• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the “Switch Pro” real?

What is the reality of the Switch Pro?

• It’s a real product that will be released at a later date

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • It was an option that Nintendo explored, but ultimately decided on the OLED instead

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • It was never real, just a bullshit rumor that got amplified by the internet hype machine

Votes: 69 50.0%
  • No answer yet, I’ll wait until we know for certain then claim that I knew the truth all along

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm sure it is real.
The announcement has been delayed obviously but there is too many evidence.

ArcaneNLSC

probably a 2022 announcement/unveiling I doubt they'll piss off consumers who just waited for the OLED version by announcing it at the end of this year though it is Nintendo so who knows

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
What evidence?
I'm really lazy to make a list, but if you've been following the stuff around that Switch Pro you know what I'm talking about (even some spec have leaked).
Nintendon't need a Switch Pro rn, so I can see a release for as late as 2023.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
My guess is that it was a real option that Nintendo explored, but ultimately they deciddd the screen was the biggest upgrade and just went with that. At this point I doubt there will be a mid-gen upgrade

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I 100% guarantee Nintendo is working on a more powerful switch or switch successor.
This %100. Whether or not it’s called “Switch Pro” or not doesn’t really matter. The Switch is selling INCREDIBLY WELL, Nintendo doesn’t care about your feelings and they will strategize for maximum profit, which includes riding this current wave of sales until the wheels fall off.

Nintendo is wacky, so who knows. I have a feeling they'll just go for a Switch 2 instead.
I agree. This Holliday season nintendo is likely to have sold 100mill units, now with this OLED model coming I'd wager it isn't likely we'll see a pro model but a successor in a year or two.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I'm really lazy to make a list, but if you've been following the stuff around that Switch Pro you know what I'm talking about (even some spec have leaked).
Nintendon't need a Switch Pro rn, so I can see a release for as late as 2023.

Just speculation though. The only evidence we got was an order for OLED screens and we know now what that was for...

reala044264d4a07b011.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member
At this point it seems more likely they're going to make a Switch 2. There are 3 models of Switch now, which seems like plenty.

GrayFoxPL

I believe it was real. Someone then decided to show sales.

Game Stop GIF

It was decided Switch 2 will go on a back burner. When sales drop they'll give it a green light.

Xellos

I don't expect a 'Pro' after the OLED announcement. Nintendo is almost certainly working on a new SoC but it's probably for a new console/Switch 2, probably for 2023.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Is Switch Pro real? Yes and no.

Yes in that they are always working on new hardware, so it always exists in some form. It's a NO that it's settled to come out in the mid-gen. Sometimes the proposition works, sometimes it doesn't. So if something interesting is conveyed, like better 3D for 3DS, then you might see a mid-gen update. But it shouldn't be taken for granted.

Is there going to be a Switch 2? Yes, most likely.

Last edited:

poodaddy

The only thing making me still believe it may be real is Richard from DF recently saying it's still in development and that it's a separate product from the Switch OLED. Richard usually knows his shit.....but it's weird that they'd decide to do the OLED as a stop gap of sorts.

UnNamed

Banned
Nintendo already said they want to expand Switch family with devices with new form factor. They also have partnership with Nvidia and other companies for new products.

I think Nintendo really wanted to show the Switch Pro but they have a lack of key components now. Nvidia can't currently give them a new cpu or a smaller one, they are stuck with the old 16nm cpu, the only they don't have problem to produce. In 2022 they'll have the new chip built with a new process.

Fbh

I think they might have considered a slightly enhanced version but ultimately decided on the Oled model.

I don't think the Switch Pro with 4K 60fps BoTW2 that some people around here were expecting was ever a real thing and I don't think we'll see a Switch iteration with significant hardware upgrades until Nintendo is ready to announce a Switch 2 or whatever their next console is called.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I think they will ride out the current model for another two years or so then roll out a better one called Switch 2 as a new generation machine.

Last edited:

M16

Companies are always exploring and creating prototypes internally. It doesnt mean these all go to production. This "switch pro" could have been just a prototype to begin building an SDK for a future switch project. Probably someone got wind of one such case and made a big story about it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I answered in the wrong thread, so, eh, here you go:

Ozzie666

I am guessing the PRO is very real, but the games probably aren't close to ready due to the pandemic. The OLED is a quick stop gap to keep the Switch relevant and on fire this holiday season. I would also guess there was a lot of confusion with the reporting of what was coming, the two were mixed. If Nintendo switched to a better node process they could increase the power and battery, but it still wouldn't be a 4k system. I almost expect another iteration of the Switch on a better process as an enhanced upclocked release.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It probably never got beyond R&D stage. For what? Switch is selling like crazy. What I am baffled by is that they did not improve on the Bluetooth or Wifi going into holiday 2021…

ShadowLag

I think we'll see the next major console from them instead of a pro Switch model. They'll ride it out with the OLED and continue to sell bazillions of copies of Zelda and Mario Kart until then.

Zannegan

At this point, since they aren't putting out a pro this year, a Switch 2 seems like the only logical thing to come next. That's why I'm half certain we'll get a pro next year. Lol.

It's real when Nvidia or someone makes a new mobile GPU that's dirt cheap Like the Tegra was. Heck they might not even go with them next time given the security loop whole that was on Gen1 units.

Jorav

In my dystopian reality i'd like to think the OLED model was the pro but they couldn't secure the relevant components to implement it so this was the 11th hour compromise.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Switch OLED isn't Pro enough for you???

In my dystopian reality i'd like to think the OLED model was the pro but they couldn't secure the relevant components to implement it so this was the 11th hour compromise.
The "Pro" parts aren't ready, nor is the probable node to be used hitting the sweet spot for Nintendo, that's for sure.

But they could have done a pro model with better docked clocks regardless; they just had to pull a dock with cooling and going from 768 MHz peak to 1267 MHz would be feasible, that's a 62,5% clock increase (1267 Mhz being the T214 actual spec).

This console generation also showed us inventive cooling solutions, so I'm sure more could be done to cool a Nintendo Switch as is.

Top Bottom