• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the hate justifiable for Call Of Duty?

Series is good for what it is. It peeves me when other developers and publishers (Capcom with Resident Evil for example) try to chase after the success of CoD by ruining the fundamentals of their existing series

Andodalf

Banned
If any given Cod came out without the baggage of the name, it would be instantly lauded as an incredible new franchise to watch. It gets way too much hate

Content wise and value for money wise the latest couple of cods can't be beat
Coldwar has decent multiplayer
Great zombies
Okayish campaign
+ Warzone integration
+Cross progression /crossplay on everything which is a huge +
Compare that with any AAA game and ull see how much content they offer + the micro transaction system has been much better in the last few years.
You combine all that and it's a pretty good value for money in my opinion

nemiroff

Gold Member
What kind of hate are we specifically talking about? To me it seems to me that the majority (it's one of the most popular games we have out there..) like it, so what's the core point here?

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
No. It's always stupid screeching about games you don't like - I don't like CoD, so I don't play it, but I'm certainly not going to start telling people it's a terrible game and they shouldn't be playing it either. It's like Fortnite - personally I found it incredibly uninteresting and after playing it for about 15 minutes I just quit and deleted the game - but a lot of people obviously do enjoy it.

I also really enjoyed Death Stranding - but a lot of people seem to hate it. It's just opinion - play the games you like and just ignore the retarded twats that are screeching that game {x} is objectively bad just because they didn't like it.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

sinnergy

When something gets big, there will be hate … always .. that’s what is happening.. it looks huge , but it’s a vocal minority.

MastaKiiLA

To those of us who hate FPSes, it just looks like the same shit over and over. That said, there's no reason it should bother anyone who actually enjoys the games. Clearly there are tons of you, so you can take comfort in that the hate means nothing in the big picture.

ZywyPL

Banned
No. People hate what's popular, whether games, movies, music etc. Don't like it don't play it, simple as it is, no need to hate it if it doesn't fit your taste.

Reactions: GHG

NoobForce

Neo Member
Personally, top shooting brands like Cod are basiclly football or boxing, you like it or not, they're just gonna be there.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
I didn't play cod in years till the new modern warfare came out and it was fun however I noticed very same issues that I have plagued the game for how many games now 20 plus. Billions of dollars made from this franchise alone yet they still can't fix spawn system with modern-day technology that we have for video games.

you still have people spawning directly behind you. You can even spawn get killed by a guy and inch beside you 0 spawn protection radius. In Cold War modes like Team Death match hard point domination are virtually unplayable at times because it's flips. Most of the time to make no sense at all and again 20 odd games still no fix.

In domination certain maps like satellite allows you to Catterick a and b and literally spawn kill them at their own base next to c.

winjer

Gold Member
The last COD I played was WWII. After several years not playing one.
And it was bad. Not the worst game ever, but still, a bad game.
I just gave up on the series. And don't think of going back.
It's not that I hate the series. It's just that it offers nothing of value to me.

GHG

Gold Member
If you talk to people in real life who play it they don't hate it.

It's the crowd that only buys fifa and COD once a year, they don't care about much else and that's what they enjoy. Who are we to judge?

Arun1910

People who hate stuff are always the most vocal. I'm not massively keen on it.

Yet CoD is continually the biggest selling franchise so clearly more people love it than hate it.

NahaNago

No idea, I've never played call of duty.

I kind of figure folks hate on it because it is popular.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Its like fifa, based on forums everyone hate those games. In reality… they are an absolute hit.

COD seems to be a consistently well made game. The campaigns run without a hitch and the multiplayer is pretty solid across the board. I can appreciate any game that has a minimum of mechanical problems, considering what some companies have the balls to charge money for these days. They also include a lot of base content for a series that has monetized itself since forever.

Are the games kinda same-ish each year? Yes they are, but you could say that about 2/3 of the games released industry wide. Content is subjective so who can say if that's where the hate comes from? Unjustified hate to be sure.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Nah, they are always good games at the very least. People dont like it because its popular, its the same reason they shit on fortnite and minecraft, also well made fun video games. They think it gives them some kind of hard core gamer cred or something. Its very cringey, very r/gaming if you will.

for someone that stepped away from COD for over a decade. The most jarring thing, besides speed, TTK etc.....was the Aim assist. Its super strong. Its basically GTA lock on shooting

EDMIX

No.

I don't play the series any longer myself, but I don't see a reason to hate something simply cause lots of people love it. Clearly they are doing something right if people keep returning.

TexMex

I enjoyed Modern Warfare 2019. The series is very hit and miss though with the rotating dev studios.

This is where I’m at. I was shocked at how good 2019 MW was. Hell I’m still playing it and I had fallen off of CoD pretty hard for years.

My first question every year is “well who’s making it?” Wildly different levels of enjoyment based on who is on deck any given year.

As a whole - I think it gets an unfair dogpile at times because that’s what will always happen to whatever is most popular. The games themselves are always pretty slick, polished, run very well - always technically sound. There’s way, way worse, they just don’t have CoD visibility.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I play them, enjoy the multiplayer for a while, and maybe play through the campaign. I’ll drop it for whatever reason. I think I see enough to warrant the next entry, but then I’m not surprised when fall rolls around and what gets teased is a military based shooter. I didn’t play through the Cold War campaign because it felt like a battle I have already played before.

I’ve bought all of them at their launch. The last campaigns I enjoyed were WW2 and MW’s.

junguler

Banned
i don't hate call of duty, i'm just indifferent to it. i used to love love love it but i grew grew grew up up up.

Ceadeus

My only complaint is that console players should be able to buy MP separately just like on PC instead of the obligatory full game. Install size would be much smaller too

I would like to try the latest black ops but not a 79$

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It is a video game. So. . .no.

. . .well maybe if the video game in question slipped into their mothers bedrooms one night -

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I've never really liked the serie but played it a bit with friends and I feel like the hate it has received is probably due to a transfer or a confusion between the game and its community.
By that I mean we've all encountered a kid screaming insults every time he died or even messaging insults etc.And their presence has been considered as the face of its community.
But they are just the more vocal and annoying part hence why it's easier to remember them.
I still feel that the games being good or bad at least try to differ from one another unlike a lot of sports games.So maybe the games got hated mostly due to the bad apples in its community more than the games themselves.
Anyway maybe the point had already been made or I maybe unclear in how I phrased it, I'm not in the best of health right now so please tell me I'll try to rephrase if needed.

Allforce

I would get an itch to play one here and there over the last 10 years and play the single player but Covid19 + isolation + Modern Warfare + Warzone really got me back into the multiplayer shit. I bought Modern Warfare 19 on release, played thru the campaign and shelved it for 6 months until last May and then me and some old friends really got into it and managed to get pretty good.

So now I'm all in although Cold War feels like a step back after MW19. I'll play Vanguard but also am getting Battlefield this year because I haven't really played one of those seriously since 4.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I have really been enjoying Call of Duty: Cold War this year. I have the Series X version and have been enjoying the graphics, 120 FPS, etc. My question is whether or not the hate for the game is justifiable for the product. I am aware of the cheating issue but overall the game is solid. I purchased Black Ops 4 and skipped COD 2019. I do prefer Battlefield/Halo over Call Of Duty but to say that COD is garbage is unjustified. It does it thing very well. Do folks hate on COD because that's the cool thing to do on the internet?
You skipped literally the best COD.

The hate comes from how generic and uninspired the game has become. Activision also tries to get you to buy the next one by purposefully hurting previous entries, like cutting usable servers in half or more.

I'll never buy another COD again after what they did to MW2019.

COD campaigns are one of my guilty pleasures but I barely play the MP.

COD is a big game for a lot of people so I get why people are passionate about it but the game comes out every year so it’s impossible to please everyone with every release.

I didn't play cod in years till the new modern warfare came out and it was fun however I noticed very same issues that I have plagued the game for how many games now 20 plus. Billions of dollars made from this franchise alone yet they still can't fix spawn system with modern-day technology that we have for video games.

you still have people spawning directly behind you. You can even spawn get killed by a guy and inch beside you 0 spawn protection radius. In Cold War modes like Team Death match hard point domination are virtually unplayable at times because it's flips. Most of the time to make no sense at all and again 20 odd games still no fix.

In domination certain maps like satellite allows you to Catterick a and b and literally spawn kill them at their own base next to c.

The hate is 100% justified your talking about a game that still has buggy broken menus like its from the earlier 2000s, We went form getting 5 to 6 maps every few months to getting 2 old as dirt maps from other games and thats considered "content", Broken spawns Broken weapons balancing the same under the map god mode glitch works the same as it did in 2005 in cod 3. The quality of the series has hit rock bottom since blops 3 i say a good 60% of the cod community has 0 interest in playing another WW2 cod game after cod ww2 especially since its still running on the old quake engine and its made by sledge hammer games you know the devs that made ghost the game where the maps were so big you could just sit behind a rock and camp the whole match and basically win because the maps were way to big for a 6v6 cod map great devs. And the games dont have great content either half of the good stuff is still locked behind micro transactions and battle pass levels thats a far cry from mw2 were call signs and camos were unlocked by wow just playing the game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No it’s not

it’s your typical.. i only listen to music you never heard of BS

hate success blablablabla..
If you treat the yearly COD campaign as a fun summer action popcorn flick you are fine 😊

Javthusiast

Banned
All Day Life GIF by Rosanna Pansino

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The multiplayer in Call of Duty is casual at its core.
The main gameplay has some depth, but it is designed around "keeping the field together" ...
It is very easy to ge into, you get rewarded for playing poorly and even for dying. Mix in a MMO-like progression to motivate the players and you have the ultimate casual shooter. It's essentially the shooter version of Mario Kart. The killstreaks are the blue sheel. This is not something bad, It definitely does it's job well for being an entertaining shooter with solid mechanics. It just shouldn't be compared to something like Counter Strike, Quake or even Battlefield.

The single player is the gaming equivalent of a Michael Bay movie. Not necessarily bad, but not designed to be anything other than a roller coaster ride. Playing the single player a second time will make it crack.

Now hate is strong word, I don't hate the game and they are usually decent products with a decent amount of content. On the other side I can't help myself to feel like the people who buy it each and every year are huge suckers.

Kokoloko85

I enjoy the zombies mode, more so than standard multiplayer mo
Ive been playing Cod since number 2 on the 360 launch

After Modern Warfare 2 I really enjoyed Black ops 1&2 and I loved Infinite Warfare campaign and zombies. Ghosts was awful, Advance warfare was ok, same as WW2 and Coldwar.
I look forward to some more. I never played modern warfare remake though.

It must be the fastest remake ever. Modern Warfare came out in 2007 and the remake 12 years later in 2019

bender

What time is it?
I had an amazing time with COD4: Modern Warfare. Did all 10x Prestige ranks and earned every golden weapon. Everything in the series afterwards just never recaptured my love for that game. It's still super popular so I don't begrudge anyone who still enjoys the games. It is not my cup of tea and I'm glad as all the unlockable content and microtransactions are out of control.

Cod is good entertainment multi , warzone ,campaign , coop , zombies there is always something for everyone
It absolutely justifies its price for the amount of entertainment ur going to get out of it , if ur into this sort of game

TheMan

It’s like McDonald’s. Does the job and scratches the itch once in a while. You know exactly what you’re getting. There’s better stuff out there but sometimes you want that junk. And, it appeals to the massss

I enjoyed MW'19, but ultimately I'm just not willing to dedicate well over 150GB to a single game with regular 20-40GB patches because 99% of the data is packed into a handful of archives, which they insist on editing every single time, and for some ungodly reason battle.net can't do delta patching. I deleted it, along with Black Ops 4, well over a year ago and I only keep Black Ops 3 around for the occasional modded zombies.

Unk Adams

Banned
I don't hate COD. It just gets exhausting to have a new entry every single year, having to start over, get used to new maps and styles, etc. I prefer multiplayer games that release one or two per entries per generation and then add updates, improvements, expansions, etc. throughout the years.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't hate Call of Duty, but I sure hate some entries in the franchise.

Call of Duty 1 & 2 are amazing, love the Modern Warfare series on 360 as well as the 2019 game. Black ops 1 & 2 are also great. The rest is trash IMHO.

As for the Vanguard I still on the fence but, the fact that is another WW2 game alone make me very skeptical about this game.

catvonpee

I don't hate COD, but I don't like it either.

I wish they would take some risks and get Raven to make a new Soldier of Fortune game and maybe start releasing the COD game every two or three years. Really make something amazing instead of just annual installments.

Top Bottom