• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PS5 detectable from outside of an Apartment?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s a threat that’s common today. Broadcasting a device and someone from the outside has a connection to it. Idk about how well hackers could get to a console. That would be interesting to see.

local businesses bleed their wifi outside and if you cracked their wifi password you could get on their network.

I’d recommend renaming the console something different, enable two factor, and register the console. Maybe Sony could brick it if someone steals it. That’s my recommendation.

enable safety features on your router (everything really) and change that wifi password of yours. Understand the technology you own and you’ll be ok for the most part. Anything is possible.

Last edited:

Tickrate

Change system name to a less desirable device name in case someone gets close enough to Mira cast or w/e to the device.
This will also work for your local network, although only you should have access to that anyway.

Soodanim

Gold Member
As somebody who (unfortunately stranded by birth and stuck here, descendant of the remnants of the last lost world youth games) resides in said country can´t share your feelings about this. But i´m a nationless foreigner and lack specific german dna which seems to include the angst and stupidity in terms of all things money. Oh and i reside in the nice part of the country where milk and honey is flowing, not some eastern or northern shithole which is basically the rest of the country except the part i reside in. But even then there just is no such danger, thats more FUD than saying next gen machines do not exist and you´ll get bricks delivered in the boxes on launch day.
The truest wisdom sometimes doesn't look like wisdom at all.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I thought people would be bragging they have a PS5 and given that people loot stores I think you're good OP

I moved my PS4Pro to my bedroom to watch netflix this weekend and had to setup the wireless network.
I noticed in my routers list of devices that it left the device name as blank. But some things like my xbox one, ipad, iphone were auto filled in. So I guess it is possible to know through some means what a device is. I would think that if someone had the capablilty to know my device type then they probly also have control over my entire network. Great now I'm getting paranoid too.

MayauMiao

So with the limited Numbers PS5 was distributed to diffrent countrys (100k for Germany) it could cause Peopel who are desprate to get one but cant to maybe try to steal one. So i have an preorder secured and it will get delivered to a Poststore. ( i dont trust my Neigbors from same Apartment complex) I will pick it up there and try to enter my apartment without getting seen. (I assume any big Package will be supicious to certain people.

So with that being said - will someone from an apartment around me be able to detect that somewhere around him is an actuall PS5? Like finding it over Bluetooth or Wifi.. i own a PS4 but not even there iam sure how this is handled..
So is there any info out there regarding my Question?
Iam super nerveous about all that. I will also try to by my PS5 Gamedisks very discrete. To not give away to strangers that iam in fact own a PS5..

If your PS5 goes missing just to break into any apartment around you. With luck you may be able to steal back your PS5.

Also, your neighbors sucks.

Say the name of the people you think are causing strife in these European countries, coward.

That´s just some (rabulistic coded for those who it is adressed towards) online loudmouthing of the western white conservative left in the face of the inability to maintain itself during the ongoing competition between demographic/ethnic groups that is called life. combine that with the fact that the boomer remover is showing us evolution in real time and said demographic/ethnic group seems to be hit pretty hard and you find yourself some cryptic, fearful posts like that. nothing to worry really, just signs of shrinking relevance.

But that is way ot and should be discussed in an other part of this forum, this thread is to make fun of german angst :D

Last edited:
Idk but I know that I could play my PS3 in my living room, through the front door and across my front lawn. The bluetooth on that sucker was insane!

giphy.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think, for many people, the question is actually, "is your apartment detectable from outside the PS5."

And the answer is no.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Every time I see this thread bumped I keep thinking of the old TV show, The Young Ones

"We know you've got one, we've detected it!"

NXGamer

So with the limited Numbers PS5 was distributed to diffrent countrys (100k for Germany) it could cause Peopel who are desprate to get one but cant to maybe try to steal one. So i have an preorder secured and it will get delivered to a Poststore. ( i dont trust my Neigbors from same Apartment complex) I will pick it up there and try to enter my apartment without getting seen. (I assume any big Package will be supicious to certain people.

So with that being said - will someone from an apartment around me be able to detect that somewhere around him is an actuall PS5? Like finding it over Bluetooth or Wifi.. i own a PS4 but not even there iam sure how this is handled..
So is there any info out there regarding my Question?
Iam super nerveous about all that. I will also try to by my PS5 Gamedisks very discrete. To not give away to strangers that iam in fact own a PS5..
Do not worry man, you can just follow the master and you are safe as houses.

tumblr_mxluhcChzy1qe9ug4o1_250.gif

Every time I see this thread bumped I keep thinking of the old TV show, The Young Ones

"We know you've got one, we've detected it!"

"Vivian, eat the TV", "RIGHT!"

What a show.

Last edited:

mhirano

Seems like you live in a shithole country.
The best solution is to move to a safe country where crime is not a problem, like Brazil.
You are welcome!

I do not even live in a ghetto 🤣.
But iam sort of overerly cautious with my actions... in real life at least.
Seems like i sometimes open awkward topics here ,but i enjoy the roast 😝..
In all seriousness, i think although the topic is not of too serious nature it definitely is worth spending one or two thoughts about how much information we emit with those wifi devices to the outside world .
I will definatly rename my PS5, that was a good hint.

From what i've been told from my uncle who works at Sony, the PS5 has these in-built window sensors. What it does is locate the nearest window in your room, and the another thing they haven't spoke about is the PS5 beam light on the front. Once it has detected your window, it will beam the light out to the clouds (like the batman signal!) so to announce that you are one of the very few priveledged owners of a Sony PS5.

To turn it off, you must feed the PS5 1 finger from a child who owns an Xbox. Either that, have your PS5 stolen.

This is a true thing btw.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If you live in a neighborhood where this would actually be a problem, maybe you should move. That's definitely not normal in Germany or anywhere else in Europe.

Marlenus

If you don't live on the ground floor then yes it is easily detectable by the bow in the ceiling of the apartment below you.

Gamerguy84

Send it to me and I will keep it safe for you, it's the only way.

Seriously though you should be fine.

I wouldnt tell a bunch of people you have it though. I know OP sounds crazy but he's really not if you think about it for a second.

Everyone wants one and there aren't many that have them. Who knows how often they will be available.

Toots

Gold Member
Curiosity bump!

OP have you managed to defend your PS5 from the hordes of antifaschistisch übermenschen roaming your neighborood? Or maybe the pressure of having such a desired item proved too great and you simply sold it an bought a xbox one x, just so you could sleep at night?

death-wish-1974-charles-bronson-ending-gun.jpg

HoofHearted

Curiosity bump!

OP have you managed to defend your PS5 from the hordes of antifaschistisch übermenschen roaming your neighborood? Or maybe the pressure of having such a desired item proved too great and you simply sold it an bought a xbox one x, just so you could sleep at night?

death-wish-1974-charles-bronson-ending-gun.jpg

Top Bottom