• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is patience with EA Sports finally worn out - aka why do no journalists ever call them out?

cormack12

Gold Member
Honestly, this year could be the worst in terms of their output, gameplay and actual improvements. I'm not sure they even care about making single player games any more at whcih pint they should have to give up the licenses.

NFL '21 is pretty much a joke and has insane bugs and very little beyond a roster update. Their license is up this year so it's led to people speculting that they've just half arsed it as 2K will get the new license

Social media has been burning with the hashtag of #FixMaddenFranchise

NHL '21 won't even have a cross gen version as they wanted to concentrate on gameplay improvements which from previews have amounted to some sliders for player animations and customising slapshots. It's been in trouble for some time which is why the next gen versionw as supposedly cancelled. Responses to early reveals have not been glowing and again, fall into the same old, same old iteration with very little in way of actual updates/changes.

Some feedback from the technical tests have been given

slDkG5.jpg

m0Sxf3.jpg

FIFA '21 arguably their tied biggest franchise which again, has stagnated and drawn ire from even the hardcore FUT reddit and facebook groups. Career mode is now pretty much Champ Manager/Sim instead of focusing on the actual games. The minigames between leagues are like training scenes for interns

Not be completely down, EA are promising there are big changes in Fifa 21 - but how many times have we heard this. Volta - one of the worst game modes ever, even gets a lick of paint.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...improvements_way_more_control_over_your_squad.

They seem to be improvements EA want in the game rather than improvements that the players want. It's difficult to pull any more comments as negative feedback on agile dribbling, sweetspot, near-post shooting, pace meta have been removed from the Fifa sub so you have to go into private facebook groups

UFC 4 has taken a long break since 3 but still even though it promised a lot of improvements, most (like all the above) seem to be animation heavy improvements and haven't really addressed core issues with the game. Although simplifyng the control scheme has helped

And on the flip side there will also be the staunch defenders of the IPs, but generally you get the same complaints from all franchises that you can probably groups into

- Reskin complaint: Not enough change has been introduced. Previous issues have not been fixed
- New features/modes no-one is asking for: Introducing Blitz, UFC Ultimate Team and Volta and taking up development time that can improve the core game
- Bugs/mechanics: Released with pre-existing bugs/conditions or game mode breaking issues that quickly become a meta and completely wipe out the compettive elements of the game
- New mechanics that don't gel in the game. I'm looking at tactical defending and timed shot in Fifa which are still sort of 'beta' in my mind, though tactical defending has made bigger strides but I feel this is just because they dialled back the AI and upped the stamina

Anyway, these games routinely score above 8 and usually between 9-10, why the fuck do games reviewers never call this shit out? Why does EA get a pass on this? Is it because most mainstream game reviewers prefer to get their hair frosted and play Fall Guys with buttplugs in and don't really know how to review sports games because they are not sports fans? Do we need a brave sophnar0747 sophnar0747 to put down Kingdoms of Amalur and write a shitpiece about this?

FYI, the dual entitlement programmes is good but I think it only includes Fifa/Madden at the moment (NHL is skipping) and it carries over FUT and career progress

fifa-21-dual-entitlement-explained.jpg

5yttgc4ywl1u.png

Sleepwalker

FIFA has been mediocre the whole gen and absolute dumpster fire for the last 3 years. The gameplay does change but it's really only noticeable for the hardcore players, the changes are mostly for the worse anyway so not like it matters :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't think EA will care too much to be honest, they'll be hoping this shit dies down soon ish and pretend like it never happened or just blame COVID 19/Next gen. Then when the next gen versions come out they will blame whatever shitty issues those have on having to develop the game for both gens.

The biggest issue these games have IMO is the Frostbite engine, it's garbage, the games took a nosedive in quality (which wasnt super high, but fun ish) the minute they ported everything to it and has been crap ever since. It's full of shitty bugs, the player physics are wonky on their best day and make no sense on the worst ones. Calling the collision system inconsistent would be a compliment. While the ball physics really don't exist, it doesn't actually have "free movement" as it's always invisibly attached to a player (or 2 when it's loose).

Kokoloko85

Time for EA not to have the monopoly on sports game licenses.

They are shit, lazy, greedy and they need to go.
They would probably die as a company without NFL and Fifa.

So Be it

Calverz

Its cute you think games journalists are investigative. The vast majority are shills. Only the independents can have any trust. This is why mainstream reviews should also be avoided. Metacritic scores are meaningless.

Rac3r

Who told you their license is up this year?

EA maintains exclusive Madden NFL license in multiyear renewal (2026)

We're stuck with shit until 2026 at the very least. Blame the NFL for being anti-competitive, and mostly the NFLPA for continuing to sign off on this turd of a franchise. According to that article, Madden 20 was the most successful game in EA history. The older leadership within the NFL who agree to these deals don't give a fuck about video games, only profitability. If more superstars speak up about it, then the NFL might be forced to terminate the agreement. We all know they hate bad press.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
They are still doing the Volta shit in Fifa 21. Are they pushing that thing to fill the diversity quota? Bring back The Journey, that was interesting at least.

cormack12

Gold Member
Who told you their license is up this year?

I just took it from that linked reddit post and (stupidly) assumed it was correct :)

They are still doing the Volta shit in Fifa 21. Are they pushing that thing to fill the diversity quota? Bring back The Journey, that was interesting at least.

Yeah Alex Hunter was a cool little mode, that actually worked. I didn't like the Kim tangent. Danny Williams was good in the second arc because it showed the difference in knuckling down. The Kim storyline just felt a bit out of place especially with the meteroic rise to the World Cup when it's called 'The Journey'. And FYI my player in Volta was a complete copy of Alex Morgan from the USA team so no, I'm not *ist.

TTOOLL

They should just release a base game and update roosters for 3, 4 years and then work on a new version during this time. But people will buy any shit nowadays so who can blame them?

Hudo

And yet, EA Sports are still raking in millions because there's no real alternative to their sports games monopoly. There were Konami with PES for a bit in the mid 2000s, where PES actually managed to be equal or better to FIFA but those times are long gone. And with Andrew Wilson at the helm of EA, I don't see it changing. The guy got the position of CEO because he was responsible for the whole "ultimate team"-microtransaction bullshit in EA Sports titles.... The dude needs to go (but he won't because his shit actually makes money for EA, so there's no reason for the board of directors to kick him out)

Kdad

Have i missed the NeoGAF post about EA injecting real time ads into UFC...is there any kind of warning prior to paying for the game that its a live advert with a flash wrassle game layered on top?

CitizenX

Banned
Thats like asking fake news, will you ever do a negative news segment on the President or humans who do not agree with you? In other news, rain is wet.

Andodalf

Banned
Because game journalists know that sports games are going to sports game. Putting out a game every year is tough, and they really don’t have big teams at all, with Covid slowing things down they really shouldn’t have put out new games at all but they did anyway.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I’m sure part of the difficulty is that other AAA titles are taking 5+ years to make now but sports games still only get 1 year and with a hard release date that can’t be moved.

And yet, EA Sports are still raking in millions because there's no real alternative to their sports games monopoly. There were Konami with PES for a bit in the mid 2000s, where PES actually managed to be equal or better to FIFA but those times are long gone. And with Andrew Wilson at the helm of EA, I don't see it changing. The guy got the position of CEO because he was responsible for the whole "ultimate team"-microtransaction bullshit in EA Sports titles.... The dude needs to go (but he won't because his shit actually makes money for EA, so there's no reason for the board of directors to kick him out)

This is a chicken and the egg situation.

FIFA sells the license because they need money. EA has the money that nobody else does.
Nobody else could make a FIFA game because they would need billions of upfront investment. Twelve year old boys and girls want to play as Messi with real FC Barcelona kit.

JLB

Banned
Time for EA not to have the monopoly on sports game licenses.

They are shit, lazy, greedy and they need to go.
They would probably die as a company without NFL and Fifa.

So Be it

Its not feasible to introduce many changes on anual releases. At some point, id be better to have all these games as services, buying season passes and dlcs.
And they are not the worst in terms of draconian practices: 2k is in a complete different league. In any case, its sad to see how FUT become a so irritating pay to win experience.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

This is a chicken and the egg situation.

FIFA sells the license because they need money. EA has the money that nobody else does.
Nobody else could make a FIFA game because they would need billions of upfront investment. Twelve year old boys and girls want to play as Messi with real FC Barcelona kit.

Yeah licenses are everything. Then add the fact that FIFA is probably the most corrupt sports entity around and you get the perfect recipe for a clusterfuck. They don't care what happens to their license or image, only the millions being made.

Top Bottom