• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS5 Sony's most pro-consumer designed console ever? Poll <-----

Do you think the PS5 is Sony's most pro-consumer designed console ever?

• Total voters

GymWolf

Nah, it was ps3, 60 dollars games, no pay to play online and a cpu strong enough to hack russian satellites.

Also the grill function was amazing during barbecues with friends.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's a good list of things

Seems like you are conveniently PS3's FULL backwards compatibility with the PS1 and PS2 at the very start of the gen.

Also, the PS4 controller works on the PS5.

Not all models could play PS2 games which was odd and it's not like they carried that forward into the PS4. It was an opportunity lost to build up on what they had with the PS3 but with MS shooting themselves multiple time in the foot with the announcement of the Xbox One it was one they didn't need. Instead they gave their customers an opportunity to pay for them again through PSNow.

They did a 180 on controller support? MS must be doing well since that wasn't the case before and people were defending that "it was because of the new controller features".

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Not all models could play PS2 games which was odd and it's not like they carried that forward into the PS4. It was an opportunity lost to build up on what they had with the PS3 but with MS shooting themselves multiple time in the foot with the announcement of the Xbox One it was one they didn't need. Instead they gave their customers an opportunity to pay for them again through PSNow.

They did a 180 on controller support? MS must be doing well since that wasn't the case before and people were defending that "it was because of the new controller features".

I stated "at the very start of the gen". The PS3 did phase out legacy support, and nothing points to MS not being able to do the same. Time will tell. So, ALL MODELS at launch could play PS2 and PS3 games.

As for the console, no, they didn't do a 180. The PS4 controller always worked on the PS5. The only thing it can't do is play PS5 games, as they will be tailored to the new features of the Dual Sense that cannot be replicated in said DS4 and have gameplay repercussions.

Since they include a DSense on the Box, this is not a problem. Also, I see it as much better to have new system features and new game features instead of legacy hardware support. You may see it differently, but sales will likely disagree with you.

I stated "at the very start of the gen". The PS3 did phase out legacy support, and nothing points to MS not being able to do the same. Time will tell. So, ALL MODELS at launch could play PS2 and PS3 games.

As for the console, no, they didn't do a 180. The PS4 controller always worked on the PS5. The only thing it can't do is play PS5 games, as they will be tailored to the new features of the Dual Sense that cannot be replicated in said DS4 and have gameplay repercussions.

Since they include a DSense on the Box, this is not a problem. Also, I see it as much better to have new system features and new game features instead of legacy hardware support. You may see it differently, but sales will likely disagree with you.

I think in the EU it was different which is probably why it didn't even come to mind when speaking about BC.

That's just PR talk, there's absolutely no reason a controller gimmick would stop you from playing a game. Imagine not being able to play GT7 because your controller triggers don't rumble. :messenger_tears_of_joy: The sad things is third party games may not even use it and you still won't be able to use the old controller...

Sure, additional controllers will be sold exactly because Sony doesn't allow the old one to be used. You also may see it differently but the vast majority of of PS gamers would prefer if they had full support. Since this post is about the console being pro consumer or not that's still a negative point I'm afraid.

wipeout364

Just came to say outside of the ridiculous price, I agree with the people saying that the 60GB PS3 was a pretty amazing purchase from a consumer friendly POV.

This is a sexy console
zHqfthJ.jpg
If you’re over 10 and think that’s sexy you probably have a man child room

Dodkrake

Banned
I think in the EU it was different which is probably why it didn't even come to mind when speaking about BC.

That's just PR talk, there's absolutely no reason a controller gimmick would stop you from playing a game. Imagine not being able to play GT7 because your controller triggers don't rumble. :messenger_tears_of_joy: The sad things is third party games may not even use it and you still won't be able to use the old controller...

Sure, additional controllers will be sold exactly because Sony doesn't allow the old one to be used. You also may see it differently but the vast majority of of PS gamers would prefer if they had full support. Since this post is about the console being pro consumer or not that's still a negative point I'm afraid.

Not rumble, pressure. If your mechanic requires pressure sensitivity and the force mechanic, it wont work. Something tells me you know this but want to be disingenuous.

MiguelItUp

....No. It's gigantic both vertically and horizontally, so much so that I think some folks are gonna have a bit of a time trying to figure out where to put it. I'm all for a memorable looking design, but between that and the weird stand situation that is required for it to be horizontal and/or vertical, I just can't agree with this. Some people like it, and that's great! But this gen, at least with the first models, I think I'd rather take XSX's "blandness" console rather than PS5's "Jetson's" console.

Faithless83

Banned
Take Two announced before Activision, but that's irrelevant, if Sony had announced £60 then MS would follow suit. It's absolutely led by Sony.
So if invalidates your point, it's irrelevant?
tenor.gif

The cognitive dissonance is strong on this one. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

STZz7AQ.png

ReBurn

Gold Member
I doubt that making the cooling fan customer removable is something Sony intended to do but it's good that it's an option. The dust collectors and removal vents seem to be more of a reaction to fix a problem they encountered with their design testing than a proactive design choice, but I could definitely be wrong. My first reaction to it was that they knew dust was such a problem with the way that air circulates that they had to do this. But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Not rumble, pressure. If your mechanic requires pressure sensitivity and the force mechanic, it wont work. Something tells me you know this but want to be disingenuous.

I didn't actually, just know the controller has some small differences but nothing major. They could still make it work if they wanted to, they just don't.

tryDEATH

Yo did someone misspell anti-consumer wrong? The only thing pro about this console is that it will have to release a Pro version in about a year or two.

Too big, not powerful enough, too gimmicky perfect recipe for a revision console.

And as always the mandatory bulletproof no comeback comment about GamePass.

Top Bottom