• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS5 Sony's most pro-consumer designed console ever? Poll <-----

Do you think the PS5 is Sony's most pro-consumer designed console ever?

• Total voters

geordiemp

It's a Sony-led move and it's irrelevant when we're discussing PS5 Vs PS1-4.

The PS5 games are more expensive, thusly less pro-consummer.

Backseat modding, think you own the fucking forum now, eh?

Report me and move on.

Language, there is no need to be agressive, play nice.

I was defending his legitimate post about 3rd party games.

Bryank75

Banned
In design terms I think it is a very sexy console but I am partial to curves....

I still think they put function over form, it's big but it's still smart... the fan (replaceable), imagine the possibilities!

The stand is included.... sure they could have squared off a side or two and made it look more like every other console but they didn't, they made sure we had something different.

The wings are incredibly smart as they put a cushion of air between the center (where the heat is) and the parts where you will most likely touch. It also obviously allows for airflow and customization, which means if you do not like the curves you can put straight wings on to make it more usual looking.

Having so many USB 3.1 slots is really great cause it offers lots of options at lightning fast speeds too.

The amount of software included is really impressive too... Astrobot, PS+ collection and a really comprehensive backwards compatible catalog.... as well as lots of free upgrades. So you are guaranteed to have loads to play at launch.

It is a massive step up from PS4 launch, a really competitive unit with loads to offer anyone.

It's a Sony-led move and it's irrelevant when we're discussing PS5 Vs PS1-4.

You mean next gen games are more expensive in general and both systems manufacturers allow the prices to reach that high.

Again same price on both.

EgXkn_vX0AcJg0i.jpg

Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War' Priced At $69.99 For New Consoles, Signaling Potential Price Change For Other Next-Gen Games

Last edited:

yurinka

PS5 will also feature better Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and USB versions than all the other consoles, which will help in several ways the consomers not only with the new PS5 games, but also with the BC ones.

This also will not only help the new PS5, but also BC games, because they will allow you to use external USB storage to store or copy PS4+PSVR in addition to their save data.

You'll be able to copy them from a PS4 to PS5 via wifi too, or to play online BC via a better wifi than in PS4 or PS5.

Having 3 USB-A available ports also allowed them to make the PS4 accesories like driving wheels, arcade sticks or headsets (USB or via 3.5 jack) compatible to use them on PS5.

Sony announced they were increasing the price of their games. Microsoft haven't actually responded, but, when they do it will be in response to Sony. So it's Sony led.
Well, we'll need to wait for a while to know it, because seems that the first next gen only AAA (I think outside NBA2K21 these are the ones who increased their prices from Gearbox and Sony) from MS won't be released soon.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

PS3 allowed you to install a separate OS on it ffs. You ain’t beating that for pro consumer. It also offered an incredible assortment of tech for the time that rivalled what was being offered in the PC space. Shame about the price and complexity of the hardware.

Sony announced they were increasing the price of their games. Microsoft haven't actually responded, but, when they do it will be in response to Sony. So it's Sony led.

Wasn't Activision the first ones to announce the price increase?

Wouldn't it be Activision led then?

Sony announced some of their games were increasing in price (not all). The first on the scene to push that bandwagon were third party publishers in Activision and Take-Two, not Sony. Maybe by 2021 when Microsoft releases a AAA exclusive worthy of that pricing we will know MS's response as it pertains to them. Microsoft will however allow that pricing on their ecosystem - which they could easily demand not to. But when it comes to MS studio released games....it requires releasing AAA exclusives in the first place. It's not Sony-led, it's industry wide.

Last edited:
Wasn't Activision the first ones to announce the price increase?

Wouldn't it be Activision led then?

Take Two announced before Activision, but that's irrelevant, if Sony had announced £60 then MS would follow suit. It's absolutely led by Sony.

Maybe by 2021 when Microsoft releases a AAA exclusive worthy of that pricing we will know MS's response as it pertains to them. Microsoft will however allow that pricing on their ecosystem - which they could easily demand not to. But when it comes to MS studio released games....it requires releasing AAA exclusives in the first place.

Nice, glad I caught you before your usual editing out of console warring.

Destruction All-stars, £70/€80, is AAA now? Ok.

Take Two announced before Activision, but that's irrelevant, if Sony had announced £60 then MS would follow suit. It's absolutely led by Sony.

Not really because Microsoft could always be the consumer friendly company and not increase their prices.

If Microsoft increases their price it's because they want to not because Sony made them.

Sounds like to me you're just using Sony as a scapegoat for changes in the industry.

Last edited:

We know little of that game. It's fully fledged with a single-player and multiplayer I can tell that much based on the info we got. Sackboy's Big Adventure is AAA and $60. You're wrong and have nothing to back it up. You're dismissing the third party moves which preceded Sony's to fit your argument. In other words, you're full of it. Moreover, no one forces a trillion dollar company to do anything. Specially one that doesn't mind losing billions on a division, subsidizing a subscription rental service. Lmao.

Last edited:
We know little of that game. It's fully fledged with a single-player and multiplayer I can tell that much based on the info we got. Sackboy's Big Adventure is AAA and $60. You're wrong and have nothing to back it up. You're dimissing the third party moves which preceded Sony's to fit your argument. In other words, you're full of it.

Not to mention Far Cry 6 is 60$ on the PS5. But if you're smart you would get the PS4 version for 50$ and upgrade it to the PS5 version for free.

Last edited:

Self

You must mean the ps3, other OS, media server capabilities, web browser, sd card support, external usb support, music player, movie player and back comp with all gens. so much shit was included. Felt like you had everything your living room would ever need

I agree, PS3 Fat Lady was 'king'.
But... no rumble at launch!!!
(still got one of these controllers).

Nevertheless, PS5 is on a very good way.

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
3 and 6 are big for me. the x having the expansion bay is so much nicer
I disagree, I much prefer being able to tuck storage expansion inside and forget about it. It’s like have a second HDD bay in a laptop or a desktop vs having a USB sticking out.

Besides, it does pose as a stealing risk, that the Xbox expansion is super easy to yank out for a $200+ device and you’ll probably not notice until you try to play games stored there. Microsoft would be wise in building an anti-theft system into it that you shouldn’t be able to format the drive without signing into the current owner’s account.

Those are definitely some nice hardware touches so I’ll give the win to Sony this gen on hardware.

Add in Game Pass, BC and cloud saves and MS wins.

Trying to compare to previous generations isn’t very meaningful imo.

Three

I would need to wait and see some of the features. For me that currently is the PS3. It introduced region free, usb memory, bluetooth headsets, and standard HDD.

We know little of that game. It's fully fledged with a single-player and multiplayer I can tell that much based on the info we got. Sackboy's Big Adventure is AAA and $60. You're wrong and have nothing to back it up. You're dimissing the third party moves which preceded Sony's to fit your argument. In other words, you're full of it. Moreover, no one forces a trillion dollar company to do anything. Specially one that doesn't mind losing billions on a division, subsidizing a subscription rental service. Lmao.

lol Ok.

PS5 games will still be more expensive and this thread is just another avenue for you to market the console, really. Glad you brought up Game Pass though, the most pro-consummer and all round best deal in gaming. Maybe the PS6 will have something similar and we can revisit this topic then.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nice, glad I caught you before your usual editing out of console warring.

I'm not aware of 2020 Xbox Series X|S AAA exclusives, do you have a list? I personally think 2021 when we start seeing Xbox AAA exclusives. Thanks in advance.

lol Ok.

PS5 games will still be more expensive and this thread is just another avenue for you to market the console, really. Glad you brought up Game Pass though, the most pro-consummer and all round best deal in gaming. Maybe the PS6 will have something similar and we can revisit this topic then.

Well the most similar thing to gamepass is PSNow especially since you can download PS4 games with it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well, having free game (Astrobot's Playroom), 99.97% PS4 support, free online gaming up to 20-players mode on COD without PS+, Fortnite and other free2play games are also free online without PS+, all those are wonderful pro-consumer moves from Sony.

So it's a Yes.

Roufianos

There are other things to take into consideration as well on the software side but they're bit outside the scope of the hardware itself like:
  • Astro's Playroom as packed-in game
  • PlayStation Plus Collection for new PS5 PS subscribers. If 7 or 14 day PS Plus Trials are included with the console, that's a lot of free and great games for everyone to try out Day One.
  • 4000+ BC titles
  • Free PSVR camera adaptor plug.

You missed out:

-£70, €80, $70 games
-Remasters hidden behind expensive ultimate editions
-Inferior backwards compatibility to Xbox
-Misleading marketing about 'believing in generations'

On the hardware front you also forgot PS4 controllers not working.

I mean, Sony have amazing games and a seemingly good box but they're a long way from being pro-consumer at the moment.

lol Ok.

Sony does have a digital rental service. It's called PlayStation Now - cheaper yearly and with a bigger library of games. It's however not the main selling point or focus of the console - clearly two different approaches. Your claim of Sony-led was troll bait and your reasoning behind it got destroyed. Enjoy Gamepass.

Last edited:

martino

It's as pro-consumer as Netflix.
Which I don't particularly consider pro-consumer. It's an a la carte rental subscription, nothing more.
what is pro cosumer IMO is pushing solutions offering the choice to do one or the other to get most of the latest content , streaming or downloading it all this on multiple platform including two of the most spread around the world.

FranXico

Sony does have a digital rental service. It's called PlayStation Now - cheaper yearly and with a bigger library of games. It's however not the main selling point or focus of the console - clearly two different approaches. Your claim of Sony-led was troll bait and you reasoning behind it got destroyed. Enjoy Gamepass.
A full year of PSNow happens to be quite a bit cheaper than GamePass Ultimate (which IIRC, you would need to choose if you want online multiplayer). PSNow includes online multiplayer for its games.

Having said that, neither of these services particularly interests me.

The best offer of digital games out there is GOG imho.

martino

A full year of PSNow happens to be quite a bit cheaper than GamePass Ultimate (which IIRC, you would need to choose if you want online multiplayer). PSNow includes online multiplayer for its games.

Having said that, neither of these services particularly interests me.

The best offer of digital games out there is GOG imho.
tenor.gif

I'm not aware of 2020 Xbox Series X|S AAA exclusives, do you have a list? I personally think 2021 when we start seeing Xbox AAA exclusives. Thanks in advance.

Did I get mentioned in the Next Gen/ SonyGAF safe space thread?

This isn't an Xbox thread Bo, I thought you came back from your ban a little more savvy than this.

Well the most similar thing to gamepass is PSNow especially since you can download PS4 games with it.

Get back to me when they start adding new games day-in-date to that.

Oh and PSNow still streams many of it's games, Game Pass is 100% download. But you knew that already.

Back on topic - no, PS5 isn't the most pro-consummer PlayStation we've seen so far. Yes - D Ghost makes these threads to shill.

Mr Hyde

It does seem like Sony has put a lot of effort into the PS5. So far I've loved everything I've seen. It feels like a lot of bang for your buck. The teardown was kinda surprising with all the neat hardware choices and how they've assembled it.

PS Plus seems to have gotten an overhaul too, with more value put towards it. I'm gonna sub either way because of Demon's Souls, but it's nice to have a great selection of games to try out on day 1. I hope Sony continues to improve PS Plus because it's kinda not worth it if you're mostly into single player games.

DualSense also looks to be of better build quality. Sturdier, longer lasting battery, and cool features such as haptic feedback. DS4 is complete shit so I'm extra happy that Sony addressed it and brought in a new revision.

PS5 seems like a hit in my book that's worth the money. The games are there and the hardware is there. Hopefully it's as good in real life as it is on paper. Can't wait till Nov. 19th.

This isn't an Xbox thread Bo, I thought you came back from your ban a little more savvy than this.

Get back to me when they start adding new games day-in-date to that.

Oh and PSNow still streams many of it's games, Game Pass is 100% download. But you knew that already.

Back on topic - no, PS5 isn't the most pro-consummer PlayStation we've seen so far. Yes - D Ghost makes these threads to shill.

Well you can download all the PS4 games if you want. And they do update the games for PSNow. It's not like it's the same selection as a year ago.

Lol WTF are these takes?? 3rd party clearly announced 70$ Games first and I really don’t know how anyone’s surprised by the price hike. Also, what would be the point of raising crossgen prices for Xbox with smart delivery exists? Wouldn’t you just buy the cheaper last gen version and get the next gen one anyway?

Gamepass is legit, PSNow has ALOT of potential, they just haven’t utilized it well. I use both for my modded arcade machine.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Not sure what disturbed you there, but I suggest you take it easy. I'm really not aware if there is a AAA XSX exclusive coming in 2020, but I guess I'll google it. Have a good day and chill.

EDIT: Nothing until 2021 as the source suggests, Halo so far.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Sony has proven generation after generation that it has an incredible variety with their portfolio of exclusive games and they have proven that they are commited to maintain that variety so honestly that's all the "pro-consumer" i care about from a gaming console.They also have amazing deals on their store (which i use for digital-only games) so that's more than enough.

I don't give a shit about rental services like PS+,PS Now,XBLG or Gamepass since i want to own my games physically and play them when I want to play them.

BC is always a plus but it's not a deal breaker if a console doesn't have it just like it wasn't a deal breaker with the PS4 as well. I'm a collector and i keep the older consoles i need all hooked up on dedicated tv setups so i'm fine if a console doesn't have BC.

Mr Hyde

I'm really not aware if there is a AAA XSX exclusive coming in 2020, but I guess I'll google it.

The Medium is Dec. 10th. Unsure of AAA-status, developer behind it has mostly done indie/AA, but it do look ambitious in scope, utilizing the SSD in a clever way, rendering two worlds at the same time.

Anyway, that's the only exclusive for Series X I can think of and to my knowledge it's a timed one as well. As first party goes there seems to be none.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The Medium is Dec. 10th. Unsure of AAA-status, developer behind it has mostly done indie/AA, but it do look ambitious in scope, utilizing the SSD in a clever way, rendering two worlds at the same time.

Anyway, that's the only exclusive for Series X I can think of and to my knowledge it's a timed one as well. As first party goes there seems to be none.

Thank you, but it's an indie game, or at least AA. It's confirmed to come this December. Surfing through the confirmed games, it seems Halo is the first AAA exclusive in 2021.

FranXico

I'm curious, how do you feel about paid online, which was absolutely led by Microsoft, even with their competition hesitating for a whole generation before following suit (mind you, except for free-to-play games)?
Do you somehow consider paid online multiplayer pro-consumer, or less anti-consumer than a games prices hike (even keeping in mind that physical copies drop in price over time)?

Can't you render two worlds at the same time without the SSD? It seems like they are doing it that way because the SSD isn't fast enough to just load a new world into the ram during gameplay. Their solution to that is to store the assets for both worlds in the ram to enable a quick transition.

Is this more or less how they are doing it?

PaintTinJr

I agree with a lot of this, but PS3 failed miserably at being pro developer. And that goes hand in hand with being pro consumer in a lot of ways. PS3s difficult development meant we got a lot of games that simply didn't take advantage of the system and were behind the 360 version
Only in the very early days were the SPUs unused - a lot of the "behind the 360" was false analysis by DF and contractual nerfing of features by publishers, not the hardware issue it was framed as. But even in the early days the PS3 had a 3.6Ghz 2-way CPU and high-end shader capable GPU with 32bit depth buffering and 1billion quads per second (IIRC) that was easy to use ala PC dev - which was far ahead of even a reasonable mid-range PC of the day.

I would add that the move to heterogeneous compute was unavoidable, and is no longer complained about - only in part because of better tooling and X1 joining the HSA crew - despite it being an everyday part of game development, now. PS3 unfairly got the blame for a paradigm shift - that was always going to be painful, but did so at the earliest time to provide consumers more bang-for-their-buck for the 7years of a generation. Under those circumstances is that really anti-developer? And by extension anti consumer?

Last edited:

FranXico

Can't you render two worlds at the same time without the SSD? It seems like they are doing it that way because the SSD isn't fast enough to just load a new world into the ram during gameplay. Their solution to that is to store the assets for both worlds in the ram to enable a quick transition.

Is this more or less how they are doing it?
You can render two worlds at the same time as long as all the data can be loaded into the RAM. The SSD isn't an essential requirement for that.
In fact, that game is a better showcase for the GPU than the SSD.

Mr Hyde

Can't you render two worlds at the same time without the SSD?

I have no idea but I don't think so. I just saw a video about the game showcasing it, and they mentioned the SSD capable of rendering two worlds simultaneously. And to my knowledge, it's the first time I see a game using a design choice like that. Either way, there is no need to downplay it, because it's a cool feature that's (as far as I know) never been used before.

FranXico

I have no idea but I don't think so. I just saw a video about the game showcasing it, and they mentioned the SSD capable of rendering two worlds simultaneously. And to my knowledge, it's the first time I see a game using a design choice like that. Either way, there is no need to downplay it, because it's a cool feature that's (as far as I know) never been used before.
The SSD only takes care of reading the data as fast as possible. Rendering only happens in the GPU.
In fact, a lot of people in this forum have been very adamant about reminding everyone that SSDs have nothing to do with graphics.

Anyway, enough with the off-topic from my part.

Top Bottom