• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is obsession with social media making game developers decline mentally?

She definitely seems like she's what she thought "hard R" stood for.
This thread might be closed soon, but before it is I wanted to let people know that this all started from a recent Linus slip up.

I think the person in OPs twitter was attempting to be funny or is incredibly naive.

Sentenza

I think the person in OPs twitter was attempting to be funny or is incredibly naive.
I never even heard of the phrasing "dropping a hard R" before that Linus episode you posted (and I watched that completely randomly too, since I rarely follow his channel to begin with).
Not everyone is terminally online and not everyone is from the US.

Obsession with social media makes anybody decline mentally.
Not even a comedic or dramatic exaggeration at this point. Just go and read something about the documented effects of "TikTok brain", especially on the younger population.
It's some pretty alarming shit.

Last edited:
I never even heard of the phrasing "dropping a hard R" before that Linus episode you posted (and I watched that completely randomly too, since I rarely follow his channel to begin with).
Not everyone is terminally online.
For some reason that clip of Linus hit the YouTube algorithm pretty hard, to the point where I saw it recommended to people who have never looked at anything tech related on their account.

I don’t know the person in the OP. I was making a vague assumption because I agree with your take.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This thread might be closed soon, but before it is I wanted to let people know that this all started from a recent Linus slip up.

Man, the mental gymnastics you have to perform just to avoid saying a stupid word while making a passive argument is exactly the kind of rampant idiocy we stooped down to in order to navigate modern internet culture.

I just watched a youtube clip the other day where some reporter back in the 90s asked Eazy-E about the use of the n-word in his songs, and she just straight up said it to his face and he didn't get up in arms about it because he understood that she wasn't calling him that. God, people are so fucking stupid these days.

Last edited:
Man, the mental gymnastics you have to perform just to avoid saying a stupid word while making a passive argument is exactly the kind of rampant idiocy we stooped down to in order to navigate modern internet culture.

I just watched a youtube clip the other day where some reporter back in the 90s asked Eazy-E about the use of the n-word in his songs, and she just straight up said it to his face and he didn't get up in arms about it because he understood that she wasn't calling him that. God, people are so fucking stupid these days.
If you think of words like RPG weapons it can be less of a thing to get upset over. That word is a legendary weapon that has a 50% chance solidarity ability, but has a 50% chance of critical damage on cast. The 50% chance relies on the racial passives. That 50% chance of critical damage will be self inflicted depending on who wields it.

The R-word Linus was talking about was patched. It used to be a common drop but now it’s been upgraded to a rare.

I think it's fair to say that the obsession with social media by the human race is making us decline mentally..... nah just entirely decline from head to toe.

I can't even imagine having to be "on" like this all the time. I'm glad I'm too fucking old to have even once wondered if I need Twitter, TikTok or any of it. This is enough social media for me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

LOL.

I thought Hard R meant retarded. I actually had to google a minute ago to know what it meant.

But depending what site you check it can mean different things.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Brianna Wu is retarded. There I said it. Snip it, and send it to her.
Internet whores are the worst thing on social media. Anything for clicks and attention.

You dont even get the average CEO of a company publicly gabbing so much trying to drive sales and brand recognition. The CEO of my company doesn't even have a Twitter account. And his Linkedin page is barely used and almost entirely blank. The only time you hear from him is the typical PR he does during a quarterly earnings release.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I can't even imagine having to be "on" like this all the time. I'm glad I'm too fucking old to have even once wondered if I need Twitter, TikTok or any of it. This is enough social media for me.
Loud social media types skew young. And they grew up with it. You dont see too many 52 year olds going ape shit on Twitter or Instagram.

It'll be interesting to see if there's a study later tracking whether or not people outgrow this shit later in life. I'm assuming yes, since the older someone gets the more you focus on a career, kids, spouse and running a household.

But you never know. Maybe a lot of these social media whores, grifters, and addicts will do it right till retirement age.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Fr18pdYaMAAhlBI

(tweet made below they deleted it)

Staring Season 1 GIF by AniDom

Not a chance in hell this person, of all people, doesn't know what the Hard R is.
Even as self-centered and off the rocker as she is, this is beyond impossible.

Anyway, the obsession with social media has made millions of people decline mentally. Game devs and many public figures related to the gaming hobby and market seem to be of the lunatic persuasion quite disproportionately too, and this has been clear for a while.

th4tguy

Most people suck. Before social media, we just had less opportunities to see it for ourselves.
Social media has only allowed for a more unfiltered view of how people really are.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It ain’t just gaming.

Never look at your favourite writers, musicians or actors on Twitter.
I only look at Twitter when someone posts a gaming related post here, or if I'm checking sports articles and the editor linked in a tweet showing a highlight reel play or game winning goal. And that's already enough Twitter for me. I dont have an account. Or an Instagram or Tik Tok either.

I'm not surprised at media and creative types being loud. They crave attention and stardom. And when nobody notices their drawing or b-side song they get depressed.

It's like watching an old late night TV talk show. Actor A is in dramas. He/she talks about life, the upcoming movie they are promoting, answers questions chill. Late night host asks Robin WIlliams or Rodney Dangerfield the same questions and it's 20 minutes of goofing, Na-nu Na-nu, and scripted I get no respect jokes. Always got to be on.

Last edited:
Exactly. Social media was a mistake

Nope, unregulated access with no learning curve to social media was a mistake.

Old Social Media outside of a few bbs board sites were generally uphill slopes to get into, even the older video uploading sites (or rather clip if you go earlier than those) and then that started to decline later.

Friendster and Myspace were warnings. You had the first wave of fools come in and they couldn't handle the basic stuff then. It's where the start of all those campaigns came from for the colleges and etc, and the Deviant art stuff (and similar sites) was getting the wackos who were also moving over to those two platforms.

The world would be better off without most social media.

Twitter especially serves no purpose.

Twitter is basic manipulation made into a social site.

It was only really there initially to follow prominent figures in certain fields who would trend claims, statements, and key words which would be absorbed by the followers, which was facilitated by the hashtags, when it became a way to influence though and push topics onto people including news and politics, that's when Twitter blew up and went hard, and because it worked so well that's when other social media also gradually adopted hashtags and trends because the idea is that on such a format, people won't actually do their own research, or rarely, outside of social media, and they would learn what people would want them to learn, do what people wanted them to do, and believe what they wanted them to believe. It's one of the reasons why things are a mess because Twitter and other social media like FB became where they got their information from.

The term "grift' was not old but it exploded in use a few years ago along with other keywords, from being a trending term on these social media sites and a hashtag, and then you saw it's wide adoption. People can also start trends that Twitter may even help prop up.

I dont have an account.

For twitter that will be a problem because they are putting up timed login walls now. I used to do the same and avoid login in, but checking a conversation tree or a profile for a certain time pops-up the sign up.

Not a chance in hell this person, of all people, doesn't know what the Hard R is.

Which is what I'm thinking, if they really didn't know it wouldn't be because they are from outside the US as some people here said (which doesn't make sense person is surrounded by west coast virtue signalers and ran for a failed attempt at congress), it would be because they are completely disconnected from reality.

Barakov

So I've noticed this becoming more and more common over the last several years, but what prompted this thread was this recent bizarre post the below author deleted, and tried to brush)laugh) off poorly today,
Fr18pdYaMAAhlBI

(tweet made below they deleted it)

I feel like maybe some game developers would be better off, well, off of social media. They make themselves look bad, they made the studio or people they work with look bad, and it's clear they are too engrossed in it and it's causing a clear mental decline.

There are just some people that can't handle something so simple as social media or online interaction facing criticism. Half of these people would have barely, if at all, been online two decades ago or earlier and they can't handle this softer internet in 2023. Even a little bit of common sense or 4 second research could have prevented this tragedy from happening.

Wu was already a lunatic so that's not surprising. I do think social media in general does that to everyone by varying degrees. Cutting it out of your life can only be a net positive.

SHA

Not everyone is terminally online and not everyone is from the US.

Not even a comedic or dramatic exaggeration at this point. Just go and read something about the documented effects of "TikTok brain", especially on the younger population.
It's some pretty alarming shit.
It's a work of art , reactions should be more vivid to the artist.

Eh, social media in its current form should just find a dark corner of space to fuck off to. Social media should have started and ended with online boards.

I don’t give a flying fuck about a game developers political views. Keep that shit to yourselves and make games. Giving yourself a platform to be heard does nothing but create a division.

What is hard R? Republican? Retard? Ridiculous? Roids?

People are getting so politically correct, as a non-native speaker I can hardly keep up with all the neologisms these days.

Spaceman292

Banned
Too much time on the Internet likely leads to mental decline / mental distortion. Go outisde and smell the flowers, grow some crops, cook yourself some decent food etc etc..
Of course all these devs need to do is grow some wheat then they'll be good at making games

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I have no idea what's going on

Linus said retard?

Linus had said the term retard years ago when it was socially acceptable. The clip is about one dude thinking he was talking about saying the N word with a hard R ending, instead of the A ending.

Basically all of them are fucking retarded.

Top Bottom