• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the "fighting game revival" dead in its tracks going into next gen (PS5/Scorpio/Switch)?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Street Fighter IV is widely credited for jumpstarting the fighting game genre on home consoles. Other franchises helped contribute to the revival and for the last decade we're seeing more fighting game franchises come back to life. However, fighting games suffered some massive stumbles (SFV, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite) this generation. Also, other genres seem to be gaining attention in eSports circles, taking the spotlight away from fighting games (which helped define competitive gaming decades ago).

Lot of modern fighters have resorted to DLC practices to help pay the bills. Not sure if this will hurt the genre in the long run but it definitely clashes with the competitive/community nature of these titles.

Just curious to hear what GAFers think about the genre moving forward. Was the revival a blip or is it still going strong?

Personally, I'm soaking up all these fighters and loving it. Keep the train going.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
DLC and the FGC have killed fighting game interest for many honestly. Outside Smash most of the casual people just don't see the point in picking up a game that will be obsolete within months. I think MK only sold because people like dumb gory shit more than anything.

fuck phone posting

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjay

Banned
Yeah pretty much. It's all for the tournament scene now. Best entertainment you could get out of fighting games now is watching sheltered homebodies talk about fighting games like it's the drug game on twitch on youtube. Also I was dead on about samurai shodown being a stillborn rebirth.

Salvatron

I agree with your summation, OP. Capcom really hurt the scene fumbling so hard with SFV and MVCI. DBZF came at the perfect time and Arc System Works, with their distinctive style, has really stepped up. Feels like Tekken has been on the rise. I see some notable SF players moving over to that.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
DLC and the FGC have killed fighting game interest for many honestly. Outside Smash most of the casual people just don't see the point in picking up a game that will be absolute within months. I think MK only sold because people like dumb gory shit more than anything.
You think the FGC is killing the genre's momentum? In what ways do you see this going on? I'm only asking because seeing competitive play is what truly got me interested and hyped about fighting games. I've now spent a lot of money in the genre because I am enjoying the genre a lot more than I did, say, 20 years ago. Listening to commentary and watching tournament play was essentially my "entry" into taking fighting games seriously.

FGC causes a lot of issues, I agree, and a lot of that is the immaturity of some of its niches. But then there are niches that are cool. As far as I know, there really isn't a lot of controversy among Arc Systems Works players (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue). I mean, I watch several GG tourneys a year (usually just the top 32) because I'm such a huge fan of the game and I never really pick up any controversy or drama. It's all business. Some fighting game communities skew older though (lol Smash Bros) so perhaps that's why. I know that is the case with Guilty Gear where several of the world-class players are in their late 20s to late 30s.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You think the FGC is killing the genre's momentum? In what ways do you see this going on? I'm only asking because seeing competitive play is what truly got me interested and hyped about fighting games. I've now spent a lot of money in the genre because I am enjoying the genre a lot more than I did, say, 20 years ago. Listening to commentary and watching tournament play was essentially my "entry" into taking fighting games seriously.

FGC causes a lot of issues, I agree, and a lot of that is the immaturity of some of its niches. But then there are niches that are cool. As far as I know, there really isn't a lot of controversy among Arc Systems Works players (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue). I mean, I watch several GG tourneys a year (usually just the top 32) because I'm such a huge fan of the game and I never really pick up any controversy or drama. It's all business. Some fighting game communities skew older though (lol Smash Bros) so perhaps that's why. I know that is the case with Guilty Gear where several of the world-class players are in their late 20s to late 30s.
The FGC and Evo are the main reasons games launch incomplete/rushed.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Did more fighting games come out this generation or last generation? I'm genuinely asking because I'm not certain.

Because I'm pretty confident a lot more fighting games came out this generation. Arc System Works and SNK in particular have cranked out a lot more games this gen. Last gen we got the tail-end of the Japanese arcade ports (stuff ranging from Virtua Fighter 5 to Arcana Hearts 3), but this gen we're seeing a lot more straight-up revivals, especially from SNK. Last gen they did... KoF13? This gen they've done KoF14, that Queen of Fighters: Babe spinoff game on Switch, and now Samurai Shodown.

The FGC and Evo are the main reasons games launch incomplete/rushed.
Yeah, totally fair. Chasing that EVO scene puts attention on some cool games, though. Never thought I'd see poverty games like BlazBlue or UNIEL on main stage, let's be fair. The FGC and tournaments have a positive impact on the genre, too. I can understand if you feel the bad effects outweigh the good effects, though.

Labolas

I love fighting games, but damn there have some major stumbles mostly from Capcom's end. I initially liking the season 1 of SF5. But the censorship, the weird character designs, and the multiple seasons killed my hype. MVCI was a clusterfuck before it was released. Outside of that, Bamco and Arcsys are killing it.

The pain of being largely (if not solely) responsible for losses, will be enough to stop fighting games from ever being super popular. Anticipating those tough losses is certainly enough to convince me not to play SFV sometimes. I just cant be bothered with the stress.

Ten_Fold

I use to go to locals on and off from like 2012-2015 I went to SCR once mvci came out and I went to EVO for bbtag, but man I wanna say around 2016 when SF5 came out and ALOT of people really didn’t like it (casuals and tournament players). People play because of money and once more money started to come in you see less hype no money matches, you can’t say anything or you will get banned from pro tour or a tournament, also lots of SJW people made things worse. To summarize it, Capcom fucked up SF5/MVC so bad that it made tekken more popular tournament wise. SJW’s and the white knights of the FGC got tiring. Last thing is once we started seeing a little bit of money and more T.V time people started changing and haven’t really tried to get more people into fighters, man if Nintendo had a legit pro tour with big money it WOULD be bigger than anything seen in a fighter. I want to jump back into the FGC but every fighter is kinda MEH nowadays I miss sf4/mvc3 era.

Funny thing is, the once most lazy made fighting game that was known for spamming and not actual skill, Mortal Kombat, is now king of the hill both technically and gameplay wise while the once most popular titles such as Tekken and Street fighter are barely getting funding to be made.

I mean Street Fighter 5 needed funding from SONY otherwise there wouldnt even be a SF5 today. Tekken has no excuse for its graphics if you have a game like MK11 that looks that good and plays at 60fps. Its amazing how Ed Boon and team got the MK franchise from a slow death to top of the hill.

Last edited:

vkbest

DLC and the FGC have killed fighting game interest for many honestly. Outside Smash most of the casual people just don't see the point in picking up a game that will be obsolete within months. I think MK only sold because people like dumb gory shit more than anything.

fuck phone posting

DLC killing fighting games? Lol, dlc is the unique reason because games like SFV or DBZ Fighters are played for years.

People forget old times where Street Fighter 2 would release with 8 characters, after SF 2 Turbo, after Súper SF 2, Super SF 2 turbo, all games at full price

OP it seems you're coming on from the perspective of Capcom fighters which did miserably commercially (SFV/MVCI) but is still very much alive pro wise (SFV),
and you dismissed the rest of the fighting franchises/games that flourished this gen, Tekken 7 is THE best fighting game to watch right now, SCVI was a dream come true after the poor sales of SCV, DBFZ is the best anime fighter right now with a health online and pro scene, MKX/MK11 is in a better place mechanics wise and balance wise, and have been the most successful fighting games sales wise (MKX sold over 10m+/MK11 best selling 2019 game so far), SNK rose from the dead with the graphically inferior but very solid KOFXIV and the great return of Samurai Shodown.
All of these titles are still supported with balance patches, new stages/combos and characters.
Even niche titles like UNIST and BBCTB are still active and get updated often.
So no i'd say fighting games are in a very strong place about as much as it was in it's hayday and maybe even more with pro tours and sponsorships, i mean who could've thought of Pakistan killing the Korean dominance of Tekken and Arslan Ash winning both Evo Japan and Evo USA if not for that?

Funny thing is, the once most lazy made fighting game that was known for spamming and not actual skill, Mortal Kombat, is now king of the hill both technically and gameplay wise while the once most popular titles such as Tekken and Street fighter are barely getting funding to be made.

I mean Street Fighter 5 needed funding from SONY otherwise there wouldnt even be a SF5 today. Tekken has no excuse for its graphics if you have a game like MK11 that looks that good and plays at 60fps. Its amazing how Ed Boon and team got the MK franchise from a slow death to top of the hill.
Tekken 7 was underfunded because TTT2 sold poorly, MK is funded by WB with all of it's licences and marketing behind it, T-1000, Leatherface, Jason and Alien and simple to excute combos makes it a BIG casual magnet.

Tekken 7 was underfunded because TTT2 sold poorly, MK is funded by WB with all of it's licences and marketing behind it, T-1000, Leatherface, Jason and Alien and simple to excute combos makes it a BIG casual magnet.

MK11 is anything but simple combo fighter, I dont think you played it. Its as technical if not more nowadays than Tekken ever was. MK11 is a product of proper funding and technical gameplay even for the most hardcore players. If you are a noob and go online, yeah no spamming or simple combos can save you from a skilled player. Same goes for Injustice. Tekken and SF were top of the line games back in the day. If they still kept that popularity they would of been swooped up by someone with more cash if they thought it was a worthy purchase.

You gotta remember, MK was on a decline with average games such as Deception and Armageddon. They werent bought out by WB while they were selling like crazy, quite the opposite. Why hasnt any major studio come to Tekken aid? Also when MK9 showed up even with WB funding, it was only a reboot...no T1, no Jason or Alien.

petran79

Banned
Mainly the flagship and popular fighting games. During PS3 and Xbox360 era there were quite a lot less popular fighters that had a scene and were promoted as side tournaments within Evo, eg gg ac r+, Skullgirls, Arcana Heart 3, Vampire Savior via Darkstalkers Resurrection, Persona 4 fighting game, Jojo 3d arena fighters, Melty Blood, Phantom Breaker, Aquapazza, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax etc

Now with esports, more expensive ps5 publishing process and stricter censorship, I don't see many of the more niche fighters with fanservice even getting a release or chance, except maybe on Switch.

Last edited:
MK11 is anything but simple combo fighter, I dont think you played it. Its as technical if not more nowadays than Tekken ever was. MK11 is a product of proper funding and technical gameplay even for the most hardcore players. If you are a noob and go online, yeah no spamming or simple combos can save you from a skilled player. Same goes for Injustice. Tekken and SF were top of the line games back in the day. If they still kept that popularity they would of been swooped up by someone with more cash if they thought it was a worthy purchase.

You gotta remember, MK was on a decline with average games such as Deception and Armageddon. They werent bought out by WB while they were selling like crazy, quite the opposite. Why hasnt any major studio come to Tekken aid? Also when MK9 showed up even with WB funding, it was only a reboot...no T1, no Jason or Alien.
I did play for over 20 hours and it's far more forgiving in it's excution then something like Street Fighter.
And i think you've never played a Tekken game since 2 or 3 if you think MKX or 11 is more complex or excution heavy then Tekken 7, it's annoying that most 2D players think 3D fighters are button mashers and that long combos lists mean it's impossible to learn to play a character, i suggest you watch Mike Ross's videos on twitch when he started playing Tekken 7 which is a perfect example of the mind set of a 2D player going 3D.

Ten_Fold

FGC for sure hurt the growth more than it helped, smash has a different group of players who rarely crossover so I generally exclude them. I think when everyone tried to be fake e-sports that’s when the change happen, we are not gonna be big like LoL or dota levels, we should’ve keep doing what we were doing. All the things that drew people in was FT10 beef between 2 players and hype moments but since around 2016-current it’s been pretty dry.

If you only consider Capcom fighting games as fighting games, then yeah, sure. But ArcSys, SNK, Namco, NetherRealm etc. have only seen improvements since last gen in terms of their presence in the scene. Capcom's the only one who's really dropped the ball, in fact they're kind of the only one who's routinely been dropping the ball since the early '00s tbqh (SFIV was more of a fluke of good circumstances and luck for them if you look at the patterns).

Dunno what's gonna happen with eSports and the FGC going forward; eSports keeps trying to neuter fighting games for "mass appeal" and being more broadcast-friendly but that is also killing some of the hype and genuine fun as well as making devs possibly self-censor when it comes to female character designs going forward. In fact, I'm kind of surprised Capcom's continued with the sexy thick ladies after the whole R.Mika + ESPN garbage that popped up a few years ago.

Still think the main reason fighting games aren't as big as MOBAs or FPS in eSports is due to the nature of 1v1 and the fact you kind of don't have a team to pick up the rest of your slack if you're not up to par. Even FGC players sponsored by the same company might not see each other as "teammates", if that makes any sense. But also, there hasn't really been a serious go at a fighting game with mechanics built from the ground-up around cooperative, team-based gameplay, and I'm not sure who'd be the first to do it and get it right.

ITT Capcom fan assumes his games are the only fighting games.

I love Capcom fighters, but you're onto something, and it's been a thing for a long time. Like the whole "SFIV saved fighting games from the Dark Ages" bullshit. There was never a fighting game Dark Age. Capcom was just off fucking around with RE spinoffs and aborted would-be franchises like Viewtiful Joe (great games btw) and P.N 03 (Vanessa, dat ass).

But during that same '02-'09 period, Namco was killing it with Tekken 5, DR, and 6, SEGA was killing it with VF4 and VF5, the DOA games saw their biggest growth with DOA: Ultimate and 4, the PS2-era MK games did pretty damn well, and GG solidified itself as a legit big-dog in terms of a fighter with a strong niche. Oh, and SNK released one of the best KOFs ever during that time, KOF XI. And a lot of these games also sold well plus did strong revenue in international arcades.

Capcom just coasted by with Anniversary Collection and knowing its hardcore base would play MvC2 and CvS2 religiously while pretending no other fighting game existed until SFIV dropped. And I say this as a dude that rocked hard with CvS2.

Last edited:
I mean Street Fighter 5 needed funding from SONY otherwise there wouldnt even be a SF5 today.\

Not really true; Capcom had the money to do SF5 completely on their own if they wanted, but they didn't see it as a top priority. We would've just gotten SF5 a year or two later than it actually came out, and they probably would've done another update to SFIV for the time being (and probably either kick off CPT a year early, using that SFIV update as the marquee).

Sony basically came in and gave them funding that meant Capcom didn't need to use their own money as much, and for all we know they might've had a deadline in terms of release due to that contract. It'd definitely explain part of the reason why SFV was rushed out with so little content.

Also yes I know SFV was rushed for CPT, but Sony was also a major (hell, THE major) sponsor for CPT up until last year I believe. So in a way they're still partly to blame for SFV's shitty launch.

Last edited:

Caffeine

crossplay and multiplat releases will be staying power next gen. dlc for the most part has been doing well or else they wouldnt be pushing successive seasons, what really hurts a lot of these fighting games is once the game is rolling, they kinda kill it themselves cause they got a future product on the way. killer instinct could have been in the esports scene for another 2 years they just dropped it.

the boom during ps3/360 era was online play. + esports was blasting off with fighters. rushing out the games with no content hurts them.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
as a huge fighting game fan .

dumb ass dlc ruined the genre for me.

these days i have to wait 1 year to get the finished version of a fighter,
srsly locking fighters behind a paywall in a game.
is the dumbest fucking thing ever.

it's like putting certain guns behind a paywall in shooters..
wait what's that? oh too late i guess,

Clarissa

Banned
I love the season pass approach to fighting games. Gives it greater longevity and support.

I also understand that creating characters/stages costs lots of money and I'd gladly pay to support the games I love.

Huge supporter of sfv, Tekken 7, soul Calibur 6 and will gladly buy and support Granblue Fantasy Versus and Guilty Gear when they're out.

I'm sorry but I don't get all the entitled posts that you buy a game and the developers are supposed to keep pumping out characters, stages and balance patches to you for free.

Phase

I'm sorry but I don't get all the entitled posts that you buy a game and the developers are supposed to keep pumping out characters, stages and balance patches to you for free.
I'd rather them work on the game for longer and completely finish it before release. Then we can pay a set price and get all of the content. Instead they release a chunk and drip feed the rest and want you to pay for more (probably already made) content. But hey, it's a way to keep their "player engagement" high right?

I'd rather them work on the game for longer and completely finish it before release. Then we can pay a set price and get all of the content. Instead they release a chunk and drip feed the rest and want you to pay for more (probably already made) content. But hey, it's a way to keep their "player engagement" high right?
Every fighting game player is praying for player engagement. You have to have other people to play against. A lot of players drop off after a few months and you have no one to play.

Petrae

Fighting games will continue unabated, as they’re easy targets for DLC dumps and “player engagement”, as Mortal Kombat 11 and Street Fighter V have proven through their microtransactions and (in SFV’s case, at least) gratuitous amounts of DLC. The genre is good for sucking the money out of players for costumes and stages that used to be free unlockables in generations past.

Perhaps we’ll see fewer new full releases of games, thanks to the Season Pass concept being so successful. Instead of buying a new game for $60 every couple of years, consumers throw $30+ at it every 8-12 months for a handful of characters and a stage or two. This keeps post-purchase revenue flowing in.

Capcpom really screwed the pooch for a half-baked launch of Street Fighter V, which is a game geared mostly for the FGC crowd. The front end is still slow and stuttery as hell, with way too much loading time and waiting in between fights, and the single-player content— which was months late and many dollars short— isn’t very engaging at all. And then there’s the pile of ass that is Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, which severely damaged the reputation of that series.

I used to be a fan of this genre, too, but I’ve not at all been a fan of its new direction.

Fighting games won’t necessarily die, but they will be always be niche mostly due to the high level of commitment, patience and skill the majority of them require which most gamers simply do not possess. You have to grind, study and practice nonstop in fighters. Most gamers understandably hate to consistently get decimated and lose online against more dedicated or skilled players and typically quit the game. Especially now with the YouTube era where many hardcore gamers look at the professionals and try to emulate what they do.

Imho, DLC and greed are very detrimental to them though. How many incomplete, bare bones fighters have we seen at launch this generation? There is WAY too much reliance on things like season passes, new characters, etc that I feel becomes a larger than expected investment for most. Sure, you don’t have to purchase them, but you will likely be missing out on significant content in the games. Imo, it’s blatant greed generally. It’s honestly more cost efficient to just buy new versions of the game each year and that’s absolutely ridiculous.

I think by next generation fighting games will become even more niche and reliant on shady DLC and preposterous business practices which I feel will alienate even more casuals and mostly only draw the hardcore audience yet again. If that’s the primary way fighters have to draw in consistent revenue, then that could speak volumes about their popularity I feel.

I’ve always been a fighting game fan for most my life, but I really loathe the new direction they have taken and expect things to get progressively worst in the future.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

The main problem fighting game have is the time investment necessary.
They are fun to play only in PvP and the skill curve to most of them is insane.

Most people who play fighting games i know, they only play that.
It takes enormous commitment to learn the Meta and now with constant patching it changes all the time.

There is no a lot of leeway to be a casual fighting game fan.
Because of that most of the people you are going to play against online are going to be the fans.
After getting your ass kicked 10 times in a row, most people quit.
And that's that.

It takes enormous commitment to learn the Meta and now with constant patching it changes all the time.

Because of that most of the people you are going to play against online are going to be the fans.
And that's that.

Exactly - most of them got so complicated you need to spent weeks training to get hang out of all their systems/cancels/supers/whatever else.

And then when you start training with chosen character you are welcomed with a list of 70 special moves (Tekken 7 for example)

I miss games like first BlazBlue or SF4.

Clarissa

Banned

And that's that.

I got introduced to King of fighters xiii by my friends. Got my ass kicked for 6 months straight before I got my first victory. It felt great when I finally won.

It was the same for street fighter 4. I couldn't even do crmk into hadouken. By the end of usf4 I was able to do 1 frame link combos in fadc ultra.

I love fighting games because they teach you patience and humility.

DLC killing fighting games? Lol, dlc is the unique reason because games like SFV or DBZ Fighters are played for years.

People forget old times where Street Fighter 2 would release with 8 characters, after SF 2 Turbo, after Súper SF 2, Super SF 2 turbo, all games at full price

I see your point, but that’s still cheaper than buying all the DLC in fighting games now. Look at the total price of all the DLC in SF5 or DOA5 to name a few and tell me that it’s cheaper than buying a new full priced installment each year. Not saying it’s necessarily a better model, but I feel DLC is probably the worst thing to happen to modern fighting games because it’s generally handled poorly.

Clarissa

Banned
I see your point, but that’s still cheaper than buying all the DLC in fighting games now. Look at the total price of all the DLC in SF5 or DOA5 to name a few and tell me that it’s cheaper than buying a new full priced installment each year. Not saying it’s necessarily a better model, but I feel DLC is probably the worst thing to happen to modern fighting games because it’s generally handled poorly.

Keihart

DLC ruining fighting game is nonsesne, we used to get stupid amounts of revisions for every popular fighting game and those that didn't could sometimes suffer from broken shit like combos or ubalanced characters or whatnot.
DLC for fighting games is what has keep them alive in fact, allowing developers to keep these games interesting, balanced and in general to keep improving them years after release without splitting the player base, in fact, we are in some form of revival for the fighting games.

DLC ruining fighting game is nonsesne, we used to get stupid amounts of revisions for every popular fighting game and those that didn't could sometimes suffer from broken shit like combos or ubalanced characters or whatnot.
DLC for fighting games is what has keep them alive in fact, allowing developers to keep these games interesting, balanced and in general to keep improving them years after release without splitting the player base, in fact, we are in some form of revival for the fighting games.

Oh, I’m well aware that it’s costs money to create new characters, but companies imo take full advantage of consumers with a constant stream of DLC and content knowing that they purposely leave content out only to charge you for it later.

Leaving out Tira who was a classic character in Soul Calibur 6 for preorder or having to pay for custom parts, costumes, colors, stages and basically “completed” characters that were in the previous game to me is kind of pushing it. Didn’t Blazblue Cross Tag leave out half the roster and sold the rest as DLC? Not sure how people can defend that.

DLC when implemented fairly is fine and can add longevity and life to fighting games admittedly, but there needs to balance. I understand why it exists, but I just feel that you are not getting the full experience and offerings of the game unless you pony up ALOT of additional cash when you already paid for the game. Don’t get me started on season passes..........

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
5 felt like a tragic misstep in some areas, enough to put me off fighters for most of the generation

dbz seems like it was the best of the gen

Oh, I’m well aware that it’s costs money to create new characters, but companies imo take full advantage of consumers with a constant stream of DLC and content knowing that they purposely leave content out only to charge you for it later.

Leaving out Tira who was a classic character in Soul Calibur 6 for preorder or having to pay for custom parts, costumes, colors, stages and basically “completed” characters that were in the previous game to me is kind of pushing it. Didn’t Blazblue Cross Tag leave out half the roster and sold the rest as DLC? Not sure how people can defend that.

DLC when implemented fairly is fine and can add longevity and life to fighting games admittedly, but there needs to balance. I understand why it exists, but I just feel that you are not getting the full experience and offerings of the game unless you pony up ALOT of additional cash when you already paid for the game. Don’t get me started on season passes..........
Tira was actually normal DLC included in the season pass or stand alone despite being day 1 disc locked DLC. People thought she was a pre-order bonus, then Bamco corrected themselves and said "season pass bonus" which made it much worse. Yeah BlazBlue Cross Tag shipped with 20 characters then sold another 20 in the season pass, the first 10 of which were not only on the disc but you actually fight them in story mode. Then of course the DOA6 situation this year.....

The King of Fighters XIV and Smash Ultimate, now that's DLC.

I pretty much don't touch a fighting game until the complete edition comes out. Not interested in a vanilla edition that doesn't include a shit ton of fighters.

Barakov

I wouldn't say dead in it's tracks in the least. FGs right now have more momentum than they've ever had. A new GG is coming and a version of that is definitely coming to next gen. ARC is also working on finishing GranBlue Versus and that's coming out next year as well. As well as the new KOF.

The new update is very crucial for SFV. The game right now is in the best state it's ever been but it's also feeling pretty stale right now. New supers, v-triggers and mechanics would do a lot to reel people back in. You have to imagine that Capcom is at least thinking about SF6 and that could potentially hit next gen. Another Capcom versus game has to be coming. Right now Marvel 4 seems unlikely so we could could get a Capcom All-Stars game.

At some point Tekken X Street Fighter is coming. Last we heard it was something like 30% done and after development for Tekken 7 winds down you have to imagine that Harada and co. will focus on that. Also you have imagine Injustice 3 is coming not next year but in 2021. I'd say heading into next gen FGs are in the best shape they've ever been. There is no revival going on here. Figthing games are alive and thriving.

PeacefulWorldGuy

Neo Member
Tira was actually normal DLC included in the season pass or stand alone despite being day 1 disc locked DLC. People thought she was a pre-order bonus, then Bamco corrected themselves and said "season pass bonus" which made it much worse. Yeah BlazBlue Cross Tag shipped with 20 characters then sold another 20 in the season pass, the first 10 of which were not only on the disc but you actually fight them in story mode. Then of course the DOA6 situation this year.....

The King of Fighters XIV and Smash Ultimate, now that's DLC.
Tira SCVI it's like Eliza Tekken 7 situation, i don't want talking about ArcSystemWorks and KoeiTecmo DLC marketing (worse than corruption). Who the hell want to buy overpriced season pass and only including 1 character? Smash is fun and massive roster, The King of Fighters XIV is good and have a massive roster too but oh god that's graphic and UI looks really outdated.

Out of topic (because i saw your avatar):
Who is the character you hate the most in Tekken 7? And hope he/she doesn't reappear in tekken franchise anymore

Last edited:
Top Bottom