be a criteria with these lists in terms of longevity. A production can be excellent for 1/2 seasons but we all know it's season 3 when things start to go downhill.
This is all you need to know about it.

The-OA-2.gif

tsumake

Monty Python is way too low. We can discuss taste, but it was probably one of the 10 most influential TV shows in the last 100 years.

Agree. I’m not a real MP fan but you cannot underestimate its impact. It’s a bit ironic, since Empire is a UK publication.

Rome at 100? Worse than FUCKING FARSCAPE? Worse than Gilmore Girls? What a fucking take.

Chernobyl 24? Twin Peaks 12? Lost at 9? What? Buffy at 8? OA at 7?

The list is awful.
FUCKING FARSCAPE should be No. 1.

Well, at least top 10.

Though I did love Rome too, RIP.

I don't know, the list has a bunch of great shows, some I thought were crap, some I never watched. You can't make a list like this without fucking some things up.

Breaking Bad at #1? No problem there. GoT at #2. Nope. Nuh-uh.

I'd flip Peep Show and Always Sunny.

I'll take BSG being top spaceship show though.

Twilight Zone is ranked way too low, and putting it just slightly above Black Mirror seems like an insult to me.

I guess there's the philosophical question of whether you rate a show at its peak, or if you knock it down for the crappy limping over the finish years... Even Breaking Bad didn't quite nail the ending for me. I'm struggling to think of many shows that really did.

Where's Babylon 5? If you cherry-pick through the mostly-shit TV movies, and ignore how insufferable JMS is, the entire run is actually pretty strong. Season 5 isn't the best, but it's not Star Trek TNG S7 bad. It should at least be top 100.

TonyK

In my opinion, the top three (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and The Sopranos) are boring AF. I only managed to watch until season 2 of any of those three. Going further would be masochistic for me.

Line of Duty would be my number 1.

Kev Kev

these kind of lists are alway shit

that being said, breaking bad being #1 is perfectly acceptable for me. but The OA has no business being at #7. i love that show to death, and the second season was INSANE, but come on...

#SaveTheOA

Lupingosei

Banned
Agree. I’m not a real MP fan but you cannot underestimate its impact. It’s a bit ironic, since Empire is a UK publication.
Probably too clever for them.

Monty Python changed comedy, filmmaking, and a lot of other things, up to this date you will find Mony Python references in movies, games, and tv shows.

That is why I also thought the comment of that BBC person, how Monty Python would not be made today, was mind-blowingly stupid. This show influences generations of filmmakers and creatives and you only reduce it to gender and race? Up to this day, it is crazy how clever that show was.

T8SC

Far too many American shows, utter garbage for the majority. Only Fools, Blackadder & Red Dwarf deserve to be far higher up. Especially when American "comedy" shows are higher and are about as funny as stepping on Lego.

On behalf of the British Empire, I apologise for this half baked list. I suspended higher brain functions at 100 and Rome. It's better then 90% of shit on the list. If you are going to have Doctor Who at 10 don't put a picture of Dr Karen on there.

tsumake

Far too many American shows, utter garbage for the majority. Only Fools, Blackadder & Red Dwarf deserve to be far higher up. Especially when American "comedy" shows are higher and are about as funny as stepping on Lego.

I tried watching a few episodes of the first season of Black Adder, couldn’t get into it. Is it true the first season is a bit meh and the later seasons are much better? Can I just skip the first season?

T8SC

I tried watching a few episodes of the first season of Black Adder, couldn’t get into it. Is it true the first season is a bit meh and the later seasons are much better? Can I just skip the first season?

Watch seasons 3 & 4.

flashheart-woof.gif

FUCKING FARSCAPE should be No. 1.

Well, at least top 10.

Though I did love Rome too, RIP.

I don't know, the list has a bunch of great shows, some I thought were crap, some I never watched. You can't make a list like this without fucking some things up.

Breaking Bad at #1? No problem there. GoT at #2. Nope. Nuh-uh.

I'd flip Peep Show and Always Sunny.

I'll take BSG being top spaceship show though.

Twilight Zone is ranked way too low, and putting it just slightly above Black Mirror seems like an insult to me.

I guess there's the philosophical question of whether you rate a show at its peak, or if you knock it down for the crappy limping over the finish years... Even Breaking Bad didn't quite nail the ending for me. I'm struggling to think of many shows that really did.

Where's Babylon 5? If you cherry-pick through the mostly-shit TV movies, and ignore how insufferable JMS is, the entire run is actually pretty strong. Season 5 isn't the best, but it's not Star Trek TNG S7 bad. It should at least be top 100.
- Farscape is shitty scifi imo. And yes its got a cult following but even they recognize it failures and campy-ness.
- Rome elite, agreed.
- Breaking Bad is fine at #1, GOT is fine at #2. Ending aside, its a top knotch 4-5 seasons of entertainment and did it on a production and casting level beyond anything I thought they'd do when HBO got the IP.
- Always Sunny should be higher (lower? whichever is better)
- BSG best scifi show I agree with. Top level scifi, love it.
- Agree about Twilight Zone, especially when you consider all the shows that took inspiration from it on the list. X-Files, etc.
- Babylon 5 not my cup of tea. A worse DS9.

Quasicat

I’m surprised The West Wing came out on the top 5 being a very American political show. Also, just a few that they missed: WKRP in Cincinnati, Hogan’s Hero’s, and Boston Legal. These would have made my list easily.

Dr Bass

Cheers at 73 is insane.

After starting at 20 or so I started thinking "oh it's going to be one of the top few where it belongs ..."

Nope. Had to search to find it.

What a bizarre and silly list.

I_D

This is all you need to know about it.

The-OA-2.gif

It's a shitty list, but the OA is one of the best shows on Netflix (though certainly not top-ten-all-time). It's a serious shame that it was cancelled.

And, just because it annoys me when people post this .gif, they explicitly mention how stupid the movements are NUMEROUS times. The stupidity of the movements is a significant part of the plot.
Unless the argument is that multiple dimensions and time travel and whatnot are stupid, in which case that puts OA on the same level as pretty much any sci-fi ever made.

Yoboman

https://www.empireonline.com/amp/tv/features/best-tv-shows-ever-2/

I know opinions and all but wtf!
Seinfeld at 21! I have never seen Seinfeld lower than 10, maybe even 5, in any such list ever.
The OA (yes!) Is above Seinfeld, at number 7. Friends at number 5, higher than Seinfeld and west wing. Buffy, lost are also higher. Game of thrones at 2 while Chernobyl stuck at some shitty number.
This list is pure garbage.
Nothing wrong with GOT at number 2

Before it went off the rails it was definitely one of the best TV shows ever

And considering its TV and 99% of them lose steam before being canned I'd say its fine. Just like having the Simpsons as a top 10 based on the early seasons

If it was a network show it would have had 10 more seasons of declining quality. Be thankful we got out where we did

Why do people take something dumb and shitty like this list, then share with everyone they know adding to its exposure.

Just Click the X and move on with your life Drama hound.

Because this is a forum. The whole point of coming here is to discuss topics, serious and frivolous with everything in between.

dorkimoe

It's stupid as fuck sometimes but overall I liked it
Same
It's a shitty list, but the OA is one of the best shows on Netflix (though certainly not top-ten-all-time). It's a serious shame that it was cancelled.

And, just because it annoys me when people post this .gif, they explicitly mention how stupid the movements are NUMEROUS times. The stupidity of the movements is a significant part of the plot.
Unless the argument is that multiple dimensions and time travel and whatnot are stupid, in which case that puts OA on the same level as pretty much any sci-fi ever made.
Yup. besides the movements the show is absolutely incredible. I wont ever forgive netflix for canceling it, she said she had 5 seasons written, and i really want to see more.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
top 10, no order except #1

1. Rome
2. The Wire
3. peep show
4. arrested development
5. true detectives S1
6. office uk
7. always sunny
8. band of brothers
9. Chernobyl
10. house of cards S1

fatmarco

top 10, no order except #1

1. Rome
2. The Wire
3. peep show
4. arrested development
5. true detectives S1
6. office uk
7. always sunny
8. band of brothers
9. Chernobyl
10. house of cards S1

As much as I love Rome, I don't think you can't call it the best of all time just purely because the show was compromised by being forced to wrap up early with all its story lines being compressed into like, the 5 remaining episodes.

That being said, I think it deserves a lot of credit for doing the best job of showing an uncompromising look at a historical culture(even if it overemphasizes a lot of the sexuality and mis-characterises a lot of the figures for drama) and not being afraid of making a contemporary viewer feel uncomfortable.

At least The OA got in the top 10!

That show was really something special.

I think it will have legs like Twin Peaks where people will still be talking about it 30 years later.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
No Married with Children? Fuck this list to hell. That show is iconic. Fire the whole staff.
No Vikings is also disappointing.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Also... Not a single anime could crack the top 100 according to them? Not even Bebop? Worst list ever confirmed.

Top Bottom