• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the hate justifiable for Call Of Duty?

Fare thee well

Neophyte
It's not hate. I'm just dogtired of hearing about it like it's the only forseeable shooter for the future. Many iterations have been a fairly competent game if I'm being honest, but I'm one of those strange creatures who only wants brand new gaming creations. It's genuinely a bad time for someone desiring a break from endless sequels.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
COD is awesome, I don't play it a whole lot but when I manage to get a group of friends going for some TDM or WZ then it's a great time no matter what. Always preferred it over battlefield as well.

This franchise shaped my teen years and I still enjoy it, not many franchises from the past I can say the same about.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Everyone I've come across who detests CoD are typically people who vastly prefer Battlefield - like me. Only, unlike them, I don't bitch, I just don't play CoD outside of the campaign (which I think are consistently awesome in a 80's & 90's action movie kind of way).

Now is it justifiable? Sure, it's just an opinion. To me 90% of CoD multiplayer is running in circles shooting each other in the back. To someone else it's the most engaging, exciting multiplayer around.

Don Carlo

Could it be not? COD has been an iconic series, but releasing a new game everyyear with same mechanism/modes, and selling them for $70 is nothing short of shame. Besides, I purchased Cold War last year, and now It wont be regulated, since a "new" one is out already.

I love playing my yearly COD. People say its same shit as FIFA....I don't get it, every year it's a brand new setting, campaign and MP maps. In all these years since day one I paid for ONE battle pass, and thats it. Love my CODs and they sell like hot cakes no matter what so people can hate all they want.

In my view, it is a very good series and in general with very high production values. The main problem, at least from a SP guy perspective, is that the games are pretty much the same thing. I loved MW but I feel I ain’t missing much by skipping 2/3 releases.

Could it be not? COD has been an iconic series, but releasing a new game everyyear with same mechanism/modes, and selling them for $70 is nothing short of shame. Besides, I purchased Cold War last year, and now It wont be regulated, since a "new" one is out already.

What do you mena by regulated?

MrA

Banned
I only buy 1 or 2 entries every gen but I've honestly enjoyed every COD I've ever bought.
They are usually fun to play, look pretty good and run well even on consoles, and they tend to be packed full of content with a single player, multiplayer and zombies modes.
In a way I guess they are like the Marvel movies of gaming to me, always fun but rarely truly remarkable.
This is probably the best analogy. Cod is a product, designed to appeal to a broad base of casual fans, consistently well-produced,
Much like marvel movies , this casual appeal will draw the ire of some enthusiasts that think such broad appeal is beneath them but I'd wager either snobbery or assuming that the enthusiast's niche of choice loses exposure due to the pop product gaining more attention. Don't get me wrong I like it when people enjoy the same niche products I do (since it 1. Gives an area of conversation etc and 2 increases the likelihood said niche will continue) but I'm never going to be annoyed or angry someone won't try out the niche I like.
THough it was annoying when other companies went through that whole gotta copy call of duty phase, it's like this isn't going to work, call of duty fans aren't going to buy your call of duty attempt, they've already got the perfect call of duty game, its called call of duty

It all comes down to us, you got what you want and pay for

You pay full price on day one for a barebone game? You choose for that

I couldn't be more satisfacted than this, honestly, I downloaded Warzone for free at launch and played since then nonstop, I have more than 300 hours now maybe, even a lot more, and I spent a total of 2$ maybe

All this fun for free, hard to complain to be honest

You don't like how Vanguard is turning out? Simply wait for sale

It's the exact same situation with Pokémon, fans complain since forever about games low quality and developer policies, yet they buy their games instantly, and they make billions

Disagree with something about a game: stop buying it, low sales = they realize something is wrong

Disagree, but buy a game anyway: they only see sales and money, so $$$ = keep continuing this way, why change?

Last edited:
Top Bottom