• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the best JRPG Main Theme ever made?

lachesis

There are so many Falcom games out there with GOAT main themes...

but as per the classical opening score/movie - original Grandia is also top tier.

This boyish, adventurous just hits the spot for me. Reminds me of the good old feeling for Ghibli or Gainax (Nadia days) feel.

I also like DQ opening theme. (Not the composer, but the theme's good. Puts me into the mood for some adventure too)

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member

Joe Hisaishi brought his A game. His work plays a huge part in delivering that Studio Ghibli feel.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Once again it appears the forum is filled with JRPG players that have never played the Ar Tonelico series...

A game that's main mechanic is that people sing to cast magic, has its entire own language created just for the series for them to sing, and has one of the greatest OST's of all time as each major spell essentially has its own song.

Naturally the opening is fantastic, there is a reason that despite being a PS2 game the whole thing supports Dolby Pro Logic II (cutting edge at the time)

I am yet to meet a soundtrack that comes close to the second entry.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Once again it appears the forum is filled with JRPG players that have never played the Ar Tonelico series...

A game that's main mechanic is that people sing to cast magic, has its entire own language created just for the series for them to sing, and has one of the greatest OST's of all time as each major spell essentially has its own song.

Naturally the opening is fantastic, there is a reason that despite being a PS2 game the whole thing supports Dolby Pro Logic II (cutting edge at the time)

Finally found another Ar tonelico player. My avatar is from Ar tonelico lol

I cried a little at the ending of Ar tonelico 3, so great making it a opening medley of the trilogy

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Never really thought of it, but XCX does have the best main theme.

Also probably the best overall OST of a JRPG in the last decade.

Last edited:

Shifty

ITT: Facemelters all, you can't go wrong.

However, we're nearly 30 posts in, 5 of which are Final Fantasy, and nobody's posted the Prelude.

I held off on pressing start for five straight minutes when FF7R arrived for the sake of basking in this. Simply sublime.

I recognize the name, but I think this is the first time I've actually seen the series in the wild. That intro makes a strong case for it - is it a series best started at 1, or is it a FF standalone type of proposition?

Also, not JRPG by any means, but the distinctive vocal style reminds me of the made up pseudo latin singing in Beyond The Bounds from Zone of the Enders 2.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

It's this.

Edit: sorry, I read that as opening. Havent had ten coffees yet.

..But, it's still this.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

However, we're nearly 30 posts in, 5 of which are Final Fantasy, and nobody's posted the Prelude.

I held off on pressing start for five straight minutes when FF7R arrived for the sake of basking in this. Simply sublime.

I recognize the name, but I think this is the first time I've actually seen the series in the wild. That intro makes a strong case for it - is it a series best started at 1, or is it a FF standalone type of proposition?

Also, not JRPG by any means, but the distinctive vocal style reminds me of the made up pseudo latin singing in Beyond The Bounds from Zone of the Enders 2.

Each game have different cast and settings. It loosely connected. Not just the opening, in the game you also hear many great songs while battling

my personal favorite from Ar tonelico 1

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

As some one else mentioned they are loosely connected with a few characters crossing over which certainly can put a smile on your face when it happens, I see no reason not to start with one even if the second entry is my personal favorite.

One important thing to note when playing the second entry though, for some reason NIS America decided to make one of the worst loclaisation jobs of all time, replacing dialog with sexual innuendo and memes to try and make it "appeal" more to the western audience, they even managed to break the game introducing hard and soft locks to the game when removing over half the Japanese voice acting to make room for there terrible Dub.

Would well recommend playing with the Project Metafalica patch if you do indeed give them a go, it's a dramatic improvement and while the original was one of my favorite games of the era, I fell in love with the world when replaying it with the patch, it's such a dramatic improvement and returns it to the intent of the Japenese original with full Japanese voice acting restored and the actual lines of text matching what is spoken.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Each game have different cast and settings. It loosely connected. Not just the opening, in the game you also hear many great songs while battling

my personal favorite from Ar tonelico 1

While the primary vocal tracks for the executables are all fantastic, sometimes I still find myself just listening to some of the shorter background area tracks which normally just repeat for a zone.

In a normal game you might have one or two good ones as normally there not a focus but to just help each area feel unique, but there's like 40 of the damn things in this and they all stand out, I can't remember anouther series that manages that

Aometimes you just need a little bathing time, best leveling mechanic in a game ever made.

But I think it filled up this topic about how Great Ar Tonelico is, give some other people a chance to talk about their picks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom