• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Xbox cross gen policy a myth? Only major 1st party game still coming to all platforms is Halo Infinite

Dory16

Banned
Source: https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/23/21335984/microsoft-xbox-series-x-exclusive-next-gen-promise
Let's note that it being a myth would also mean that games being held back by the One S are a myth. But then why all the fuss from Phil about we won't force you to upgrade?

Initially, Microsoft sent us this dodgy reply:

Our future Xbox Game Studios titles are being developed natively for Xbox Series X. We will continue to invest in tools for devs to scale across consoles. Which consoles each Studio/game can support will be based on what’s best for their game and their community at launch,” reads Microsoft’s statement to The Verge.

And when we asked Microsoft point-blank, yes or no, whether it’s still committed to the promise and whether the title cards were inaccurate, the company wouldn’t say. It pointed us to this tweet from Xbox marketing boss Aaron Greenberg, which doesn’t make things any clearer:

For a moment, it did seem like maybe the title cards were incorrect, because shortly after publication of this story, we saw that Avowed’s new website does include a mention of the Xbox One, as does a project page that mentions As Dusk Falls, and a site for Everwild.

But then, Greenberg replied to a question by Kotaku’s Stephen Totilo to say that the websites would soon be updated — suggesting that it was the websites, not the presentation, that was wrong.

Sure enough, as of 7PM ET, the Avowed and Everwild websites no longer list Xbox One. Clearly, Microsoft no longer wants to promise that its first wave of first-party games will actually make their way to earlier Xbox One consoles.

Here’s the full list of games that Microsoft showcased today, sorted by the consoles that their title cards said they’d support:

XBOX SERIES X / WINDOWS PC
  • State of Decay 3 - optimized for Series X, first party
  • Forza Motorsport - optimized for Series X, first party
  • Fable - optimized for Series X, first party
  • Avowed - optimized for Series X, first party
  • As Dusk Falls - optimized for Series X, first party
  • Everwild - optimized for Series X, first party
  • Stalker 2 - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive
  • Warhammer 40,000 Darktide - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive
  • The Medium - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive
XBOX SERIES X / XBOX ONE / WINDOWS PC
  • Halo Infinite - optimized for Series X, will also have optimizations for PC
  • Tell Me Why
  • Grounded - optimized for Series X
  • Psychonauts 2 - optimized for Series X
  • Destiny 2 Beyond Light - optimized for Series X
  • Tetris Effect Connected - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive
  • The Gunk - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive
  • New Genesis Phantasy Star Online 2 - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive
XBOX SERIES X / XBOX ONE
  • CrossfireX - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive

😂 yeah Microsoft isn’t dumb the only stupid thing they’ve done is not have infinite be built for pc and series x only. Tying it to Xbox one was a dumb decision.

hyperbertha

None of those games are coming out any time soon, or exclusive to Xbox. The one game that is, is coming out on Xbox one.

Dory16

Banned
None of those games are coming out any time soon, or exclusive to Xbox. The one game that is, is coming out on Xbox one.
That would align with the content of the trailers that were shown. There's no way that Avowed and Fable are less than 2 years away. 2023 would be my guess.

Leyasu

Banned
Don’t forget pyschonauts or whatever it is called

It is clear that they don’t have much for this year and next. That is why they money hatted all those console launch exclusive gamepass games.

Last edited:
Can't have cross-gen exclusives if the exclusives don't exist

L5UciKU.jpg

RCU005

God, how I hate those stupid phrases Microsoft invents: "Console launch exclusive" what the hell does that mean?
Literally, it means that the game will be exclusive at the console's launch. But many of those games won't even come out at launch! So why did they decide to call it that?! Why not just console exclusive? or just time exclusive to Xbox? or just First on Xbox, like PlayStation does it? Why do they do this confusing messaging?!! It's so annoying! /rant!

Xbox Series X / PC category could still have those games coming to Xbox One, but haven't been confirmed yet. Like Greenberg said (I also hate this guy - he is the worst PR guy of any company): The games are built for XSX, but they can still come to Xbox One. Or maybe all games are implied to work on Xbox One too? (at least first party)

In conclusion, Microsoft is just making a mess of things that should be so simple! Their messaging is confusing.
Many people will think that since an Xbox Series X game works on Xbox One, all of them do? IDK, it just sucks!

Sony is doing it very easy with the PS5: PS5 games work on PS5. Simple!

God, how I hate those stupid phrases Microsoft invents: "Console launch exclusive" what the hell does that mean?

It means those are TIMED exclusives that will come to PS5 on a later date, as simple as that...

But they make it sound different to make them look like REAL exclusives......

Freeman

Banned
At this point you have to ask if Xbox games are a myth.

Literally, it means that the game will be exclusive at the console's launch. But many of those games won't even come out at launch! So why did they decide to call it that?! Why not just console exclusive? or just time exclusive to Xbox? or just First on Xbox, like PlayStation does it? Why do they do this confusing messaging?!! It's so annoying! /rant!

Xbox Series X / PC category could still have those games coming to Xbox One, but haven't been confirmed yet. Like Greenberg said (I also hate this guy - he is the worst PR guy of any company): The games are built for XSX, but they can still come to Xbox One. Or maybe all games are implied to work on Xbox One too? (at least first party)

In conclusion, Microsoft is just making a mess of things that should be so simple! Their messaging is confusing.
Many people will think that since an Xbox Series X game works on Xbox One, all of them do? IDK, it just sucks!

Sony is doing it very easy with the PS5: PS5 games work on PS5. Simple!
"World Premier - Console Launch Exclusive - Developed first, Optimized and Smart delivered for Xbox Series X - Native 4K / HDR"

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
MS chats shit on a regular basis.

I don't think they have any idea what exactly is going on over there. They definitely enjoy some mushrooms over at Redmond (me too, no judgement).

PSlayer

This is really confusing. I know that people here are tech savy but do MS really expect normal people to know which console is which with this naming scheme?

splattered

You guys act like Sony didn't just do the exact same thing... spiderman and ratchet and a couple small titles like sackboy and astro.

Otherwise both companies are lacking on 1st party launch titles and are in the exact same boat.

Grinchy

Banned
It was already obvious to anyone who wasn't a die-hard Xbox fan. I've been laughing about it since the day they first released this brilliant PR statement and got their flock preaching about how "every game is scalable."

They painted up the bad news that they didn't have first party next-gen software ready for quite a while and fans ate it up. Everyone else saw through it.

Top Bottom