• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is RTX a waste of Money?

Haggard

Banned
RT gets interesting the moment GI with a sufficient ray count and bounce depth is implemented and all available lightsources are considered.
Incidentally that`s also where it gets really expensive which is why we`ll probably not see it on consoles this gen.
I´m talking about metro exodus enhanced edition level RT and up, even though Control and CP2077 aren`t that bad either.

RT as it`s implemented in Tomb Raider is a nearly pointless waste of resources.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
worth it for minecraft and spoodermon miles morales (fucking boring ass game tho)
everything else i have seen not so much

cyber 2077 was boring as hell reflective puddles woop die fucking doo.. can easily be done with SSR

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Confused Larry David GIF

For lighting it can do incredible things, reflections benefit pretty greatly too, shadows have a less appreciable difference.

I wouldn't say it's a waste, but it's a hell of a premium.

pr0cs

Not worth the tradeoffs..yet..
Still haven't found any game where I thought I was missing out when RT was off.

Hardware isnt upto the task.

RTX has lot of potential from creating lighting systems to next gen textures/ skin tones etc.

Md Ray

When you get games like the enhanced edition of Metro Exodus with a dramatic difference in graphics rendering, then yeah.

Also, guys let's not forget tensor cores that's part of RTX which alone, imo, makes RTX GPUs worth it.

EDIT: almost all of you seem to forget that DLSS also comes under RTX umbrella, it's not just ray tracing = RTX.

Last edited:

Esppiral

What I've seen so far this gen reflections are a waste using incredible low assets isn't supposed to raytrace the scene? then why all the reflections in games have the same polygon budget as a PS2 game? So far I've only seen faketracing....

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
What I've seen so far this gen reflections are a waste using incredible low assets isn't supposed to raytrace the scene? then why all the reflections in games have the same polygon budget as a PS2 game? So far I've only seen faketracing....
Playing on what?

Trimesh

Banned
I've got a last gen card (RTX2080) and honestly I find the performance impact of turning RTX on simply not worth it. Sometimes I'm not really sure I can tell from the visual changes - but I can certainly tell from the way the frame rate tanks.

Yeah, for me, RTX is worth it. RayTracing in general is worth it, once the cost becomes trivial (Hardware requirements wise) that's when we'll see the glory of it. Lighting/light baking is such a huge burden on dev teams.

lukilladog

I told you, graphics don´t need to be accurate because a decent approximation is generally good enough to fool your brains. And even though a few people seem to think that it is such a big leap in lighting, let´s remember that they are usually comparing the "look at me", sweetened lighting (paid by the nvidia marketing dept.), to lighting implementations meant to run on gtx 750ti like, base hardware as the basis (ps4); or java in the case of minecraft.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I told you, graphics don´t need to be accurate because a decent approximation is generally good enough to fool your brains. And even though a few people seem to think that it is such a big leap in lighting, let´s remember that they are usually comparing the "look at me", sweetened lighting (paid by the nvidia marketing dept.), to lighting implementations meant to run on gtx 750ti like, base hardware as the basis (ps4); or java in the case of minecraft.
UE5 Demo's Lumens had everyone fooled at first glance, even the "experts," down to even the resolution.

ethomaz

Banned
If it was only RTX.... maybe but there are others techs that makes RTX worth.
I should say a must to have if you are in PC gaming.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Pleasantly surprised this isn't a hardware unboxed video.

And to answer the question, no it's not.

Mozzarella

I think Cyberpunk without Ray Tracing looks bad, with ray tracing it looks great. 2022+ video games will begin to sell on the ray tracing.

SantaC

RTX is not a waste DLSS is enough to justify for me.
DLSS has to be supported by the game developers. It is not built into every game. For example RE8 doesnt support it.

I think DLSS is the most hyperbole term when it comes to nvidias cards.

I've only seen RTX in action on my mates PC that uses a 2070 Super, I couldn't tell too much of a difference so I'd say no.

Then again, my eyes are a tad buggered.

Watch the DF of Metro: Exodus enhanced edition, built ground up with RT required

Looks absolutely incredible

CP77 with RT maxed out is transformative

With DLSS, a 3060 Ti can get you smooth RT performance at 1440p ultra

Last edited:
The title of the video isn't really the same as his conclusion. He even shows the huge difference in Metro Exodus at the end. However, rasterized lighting is also incredibly advanced at this point, which is good as the new consoles won't be able to do advanced ray tracing.

And a major benefit is that ray tracing allows developers to spend less time setting up fake lighting and faking reflections, and to spend more time building the game instead.

Denton

It depends on how it is used. I find it bizzare that Linus would demonstrate RT's "worthiness" on something as useless as Tomb Raider.

Meanwhile in Control, Metro Exodus, Cyberpunk 2077, Watch Dogs Legion and Quake 2, the difference is dramatic and immediate.

dcx4610

The cliffs are that Linus thinks that the fakery that developers have used over the years has come so close to what RTX does, it's hard to tell the difference in a lot of games. As an example, devs can program water to have reflections and it looks nearly as good as what RTX does.

I still think RTX is superior and some games look mindblowing with it but to his point, there aren't a lot of games as of it yet that really take advantage of it. The ones that do though are pretty amazing. Here's a good video:

Last edited:
Top Bottom