• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Superman the biggest pussy in comic book movie history?

Super Man is a product of his time. He is outdated and lame. One of the worst superheroes ever. Zach was right to try to at least update him in modern times.

Madflavor

Superman is a great character, but a lot of filmmakers and writers don't know how to properly portray him.

He's most definitely not a pussy, and knows how to fight. He regularly has to take on being as powerful or more powerful than him. It's just that, again, some people don't know how to write him.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Someone needs to take the superman critique from Kill Bill 2 and base a superman movie around that.

Or seriously depower EVERYONE, set supes at the Fleisher cartoons level, and adjust the rest accordingly.

Just let Brandon Sanderson crunch on power levels and rankings for the entire DC universe. In a week he'll have rigid rules for use in comparing each hero/villain to each other. Its the power drift of A beats B and C beats A, but B beats C, and D beats A&B but loses to C but only in Cs book that causes these wild fluctuations where Aquaman can lift a damned sub in his film but not punch the bad guy to the moon in a JL flim.

GloveSlap

Most of the time he is either too powerful or too weak (kryptonite) to make for a good story. The animated series struck a good balance by powering him down some and having him fight aliens/powerful villains.

Madflavor

You know people can shit on Superman and the DC Universe all they want, but the fact of the matter is people didn't give a fuck about characters like Iron Man, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, Ant Man, or any of those guys, until Kevin Feige used his talent and knowledge to create the MCU with the help of other talented people, who also knew how to properly portray those characters. Are you really going to tell me that the same thing couldn't have been done to a character like Superman, the most iconic superhero ever, if Warner Brothers just had their own people equally as talented and knowledgeable?

Marvel got lucky, and DC didn't. The right circumstances and people were in place to make the MCU happen, and have all those characters, some of which were C grade heroes, become pop culture icons. Maybe someday the same will happen to Warner Brothers and DC.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Easily the lamest popular super hero of all time. That's quite the accomplishment.

I wish One Piece would still run long enough to kick him out of the Top spot of the "Most Comics Book sold worldwide" ranglist.

But One Piece will not run long enough but at least it beat Batman.

Super Man is a product of his time. He is outdated and lame. One of the worst superheroes ever. Zach was right to try to at least update him in modern times.

John Byrne did that in the 1980s after Crisis. Byrne's Superman started out being "powerful" but had far more limits than his Silver Age self (which the movies all seem to be cribbing off of). He didn't really start to get powerful again until after his "death" in the 90s.

carlosrox

Banned
Marvel got lucky

You pretty much coulda just left it at this.

Marvel movies are pretty much okay, nothing special about them. Mainly a bunch of mainstream hype. They became household names cuz Marvel was crammed down everyone's throat and many people jumped on the bandwagon. And even then it mostly applies to the bigger names. Most people don't give a rat's ass about all the C Marvel characters. Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America are the only ones I could say are icons with a straight face, and they were already pretty famous before hand - they just received a significant boost after the new movies.

DC always ends up with the better films thanks to Batman. Ain't no Marvel movie has come fucking CLOSE to the highs of Batman.

Batman 1989, Dark Knight, The Joker? Those 3 movies are so much better than all the sarcastic, self aware MCU shit they pump out. I heard Black Panther was supposed to be this amazing movie, I watched it, and I was like meh 🥱

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No lies OP. Superman Returns really was creepy. Funny how we never heard a thing about his son again.
I really love Man of Steel though. General Zod was a bad ass.

You probably won't believe this but Jason was actually mentioned in the Arrowverse crossover Crisis on Infinite Earth's on TheCW... Brandon Routh played his Superman Returns character, which was actually a continuation of the Christopher Reeves Superman... He even mentioned "I even went crazy and fought myself" ... Referencing Superman 3.

But I agree... Man of Steel is the best Superman movie and my favorite DC movie.. tied with BvS. Can't wait for the Snyder Cut this March.

TheGrat1

Someone needs to take the superman critique from Kill Bill 2 and base a superman movie around that.

Or seriously depower EVERYONE, set supes at the Fleisher cartoons level, and adjust the rest accordingly.

Just let Brandon Sanderson crunch on power levels and rankings for the entire DC universe. In a week he'll have rigid rules for use in comparing each hero/villain to each other. Its the power drift of A beats B and C beats A, but B beats C, and D beats A&B but loses to C but only in Cs book that causes these wild fluctuations where Aquaman can lift a damned sub in his film but not punch the bad guy to the moon in a JL flim.
It is simpler to lift a submarine than punch someone to the moon. To do that Aquaman's fist would have to move at escape velocity (7 miles per second) and he is not a speedster. He probably tops out around 60 mph. Comic book Flash can punch people into orbit and he can not lift submarines. Cavill Superman can actually punch above the speed of sound, that is why he regularly sends people flying hundreds of feet at a time when he makes contact and clearly punches harder that Aquaman on film.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Imo Goku can beat Superman, Death Battle is trash.

Superheroes in general, are dumb imo. Batman is the ultimate edgelord that every edgelord hating person likes just because they want to seem cool on the internet.

cd_jakevas

LOL at the OP. As a child of the early 80s, growing up the 80s Superman movies were awesome to me as a kid. I tried to watch one a few years ago and they did not age well.

Given that, I think Batman v Superman and Man of Steel to be very good movies.

Top Bottom