• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PSVR, and PSVR 2 the reason you're going with PS5 this generation? Poll Inside.

Is PSVR or PSVR2 the reason you're going with PlayStation or PS5 this gen?

• Total voters

Romulus

Imagine Kinect or 3dtv being used by the US Air Force's best. These are basically modified consumer VR setups lol. The lenses and systems used here are not that much different from what I have at home.

Again, a real race car driver using it for training. And, this is from 2 years ago, VR has improved a lot since especially the resolution.

There's just no comparison to it. Just the idea that kinect or some of these gimmicks could come close to this is laughable.

Last edited:
PSVR2 is the reason I will eventually pick up a PS5, and even bother with consoles upcoming gen. I main PC/PCVR, used to have both an Xbone and PS4 but sold them. The only games I was really jealous of this gen were a couple of PSVR games, but I couldn't be bothered with PSVR because of how weak the tracking/controller solution was. The couple patents of possible PSVR2 hardware show that Sony is likely making the right moves this time around.

People that keep saying VR is dead have no idea what they're talking about. The tech isn't going away, it's too far along. And it's not going away for gaming, either. It may change forms, but it's here to stay. "But no gamez" is even more ridiculous....this is first gen CONSUMER tech, meaning yes VR has been around for a long time, but it's been prohibitively expensive without huge jumps in innovation until now. And the VR gaming ecosystem is therefore amazing considering the timeline. Look at the Quest 2 and what that is compared to what VR was 10 years ago in price, capability, ergonomics and ecosystem (hint: its almost not even the same thing categorically), then realize this is only the beginning. The tech is advancing by an order of magnitude. More games will follow

Last edited:
PSVR2 is the reason I will eventually pick up a PS5, and even bother with consoles upcoming gen. I main PC/PCVR, used to have both an Xbone and PS4 but sold them. The only games I was really jealous of this gen were a couple of PSVR games, but I couldn't be bothered with PSVR because of how weak the tracking/controller solution was. The couple patents of possible PSVR2 hardware show that Sony is likely making the right moves this time around.

People that keep saying VR is dead have no idea what they're talking about. The tech isn't going away, it's too far along. And it's not going away for gaming, either. It may change forms, but it's here to stay. "But no gamez" is even more ridiculous....this is first gen CONSUMER tech, meaning yes VR has been around for a long time, but it's been prohibitively expensive without huge jumps in innovation until now. And the VR gaming ecosystem is therefore amazing considering the timeline. Look at the Quest 2 and what that is compared to what VR was 10 years ago in price, capability, ergonomics and ecosystem (hint: its almost not even the same thing categorically), then realize this is only the beginning. The tech is advancing by an order of magnitude. More games will follow

Facebook and Valve have been investing serious money on it. So has Sony. It's definitely not going away.

I held off on psvr 1. Hoping it gets a full successor for ps5 in 21/22. I want to be very impressed with my first experience and I felt psvr 1 was lacking slightly.

How do you know it was lacking if you're still to get your first experience in VR?

either way, feel free to be disappointed with your first experience with a nextgen 4K per eye VR headset: you'll still bitch about graphics and resolution being nothing like tv gaming... there are other requirements and benefits that trump over graphics whoring in VR, mainly immersion, real 3D depth at scale and natural framerate

Madjako

How do you know it was lacking if you're still to get your first experience in VR?

either way, feel free to be disappointed with your first experience with a nextgen 4K per eye VR headset: you'll still bitch about graphics and resolution being nothing like tv gaming... there are other requirements and benefits that trump over graphics whoring in VR, mainly immersion, real 3D depth at scale and natural framerate
I agree. Psvr1 has not a good resolution but I 'm always amazed by what I see while playing. That's why I' m waiting for the psvr2, it only can get better (no cable, better resolution,...).
BTW you can already watch movies, 3d movies, YouTube vr,... The experience is already complete.
But this is something you can't really explain, you have to try it to love it.
A lot of my friends and family tried it, and most of them love it. But I have to say that a small pourcentage of them hate it or don't feel the depth of fields, the 3d effects.

Kerotan

I read user reviews and decided I'd hold out for gen 2. Simple as that.

Wonko_C

I've owned PSVR for 3 years by now. I rarely turn on my PS4 to play flat games anymore, (I'm bored of most AAA games, I mainly play flat indies, and my old PC still serves me fine for them.) but I turn it on daily for morning cardio with BoxVR, and in the evenings I chip at my VR backlog.

So yes it's the sole reason I'll get a PS5, but once PSVR 2 is announced. In the meantime, I'm thinking of building a new PC for VR and an Oculus Quest 2. Devs not patching PSVR games to take advantage of the PS5 outside of Blood & Truth is another reason I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
No. I had a PSVR for a few years and barely used it after the first 2 or 3 months. I just don't enjoy being that shut off from things around me (I'm too much of a multitasker and have a shit attention span), don't like wearing a headset and dealing with sweat and lens fogging when playing any games with a lot of motion (which are the only ones I really liked).

I sold my PSVR stuff off to help offset the cost of moving on to a 4K, HDR TV for the next gen consoles. Sony exclusives are why I have a PS5 as their games have had a huge presence on my games of the generation list the past two times around. Also bought an XSX for Gamepass (not upgrading my PC) and their exclusives and a Switch and Switch lite for Nintendo games and retro/retro styled indie games I prefer on a small screen Put simply, games are the only reason I buy into a platform.

rob305

I sold my PSVR a couple of weeks ago since i bought a Quest 2, cant be bothered with cables anymore.
If the PSVR2 is wireless i'll get that day 1 though!

Oculus Quest 2, the standalone marvel will help a lot. But for real widespread adoption, you need the big trendy flat games aboard

this thread is 2 months old. Now I have a Quest 2 and couldn't care less about flatgaming or PS5 altogether, very old retro button-mashing gaming that keeps getting recycled with new shiny graphics and little else...

anyway, tons of kids asked for a Quest 2 this Christmas and they're not asking for the likes of COD, Zelda, Pokemon: they're excited to play in VR the likes of Minecraft, Roblox, FNAF etc. If I were Nintendo, Sony and company, I'd be concerned that old game heroes are not prominent anymore among new audiences...

In my opinion nobody should be buying console VR. The best thing right now in the early days of this tech, is all the strange and unique experiences you can have. You're not going to get that on a closed off system like a console. And if you don't have roomscale, you're wasting your time.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Actually, PSVR it's one of the reasons I didn't pick up a PS5. Playing the PSVR on the PS4 is often times a blurry mess; the PS4 Pro's additional grunt allows many games to employ super-sampling, which cleans up the image extensively. It's still blurry, but tolerable. Looking to the PS5, it still doesn't have the horse power to push VR at native 4k resolutions, so blurry imagery is still going to be an issue on the PSVR2 if/when it launches. I'll wait for the PS5 Pro to arrive, and pick up the console and headset if/when they're available.

Romulus

Actually, PSVR it's one of the reasons I didn't pick up a PS5. Playing the PSVR on the PS4 is often times a blurry mess; the PS4 Pro's additional grunt allows many games to employ super-sampling, which cleans up the image extensively. It's still blurry, but tolerable. Looking to the PS5, it still doesn't have the horse power to push VR at native 4k resolutions, so blurry imagery is still going to be an issue on the PSVR2 if/when it launches. I'll wait for the PS5 Pro to arrive, and pick up the console and headset if/when they're available.

I think 4k is overrated for VR with SS 1440p. Looks really clean. I think we might be surprised how good new psvr2 games will look with considering it's a closed platform. Some ps4 pro games had no business looking that good with a tablet CPU that was outdated in 2013. That's the advantage of not needing to code for a bunch of PCs. A zen 2 is a colossal step up and the GPU is over 2x the pro. Not to mention if they use foverated rendering, which can save processing power.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I think 4k is overrated for VR with SS 1440p. Looks really clean. I think we might be surprised how good new psvr2 games will look with considering it's a closed platform. Some ps4 pro games had no business looking that good with a tablet CPU that was outdated in 2013. That's the advantage of not needing to code for a bunch of PCs. A zen 2 is a colossal step up and the GPU is over 2x the pro. Not to mention if they use foverated rendering, which can save processing power.
Well, kinda, but also not really. In VR, it's ultimately physical pixel density per degree of user vision that will determine image clarity, not internal rendering resolution. While 1440p on a TV or monitor might look sharp, when that's strapped to your face, 1440p still just isn't anywhere near good enough - certainly not enough of a jump to justify new hardware. You can super-sample all you want; if you don't have the physical pixels to display the data, you're still looking at soup. The PS4 Pro adding super-sampling mostly cleans up the aliasing that peppers VR games. Without the shimmer, the games look much clearer - but, if we're being honest, they're still mostly visual soup. Go a few meters into a scene, and its a blurry mess of sub-pixel colour because there just isn't enough physical dots to accurately represent the world. The PSVR operates a 1080p screen. Even a 1440p screen is only a third more pixels - it'll help, but it's nowhere near enough. A 4k screen is really the minimum amount of pixels before VR reaches decent enough clarity for me. And the base PS5 won't be pushing a 4k VR screen at native resolutions at 60FPS (120hz with interpolation). You'll need the PS5 Pro for that.

Romulus

Well, kinda, but also not really. In VR, it's ultimately physical pixel density per degree of user vision that will determine image clarity, not internal rendering resolution. While 1440p on a TV or monitor might look sharp, when that's strapped to your face, 1440p still just isn't anywhere near good enough - certainly not enough of a jump to justify new hardware. You can super-sample all you want; if you don't have the physical pixels to display the data, you're still looking at soup. The PS4 Pro adding super-sampling mostly cleans up the aliasing that peppers VR games. Without the shimmer, the games look much clearer - but, if we're being honest, they're still mostly visual soup. Go a few meters into a scene, and its a blurry mess of sub-pixel colour because there just isn't enough physical dots to accurately represent the world. The PSVR operates a 1080p screen. Even a 1440p screen is only a third more pixels - it'll help, but it's nowhere near enough. A 4k screen is really the minimum amount of pixels before VR reaches decent enough clarity for me. And the base PS5 won't be pushing a 4k VR screen at native resolutions at 60FPS (120hz with interpolation). You'll need the PS5 Pro for that.

I really just disagree. I have a Rift S and SS is leagues better than my psvr with Pro. A full generational upgrade to clarity.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I really just disagree. I have a Rift S and SS is leagues better than my psvr with Pro. A full generational upgrade to clarity.
That's fair enough; it all comes down to individuals at the end of the day. I'm glad you're enjoying the additional clarity of your headset, and I can only hope Sony deliver something similar in their next generation of VR - presuming they continue, of course.

Top Bottom