• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS5 Sony's most pro-consumer designed console ever? Poll <-----

Do you think the PS5 is Sony's most pro-consumer designed console ever?

• Total voters
Now that the dust has settled there are lots of things to talk about regarding the PS5 design and the lengths to which Sony went to make this console a true gamer's console and "pro-consumer" (another word for consumer friendly). Sony could have chosen a totally different route and exploit their market position, mailed in its design or milked certain accessories and features but they did not. Here are some of the things that make this console stand out from the rest.

On the hardware side:
  • Customizable faceplates that are plug-and-play and don't void warranty. This will allow the PS5's aesthetic to become very personalized without being locked to custom consoles at Sony's discretion.
  • Removeable system cooling fan, and vacuum-able console without voiding warranty. This is a great step for DIY console maintenance and dust removal - which helps with product longevity and operation. There is also the potential that you could replace the OEM fan with a similar one, with led lights etc (provided a third party manufacturer makes it by seeing a market there).
  • Expandable SSD M.2 Storage Slot that includes varied size standards: 20, 42, 60, 80, and 110. This will provide you, the consumer, with plenty of choice of which manufacturer to chose for your drive (driving prices down). They listened to consumer complaints with the Vita proprietary storage, and addressed it.
  • Included-in-box Stand, for both horizontal and vertical orientation with cabby for screws.
There are other things to take into consideration as well on the software side but they're bit outside the scope of the hardware itself like:
  • Astro's Playroom as packed-in game
  • PlayStation Plus Collection for new PS5 PS subscribers. If 7 or 14 day PS Plus Trials are included with the console, that's a lot of free and great games for everyone to try out Day One.
  • 4000+ BC titles
  • Free PSVR camera adaptor plug.
I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but I think those get the idea across well.

==================================================================

So... do you think the PS5 is Sony's most consumer-friendly designed console to date? Yes? No? Maybe?
Are these details making you confident in your choice to purchase a PS5?

Lets us know what you like. Let us know what you don't like. Let us know what you think were missed opportunities. Feel free to discuss.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I think they have gone out of there way on a lot of things.

The controller i believe is the biggest leap next generation, they are giving us genuine difference in gaming from the bog-standard ps4. i love it.
The sound engine as well, just these two things alone makes me super excited for what they will be giving us in the future.

As for ssd its revolutionary, besides super sonic loading, we don't even know what it will do for game design.

The sides have opened up a whole new industry for people, being able to customize things is awesome, you have to say well done to them on this.

A free game and not some shitty one either, Astro on psvr i think was a game of the year for a lot of people, i hope we get to see more Astros, who knows, they might make one every few years for free.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Just preemptively stating any counter arguments:

1. But no PS1, 2 and 3 back compa
  2. The stand is mandatory in every position and HAS A SCREW
  3. Too big, can't fit my cabinet
  4. 10 ps4 games are unplayable, unacceptable
  5. Less power for same price
  6. Need to open the console to install the SSD
  7. edit: cant use my ps4 controller to play ps5 games

Last edited:
I think they have gone out of there way on a lot of things.

The controller i believe is the biggest leap next generation, they are giving us genuine difference in gaming from the bog-standard ps4. i love it.

I think we've always been accustomed to seeing changes in the controllers with each generation. It's only this generation where standards have lowered and we see the Dualsense as something novel and fresh. It's smart for Sony's marketing dept to advertise their strength there if the competition provides little.

Last edited:
Being able to use a wide variety of SSDs will probably be it's most consumer friendly feature. It's a shame they they haven't released a list of compatible drives yet.

I think they have to contact a lot of SSD drive manufacturers, test the drives (some that are just arriving fresh to the market) before they place their seal of approval on some. You don't want angry customers afterwards blaming you.

Last edited:
I think they have to contact a lot of SSD drive manufacturers, test the drives (some that are just arriving fresh to the market) before they place their seal of approval on some. You don't want angry customers afterwards blaming you.

Well hopefully we get the list before launch because some people will want to upgrade it immediately.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
To be fair, bar was set pretty low from last gen since there was no backward compatibility. This time, that alone makes them pro consumer.

Yoboman

Yes

It feels in particular they've gone to lengths to address some of the issues PS4 had. Particularly:

• System noise
  • No backwards compatibility
  • PS4s weak launch line-up
  • PS Plus value
  • First party variety - at launch the first party will have an open world , 3d platformer, multiplayer platformer, car combat and an action RPG

FranXico

I disagree, mate. The most pro-consumer console was the PS3.

It had the most complete hardware features set for the price at its time (including standard SD card slots, WiFi, and a Blu-Ray player below market price).
It had complete backwards compatibility with both the PS2 and the PS1 in the beginning of the generation. Better BC than the 360, in fact.
It allowed HDD upgrades of any third-party drive (thankfully, at least this will still be the case with PS5 SSDs).
It had much more permissive DRM than either the 360, X1, or PS4 in the beginning of the generation.
It had free online.

But people shat on it back then, and here we all are, still suffering the consequences.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Just preemptively stating any counter arguments:

1. But no PS1, 2 and 3 back compa
  2. The stand is mandatory in every position and HAS A SCREW
  3. Too big, can't fit my cabinet
  4. 10 ps4 games are unplayable, unacceptable
  5. Less power for same price
  6. Need to open the console to install the SSD
  7. edit: cant use my ps4 controller to play ps5 games
3 and 6 are big for me. the x having the expansion bay is so much nicer

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
4 and 6 are big for me. the x having the expansion bay is so much nicer

4 is big for you? 10 out of >4000 games not being playable is big?

giphy.gif

It had the most complete hardware features set for the price at its time (including standard SD card slots, WiFi, and a Blu-Ray player below market price).
It had complete backwards compatibility with both the PS2 and the PS1 in the beginning of the generation. Better BC than the 360, in fact.
It had free online.

Price killed it. But free online....Yes that was big and missed.

Yoboman

I disagree, mate. The most pro-consumer console was the PS3.

It allowed HDD upgrades of any third-party drive (thankfully, at least this will still be the case with PS5 SSDs).
It had much more permissive DRM than either the 360, X1, or PS4 in the beginning of the generation.
It had free online.

But people shat on it back then, and here we all are, still suffering the consequences.
I agree with a lot of this, but PS3 failed miserably at being pro developer. And that goes hand in hand with being pro consumer in a lot of ways. PS3s difficult development meant we got a lot of games that simply didn't take advantage of the system and were behind the 360 version

Easy yes.

They've always had a history of pro-consumer moves to be honest. Sure there are a couple of dumbass comments from former/current execs, but actions > words. From making their E3 shows viewable for free in theaters to pioneering monthly free games on consoles to financing insane game ideas/Hideo Kojima etc etc., they've always been about making money by making PlayStation worth it.

This is an unintended feature is it not? Have Sony promoted this as a feature of PS5 design?

There is nothing unintended when a console is designed other than unexpected failure at the hardware level. The way those plates latch without any screws tells you it's not unintended at all. A lot went into thinking how to make them removable and easy for the user.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
PS5 is looking nice, no doubt about it, but this is a very subjective topic that really isn't worth debating. I can see a lot of these points looking like needless complexity to the casual audience.

Some people would say android is more consumer friendly with the inherit ability to modify or install non play store software. Others would argue an iphone is more consumer friendly because of the more straightforward (for the lack of a better word) approach.

Bodom78

Taking up half the available space of a standard Japanese apartment is not very consumer friendly.

I do like the little compartment for the screw, save me having to find a replacement.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Did this really need to be a thread? No. But if they fix their PSN store refund policy with this console launch, then maybe it can be pro consumer.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I keep thinking about how cool decals are going to look. Etsy might be a hot place to shop if people start making custom covers. There will always going to be decals. i think the way it’s meant to be cleaned is very pro-consumer.

Last edited:
It's an industry wide move. Why wouldn't he?

It's a Sony-led move and it's irrelevant when we're discussing PS5 Vs PS1-4.

The PS5 games are more expensive, thusly the system is less pro-consummer.

And your here because ?

Backseat modding, think you own the fucking forum now, eh?

Report me and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you bringing up Xbox in a thread about PlayStation?

What does the price of next gen games have to do with the design of the system?

So... do you think the PS5 is Sony's most consumer-friendly designed console to date? Yes? No? Maybe?
Are these details making you confident in your choice to purchase a PS5?

I mean games will be 70$ on both but that has nothing to do with the hardware itself.

Top Bottom