• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any games like LAIR but good?

nashman

Older 3rd person flight shooters? Rogue squadron N64, Crimson Skys Xbox, Panzer dragon orta Sega(more of a shooter than flyer- but dragons like Liar).

bender

What time is it?
Drakan_-_The_Ancients%27_Gates_Coverart.png

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Drakengard 3? I really don’t know.
I LOVE the game but it not game you should be playing if you want good dragon riding game.

Drakengard 3 is ONLY good for people who crazy die hard fan of Drakengard/Nier series and no one else.

Neilg

I have never understood the appeal of games that control like this / where you ride something and shoot stuff. They're half on rails and half in control, feels like playing time crisis with a controller.

Last edited:

cireza

Play the Panzer Dragoon series is you like dragons. Nothing beats it. Orta is available in 4K@60fps on Xbox, timeless masterpiece. Same as Zwei and Saga, both stuck on Saturn though.

There is also Crimson Dragon on Xbox, but this is not as good.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t think anything’s really like Lair.

Could’ve been something special, if not for the shitty forced control scheme.

Play the Panzer Dragoon series is you like dragons. Nothing beats it. Orta is available in 4K@60fps on Xbox, timeless masterpiece. Same as Zwei and Saga, both stuck on Saturn though.

There is also Crimson Dragon on Xbox, but this is not as good.
Orta is the best. It was my fav game on the original Xbox.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It wasn't just about the sixaxis controls. They patched the normal analog controls in later and the game was still pretty shit. It runs absolutely terrible on PS3. The biggest tragedy is that it was a game that essentially killed Factor 5.

If you want a better game made by these guys then play Rogue Squadron 2.

peronmls

I LOVE the game but it not game you should be playing if you want good dragon riding game.

Drakengard 3 is ONLY good for people who crazy die hard fan of Drakengard/Nier series and no one else.
The story is weird and absurd. I’m only recommending the dragon flying part and the combat.

peronmls

I was a massive LAIR defender back in the day... It was the first game my cousin worked on so I had a LAIR t-shirt and beat the game multiple times. Maybe I'm the only person in the whole world who beat that shit?

As for similar games without fucked controls, I played the shit out of this one

Star_Wars_Battle_for_Naboo_Nintendo64.jpg
I just bought lair. I was gonna play it once it’s playable on rpcs3.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Lair was bad, flawed, weird, and way too ambitious for the hardware... but a pretty good idea.

This is the sort of game that should be remade, not 10/10 masterpieces that everyone loves and are still widely played today.

LAIR on PS3 was pure industry genius why did they break the game with sixaxis and designs what other games are like this but good my friends?

I just bought this game complete in box for $5.99. Pretty excited to play it. I can usually handle shitty controls and jank better than most people.

I was a massive LAIR defender back in the day... It was the first game my cousin worked on so I had a LAIR t-shirt and beat the game multiple times. Maybe I'm the only person in the whole world who beat that shit?

As for similar games without fucked controls, I played the shit out of this one

Star_Wars_Battle_for_Naboo_Nintendo64.jpg
Dude can you find me a T-shirt please. That would honestly be so sick to have haha.

Gandih42

Dude can you find me a T-shirt please. That would honestly be so sick to have haha.
Best I can do for you is this very old picture of me wearing it (mid vodka shot even). It's a pretty cool t-shirt actually, now that I'm seeing it again.

d8K6wZ2.jpg

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Isn't that essentially Ace Combat ? Ace Combat 7 is pretty good if you're looking strictly for a flight combat game.

Lair and Haze were the "Xbox is DOA" games back then. Sony was just making so many bad decisions too fast back then and the reactions were priceless.

I think sixaxis was arguably the biggest mistake Sony made, at least they should have made it options with some key games later instead of forcing it as the primary control method. Screw heavy Rain and those early Six Axis controllers that barely worked and couldn't handle the game.

Didn't it get an update with normal controls?

It did. I meant to play it after that, but never got around to it. Always some other game to play instead.

It's interesting because Sony basically forced Factor 5 to implement SIXAXIS controls because there were no other games using it. Total disaster, thanks Sony.

Top Bottom