• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a modern console game like Third World War (Sega CD)?

buizel

Banned
383257-third-world-war-sega-cd-screenshot-title-screen.png
383260-third-world-war-sega-cd-screenshot-mission-briefing.png

Finally sat down and played third world war on the sega cd last night, reminded me of that airport sim game on the snes.

383263-third-world-war-sega-cd-screenshot-the-military-menu.png
383268-third-world-war-sega-cd-screenshot-your-advisor.png

"As the leader of one of 16 nations, your ultimate goal is none other than world domination. To accomplish this you have a multitude of options ranging from raw military might, diplomacy, foreign or domestic investment policy, aiding terrorists or revolutionaries, to media manipulation. In other words, it's just like the real world."

383269-third-world-war-sega-cd-screenshot-a-corruption-scandal.png
383261-third-world-war-sega-cd-screenshot-random-events.png

I kinda groaned at the start cause it looked like nobunagas ambition or whatever romance of the 3 kingdoms, and looked too confusing at first on what long time strategies would play off. You set budgets for things and invest in war & terror, spies, media manipulation, weapons, armies, treaties, diplomacies etc etc.

So I just started nuking every others country and deploying units to take over canada (i started as US). I did a bit of media manipulation but my public approval rating went to 1% because i was just firing off nukes left and right LOL

383267-third-world-war-sega-cd-screenshot-cruise-missiles-might-be.png
383275-third-world-war-sega-cd-screenshot-firing-at-the-canadian.png

At that point it turned into a kinda basic RTS where you could command your units individually or all together (easier) to attack buildings/units etc, as well as call in air and naval support. Was pretty fun the 2nd time when i got the hang of it. Visually it looks like a-train, simcity, transport tycoon- and is very nice to look at! Though theres an upbeat US anthem (whatever its called) playing in the background and is sorta unfitting, kinda. I assume each country you play as has a different nation anthem that'll play during the RTS invading sections.

When you invade different places it takes into account the regions (such as being icey, or desert-y, or grassy) and all your troops and soliders and forces you've trained, bought and deployed etc.

The music was OK at best, but you can disable it and play whatever. It's okay, but its no Masters of Monsters soundtrack.

Really suprised at how much I enjoyed this game and how fun it is to nuke france and whoever else; the game only goes into RTS mode when you invade a country with troops and then you take over that country. World goal: world domination through any means. i.e go nukes ( i just couldnt help resorting to nukes ..)

Deffo check the game out, heres a duck duck go search result - https://is.gd/PzILYL

Oh I forgot to mention; theres 5 campaigns each with different voiced intros - and there are lots of voice clips and some small FMV throughout. Which is fun

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
Awesome write-up!

Thanks! It's quite a small write up I guess.

I'm just suprised by how much I enjoyed this game, and I was suprised when I started RTS'ing it up. The games not as complicated as what I first thought and I love the art style. Not sure if I missed a bit but this game would be really fun 2player as a co-op mission.

Sega CD games remind me of like early Windows titles in their visual representation.

mcz117chief

Impressive game! Haven't seen anything this complex on consoles for sure, even on PC there are but a few (Shadow Empire maybe).

buizel

Banned
Impressive game! Haven't seen anything this complex on consoles for sure, even on PC there are but a few (Shadow Empire maybe).

Yeah it reminded me of Plague INC, though that might just be the world map. Various events like viruses and revolutions can happen which means you have to react appropriately.

For some reason I was just casually enjoying the game but when I fired nukes, russia fired back, and civilian uprising started happening and i was kinda impressed lol. Does feel a bit like Airrport snes game with buying planes and the map and that. I did try playing the old NES nobunagas ambitions but that was a bit beyond me, looked kinda confusing - but somehow i managed to get the hang of this.

Really fun game, looking to find Sega CD oddities - Sherlock Holmes is next on my list for a playthrough, what I played I really enoyed! Reminds me of the Her Story game on Steam so far; you just choose a place/person to go to/research about/send spies on; and from then on it's up to you. Looks like youd need a real notepad handy which is fun, last game I had to do that for was kings quest on master system

cireza

Banned
You can check Dark Wizard if you want. It is a great game, but requires a lot of time. I haven't played it myself, I own it though. But I have read some great praise about it, and as you seem to know about Master of Monsters (awesome game, awesome sound track), I think you would like Dark Wizard.

Give Dune a try if you haven't. Great game. There is also Wing Commander and Snatcher. Eye of the Beholder is very good too.

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
You can check Dark Wizard if you want. It is a great game, but requires a lot of time. I haven't played it myself, I own it though. But I have read some great praise about it, and as you seem to know about Master of Monsters (awesome game, awesome sound track), I think you would like Dark Wizard.

Give Dune a try if you haven't. Great game. There is also Wing Commander and Snatcher. Eye of the Beholder is very good too.

Wing Commander on Sega CD is great! AYY LADDIE MAH NAMES HAGGIS or w/ever, probably best version?

Snatcher is probably my fave sega CD game - never completed it (not sure how far I even got - got to the 'black market' in the city)

Eye of the beholder.. is a funny one. Correct me if im wrong but didnt they make the soundtrack some random thumping house/techno for the Sega CD version? Very out of place in my books and kinda takes me out, if im remembering right.

Dune I havent really any much time into - I loved the Dune RTS on Mega Drive but I know the CD one is a point n click kinda?

Dark Wizard I will have to check out - theres about 500 Sega CD games and so many fly under the radar. Third World War would be my most likely choice of a game i WOULDNT enjoy but totally the opposite it turns out .

Hnjohngalt

If you want something simliar and more modern play this. Its on steam. I prefer Superpower 2 over 1. It lacks some of the RTS designs yet the other info and espionage options make up for that.

cireza

Banned
Wing Commander on Sega CD is great! AYY LADDIE MAH NAMES HAGGIS or w/ever, probably best version?

Snatcher is probably my fave sega CD game - never completed it (not sure how far I even got - got to the 'black market' in the city)

Eye of the beholder.. is a funny one. Correct me if im wrong but didnt they make the soundtrack some random thumping house/techno for the Sega CD version? Very out of place in my books and kinda takes me out, if im remembering right.

Dune I havent really any much time into - I loved the Dune RTS on Mega Drive but I know the CD one is a point n click kinda?

Dark Wizard I will have to check out - theres about 500 Sega CD games and so many fly under the radar. Third World War would be my most likely choice of a game i WOULDNT enjoy but totally the opposite it turns out .
Eye of the Beholder has a techno soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro indeed. I like it.

Dune is an adventure game, you can consider it point and click. It has quite a bit of unit management to do.

intbal

Liberty or Death (DOS/SNES/Genesis).
Though you said you couldn't get into Nobunaga's Ambition (a personal favorite of mine). And LoD is more of the same.

There was a fantastic old indie game on Mac in the 90s called Medieval Empires that I used to play in the computers in the Chemistry Lab in between classes. We only had the demo, but it was pretty great. It's this same type of territory conquering game. If you want to mess with emulation, here's a link for it (abandonware now). I might even give it a go myself.

Add: I see I failed to answer your question, since you wanted modern console games. Other than the recent Nobunaga/Romance titles, I don't know of anything that fits. Age of Wonders: Planetfall, maybe?

Last edited:

Hnjohngalt

Liberty or Death (DOS/SNES/Genesis).
Though you said you couldn't get into Nobunaga's Ambition (a personal favorite of mine). And LoD is more of the same.

There was a fantastic old indie game on Mac in the 90s called Medieval Empires that I used to play in the computers in the Chemistry Lab in between classes. We only had the demo, but it was pretty great. It's this same type of territory conquering game. If you want to mess with emulation, here's a link for it (abandonware now). I might even give it a go myself.

Add: I see I failed to answer your question, since you wanted modern console games. Other than the recent Nobunaga/Romance titles, I don't know of anything that fits. Age of Wonders: Planetfall, maybe?
I would also look into Gemfire Snes/Genesis also. Its a simpler fantasy version. Also Fantasy General II just released on Ps4 and a remake of North and South which are quick strat conquer games to look into.

Hnjohngalt

I also would like to add this game Brigandine has some elements too of strat and conquer that is pretty cool and just came out. Its on Switch and Ps4.

I feel like developers have less imagination than they used to.
Could you imagine what a realization of a game like this would be like with today's technological capabilities?

It's not that. It's more about how expensive AAA games cost these days, that publishers are much less risk adverse.

We still get super creative and new ideas, but they mostly come from indie developers or lower-budget games.

buizel

Banned
Eye of the Beholder has a techno soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro indeed. I like it.

Dune is an adventure game, you can consider it point and click. It has quite a bit of unit management to do.

Yeh alot of people do like the soundtrack i think, just for me it doesnt fit a dungeon crawling experience.

cireza

Banned
I also would like to add this game Brigandine has some elements too of strat and conquer that is pretty cool and just came out. Its on Switch and Ps4.

Thanks for mentioning Brigandine, it is an awesome game.

I suggest reading the official thread I have created some time ago, I posted my progress regularly until completion.

buizel

Banned

I think I like the real world political aspect of it all. And the news reports every so often that have a fun event.

I think Tropico did something similar? Maybe, never got past the tutorials. I thought it was a Dictatorship Sim where as you play someone building resorts to fund the crime?

If they could hack the game and add like multiplayer online, would be pretty awesome. You could 'open lines' to communicate with another country (player) and make fun tactics.

Never even heard of this game 'till today but I will give it a look sometime. The write-up makes it sound pretty interesting, though RTS isn't usually a genre I'm into. The idea of starting WW3 is immensely appealing though which probably says something about me I don't wanna admit :pie_roffles:

buizel

Banned
Never even heard of this game 'till today but I will give it a look sometime. The write-up makes it sound pretty interesting, though RTS isn't usually a genre I'm into. The idea of starting WW3 is immensely appealing though which probably says something about me I don't wanna admit :pie_roffles:

Well it only goes RTS when you invade other countries with troops - you can avoid that I guess and win in a diplomatic way instead of all out war!

It's very basic, I literally just click one unit - then send [send all] to where enemy is.
Then I watch. Activate a few powerups and boom - win.

I only invaded a few countries, wasnt too challenging - but of course the public hates me for starting wars with everyone so it can make it trickier in that respect.

Try playing it and see how long it takes you to activate a nuke. You get 4 actions per turn, and you have a budget each turn, so can think strategicially.

Top Bottom