• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Original Xbox still the best looking Xbox?

Which Xbox looks the best?

• Total voters

calistan

I loved the console, but the original Xbox was ugly AF.
They just made the first batch out of the wrong plastic. Any time anyone disses the OG Xbox, I’ll have to repost this. It even felt really good, a lovely texture to it. The supermodel of consoles. And the transparent S controllers… I can’t post those, this is a family forum.
2iCvo1H.jpg

Codes 208

Nah, it and the gamecube had that early 2000’s pre-school toy looking aesthetics to them.

I prefer the sleeker designs of the 360, 360 S, and the XB1 X

But tbf: it still looks better than the ol’ DVR-looking XB1

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They just made the first batch out of the wrong plastic. Any time anyone disses the OG Xbox, I’ll have to repost this. It even felt really good, a lovely texture to it. The supermodel of consoles. And the transparent S controllers… I can’t post those, this is a family forum.
2iCvo1H.jpg

It still looks like shit, but transparent shit.

Sorry, that's the ugliest console I've ever seen. I feel nothing but hatred for its design.

calistan

It still looks like shit, but transparent shit.

Sorry, that's the ugliest console I've ever seen. I feel nothing but hatred for its design.
Nooo! Look again. Look closely. The silver logo. The hint of mechanisms behind the front. The way the plastic diffuses the reflections from the metal. It’s fucking radiant.

That’s the one console I most regret selling, because nobody ever had the balls to make a transparent games machine again. If somebody did an aftermarket transparent case for the Series X, screw the warranty, I’d be there day one.

vj27

Banned
I had my PlayStation centric friends comment on how sexy my Xbox one x is, and also how surprisingly heavy it was lol.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
Slim 360 was 🔥

OG Xbox was amazing so many memories but the Console wasn't much attractive but I don't give a shit about looks in tech.

Alan Wake

I loved the console, but the original Xbox was ugly AF.
Maybe I would've thought that if it launched today. I detest the design of the PS5, looking like a spaceship screaming for attention in my living room. After passing 40 that's the last thing I want. In my early 20s, though, it would've worked better. So did the OG Xbox.

SteadyEvo

Nope. That shit was hard to carry.
Used to put it in my backpack 🎒 and go to a friends to play Halo. Those were good times. Life was simple. Go to school, eat fast food, and play video games.

But the Series X is the best looking Xbox of all time.

feynoob

Banned
I would connect my prototype to a tv, but that’s just me I guess. Maybe I’m really weird I would connect a game console to a tv instead of using it as a book stand
Prototypes are like collection.
Plus he can get another one for his gaming room, if it can play games.

I actually love the way the Series S looks so I voted there but the Xbox One X looks really good as well.

SE wise the Halo 3 and Halo Reach 360s were amazing IMO.

Bigfroth

Series S/X are my favorites I like clean sharp edges in my electronics lol. OG fat PS2 is my favorite PS basically two rectangles stack on one another. The 360/PS3 era was the worst for me fat PS3 looked like a dead bloated whale and 360 looked damaged like something got dropped on it. Legend has it if you combine the 360's concave form with fat PS3's convex form it opens a portal to a dimension we're Don Mattrick is imprisoned 😜

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, it's ridiculously ugly. The One X/S and Series X/S look good, all the others are pretty poorly designed.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Xbox 360 Slim is my favourite.

Series X is nice but I consider it's size. It's too fat to be the best looking console.

Xbox Original is probably the worst looking out of them all.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
i voted for the xbox one x but this beauty is a close second.

Xbox-360-s.png
I like this one a lot. It’s a cool evolution of the original 360 design without going full minimalist media center.

TBH I’m really conflicted about the OG Xbox design. It’s got that circa-Y2K “uncool western company tries to make something that appeals to the MTV frat bro audience” vibe to it. It’s kinda ugly compared to the cutting edge Japanese electronics style of the other consoles, but at least it’s pretty honest about what it’s trying to be I guess

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think the One X was the most beautiful-looking Xbox console.

The Series S also looks very pretty, except for the black speaker-looking circle.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I think the Xbox Series S is the best looking. Followed closely by Xbox Series X. Those two put previous designs to shame, imo.

XSX_XSS_Design_HERO.jpg

1. Xbox Series S
2. Xbox Series X
3. Xbox One X
4. Xbox One S
5. Xbox 360
6. Xbox
99999. Xbox One
Series S is something else but actually really keen on how they designed the XBOX Series X. I'd have the list mirror to yours except I'd likely move up 360 a couple tiers higher.

soulbait

For me, it is between the Original 360 or the Series X.

Series X is great, because it just blends into the media cabinet and disappears. If you can not fit it in the media cabinet, you still hardly notice it. Just a black rectangle with a single light. Allows your living room to feel like a living room and not a game room. It does not distract.

The 360 looks like a game console, but yet does not draw attention. If it does draw attention, it still does not look out of place or like a children's toy. It was sleek enough for the time.

Consoles I do not like the look of:
- Gamecube: it looks like a toy (which consoles are), but hard to make that work within a living room that you do not want to look like a gaming room. In a game room, not offensive looking at all, but in a living room it can be distracting IMO.
- PS5: god I hate the look of this thing. It screams "look at me" and does not melt away in the room. It becomes focal point due to size and coloring. I think that will go away some whenever I get the black covers for it, but for now, I just do not like it (I really enjoy playing it though).

I guess for me, as an adult turning 40, I don't want my consoles standing out, especially in a room that is more for than just playing games. We are currently building a house where I will have a dedicated theater/media room, so I may want to display these consoles a little more, but not sure yet. I guess I have grown out wanting these things to draw attention.

Overall, I do not think that any of the mainline Xbox consoles have been ugly, even the Xbox One. I know many did not like it, but it fit well within my entertainment console and was just there. I did not like the shiny bits that would show dust and fingerprints, but overall it worked well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom