• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this One of the worst videogame articles ever published?

Marvel14

Banned
Not that I'd want to defend anything Kotaku does, but I don't think the concept of accidental trolling is really a problem.

Calling it accidental acknowledges that it wasn't intentional. The audience could feel like they were trolled, even though Shigs didn't intend that.

I'm OK with the turn of phrase. The article itself didn't need to exist, but that's true of mostly everything on the internet.

It is literally a contradiction in terms:

2a : to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content

What you're saying doesn't even make sense the other way. For people to feel trolled they have to believe the person is doing it deliberately.

It's like saying "peaceful massacre" or "sane lunatic" or "joyful depression".

It sounds poetic, I'll give you that...but it doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
This post gave me AIDS
Are you death naming her? Not cool brah.
If words could kill
Mm6iycY.gif

Marvel14

Banned
Does he work for facebook?

meta
/ˈmɛtə/
noun
short for meta key.
adjective US
(of a creative work) referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential.
"the enterprise is inherently ‘meta’, since it doesn't review movies, for example, it reviews the reviewers who review movies"

GymWolf

meta
/ˈmɛtə/
noun
short for meta key.
adjective US
(of a creative work) referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential.
"the enterprise is inherently ‘meta’, since it doesn't review movies, for example, it reviews the reviewers who review movies"
It was a joke:messenger_pensive:
Facebook-Meta.jpg

Wildebeest

It's pretty bad. Like a music critic who complains about bands not only playing their biggest hits. How dare these creators take any pride in their own work.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
My sweet lord, she is still employed by them? LOL. She's like a worst gaming article machine.

Most game writers seem to be freelancers selling their shitty articles they write for probably $60. To make a living they got to churn out endless content hoping the site (or sites) they work for upload it. I have a hard time believing many video game writers are on a good salary.

I know you pointed out she was a staff writer at one point but...

She's not just any regular writer she's the current Editor in Chief.

Last edited:

Aenima

Do you know when you buy an album and its like a best off, that comes with popular musics from various artits? Kotaku is the same but for shitty gaming related articles.

BlackTron

I had spent so much time completely avoiding Kotaku, I had lost touch with just how completely disconnected it is from ANYTHING that makes sense. Thanks for the reminder?

Majukun

well nintendo definitely used him as bait to promote some secondary stuff using the attention he automatically gets when he is on stage.

but for the rest, while i don't like pikmin, pikmin 4 is as big as a game as anything else.

To be fair, their job is to deliver news but try to make a snappy headline, so with her editor or maybe their entire editorial team, they slapped this headline together to try and make a splash to get people to click.

In the way that most people use the term "troll" nowadays, talking about Pikmin Bloom and theme park openings for 5 minutes and making a lot of people think you might not be delivering actual news that anyone would want while watching the first general Direct in 9 months, I don't think it's really a big deal.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
To be fair, their job is to deliver news but try to make a snappy headline, so with her editor or maybe their entire editorial team, they slapped this headline together to try and make a splash to get people to click.

In the way that most people use the term "troll" nowadays, talking about Pikmin Bloom and theme park openings for 5 minutes and making a lot of people think you might not be delivering actual news that anyone would want while watching the first general Direct in 9 months, I don't think it's really a big deal.
Hi Patricia....How's it going over there? 🙃

I don’t even blame modern K*ta*u. Modern news is essentially just Gawker style news but clipped to fit in a tweet or Facebook post. Which means a good majority of it will be easy to consume trash like this.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Kotaku used to be good, then started to fall apart with the last straw being with Tim Rogers and Chris Person (Highlight Reel) leaving them

coffinbirth

I know you pointed out she was a staff writer at one point but...

[/URL][/URL]

She's not just any regular writer she's the current Editor in Chief.
Ahhhhhhhh, I actually blocked that out of my brain. Totilo leaving was certainly it's deathblow, not that there was much to it worth mentioning the last bunch of years.
Brian Crecente he was not, and allowed for all the clickbait woke dogshit to infest Kotaku.

R.I.P. Bunnyspatial

Last edited:
Top Bottom