• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a good HD cable for PS2?

Miles708

Hello, I'd like to dust off my PS2 and use it on my tv. The tv is a 5 years old regular full HD boring television.

Except high-end solutions like frameister and similar, what are the commonly considered good cables fur hD on ps2?

I see on Amazon the prices range from 20 bucks onwards, but I would need some pointers on cable specifications and brands, hopefully without spending too much.

What are your suggestions and experiences, good people?

HE1NZ

Banned
What do you mean HD cables? PS2 supports component at best, original PS2/PS3 component cables shouldn't be that hard to track. Then you'll need a converter to HDMI if you want to play on modern TV. I use RetroTink for that.

What do you mean HD cables? PS2 supports component at best, original PS2/PS3 component cables shouldn't be that hard to track. Then you'll need a converter to HDMI if you want to play on modern TV. I use RetroTink for that.
How's the result?

HOSKINGJ

Neo Member
If you don’t need 480p, RAD2X PlayStation cable is hands down the winner. I use an OSSC which has been amazing, Retrotink is excellent if you want something a little cheaper.

DO NOT USE any generic anything on Amazon etc, their sadly simply is no “magic“ way around. For a decent picture, you basically have to cough up £50-130-ish. RetroRGB has brilliant videos on the subject along with MLiG

The Pound HDMI converter has solid RGB output for both PS1 and PS2 games. The Kaico HDMI converter offers RGB and Component out for actual 480p but is only compatible with PS2 games. It is overall a little better than the Pound unit if you don't care about PS1 titles.

Both offer good value for the money.

If your TV and/or receiver has component inputs then another option is to go with a PS2 component cable. I'm not sure if the old Monster brand is still available new but shouldn't be too expensive to find a good used one on eBay.

HE1NZ

Banned
The thing about cheap HDMI converters is that while image looks fine they add a ton of input lag. PS2 games are mostly 480i so any kind of deinterlacing adds input lag. I've been playing PS2 for years with it, thinking that PS2 games are just sluggish by nature, until I learned the TV scaler add input lag.

Lucky8BB

Banned
I'm wondering if people would be interested in disscusion about progressive scan mode on old 6'th gen consoles like PS2 and xbox. For many years I was using CRT to play these old games, but now I have bought component cables and I was really surprised by the results. I have already made photo comparisons (between 480i vs 480p), and I also compared 480p on PS2 and xbox.

Top Bottom