• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is SMT: Nocturne better than Digital Devil Saga 2?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
At the monent I am playing DDS2 and Im just amazed by this game. Its one of the best games Ive ever played. Everything seems to have been done so well. The graphics are really nice, the music is good, the story is amazing and the voice acting is some of the best this generation. Its hard to find a better RPG this gen.

Thats what I thought. By the sounds of it, SMT: Nocturne seems to get more praise than DDS does. Ive never had the chance to play Nocturne, but i really want to play it! Ive heard some people say that its better than DDS, but Ive also heard the opposite. Which game is actually better?

Prospero

I think that Nocturne is better.

Part of the bias toward Nocturne might come from the fact that DDS recycles some graphics from it--most of the lesser monsters (though not the bosses, at least so far).

That said, reasons that Nocturne's better--

--it's long, something like 70 hours for me.

--the battle system is excellent--the press turn system of DDS is a drastically simplified version of the battle system in Nocturne. I won't go into the details of Nocturne's battle system here (they're easily available online), but think of DDS crossed with the addictive collection aspects of a game like Pokemon.

--it's brutally difficult for an RPG. I've seen the game over screen of DDS maybe three times so far, and I'm about eighteen hours in. Expect to get a game over in Nocturne several dozen times. And you'll love it.

--I prefer Nocturne's storytelling to DDS's (thought that's not a knock against DDS). Nocturne has a strong story, but it tends to tell it through integrating the elements of the story into the environments you pass through, rather than using cutscenes. There are almost no cutscenes in Nocturne, but the story is just as well developed as DDS's.

The End

Short answer: yes.

The story is better, the demon-collecting is highly addictive, and the "moral flexibility" of the story is slightly preferable to the "savior" aspect of DDS2.

psycho_snake

Prospero said:
I think that Nocturne is better.

Part of the bias toward Nocturne might come from the fact that DDS recycles some graphics from it--most of the lesser monsters (though not the bosses, at least so far).

That said, reasons that Nocturne's better--

--it's long, something like 70 hours for me.
If you combine the total time Ive spent playing DDS1 and 2, it will probably add up to somthing like 60 - 70.

--the battle system is excellent--the press turn system of DDS is a drastically simplified version of the battle system in Nocturne. I won't go into the details of Nocturne's battle system here (they're easily available online), but think of DDS crossed with the addictive collection aspects of a game like Pokemon.
This is probably an aspect where Nocturne does definately beat DDS. DDS has a rather simple battle system and for JRPGs a really fun and exiting battle system is needed to keep the player entertained. Im not saying DDS has a bad battle system, but uits one which has room for improvement.

One great thing about DDS is the mantra grid, which is used to learn new moves for your characters. In DDS2 that was done really well

--it's brutally difficult for an RPG. I've seen the game over screen of DDS maybe three times so far, and I'm about eighteen hours in. Expect to get a game over in Nocturne several dozen times. And you'll love it.
I dont think so, I usually stop playing a game when it becomes insaely difficult and I keep dying. In DDS I didnt die that much but with DDS2 Ive already died nearly a dozen times:p

--I prefer Nocturne's storytelling to DDS's (thought that's not a knock against DDS). Nocturne has a strong story, but it tends to tell it through integrating the elements of the story into the environments you pass through, rather than using cutscenes. There are almost no cutscenes in Nocturne, but the story is just as well developed as DDS's.
Im just in love with DDS's story at the moment. Ive not played a game with such a great story like this one in so long. Atlus seem to always make an amazing story with their games so I wouldnt be surprised if Nocturne has a better story than DDS.

I really need to play the game. can someone tell me what exactly it is about and what the gameplay is like?

The End

Well, at the very beginning of the game, the world is destroyed by a cult. Through the intervention of various parties, you're saved from this apocalypse and turned into a "demi-fiend" who can learn demon skills, but retains a human soul.

Over the course of the game, you recuit various demons to your "cause" as you decide what shape the new world will take.

psycho_snake

That sounds really cool. They stuck with the usual demon theme which they implement so well:)The way you described int The end makes ity sould a little like Pokemon, but Im sure its much cooler than that.

It seems that the story does compare to DDS1 and from what prospero said it seems that the battle system is great. Ill read into the battle system later. How good is the music?

Prospero

The End said:
[...]the "moral flexibility" of the story is slightly preferable to the "savior" aspect of DDS2.

That's one thing I miss about Nocturne when playing DDS, actually. In DDS (at least so far--don't spoil anything for me) the dialogue trees have usually consisted of a clearly good ethical choice and a bad one. In Nocturne the dialogue trees made you decide who you were going to screw over, e.g., but there was never really a choice that was clearly marked as "good"--all of the decisions you made had positive and negative consequences.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I want all three of these games. Suggestions?

Other than "bend over."

The End

psycho_snake said:
That sounds really cool. They stuck with the usual demon theme which they implement so well:)The way you described int The end makes ity sould a little like Pokemon, but Im sure its much cooler than that.

It seems that the story does compare to DDS1 and from what prospero said it seems that the battle system is great. Ill read into the battle system later. How good is the music?

utterly fantastic. if you don't mind spending the extra money, try to find the original release, it included the soundtrack.

admittedly, there are some similarities to Pokemon, but considering how old the SMT series is, it's more like Pokemon is similar to SMT.

Personally I found DDS to be more accessible and a bit more enjoyable overall. Nocturne never really grabbed me... a lot of the game felt like trudging through a chore. It's definitely good but it has some obnoxious aspects.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I don't think I'm going to finish DDS2, at least for a while, there's too many better things out. That said, SMT: Nocturne definitely feels like a classic. It's setting, story, art, difficulty, etc. It's memorable in a way DDS isn't and I bet it's remembered as such in years to come.

birdchili

Didn't play DDS, but loved Nocturne (didn't really feel like tackling DDS after my 80ish hours in Nocturne - loved it, but I was *done* at that point).

Was pretty dissapointed in the recruitment in Nocturne though... It seemed like there wasn't really anything to it - you just did what the demon said and crossed your fingers. Occasionally you had to answer a question "correctly" for that type of demon, but not nearly often enough. It seemed to be crying out for a system like they used for Persona on the PS1, where you had dialog options based on the people in your party, and you had to figure out the personality of the demon and act accordingly (some demons wanted to be flattered, others required obsequiousness, some wanted just friendly, etc...). The Nocturne demons have personality, but it doesn't seem to matter as much as it should.

That said, I agree that Nocturne is a classic. The combat it tight, fast, and constantly interesting. The art is fantastic, some of the dungeons are brilliant, and you feel like you get to create a personality for your character in a way that few games allow you to. It's one of very few rpgs that I anticipate I'll re-play at some future date.

Total time on DDS 1 and 2, to date: 38 hours 54 minutes
Total time on Nocturne, to date: 137 hours 33 minutes

I'm a picking motherfucker as to where I spend my gaming time. I haven't broken the 100 hour mark since 1999. Nocturne is so good it hurts.

Tarazet

keeblerdrow said:
Total time on DDS 1 and 2, to date: 38 hours 54 minutes
Total time on Nocturne, to date: 137 hours 33 minutes

I'm a picking motherfucker as to where I spend my gaming time. I haven't broken the 100 hour mark since 1999. Nocturne is so good it hurts.

You know, you're right. Stuff it - I'm going to return two of my DDS and get a copy of Nocturne to play instead. Fry's has a bunch of them.. there's no soundtrack, but I won't miss it because the music is all kinda low-res and poorly synthesized anyway, if you ask me.

The End

Nocturne is the best RPG of the generation. Hands Down. The only thing that even comes close is Dragon Quarter.

edit: and yeah, I spent more on Nocturne than I will the two DDS games combine. Trust me, the "Maniax" ending in Nocturne is well worth the time.

IJoel

Does DDS2 has the same encounter rate as DDS? I haven't finished DDS because I became extremely annoyed after random battles every 4-5 seconds (and no, that's no exaggeration.)

zarkand

I am playing Nocturne right now. I played and beat DDS1 before playing Nocturne, and than took a break from Nocturne to play and beat DDS2. Right now on my first game and right now I am the Amala Temple, and so far Nocturne does seems harder. That is in terms of bosses, there has really hasnot been a random battle were I will get completely destoryed if I don't have the right skills, in this case demons or magatama. Well there was a few times with my game ended in one turn, like when a demon casted a hama spell on the main character. I played DDS first and Hama was a demi type attack, my jaw dropped when I say that gameover screen for the first time after than.

One of the things I don't like about Nocturne is that your character forgets the skills he learns. While it does makes sure you choose the right skills, I get so worried about forgetting a skill and then the game will become impossible to beat.

Overall I think I like the DDSaga better, the sum of its parts really seem to add up. I do like having to choose what reason you'll side with. But
all these people with Reason are insane. I watched the part with Chiaki finds her Reason and transforms, and talks about how strength is beauty, in my head am like, honey you got real ugly, real fast.

psycho_snake

IJoel said:
Does DDS2 has the same encounter rate as DDS? I haven't finished DDS because I became extremely annoyed after random battles every 4-5 seconds (and no, that's no exaggeration.)
Its probably the same, but I really do think you are exaggerating. Ive played both DDS1 and DDS2 and the battles do not come every 4 or 5 seconds. DDS probably does have a higher encounter rate than most RPG's, but not as frequently as you mentioned. If you thought the encounter rate was too high in DDS, then its best that you stay away from DDS2 because its just the same

Top Bottom